Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don’t think trump ever takes questions unless he knows the questioner is 1000% not going to ask something he doesn’t want to answer

He never really "takes" questions. People ask him questions and he says things but the things he says aren't necessarily responses to the questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He never really "takes" questions. People ask him questions and he says things but the things he says aren't necessarily responses to the questions.

That's pretty much what all public figures do if they've got any sense. When my partner did media training for her job it was the explicit stated skill to master. They did exercises to show the pitfalls of attempting to actually respond to what was said to them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

OrthoTrot posted:

That's pretty much what all public figures do if they've got any sense. When my partner did media training for her job it was the explicit stated skill to master. They did exercises to show the pitfalls of attempting to actually respond to what was said to them.

True, almost all politicians dodge questions but their non-answers are usually at least somewhat related to the question being asked. Trump has a tendency to answer questions with rambling non-sequiturs.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1709948170971783240

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

So what are the odds that dimes are moved and Trump implicates himself further by going on a lengthy rant explaining why it's actually totally cool and okay for him to do it?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Donkringel posted:

So what are the odds that dimes are moved and Trump implicates himself further by going on a lengthy rant explaining why it's actually totally cool and okay for him to do it?

I believe the odds are "Yes"

Especially once the other trials start coming down and everything continues to unravel further and further. Dude's gonna start spiraling and I'm here with popcorn.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Pretty sure it's an over/under you're looking at, not an odds game. I'd say... before or after 5pm next Tuesday for when he violates the order.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Randalor posted:

Pretty sure it's an over/under you're looking at, not an odds game. I'd say... before or after 5pm next Tuesday for when he violates the order.

I'll take the under

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randalor posted:

So is it over/under at the time he commits the acts, or the time we find out he committed the acts?

If it time of actual crime, I'll take the under because he is probably actively moving money right now as we speak.

If its when we find out I'll go over because getting info on financial crimes takes a moment to find out.

I will also bet that he implicates himself in his next long form interview with a receptive interviewer (Hannitty or Newsmax, etc). He'll start talking about how the judge is terrible, it's a terrible decision, then he will start spiralling, going into how he interpreted the order while the interview keeps trying to change the topic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Donkringel posted:

Those dimes are gonna be moving at rates not seen since the polio vaccine drive

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Donkringel posted:

So is it over/under at the time he commits the acts, or the time we find out he committed the acts?

If it time of actual crime, I'll take the under because he is probably actively moving money right now as we speak.

If its when we find out I'll go over because getting info on financial crimes takes a moment to find out.

I will also bet that he implicates himself in his next long form interview with a receptive interviewer (Hannitty or Newsmax, etc). He'll start talking about how the judge is terrible, it's a terrible decision, then he will start spiralling, going into how he interpreted the order while the interview keeps trying to change the topic.

Can "under" be a negative value? I'll take the under of about -77 years if that's possible. His entire financial empire for his entire life has been one gigantic shell game, he's structured everything, everywhere, to do exactly this all the time. Grandpa Trump was probably doing shady poo poo with him while he was still in diapers. He was certainly doing it as soon as he could sign a paper.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've got Eric making large numbers of nine cent transactions in order to comply with his understanding of what not moving a dime means.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1709984497259688378

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1709985211830710528

This is Trump 100% micromanaging his lawyers.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
A second lawyer has hit the tow… I mean moved to drop Rudy as a client
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1709558011914588172?t=Pd83Y-4-Q5uM67lZZn_s5w&s=19

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Oh, I so would have wanted to be a fly in the room when Trump got told this: "They're going to tell me what I can and can't do with my (someone else's) money??!?!?!?!?!"

He may hit Low Earth Orbit just from the explosion of steam from his head.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

I'm running for president so I'm immune from all laws!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

SirFozzie posted:

Oh, I so would have wanted to be a fly in the room when Trump got told this: "They're going to tell me what I can and can't do with my (someone else's) money??!?!?!?!?!"

He may hit Low Earth Orbit just from the explosion of steam from his head.

I think more importantly it's going to force him to reveal to the monitor who he's paying off all those loans too. I would imagine that payments to certain Saudi nationals or Russian oligarchs for example might raise some eyebrows.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cimber posted:

Eugene V. Debs ran for president from prison

But then again he was a union man rather than a petulant baby

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Cimber posted:

This but unironically.

If/when the Dems get a supermajority in Congress, there needs to be an amendment that clearly states the one is disqualified from running/serving for President if they're a felon. Right after deleting the 2nd amendment.

Yes I'm aware I'm some insane idealist, but both of these look like existential issues for the US, and crazier things have been fixed in worse times.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Orthanc6 posted:

This but unironically.

If/when the Dems get a supermajority in Congress, there needs to be an amendment that clearly states the one is disqualified from running/serving for President if they're a felon. Right after deleting the 2nd amendment.

