Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't particularly mind that MCU movies are so popular or that most people seem to only watch them as far as movies go, I even liked them pretty well til the story arc ended with Infinity War, but it sucks that there is no such thing as a mid budget movie any more. There's indie stuff and high budget stuff but rarely something in between. It's partially why I think that things like comedy movies aren't much of a thing anymore. I know a lot of people seem to be fine with watching everything on their TV but I still think there's something to be said for going to a giant screen and watching a movie with a bunch of strangers and would like that to stick around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Famethrowa posted:

unfortunately they dont make many new comedies :(

They do! but they are super hero movies.

There is also drama, sports, romance, noir, and all the other genres that you can fit in super hero movies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marvel and Disney don't make movies they make 2.5 hour commercials.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I loving love seeing films in the theater. I saw Stop Making Sense in IMAX a couple weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. I am so glad I was able to share that experience with my niece who saw it for the first time.

That said, I rarely go to the theater. There’s something like 70-some screens within 10 miles of me, but at any given time I only have 10 or so movies to choose from because they all play the exact same poo poo on multiple screens. The one great indie theater in the area closed during Covid and reopened as yet another major studio multiplex, and I am not going into NYC every loving weekend just to see a movie I am actually interested in. Why is it too much to ask that one of the 10 multiplexes here dedicate one screen to smaller films rather than having 3 theaters of the new Saw?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t know if mentioning the front page in that ad is a great idea.
there's a front page??

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

I loving love seeing films in the theater. I saw Stop Making Sense in IMAX a couple weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. I am so glad I was able to share that experience with my niece who saw it for the first time.

That said, I rarely go to the theater. There’s something like 70-some screens within 10 miles of me, but at any given time I only have 10 or so movies to choose from because they all play the exact same poo poo on multiple screens. The one great indie theater in the area closed during Covid and reopened as yet another major studio multiplex, and I am not going into NYC every loving weekend just to see a movie I am actually interested in. Why is it too much to ask that one of the 10 multiplexes here dedicate one screen to smaller films rather than having 3 theaters of the new Saw?

do you want to watch a movie

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My local doing a big renovation upgrade to assigned seating powered oversize recliners got me to go back. Such a superior experience compared to ripped fold down seats and smelly, sticky floors.
Watching the latest spiderverse with my daughter there was a priceless experience. Stuff made to really use the big screen and sound system make it more worthwhile to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

New Saw is actually good. It’s a revenge horror drama movie. Tobin Bell is great

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i have both a decent TV and sound system, but even if i had one of those fancy $50,000 home theater set ups,, i still would want to go to the actual theater. part of the fun of going to the theater is obviously wanting to see the movies, but a good part of it is the theater experience itself. it's fun to react with the audience when something funny or cool happens on-screen*. you can't replicate that experience at home. i understand sometimes you can deal with unruly people, but thankfully 99% of my theater trips have been perfectly fine

*back in the day when The Village came out, i went to see it with a friend of mine. we were all seemingly enjoying the movie throughout. the suspense and dread was building up nicely, everyone was at the edge of their seat, thing were just going well.

....at least, it was until the "the twist" was revealed, and holy poo poo, i am not exaggerating when i tell you that it seemed like literally EVERYONE in the theater audibly groaned in unison. there were a bunch of comments like "are you loving kidding me?"s and "what the hell was that?"s interspersed throughout. and when it became clear that everyone was saying what everyone else was thinking, the groans eventually erupted into laughter. it was incredible. i never experienced anything like that, before or since. i was so glad to see that we were all on the same page cause i was pissed.

the movie wound up sucking rear end, but it was all worth it for that reaction. it was awesome :unsmith:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 5, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

B33rChiller posted:

My local doing a big renovation upgrade to assigned seating powered oversize recliners got me to go back. Such a superior experience compared to ripped fold down seats and smelly, sticky floors.
Watching the latest spiderverse with my daughter there was a priceless experience. Stuff made to really use the big screen and sound system make it more worthwhile to me.

