Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

“More important though is the number to the far right: 15 percent. That’s Edmonton’s chances of winning it all, the highest of any team by a considerable margin; five percentage points. The Oilers are not just a contender, they’re the Stanley Cup favorite, period.”

This sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1709911757106405833?t=v9wDzWYqT_bbrMkTOwo-OQ&s=19

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

the sure is some "defense" by the jackets there

I mean, to be fair, both teams were doing this from what I've seen:

https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1709739402614743282?t=-yrRSPFTzP0tWotOZNWjug&s=19

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
*taps the ty rattie memorial trophy for doing a good job in preseason and maybe a good job when games eventually count against real players too???*

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

This sucks!

Counterpoint:

The Oilers fuckin rock

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Counterpoint:

The Oilers fuckin rock

I am bracing myself for McDavid's joyless, dead eyed cup lift in June.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody else excited by your team’s preseason? The Caps seem to be a breath of fresh air. Lavs is gone and Carberry is making waves with the young kids. I’m not fooling myself into thinking we’re a playoff team yet but I love where this is going. They definitely seem healthier for however long that lasts…

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fawning deference posted:

This rules so much

We're cool with the Hawks now?

ThinkTank posted:

This sucks!

Isn't it weird how the isolated offensive impacts of <everyone who plays a lot with McDrai> suddenly shot up like that?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The Pens look uninspiring and listless. So that's less than ideal. How much is trying to integrate new bodies into Sullivan's system, playing at 2/3rds speed, or they're finally fully over the hill and a spent force I do not know. Ned's play in goal has been a decent bright spot... otherwise it's basically every question you could have about the roster is still there. Austin Wagner likely earned a contract which good for him but it doesn't matter which 2 able bodies you put on the ice they're still having to drag Jeff Carter around. I also harbor significant concerns over Bryan Rust and the ability of the top 6 more generally.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody else excited by your team’s preseason?

My team started it by losing 10-0 and have gone 1-2-1 since. It sounds like they're going to regularly shuffle the defensive pairs because they didn't sign enough righties and the guys they thought could play the right with Hughes can't. I don't think "no" is sufficient here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Pens look uninspiring and listless. So that's less than ideal. How much is trying to integrate new bodies into Sullivan's system, playing at 2/3rds speed, or they're finally fully over the hill and a spent force I do not know. Ned's play in goal has been a decent bright spot... otherwise it's basically every question you could have about the roster is still there. Austin Wagner likely earned a contract which good for him but it doesn't matter which 2 able bodies you put on the ice they're still having to drag Jeff Carter around. I also harbor significant concerns over Bryan Rust and the ability of the top 6 more generally.

They're the oldest team the NHL has seen in many years AND IT'S THE loving PRESEASON! Relax. They have no reason to care and do not, in fact, care about these games. Trying to talk other PAS members out of doomposting sure is a novel experience for me let me tell you.

Meanwhile, the Oilers still have no depth no defense and no goalie but this is the year they're totally gonna win the Cup.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Oilers depth, defence and goaltending are completely fine. None are exemplary or anything but they're hardly the issues they were three years ago.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
the lightning have looked pretty pretty pretty deec in the preseason and i dont like that because generally they play poorly in the preseason and win in the regular season so i think you can extrapolate from this my fears

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

eXXon posted:

We're cool with the Hawks now?

I'm referring to the fans chanting We Want the Cup at a Blackhawks preseason game. It's obviously a fun taunt.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

It's fun to see the devils again & the powerplay is looking hugely improved

I'm sure there will be growing pains with Luke Hughes, Holtz, etc making dumb plays, but if the goaltending doesn't fall apart this should be a great year

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Benson is awesome and gonna be a star. Levi is awesome and our savior. Stop calling child services on us they’re adults now!

Everyone else is rusty and sucks and we’re doomed

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's gonna be so funny when the Sabres mess up Benson's development by jerking him around like Seattle did with Wright because "he's too good for the WHL.“ There's no such thing. Let him rip it up for a year.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Naw we have the kid whisperer for a coach

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Naw we have the kid whisperer for a coach

Bruce Willis?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody else excited by your team’s preseason? The Caps seem to be a breath of fresh air. Lavs is gone and Carberry is making waves with the young kids. I’m not fooling myself into thinking we’re a playoff team yet but I love where this is going. They definitely seem healthier for however long that lasts…

Stars seem like they're doing good so long as shitheads don't board and concuss em

Doubt it'll translate to instant success in the regular season, but it's nice to have good vibes going in for once.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes and no. It's obviously going to be a long, sub .500, season for the Canadiens, but we knew this already and nothing in preseason could be an actual indicator of this not being the case.
However, even if the outlook for the team as a whole looks bad, I'm very happy with how some prospects and returns looked. William Trudeau's been a really nice surprise on defense, he looks almost there, to a point where I'd expect him to have a few games with Montreal this year. Joshua Roy also feels close and I feel he can become good offensive depth, at worst, down the line. Reinbacher looked scarily poised and calm for an 18 year old playing on NA ice for the first time. Dach looked like a goddamn stud, his size is starting to become a factor in his playstyle. Monahan, when not injured, still looks like an extremely useful player in every situation. Caufield is still Caufield.

