Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Often, but not always. Sometimes it goes to the previous screen, sometimes it opens a new menu. Sometimes it does nothing. Also, if a link launches a new app, sometimes there's no quick gesture to go back to the previous app because the app switcher will show you as still being in the original app.

It's not enough to make me switch to Android, but I can see where the complaints come from. In similar vein, I recently got a Mac for the first time after being a lifelong Windows user, and the lack of a taskbar to very quickly switch between open apps AND see a clear visual of how many are open is still frustrating to me.

This is the app developer's fault, and it's often them ignoring iOS design guidelines and instead implementing some sort of "unified experience" using Android Material design that looks the same on both Android and iOS apps, but ends up functioning poorly than a natively designed iOS app. God I miss Apollo over the official Reddit app (great example of an app that ignores iOS design guidelines and back/forward gestures recommendations).

What do most users download when they get an Apple device? A bunch of poorly designed social media apps (unified experience!) and Material Google apps. :haw:

Android's back gesture is widly inconsistent - it can send you all over different apps and areas of the OS. The iOS's back bar is designed properly, the back gesture should function per modal or app. If your laptop had a unified back button in the top corner that worked across all applications, that would be a really weird design choice instead of just allowing each app have it's own back navigation.

iOS's gesture's are fairly consistent - you swipe the bottom home bar to jump between apps, and you swipe the left or ride side of the screen to move within the app screen's specific timeline. If an app isn't following this, it's ignoring iOS guidelines and doing whatever they want.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As a recent convert from Android to iPhone, navigation gestures and notifications are two things I feel are unquestionably better on Android vs iPhone.

Vast majority of iOS users just turn off notifications altogether for most of their apps, so they don't really care. Since most iPhone users have Apple Watches, being able to specify which notifications only go to that device is granular enough for most, it seems.

Most of Google's iOS apps leave a lot to be desired - Google Voice hasn't added any features in decades, and you can't even mute specific conversations. Google Chrome's gestures are dogshit in iOS compared to Safari's, and most of their apps don't feel like they're designed with one-handed mobile use in mind.

Navigation/Gestures-wise, which makes more sense?

Bottom navigation behaves differently on Android and iOS. When you select a bottom navigation item (one that's not currently selected), each platform displays different outcomes:

• On Android: the app navigates to a destination's top-level screen. Any prior user interactions and temporary screen states are reset, such as scroll position, tab selection, and in-line search.

• On iOS: the destination reflects the user's prior interaction. If the user previously visited that section of the app, they return to the last screen viewed (with its prior state preserved, if possible). Otherwise, the app navigates to the top-level screen.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz
Sure this has been asked before but didnt see from the last 10 pages or so; upgrading from regular iPhone 12 to either 15 PM or 14 PM. Unless I am missing some other killer feature from the apples comparison page - as far as I can tell going for 14 PM I will miss usb-c and slightly better camera. Neither for which I really care for. And where I live going for 14 PM will be 450€ cheaper. So, should just get the 14 PM? Have touched both in the store and could not really tell the difference between the 2

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah that’s about it. I’d say switching to USB C is worth it because you’ll need to switch eventually but on the other hand it’s probably smart to wait a couple years for that market to mature even if there’s already a bunch of stuff.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Corb3t posted:

If an app isn't following this, it's ignoring iOS guidelines and doing whatever they want.

This is true, but it happens a ton in my experience. Sometimes swiping left or right conflicts with swiping list items left or right to do the quick actions like marking a message as read etc. Sometimes clicking an image to make it full screen will let you swipe from the left to minimise it, sometimes you need to swipe down to close the open card, sometimes neither work and you have to tap to reveal a hidden X button in the top corner.

The back button on android has very inconsistent behaviour sometimes, like maybe it’ll take you back a page, or maybe if you got to Instagram from a link in another app it’ll take you back to the other app you came from.

Honestly neither is great, probably both depend on the app developers to some degree, but I definitely find that on iOS I occasionally want to close a card in an app and have to sort of wildly swipe around to figure out which of the three mechanisms to close it will actually work.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Your complaints about the back button seem to stem from the older days of android. My friend was demonstrating the back gesture to me on his S22 and the gesture at least always goes back to whatever the previous screen was.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Often, but not always. Sometimes it goes to the previous screen, sometimes it opens a new menu. Sometimes it does nothing. Also, if a link launches a new app, sometimes there's no quick gesture to go back to the previous app because the app switcher will show you as still being in the original app.

It's not enough to make me switch to Android, but I can see where the complaints come from. In similar vein, I recently got a Mac for the first time after being a lifelong Windows user, and the lack of a taskbar to very quickly switch between open apps AND see a clear visual of how many are open is still frustrating to me.