In my experience the only time a theater is any good is like, the first month after it opens. The nearest theater to me was great after it opened, just like you describe. Now all those nice, comfortable, seats are half broken and either don't recline, or are permanently stuck in recline mode and nearly every single one looks like a bear mauled it. The interior used to be nice, clean, and maintained with some light up displays of movie posters to show what was playing in the theaters and what was coming out soon, now most of those are half burnt out or broken and the floor is just ragged and stained so it looks like you're walking through the set of a horror film. The place isn't even a decade old and it's gone to utter poo poo, you show up at the time the movie starts and it's about thirty minutes of ads and twenty minutes of previews then you can finally see your movie.

For the price of a movie ticket, not even including the price of theater food, I can just get some takeout and watch a movie at home in the dark and be less at risk of getting covid and less annoyed at all the noise other people are making.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

unfortunately they dont make many new comedies :(

This year had a bunch of real good ones at least! No Hard Feelings, Theater Camp, and Bottoms were all p enjoyable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I like taking my nephews to see kids movies because going to the cinema is still An Event to them and I live through their excitement.

gently caress no I'm not going to the cinema by myself though, I can't pause the movie when I inevitably need to go for a piss half an hour in. The ads aren't even unique cinema ads any more either it's just the same poo poo you get on TV except maybe also with a big effort ad for the cinema you're in thrown in. That all said my local cinema is pretty nice because they built it in a building not designed for it (after moving out of a building less than 500m away that was designed for it and is still empty) so the seats are tiered really steeply and that's pretty nice.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 5, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Eeeeeeeee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BsXWdbSFM

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
theaters are an enjoyable communal experience bc its fun to laugh with other people and gasp in unison when something shocking happens. on the other hand im constantly thinking abt that story that i think don mccoy, a podcast guy, told about going to a movie theater and the woman next to him unwrapped a whole roasted fish wrapped in newspaper and started eating it

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Slotducks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEyVl14GgyE

Nerd City is back where he viciously attacks Gary Vee and his NFT marketing but is plugging his NFT project at the end?
What the gently caress? loving weird, man.

My confidence that their nft thing was just a bit faded long ago. From what I’ve seen they fell for the Idea of digital collectibles hard and weren’t evil enough to get paid.

EDIT: I super lost hope last year specifically when they started going after Dan Olson

MrQueasy fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 5, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

theaters are an enjoyable communal experience bc its fun to laugh with other people and gasp in unison when something shocking happens. on the other hand im constantly thinking abt that story that i think don mccoy, a podcast guy, told about going to a movie theater and the woman next to him unwrapped a whole roasted fish wrapped in newspaper and started eating it

This is gross but you got a funny story to tell! That’s something at least

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fun hater posted:

lol

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

fun hater posted:

I think that was Stephen Sajdak from We Hate Movies who had that story. Unless there are multiple people out there terrorising cinemas with whole fish

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

without theaters, we would have never gotten the "he eatin beans" post

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Sandwich posted:

I think that was Stephen Sajdak from We Hate Movies who had that story. Unless there are multiple people out there terrorising cinemas with whole fish

yeah that anecdote's 19 minutes into the Secret Window episode.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My mom and sisters once snuck an entire bucket of KFC into a theater.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Weird Sandwich posted:

gently caress you're probably right. i knew it had to be some new york podcaster, but that wouldn't narrow it down at all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

8one6 posted:

My mom and sisters once snuck an entire bucket of KFC into a theater.

disgusting

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

new york sickens me

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ghostlight posted:

there's a front page??

Yes, and you're on it.

Because somethingawful.com just redirects to forums.somethingawful.com nowadays.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Weird Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzm49SIednw

fun hater
May 24, 2009

god its so good. like a candybar

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

MrQueasy posted:

My confidence that their nft thing was just a bit faded long ago. From what I’ve seen they fell for the Idea of digital collectibles hard and weren’t evil enough to get paid.

