Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
havent had much time to watch it. took me two days to finish the mind wiped slave labour ice planet episode. its the one that homer line comes from. i feel like daniel pitched the episode because he got swole over break or something. he only has a shirt on for like 2 scenes. was an ok episode.

the one im currently watching seems interesting though its about a conspiracy nut who knows about sg1

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

havent had much time to watch it. took me two days to finish the mind wiped slave labour ice planet episode. its the one that homer line comes from. i feel like daniel pitched the episode because he got swole over break or something. he only has a shirt on for like 2 scenes. was an ok episode.

the one im currently watching seems interesting though its about a conspiracy nut who knows about sg1

Nice back to back episodes, total change of pace.

Martin Lloyd is a fantastic side character.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Nice back to back episodes, total change of pace.

Martin Lloyd is a fantastic side character.

yeah i kind of enjoyed him part way through the episode the phone call and the diner scene were meh.

the jack and tealc in the glider episode was pretty good i was sort of expecting one or both of their "math" to be self sacrafice was kinda suprised it didnt.

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 2, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I loved that Jack and Teal'c on the runaway ship episode. How it showed everyone working together to save them. The last shot of the episode is people throwing papers up in the air in celebration, as everyone celebrates. It's wonderful.

Wet Bulb Drip
Jul 27, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I never watched it. Is it worth watching now?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wet Bulb Drip posted:

Heck yeah! It really holds up. If you're in the US the whole series is on Amazon Prime, and also airs on Comet TV.

Its such a fun show.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This thread has a had a first watch or two already, the TVIV has had several, people seem to still enjoy it as a first watch now. There's really not even much that needs to be set as "that was just acceptable in the 90s" unlike most old shows. There's some but they mostly get that out of the way. First episode uncensored is a very different feel. There's boobies in it for some reason.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

This thread has a had a first watch or two already, the TVIV has had several, people seem to still enjoy it as a first watch now. There's really not even much that needs to be set as "that was just acceptable in the 90s" unlike most old shows. There's some but they mostly get that out of the way. First episode uncensored is a very different feel. There's boobies in it for some reason.

The show started on Showtime, so boobies were probably required.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Wet Bulb Drip posted:

i started watching it for the first time pretty recently. its pretty good and not pretty good for a 90s show. its actually good. i will say that the mongol episode you should probably skip immediatly its that trash. the second you hear daniel say they are mongols just skip to the next episode. irc it was the second episode in s1. im in s4 and theres a bit of a lull but the episodes arent bad just not as engaging as some of the other episodes. although the episode i just finished up was really good and
an interesting idea so i doubt it stays in a lull for a long period of time.

the episode i just finished is the ao shin one. where they steralized 90% of the planet and they are star experts. so the sg1 team reunites to use the star gate to send a message back. their plan was kinda dumb though why didnt they all write a note including tealc who could of easily got his through the star gate before jack daniel and sam were mowed down. also jesus christ tealc was like 200 in that episode was shot like 30 times while dialing out and then took out like 5 turrets it was pretty bad rear end.

infact jack suggests they all write their own note and everyone dies trying to get his note through. i am hoping they will be like yeah literally all of your blood is on it and it be a sort of mystery they look into or refrence. maybe it makes them slightly more cautious.

snergle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 3, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

i started watching it for the first time pretty recently. its pretty good and not pretty good for a 90s show. its actually good. i will say that the mongol episode you should probably skip immediatly its that trash. the second you hear daniel say they are mongols just skip to the next episode. irc it was the second episode in s1. im in s4 and theres a bit of a lull but the episodes arent bad just not as engaging as some of the other episodes. although the episode i just finished up was really good and
an interesting idea so i doubt it stays in a lull for a long period of time.

the episode i just finished is the ao shin one. where they steralized 90% of the planet and they are star experts. so the sg1 team reunites to use the star gate to send a message back. their plan was kinda dumb though why didnt they all write a note including tealc who could of easily got his through the star gate before jack daniel and sam were mowed down. also jesus christ tealc was like 200 in that episode was shot like 30 times while dialing out and then took out like 5 turrets it was pretty bad rear end.

infact jack suggests they all write their own note and everyone dies trying to get his note through. i am hoping they will be like yeah literally all of your blood is on it and it be a sort of mystery they look into or refrence. maybe it makes them slightly more cautious.

That's a fantastic episode and without spoiling you much, there's a fantastic follow up in a season or 2 (episode named 2001).

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

what fate omoroca!!!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

what fate omoroca!!!

Aliens remember they're not actually supposed to know any English at such awkward times.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

itry posted:

Aliens remember they're not actually supposed to know any English at such awkward times.

It was the 13th episode (I looked it up to get the correct spelling) they were still going for a we don't have a universal translator so Daniel needs to figure out the local language then teach us thing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

It was the 13th episode (I looked it up to get the correct spelling) they were still going for a we don't have a universal translator so Daniel needs to figure out the local language then teach us thing.

I love that they don't have a UT either. Just everyone speaks English. Even aliens from an entirely different galaxy.

From a story telling perspective, it just makes everything so much easier.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

To be fair (not sure who to) there wouldn't be much of an episode if that specific alien could just speak flawless English. Meh... It's just one more thing they didn't bother being consistent with. It works in a vacuum.

Edit:

redshirt posted:

I love that they don't have a UT either. Just everyone speaks English. Even aliens from an entirely different galaxy.

From a story telling perspective, it just makes everything so much easier.