Just fyi from another recent lifelong windows to Mac user the equivalent to get that visual on a Mac is Mission Control. Swipe up with 3 fingers and you’ll see every open window. There’s a setting to organise them by app, which I prefer. If you don’t like gestures there’s also an icon for it in applications which you can stick on the dock. Obviously it’s not the same as the task bar but it’s literally a different OS

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The poo poo that drives me insane is when an app decides to implement their own physics for scrolling. I assume they’re just using some library that mimics Android or something but any developer that does this can gently caress right off into the sun.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pretty lol to be like this emergency alert system is bullshit because it disrupted my work emails (also an extremely American mindset). Be annoyed at Apple for putting the settings there or not explaining them clearly.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
It's so funny to see Americans in this thread getting annoyed at consumer tech actually being used to its full potential as a networked benefit to civic society for once just because it means hearing an annoying sound for like 5 seconds during the test. This is literally why the internet was created in the first place. You can go right back to using your action button shortcut to re-up your bulk buy of chlorinated pork bits from Amazon the moment the test is over. No rights are being infringed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Grumbles posted:

It's so funny to see Americans in this thread getting annoyed at consumer tech actually being used to its full potential as a networked benefit to civic society for once just because it means hearing an annoying sound for like 5 seconds during the test. This is literally why the internet was created in the first place. You can go right back to using your action button shortcut to re-up your bulk buy of chlorinated pork bits from Amazon the moment the test is over. No rights are being infringed.

Nice strawman. Nobody said anything about rights itt. Just that it was annoying as gently caress.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Nice strawman. Nobody said anything about rights itt. Just that it was annoying as gently caress.

It's supposed to be. It's an emergency alert. It's not supposed to be a pleasing background noise and it's good that you can't toggle it off.

edit: 'strawman' belongs in the same bin as all the other online debate rubric that people taught themselves in the 2010s that not only sucks all the fun and bombast out of conversation and also turns said conversation into a tedious kind of chess match

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 5, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean I don’t know what it sounded like because the moment it happened everyone in my office just frantically swiped/tapped/did whatever they could to shut the phone the gently caress up so that we could all get back to work. It was more of a nuisance if anything.

Like on the grand scheme of things one test alert is no big deal I’m not big mad about it or anything. But it is bullshit that turning off govt alerts and whatever on my phone didn’t, you know, turn off govt alerts. If we’re getting nuked I literally don’t care cause we’re all hosed anyway I’ll just find out about it when I start seeing mushroom clouds. And if another 9/11 happened 8 states away from me why do I care to get an alert about it? What am I going to do with this information?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zwille posted:

Yeah that’s about it. I’d say switching to USB C is worth it because you’ll need to switch eventually but on the other hand it’s probably smart to wait a couple years for that market to mature even if there’s already a bunch of stuff.
What? It's as mature as it's going to be - Androids have been using it for years at this point. Any quick search on Amazon will bring you dozens of pages of cables, charging bricks, and other accessories. If it gets any better than it is now, it's going to be so marginal as to be irrelevant unless you absolutely must buy Apple-branded stuff.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

StinkingHomo posted:

Sure this has been asked before but didnt see from the last 10 pages or so; upgrading from regular iPhone 12 to either 15 PM or 14 PM. Unless I am missing some other killer feature from the apples comparison page - as far as I can tell going for 14 PM I will miss usb-c and slightly better camera. Neither for which I really care for. And where I live going for 14 PM will be 450€ cheaper. So, should just get the 14 PM? Have touched both in the store and could not really tell the difference between the 2

Yeah , the 15 Pro Max is def not a $450+ value over the 14 Pro Max at all. For that margin , unless you are someone who absolutely wants the latest (doesn’t sound like it) I would get the 14 pro max and save the $450 Euro.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

The Grumbles posted:

You should have seen how people reacted to being asked to wear a mask and social distance in public. Literal murder.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I don't really know how phone contracts work over in the US, but here the main way most people get a phone is just as part of a 2 year contract with a mobile network. And then it's up to you whether you want to jump ship to a rolling SIM-only plan, or to upgrade.

Anyway I've got a 13 mini which I've had for a year or so, after selling on the Pixel 6 that I originally got as part of my contract. I'll be able to upgrade in 2 months and I'm considering getting a (non-max) 15 Pro, which would be another 2 year contract at only like £5 per month more than my current plan.