EDIT: I super lost hope last year specifically when they started going after Dan Olson

They do seem like utter twats.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flying Zamboni posted:

The theater experience owns, mostly.
if ever in the boston or southern new hampshire area, check out Chunky's Cinema Pub, it's the only theater I will go to anymore because it combines the comfort of sitting in a recliner at home with all the leg room I could want with some decent food and a movie. tickets are also dirt cheap, like 5-7 bucks, the food is where they get you. but even then it's like $50 for two meals, an appetizer, a pitcher of soda(with ice on the side, not wasting space in the pitcher itself), and two tickets, which really isn't bad at all. the chairs are literally old lincoln town car seats welded to wheeled scaffolding so you can recline and move around to find the most comfortable way to sit and sometimes they even still have the armrest attached, you're at a table instead of in stationary rows. the food's not bad, either, it's pretty standard pub food but sometimes they experiment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGqZFWKbTZU&hd=1

covid really hosed them up though, they closed one of their locations(down to 3), and drastically cut back on the menu, they used to do a lot of experimenting with things like lobster macaroni, and some pretty big sandwich variety, but now they've largely switched to a static menu with temporary menus for big blockbusters(my favorite thematic item was a mario alcoholic drink for the mario movie that had a green straw "pipe" and a strawberry with the tip in white frosting which made it look like a pirahna plant :3: ). I miss their pitcher of margarita. but they're doing pretty good these days I think, most showings I go to have at minimum 25% capacity, and they do lots of standup comedy, events, and drag shows basically every week in addition to movies.

also their menu is all movie references, though they've since removed some of my favorites, like The Titanic meatball sub. :v:

Bakeneko posted:

All of the ones I've ever gone to have started the ads playing at the time the movie is supposed to start. Maybe there are more before that but all the times I've been over the past like 5 years or so I showed up on time, or even a little late, and counted the 30+ minutes from there.
this is insane to me, that has to be a UK thing yeah

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ads when the movie start is pretty standard for southwest and midwest chain theaters as far as I've seen in the US. Before start time they have a slow moving slide show of trivia and text ads. Once you hit the supposed start time is when actual film ads play for 15-30 minutes.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mr Interweb posted:

i have both a decent TV and sound system, but even if i had one of those fancy $50,000 home theater set ups,, i still would want to go to the actual theater. part of the fun of going to the theater is obviously wanting to see the movies, but a good part of it is the theater experience itself. it's fun to react with the audience when something funny or cool happens on-screen*. you can't replicate that experience at home. i understand sometimes you can deal with unruly people, but thankfully 99% of my theater trips have been perfectly fine

*back in the day when The Village came out, i went to see it with a friend of mine. we were all seemingly enjoying the movie throughout. the suspense and dread was building up nicely, everyone was at the edge of their seat, thing were just going well.

....at least, it was until the "the twist" was revealed, and holy poo poo, i am not exaggerating when i tell you that it seemed like literally EVERYONE in the theater audibly groaned in unison. there were a bunch of comments like "are you loving kidding me?"s and "what the hell was that?"s interspersed throughout. and when it became clear that everyone was saying what everyone else was thinking, the groans eventually erupted into laughter. it was incredible. i never experienced anything like that, before or since. i was so glad to see that we were all on the same page cause i was pissed.

the movie wound up sucking rear end, but it was all worth it for that reaction. it was awesome :unsmith:

I don't even remember my theater's reaction to the twist in The Village because during the scene when the woman's being chased through the woods by the monster, some poor girl 10 seats down from me started screaming bloody murder. Actual, terrified shrieking. Kinda took the rest of us out of it, lol.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, the Nerd City guys decided that the issue with NFTs was that the collections were filled with crappy, lazy art and not that they were inherently a piece of crap and a scam so, instead of joining the grift while the grift was good, they spent time and effort designing and making their own NFTs.