I much prefer Farscape's treatment of language. It makes internal sense, and can be played with (or dropped altogether) if needed for story purposes. Like the episodes on Earth, or any creature with complicated language, or when one side doesn't have the microbes.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 3, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i just assume they got some universal translator off screen that works for most earth based languages because human aliens usually cock their head to the side then start speaking in english. so i assume their translator has like a southern accent for what ever language they are speaking. the episode where they are on the original unas / gould planet and daniel has to learn unas is such a great daniel episode i really enjoyed the eat no eat no eat no sequence it was really charming. not all languages are earth based so it doesnt always work

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

snergle posted:

i just assume they got some universal translator off screen that works for most earth based languages because human aliens usually cock their head to the side then start speaking in english. so i assume their translator has like a southern accent for what ever language they are speaking. the episode where they are on the original unas / gould planet and daniel has to learn unas is such a great daniel episode i really enjoyed the eat no eat no eat no sequence it was really charming. not all languages are earth based so it doesnt always work

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

naaaaaaaaaaaaan

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

great we're playing a game toss the symbiote head

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
the two parter at the end of s4 was great. i love that they do a sort of movie for the final 2 episodes and begining 1-2 episodes of the next season are usually tied to that to.

apothis is definatly dead and replicators are maybe in the milky way but they are under the assumption they arent.

i currently have osirius and tannith as possible future bad guys dealing with tealcs mind contol as their current priority and replicators as a lurking enemy. i have to wonder how many system lords are left. of the ones we have named they have 1 left. there has to be more or replacements we will see soon.

pixaal posted:

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

naaaaaaaaaaaaan

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

great we're playing a game toss the symbiote head

the best part is the semi reversal where daniel gives him a little debbie snack or something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

oh man mind control tech, just jogged a memory of me and a friend reciting a jingle every time Rya'c is on screen "Apophis loves me, he loves me a bunch, cuz he puts worms in my gut" to the tune of the old Skippy peanut butter ad if you want to do it right.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

snergle posted:

According to the director in later seasons they don't have to work with languages evey time anymore because of little nanites in the stargates, now stop asking.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Tunicate posted:

According to the director in later seasons they don't have to work with languages evey time anymore because of little nanites in the stargates, now stop asking.

lol. i prefer my way. they have a hill billy accented earth based translator.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

lol. i prefer my way. they have a hill billy accented earth based translator.

Unless its magic Star Trek tech, there's no way a Stargate level tech translator would work with brand new civilizations. Or heck, in different galaxies.

Unless you want to Daniel Jackson it and say everyone speaks a variation of Ancient. But that's a stretch.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

What if an ancient is going through the gate with them and doing all the translations? Just kind of a hobby and a thing for playing with the no interference clause or whatever they called the bullshit on why they don't do more or care about this galaxy anymore.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Unless its magic Star Trek tech, there's no way a Stargate level tech translator would work with brand new civilizations. Or heck, in different galaxies.

Unless you want to Daniel Jackson it and say everyone speaks a variation of Ancient. But that's a stretch.

thats what i mean by earth based. the language has roots in a language spoken on earth. like the first season he is always oh their greek or roman or mongolian etc and speaks to them in the modern / classical version of it. but then for example the unas that shits not based on earth so he has to learn it on the fly.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

snergle posted:

thats what i mean by earth based. the language has roots in a language spoken on earth. like the first season he is always oh their greek or roman or mongolian etc and speaks to them in the modern / classical version of it. but then for example the unas that shits not based on earth so he has to learn it on the fly.

Temba, his arms open.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Teal'c his eyebrow raised

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The Setesh guard's nose

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Thor, his finger in the air

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Atlantis is great for the sole fact that the bad guys are space goth vampires.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

Wouldn't they be Goa'uld based language? Assuming Goa'ulds were responsible for much/most historical cultures on Earth, and elsewhere.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Wouldn't they be Goa'uld based language? Assuming Goa'ulds were responsible for much/most historical cultures on Earth, and elsewhere.

It was actually the other way around iirc. The goauld copied pre-existing earth culture to take advantage of humans.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Due to their parasitic nature they are scavengers, it is a theme thing they have basically no culture of their own other than the rituals we see with Lord Yu.

If you have to ask, ancient did it

pixaal fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 5, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
yeah i took it the way pixaal / armachan said that goulds just steal everything and came to earth and were like oh poo poo humans are way better hosts then unas lets pretend to be their gods which is why the system lords are from all cultures / except norse.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah the Asgard did the same thing with Norse gods but they were chill obviously

Edit: lmao I got to season 7 episode 14 and I forgot that they did one with the same plot as The Core

Armacham fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 5, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
And it also explains why they so often got defeated. Yeah they had all this power and technology, but they didn't really create/earn a most of it and then they just started resting on their laurels,. Their biggest challenge was in fighting.

I mean and earth people all had massive plot armor obviously,

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I guess I am a little rusty on my Goa'uld history: Wasn't Ra on Earth for thousands of years?

If so, I assume there would be massive cultural and linguistic changes over all those years of living under a Goa'uld.

Also, even if on all those planets that humans got resettled to, assuming they all started with the same language (dubious but let's roll with it),
over thousands of years living in isolation or in slavery on some alien world is going to result in big changes in language.

All that said, I'm glad SG-1 doesn't make much of an effort to explain it. For a fictional TV show, it would be super tedious to have to deal with it.
But it's fun to think about.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
as the old saying goes: "just repeat to yourself 'it's just a show. I should really just relax.'"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

as the old saying goes: "just repeat to yourself 'it's just a show. I should really just relax.'"

Just having some fun discussions on the internet, thanks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Scratch Monkey posted:

If it's just a show why does my doctor say I have a worm in my brain. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
that's part of the show