Performance-wise the mini is fine, size-wise its an absolute dream, but I think over the past year it's felt more like the battery size doesn't always fit in with my lifestyle, and I'm aware it'd only get worse as the battery degrades. . Does going from the 13 mini to a 15 pro seem like a decent leap to people? Is the battery really significantly better even if you don't spring for the Pro Max? Should I just get over to myself and hold on to the mini a while longer? Would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

I don't really know how phone contracts work over in the US, but here the main way most people get a phone is just as part of a 2 year contract with a mobile network. And then it's up to you whether you want to jump ship to a rolling SIM-only plan, or to upgrade.

The trend is America is to shift "contracts" to how you pay for your device. So carriers can advertise that they don't lock you in and you have all this freedom but in reality if you want any type of promotion you must agree to finance your phone with them for the full term of the contract, and some carriers are taking that to 3+ years.

Then if you try to leave early you will lose your monthly credit that was the original "Get $800 off a new iphone" offer that likely sucked you in.

If you don't finance a device you're able to move around carriers more freely.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The alert didn't bother me (unlike when Florida accidentally sent one at 5:00 AM) but it's weird that turning them off doesn't actually turn them off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This implementation of emergency alerts is fine and assuming they'd only use this system for actual catastrophes like nukes are inbound I can forgive the lack of options to get rid of them.

I do feel like the UI needs tidied up though. It should pop an 'ok' button to positively acknowledge message receipt and silence that godawful emergency tone. If they intend to do regular tests of the system I feel like this will get more important.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They only do it once every 3 years, it’s fine.

It’s purposefully designed to be loud, obtrusive and not easily avoided or dismissed.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

What? It's as mature as it's going to be - Androids have been using it for years at this point. Any quick search on Amazon will bring you dozens of pages of cables, charging bricks, and other accessories. If it gets any better than it is now, it's going to be so marginal as to be irrelevant unless you absolutely must buy Apple-branded stuff.

Yeah guess that shows I don’t know jack poo poo about USB C :v: I was thinking specialized stuff like mag safe uhhh powerbanks? Essentially stuff that’s not been thought of yet but seeing as there’s already MagSafe USB C fans it’s a moot point but sometimes the market has some surprises when stuff becomes more uhh mainstream (yeah I’m aware USB C is kind of an old hat)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

The poo poo that drives me insane is when an app decides to implement their own physics for scrolling. I assume they’re just using some library that mimics Android or something but any developer that does this can gently caress right off into the sun.

The most infuriating experience is when an app chooses to send me to the top of an area's screen when I use the back/forward gesture instead of continuing where I left off. It usually only happens in lovely social media apps.

This is an Android thing, yes? Per the Material guidelines outlined above:

"On Android: the app navigates to a destination's top-level screen. Any prior user interactions and temporary screen states are reset, such as scroll position, tab selection, and in-line search."

This is another one of those weird design choices - People would really prefer to be sent back to the top of where they left off on a prior screen? I find myself clicking through links and returning to a previous screen quite often and NOT wanting to be taken to the top.

Zwille posted:

Yeah guess that shows I don’t know jack poo poo about USB C :v: I was thinking specialized stuff like mag safe uhhh powerbanks? Essentially stuff that’s not been thought of yet but seeing as there’s already MagSafe USB C fans it’s a moot point but sometimes the market has some surprises when stuff becomes more uhh mainstream (yeah I’m aware USB C is kind of an old hat)

The Nintendo Switch and original MacBooks were the first to really lean into USB C back in 2016/2017, so there's plenty of accessories nowadays, including pricy 2-3-4 port USB C bricks that can output 100-200W concurrently to fast charge things like a Steam Deck @ 45W, MacBook @ 50W-100W, iPhone + Switch @ 24W, etc.

My favorite new-ish USB C accessory is one of those cables with a LED display built into the one of the ends that shows the wattage, just because I'm one of those weirdos who likes knowing what my devices are charging at, or whether or not one of my USB C devices can't charge with a usb-c to usb-c cable (its quite often). USB C is a cluster.

100W USB C to USB C cable with LCD Display

This third-party MagSafe that uses a USB C to USB C cable and has a built-in stand is also nice.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 5, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The alert didn't bother me (unlike when Florida accidentally sent one at 5:00 AM) but it's weird that turning them off doesn't actually turn them off.

Yeah, but phone companies still have to comply with law.

If people are mad at their phone because it made a noise that upset them, they should write their congresspeople instead of hollering at Apple/Google/whoever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

When I open the Youtube app now it pops the island as an Airplay shortcut and this is the first good change to the Youtube app ever.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

njsykora posted:

When I open the Youtube app now it pops the island as an Airplay shortcut and this is the first good change to the Youtube app ever.