It's a bad, rebuilding, team but a fun one to watch imo.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Cartoon Man posted:

Islanders have looked generally not awful in the three preseason games where they iced most of their NHL roster. New defensive prospects don't look very good but I'm comfy with letting them cook in the minors until they figure out how to not be bad. The sooner Martin and Clutter retire, the better; Fasching and Gauthier would be great on a 4th line with Cizikas. Sorokin still good but Varly needs to stop letting in softies. And Ross Johnston needs to get waived like three seasons ago. Why are we paying him 1.1M to sit in the press box and get in fights three times a year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Olli "not Matt Tkachuk" Juolevi signed in Europe. His NHL career is over. God bless Jim Benning.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres defense has played like poo poo in both preseason games against the Jackets so take it with a grain of salt. They were icing an AHL-level defense in the first one. Last night though, no idea why they were so abysmal. Maybe Dahlin & co just didn’t care?

Tough to say what’s gonna happen based on the preseason, besides Levi being the starter (lol) and Benson making the starting roster. Which I still think is bad because of his size and putting him on a line with Skinner and TAGE would be very stupid considering Tuch was the only guy on that line who could defend.

Also Greenway and Olofsson loving suck and need to be dumped ASAP. Maybe they can trade one or both for a forward who is halfway decent in their own zone, wouldn’t that be crazy!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
things look good for the Stars, they got probably the strongest roster / system they've had in near 25 years and they are ready to gently caress up the West

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am excited at all of the juicy rumours swirling about whether Nylander will play center (he won't) and which one of Fraser Minten or Pontus Holmberg battles it out with David Kampf for a bottom 6 center spot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My modest, yet achievable expectations for the Oilers this season

two 100 goal scorers
six 100 point scorers
50% net PP%
Every trophy

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
I dont think the Anthony Mantha redemption arc is happening this year, he hit three posts last night and you gotta be doing that on purpose!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I would bet a million dollars against the Oilers if I had it. I don't think they stand a chance against Dallas or even Colorado and LA is going to be dying to beat them this year. and also draisaitl is going to die

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

I am excited at all of the juicy rumours swirling about whether Nylander will play center (he won't) and which one of Fraser Minten or Pontus Holmberg battles it out with David Kampf for a bottom 6 center spot.

Willy at centre seemed more like seeing whether they could swap him and JT at C/W if necessary than running 3 deep. And early camp Willy said something like he knows that to do playing the wing and doesn't need the practice there but he's uncomfortable stepping into the C role if/when needed (ie Auston getting hurt) so he wanted the reps up the middle.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Shinjobi posted:

Stars seem like they're doing good so long as shitheads don't board and concuss em

Doubt it'll translate to instant success in the regular season, but it's nice to have good vibes going in for once.

having not watched a single preseason game i can say with absolute confidence jason robertson will score 100 goals this year

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Beer Gay So What posted:

I dont think the Anthony Mantha redemption arc is happening this year, he hit three posts last night and you gotta be doing that on purpose!

I’m ready for him to hit the waiver wire and let’s just get it over it.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tsn1200/status/1709963425411940776?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Not what you want to hear about the guy who missed two out of the last four years due to shoulder injuries. Ottawa is going to have a horrendous start to the season with both Norris and Pinto out, Ridly Greig is a nice prospect but they are throwing him to the wolves if he starts the year at 2C.

Mind boggling that a GM fighting for his job is a week away from the season starting and in this situation lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Given that I'm on the starting weeks of a commitment to working out more regularly, I guess I'll add working on my biceps to my scheduled stuff. Because:

:toxx: if the Stars win the cup this year I will get a stars tattoo on my shoulder. It would be my first tattoo. Preferably the only one.

Maybe by sacrificing my pristine untouched flesh I can will the team to win.:v:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

:toxx: if the Stars win the cup this year I will get a stars tattoo on my shoulder. It would be my first tattoo. Preferably the only one.

I made this same commitment half jokingly in 2011 and came one game short of that happening. I wish I had a tattoo.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Cartoon Man posted:

I was never a fan of firing Gallant in the first place which definitely makes me biased, but especially after this pre-season I really wish we had him back. Lavy did say he was going to experiment with pairings and lines to get a feel for the roster so this likely isn’t representative of what we’ll actually look like, and he definitely gets more time before I’m actually bothered by him, but I wouldn’t call pre-season encouraging.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Chairman Wao posted:

having not watched a single preseason game i can say with absolute confidence jason robertson will score 100 goals this year

Powershift posted:

My modest, yet achievable expectations for the Oilers this season

two 100 goal scorers
six 100 point scorers
50% net PP%
Every trophy

Beer Gay So What posted:

mennoknight posted:

I would bet a million dollars against the Oilers if I had it. I don't think they stand a chance against Dallas or even Colorado and LA is going to be dying to beat them this year. and also draisaitl is going to die

lotta cowards here need to be putting their poo poo down on paper in the wonderful predictions thread

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I only caught their game against the Sens but they looked fine in that. They look old and they're not a speedy team any more. They aren't gonna skate teams into the ground.

But their puck possession game looked good, and EK looked fantastic. If their stars maintain a similar level to last year + EK that should be enough to get into the playoffs where they will likely lose in the first or second round at best. But should be a competitive team at least.

I'm mostly excited because EK is gonna be a lot of fun to watch regardless of whether or not the rest of the team is

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Year 2 of the Pete DeBoer experience has typically not been kind.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am very excited for the Oilers to rock out all season again. Maybe Jack Campbell will be good!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Shinjobi posted:

Given that I'm on the starting weeks of a commitment to working out more regularly, I guess I'll add working on my biceps to my scheduled stuff. Because:

Maybe by sacrificing my pristine untouched flesh I can will the team to win.:v:

I hope you share more stories from going to games this year. Those were always a laugh