Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I have unlimited PTO and it loving owns. I'm going to break 6 weeks this year easy. :yes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

is PTO a type of health insurance

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The Nastier Nate posted:

economy update:

just saw a job posting at my company today for a $43,000 a year position, masters degree preferred

todays college kids are soooooo hosed

I saw a job posting here for a lawyer that paid $1200 a week lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/IAPolls2022/status/1709920365248442661

BOB!!!!!!!!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

They also make us take hourly PTO for doctors appointments ant stuff despite being salaried employees which I think is illegal but I have no rights anyways

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Hatebag posted:

getting a master's degree on your own dime seems pretty crazy to me because so many engineering companies will pay for your tuition to get a master's degree. choosing to stay in the employee incubator for an extra 2% of your life? no thanks!

Because everyone works for engineering companies

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

External Organs posted:

Trump cares about flying on cool planes, driving around in cool limos, serving happy meals at the white house, and randomly killing foreign military leaders with air strikes.

He does not give two shits about being in boring meetings with the worst people he's ever met and calling a vote on a bill.

and he's right

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My gf started her masters immediately after her undergrad and broke the education system over her knee and had both degrees entirely paid for via grants and scholarships and got paid by her lab as well

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Nah I got a talking to last time I used PTO same day.

It wasn't a "don't do it" but a very passive aggressive " you know my daughter's job doesn't let her take PTO unless it's two months in advance so don't forget about how good you have it wink wink"

sounds like you're sick now, time to go home

Apr 7, 2003

tall people generally have poor health, use that to your advantage

Apr 7, 2003

Another Bill posted:

I have unlimited PTO and it loving owns. I'm going to break 6 weeks this year easy. :yes:

Unlimited PTO is an accounting trick to keep liabilities off the books

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I've been taking vacation days off whenever but thanks to the years of working from home and my sturdy constitution I have like 500 sick hours

Apr 7, 2003

Had my first post-hire one on one evaluation, my boss says I'm very personable and everyone loves me.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Hatebag posted:

pto laws mostly have to do with whether companies can have a use it or lose it policy and if they have to pay out accrued pto upon termination and related issues. the rest is up to agreements you sign with the company which boils down to you need to be able to manipulate your boss into doing whatever you want.
hatebag's advice: put all your stats in charisma and wear a fancy ring, then you can do whatever you want!

poo poo I don't have any rings :ohdear:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Had my first post-hire one on one evaluation, my boss says I'm very personable and everyone loves me.

lmao okay

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

pto is also one of the easiest negotiation points for a job. usually they'll present an offer and pretend like they can't change the salary (this is bullshit) so they might not budge on that but pto you can tell them to give you a few extra weeks and if you've got leverage or they like you, you can get what's effectively a few thousand buckazoids

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Hatebag posted:

pto is also one of the easiest negotiation points for a job. usually they'll present an offer and pretend like they can't change the salary (this is bullshit) so they might not budge on that but pto you can tell them to give you a few extra weeks and if you've got leverage or they like you, you can get what's effectively a few thousand buckazoids

yes but then they email you on vacation all the time

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

titty_baby_ posted:

My gf started her masters immediately after her undergrad and broke the education system over her knee and had both degrees entirely paid for via grants and scholarships and got paid by her lab as well

I've got a friend who may or may not be a forums poster who's being paid to get a masters and PhD

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Pittsburgh seems like a really weird-rear end place

Apr 7, 2003

emfive posted:

Pittsburgh seems like a really weird-rear end place

This company is based in Baltimore and has employees all over the country (although my boss is from Pittsburgh and hired me because we worked together before)

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

lmao

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

emfive posted:

I've got a friend who may or may not be a forums poster who's being paid to get a masters and PhD

Is his PhD in Goon Studies?

Edit: :wave: If you're using me in your dissertation, hi!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

emfive posted:

poo poo I don't have any rings :ohdear:

maybe a particularly charismatic hat? or a vest?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Hatebag posted:

Lmao never in my life have I been able to negotiate a loving thing due to my career. Everything is rigid payscales and pto accrual rates. Probably for the best cause my only experience in getting a job has been during very desperate times of my life to get a job. Last year I tried to leave the burnout factory and nobody would hire me I'm a loser.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

this is why all my vacations are to places that mysteriously have no internet or cell service

strange how that happens

Apr 7, 2003

The something awful dot com forums, well known for being full of good judges of character

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

jobs are lame

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hatebag posted:

maybe a particularly charismatic hat? or a vest?

you know I'll leave that to the daughter who can look like a person walking onto a movie set without even realizing it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hatebag posted:

This is true and I wish I knew this because in the three jobs i've had in my career i had first 25, then 20 and then 15 days of PTO when I was hired LMFAO

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

my advisor desperately wanted me to stay after I graduate to go to grad school because i had good grades despite my school having basically zero budget to do grad research for my major

my guy i had a guaranteed job offer, what would i even DO in grad school?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

The something awful dot com forums, well known for being full of good judges of character

posting reveals the true self

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

my advisor desperately wanted me to stay after I graduate to go to grad school because i had good grades despite my school having basically zero budget to do grad research for my major

my guy i had a guaranteed job offer, what would i even DO in grad school?

:justpost:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

look at how many of us post like morons and then assess the population at large

sample mirrors population, I rest my case

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

magiccarpet posted:

that's what out of office messages are for! get your poo poo squared before you gently caress off and then have your out of office tell em to contact whatever chump
and don't read your work email when you're on vacation, lol. if someone needs to contact you urgently your boss can call you. emails on vacation! ridiculous!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Red Baron posted:

In Trumo veritas.

Apr 7, 2003

Red Baron posted:

as long as I can keep fooling people at work I'll be golden

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

CODChimera posted:

jobs are lame

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Red Baron posted:

It's how I know that I'm exceptionally stupid and also pretty dumb as well

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

as long as I can keep fooling people at work I'll be golden

so sayeth we all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hatebag posted:

pto is something you might get them to budge on but otherwise it's pretty impossible to negotiate much right now, and i personally still wouldn't risk it unless some component was egregiously bad. if you don't take an initial offer, you run a pretty high risk that a company will rescind it and move to option #2. companies have a lot of options and would rather simply not hire and wait for the right person in terms of skill and budget.

for example i had an interview this week with someone that was pretty candid and more or less said "yeah there's a lot of good candidates because everyone got laid off, so while i'd rather make a hire sooner rather than later, we have our pick and i'll take my time doing it." not that i don't respect the honesty to an extent and i prefer it to the slightly more feigned "well we wanna make the right choice, no rush, etc., we've gotta interview other people and you'll hear back," but the last thing i'd do is push any buttons if an offer is decent enough, assuming you really need a job

(said place also wants to keep interviewing me, so there's that)