I am assuming this is an iOS change relating to the now playing widget library, so it would not be a change the app developers are implementing. Music app and others do that too now.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Corb3t posted:

This third-party MagSafe that uses a USB C to USB C cable and has a built-in stand is also nice.

that's neat! I bought one of these for my Pro and its pretty great, i can just plug them in the charging brick. Really nice to not have to bother with extra cables.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the emergency signal was p much what I expected. I just reminded many of my tattooist friends about it the day before because I didn't want them to be pulling a line on somebody's arm and suddenly their phone screeches at them unexpectedly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Corb3t posted:

The most infuriating experience is when an app chooses to send me to the top of an area's screen when I use the back/forward gesture instead of continuing where I left off. It usually only happens in lovely social media apps.

This is an Android thing, yes? Per the Material guidelines outlined above:

"On Android: the app navigates to a destination's top-level screen. Any prior user interactions and temporary screen states are reset, such as scroll position, tab selection, and in-line search."

This is another one of those weird design choices - People would really prefer to be sent back to the top of where they left off on a prior screen? I find myself clicking through links and returning to a previous screen quite often and NOT wanting to be taken to the top.

This feels like what happens in a crappy SPA web app where you have a form page that is being dynamically generated and you've scrolled down six pages, you submit it, and the page repaints with new results (which are brief, like maybe a much shorter form section) without pushing to a new URL, and now you have to manually scroll back up to the top because the app doesn't do it automatically. Wonder if this is a React Native thing

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is it just me or has autocorrect gone to poo poo in iOS 17?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xabi posted:

Autocorrect has never been good as it doesn't allow you to create or use modern internet slang, or deliberately misspell something for comedic/dramatic effect

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's supposed to be using one of those newfangled LLMs to better guess what you're writing.

As usual, for most people it doesn't work fantastically

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xabi posted:

Yep

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Corb3t posted:

The Nintendo Switch and original MacBooks were the first to really lean into USB C back in 2016/2017, so there's plenty of accessories nowadays, including pricy 2-3-4 port USB C bricks that can output 100-200W concurrently to fast charge things like a Steam Deck @ 45W, MacBook @ 50W-100W, iPhone + Switch @ 24W, etc.

The Switch isn't really USB-C. It uses the form factor but proprietary Nintendo bullshit that can destroy things if you use 3rd party stuff.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The Switch isn't really USB-C. It uses the form factor but proprietary Nintendo bullshit that can destroy things if you use 3rd party stuff.

At the very least, a Nintendo Switch can be charged with any USB C to USB C cable and a USB C PD power brick, which can't be said with dozens of cheaper USB C devices on the market - they often have to be charged with a USB A to USB C cable. The Switch's USB C display stuff is where it gets really wonky.

USB C in general is a cluster. You come across a random USB C to USB C cable in your house. Can it charge devices? What wattage does at tap out at? Can it do data? What data speeds does it have? For every nerd excited to jump on board with USB C, there's somebody like my non-tech friend who is still buying USB A to Lightning cables because their only USB C device is a MacBook, and they don't ever connect their phone to their laptop. They're annoyed they have to buy new bricks and cables for everything.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Corb3t posted:

At the very least, a Nintendo Switch can be charged with any USB C to USB C cable and a USB C PD power brick, which can't be said with dozens of cheaper USB C devices on the market - they often have to be charged with a USB A to USB C cable. The Switch's USB C display stuff is where it gets really wonky.

USB C in general is a cluster. You come across a random USB C to USB C cable in your house. Can it charge devices? What wattage does at tap out at? Can it do data? What data speeds does it have? For every nerd excited to jump on board with USB C, there's somebody like my non-tech friend who is still buying USB A to Lightning cables because their only USB C device is a MacBook, and they don't ever connect their phone to their laptop. They're annoyed they have to buy new bricks and cables for everything.
The Switch can get bricked if you use a regular USB-C dock or charger. Last I heard, docks were the bigger problem, but both are risks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Autocorrect has never been good as it doesn't allow you to create or use modern internet slang, or deliberately misspell something for comedic/dramatic effect

You can absolutely set text replacements so you can tell the phone when you write "gently caress" it will not replace it with "duck". Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement. You can even set it so you can have certain words trigger emojis- I have "g o s h" turn into ✨🙀✨ for example.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

The Switch can get bricked if you use a regular USB-C dock or charger. Last I heard, docks were the bigger problem, but both are risks.

This was a thing that happened when it first came out and it hasn’t been a thing for years now.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've used my 100w USB C PD MacBook brick to charge my Nintendo Switch for years now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’ve also used a 3rd party dock with my Switch and it still works okay. Skull and Co I think?

It’s a real nice USB-C deal that also can be used to expand ports for a USB-C laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw the switch came out when usb c was still relatively new.

USB c still has issues but it’s getting better.

I’m sure usb d will solve these issues.