Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

VideoKid posted:

I had a job once where they wanted me to take on a bunch of extra responsibilities and work and when I asked what the compensation was I was told that I would get a new chair. lmao

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i was looking at going to a t3 law school in texas and they wanted 30k/semester (in 2008 lol) and when I realized I would have been over 150k in debt and have to practice law in Texas for years if I could even find a practice to join I said lol gently caress this poo poo and left, never to return

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Buddy comedy idea: recently laid off tech worker takes a real job. no pto, no wfh, no chairs. hilarity ensues

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Buddy comedy idea: recently laid off tech worker takes a real job. no pto, no wfh, no chairs. hilarity ensues

they made this already. its called "waiting" starring Dane Cook

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

gently caress that I did my time in the box mines.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I am WFH forever. Sorry, suckers

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Hatebag posted:

yeah a lot of employment websites like indeed or linkedin are riddled with fake jobs and recruiter bullshit. it's like trying to google something and you get 5 or 10 fake algorithmically generated websites. I've had more success just looking up companies on google maps and then going to their website and applying directly but some of those put up fake jobs too, it's crazy and I don't see the point of it

i have to assume that half of all jobs posted that arent like complete garbage or entry level already have a candidate in mind but they have to go through the motions so it looks above board

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Hatebag posted:

yeah a lot of employment websites like indeed or linkedin are riddled with fake jobs and recruiter bullshit. it's like trying to google something and you get 5 or 10 fake algorithmically generated websites. I've had more success just looking up companies on google maps and then going to their website and applying directly but some of those put up fake jobs too, it's crazy and I don't see the point of it

Yeah I just go directly to the hospital website for my applications and then cry at how terrible the hr software is and if they make you do the personality quiz poo poo fml

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

big chair man here, tell us about the chair

lmao

it was just some like staples brand chair

Apr 7, 2003

I worked for around five years at a telephone answering service and that is the shittiest job imaginable, I paid my dues.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

ex post facho posted:

do never volunteer to "stand out" at work.

yo one year (or so) I had a "thing" to put out arrangements of cheap cookies on a platter in the break room on Wednesdays, and I got a "Making Tivoli a Great Place to Work" $5000 check for that

Apr 7, 2003

VideoKid posted:

lmao

it was just some like staples brand chair

wow, that's some disrespect right there.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

House arrest isn't wfh

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

emfive posted:

yo one year (or so) I had a "thing" to put out arrangements of cheap cookies on a platter in the break room on Wednesdays, and I got a "Making Tivoli a Great Place to Work" $5000 check for that

ah yes, the 1980s

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

same. my entire industry just said gently caress it this works just as well.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Ugh, I hate when employers lie on the job listing.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

emfive posted:

what the gently caress

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Woke from hell :hmmyes:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im working from home right and tumoing during a meeting right now!!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my meeting just ended and i think im gonna go take a shower and then maybe get some work done

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

what the gently caress

literally true my friend

and it was the 90s not the 80s, I worked at mostly stupid places in the 80s, except Intel but lol Intel wasn't handing out checks to anybody for anything back then

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Eat This Glob posted:

maybe get some work done

:hmmno:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
turns out you don't need to physically be in an office to commit code or make a pull request or answer a phone. who knew

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

i have to assume that half of all jobs posted that arent like complete garbage or entry level already have a candidate in mind but they have to go through the motions so it looks above board

super cool that more than half of them are for no one whatsoever

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

all this goon hubris is gonna get us in the end

Apr 7, 2003

The best thing I ever did for my career was go out drinking with my coworkers and bosses and nothing else comes close

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Goobrus.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

when i take time from work i just don't tell anyone

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

ex post facho posted:

i was looking at going to a t3 law school in texas and they wanted 30k/semester (in 2008 lol) and when I realized I would have been over 150k in debt and have to practice law in Texas for years if I could even find a practice to join I said lol gently caress this poo poo and left, never to return

the lawyer thread in ask/tell was once titled "started as a barrister, ended up a barista"

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

magiccarpet posted:

all this goon hubris is gonna get us in the end

The ceos are all gonna fire the computer touchers and replace them with chatgpt and it will finally kill corporate America once and for all, inshallah

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

perhaps so, but i would like to imagine a more paranoid explanation

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The ceos are all gonna fire the computer touchers and replace them with chatgpt and it will finally kill corporate America once and for all, inshallah

yeah i need to buy a house before this happens

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the first 5 years of my career was spent traveling around the country and world installing physical servers that were all assumed to be required at sites but obviously all became remote services. they were all ripped out within 2 years of my leaving that project. i got the job because i played a cleric in a d&d group and had the ability to travel

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

pleas stop talking about work it makes me want to be dead

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

every job I’ve ever had that wasn’t retail I got cause I had an in at the company.

Apr 7, 2003

VideoKid posted:

every job I’ve ever had that wasn’t retail I got cause I had an in at the company.

you gotta schmooze, folks

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

magiccarpet posted:

yeah i need to buy a house before this happens

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The only job I ever got through a connection was one time I worked in a mail room and they fired someone and brought their stuff down and I joked "Does that mean there's an opening?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Guns are bad.