Or, as they said:

quote:

I’m enjoying the symmetry of putting it right after the demon worship reveal, because: CRYPTO-gasp-oɟqγɿɔ?????! This is the NEW “satanic-panic” of the month.

I’m going to take a moment to address everyone who is feeling so deeply uncomfortable that I’m going to talk about crypto at all, in my usual style of video. If you won’t even let me on the court to criticize it in a neutral way, that’s very suspicious that one side has gone overboard with their slamdunk game-over style of unfair argument.

After the merch series, I feel it’s impossible for me not to make these videos I’m making. It’s a perfect fit, we’re the right series to do it, and I don’t even feel like I have a choice. I aim to do as much good as I can with it, and I feel a strong conviction that I can do some net good.

Yes, I’ve watched “The Line Goes Up”, and I understood it, and I didn’t even fast forward through his iamverysmart jerk off digression into mortgage-backed-derivatives at the start that he used to establish credibility in the viewer’s minds. Yes I’ve watched: “Why Are NFTs So Ugly,” by Solar Sands. Not bad! I’ve seen every viral mob-tested opinion piece and fact checked enough of the math.

I’m writing this because I want you and anyone else who feels safe demonstrating in the hate mob against “N F T s” to realize that no, you aren’t acting more virtuously than if you had just kept your mouth zipped and didn’t hit the streets. You aren’t safe in a Twitter mob, and your borrowed opinion doesn’t add anything to the conversation. All I ask at minimum is that you reserve your harshest judgements on me for now, if we have a relationship at this point. Definitely don’t buy monkey jpegs, they aren’t a good investment. But also don’t bully artists who dip their toes into tokenizing their art.

The videos will take some time to finish, but they won’t be too much longer to wait on.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dangerous Person posted:

Seeing a classic comedy in a packed theater is the best thing ever

"Packed theater" always makes me shudder. I can barely stand the normal human density in my city. And I say this as someone who goes to movie theaters purely for social reasons. (Over the years, I've learned that going into the theater alone sucks rear end.)

Correspondingly, as I normally live like a hermit, there was a long phase in my life where I just did not go to the movie theater in over a decade, but then I met someone who has a similarly bad taste in movies, and now we occasionally go into nearly empty theaters together, to make fun of whatever bullshit the movie tries to sell us. :allears:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I liked the Nerd City videos I watched years ago, but holy poo poo how did NFTs rot this dude’s brain lmao.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's not me being swindled by hustlers causing me to put too much time and effort into a failed project. It is you who refuse to engage who are the villains

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

trucutru posted:

Lol, the Nerd City guys decided that the issue with NFTs was that the collections were filled with crappy, lazy art and not that they were inherently a piece of crap and a scam so, instead of joining the grift while the grift was good, they spent time and effort designing and making their own NFTs.

Or, as they said:

lol at watching Dan's extremely solid and boiled down explanation of the 2008 financial crash and making out it was an attempt to appear smart instead of extremely relevant to crypto and NFTs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But it was worth it as season one of the collection sold out! (Season 2 only minted 5%)

So 5253 beautiful pieces of art with a mint cost of 0.05 eth and 81 eth worth of transactions (with a 5% fee for the creators) that's a total of ~263 eth. With eth at around $1600 in worthless fiat currently that's 430k in total. Divided between at least six people, minus all the transaction fees and whatever.

Which may not sound like much but has helped them acquire these beauts (God, I love how everything blockchain related is just open for anybody to see). Well, in the case of JustinTrudape and Ghislape Maxwell (don't search for this one) they also created them.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 5, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I don't know how being a nerd became synonymous with being smart, because by Christ there's surely been enough evidence by now that that's no longer the case.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

I don't know how being a nerd became synonymous with being smart, because by Christ there's surely been enough evidence by now that that's no longer the case.

it never was, nerds just like telling themselves this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

I guess you gotta give something to a theater willing to display a Delta Farce poster. But no way could I deal with those seats. I need armrests if I am going to watch a movie for 3 hours.