Yes I'm aware I'm some insane idealist, but both of these look like existential issues for the US, and crazier things have been fixed in worse times.

You're not getting the states on board with that. It's impossible.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Orthanc6 posted:

If/when the Dems get a supermajority in Congress, there needs to be an amendment that clearly states the one is disqualified from running/serving for President if they're a felon

Democratic leadership would say "but what if one day our guy was a felon? we don't want to potentially handicap ourselves in the future!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean, if Eugene Debs was alive, and running, and in jail, I'd vote for him

The problem isn't that felons are eligible to run, the problem is that people want to vote for a felon

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I've got Eric making large numbers of nine cent transactions in order to comply with his understanding of what not moving a dime means.

Cue a million chuds complaining about this new unfair crime of "Structuring".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Those dimes are gonna be moving at rates not seen since the polio vaccine drive
:golfclap:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orthanc6 posted:

This but unironically.

The last time either party held a 2/3rds supermajority in both the House and the Senate was during FDR's presidency. It's not something worth daydreaming about.

And fundamentally, I don't think it's right to make felonies disqualifying for the presidency. If someone's done something bad enough that they shouldn't be president, it should be easy to convince the voters of that. If not, the problem is a lot deeper than just a lack of a no-felonies restriction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More practically, it means the DOJ and all the state DOJs have veto power over presidential campaigns, which is not a good direction to go in

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Orthanc6 posted:

This but unironically.

Disenfranchising felons has been a core plank of the Republic party for as long as I've been alive. You don't want this.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

haveblue posted:

More practically, it means the DOJ and all the state DOJs have veto power over presidential campaigns, which is not a good direction to go in

Convicted felon is different than indicted.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

The last time either party held a 2/3rds supermajority in both the House and the Senate was during FDR's presidency. It's not something worth daydreaming about.

And fundamentally, I don't think it's right to make felonies disqualifying for the presidency. If someone's done something bad enough that they shouldn't be president, it should be easy to convince the voters of that. If not, the problem is a lot deeper than just a lack of a no-felonies restriction.

I think it was under LBJ since I recall Dems had like 295 House and 68 Senate seats after the 1964 elections, but still before the modern political realignments making that practically impossible for multiple reasons.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why let's see, the only thing I have to do to disqualify vast swathes of people from office is get a felony on their record?

You've recreated the main ingredient of "the junta outlaws all other political parties and jails all dissidents."

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

Convicted felon is different than indicted.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/florida-republicans-bill-ban-state-democratic-party-rcna72917

Outlawing the Democratic Party was already attempted. It's not a large jump from there to make being a registered member of that party a crime.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Name Change posted:

Why let's see, the only thing I have to do to disqualify vast swathes of people from office is get a felony on their record?

You've recreated the main ingredient of "the junta outlaws all other political parties and jails all dissidents."

Yeah, while I won't say that procedural qualifications are always bad, at the end of the day the only real check on keeping the "wrong people" out of office in a democracy has to be the people. You can't legislate or delegate around that without making something tremendously abusable.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cimber posted:

I think more importantly it's going to force him to reveal to the monitor who he's paying off all those loans too. I would imagine that payments to certain Saudi nationals or Russian oligarchs for example might raise some eyebrows.
Yes, it's this part that's important
https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/status/1709965388782444823

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4240537-trump-asks-judge-to-throw-out-jan-6-charges-with-presidential-immunity-defense/amp/

Trump's Jan 6 lawyers posted:

"the prosecution falsely claims that President Trump’s motives were impure — that he purportedly ‘knew’ that the widespread reports of fraud and election irregularities were untrue but sought to address them anyway,” Trump’s attorneys wrote in the motion.

So their prime defense is still "Trump thought the election fraud was real". That's a really bad defense.

So many witnesses are claiming to have told him the election wasn't fraudulent. Trump stated the fraud was true for a fact, not that he was investigating allegations.

Trump's extremely bad Jan 6 lawyers continue posted:

“But as the Constitution, the Supreme Court, and hundreds of years of history and tradition all make clear, the President’s motivations are not for the prosecution or this Court to decide. Rather, where, as here, the President’s actions are within the ambit of his office, he is absolutely immune from prosecution.”

The 52-page motion argues Trump’s status at the time as president protects even duties on the “outer perimeter” of the role as an executive.

"President crimes don't count lol"

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/4240537-trump-asks-judge-to-throw-out-jan-6-charges-with-presidential-immunity-defense/amp/

So their prime defense is still "Trump thought the election fraud was real". That's a really bad defense.

So many witnesses are claiming to have told him the election wasn't fraudulent. Trump stated the fraud was true for a fact, not that he was investigating allegations.

"President crimes don't count lol"

Eli Honig and another law professor on CNN basically said they think this is a pretty solid chance that it goes Trump's way. They said the Supreme court has not ruled on a president or former presidents ability to be charged criminally, and this is well written.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don’t think trump ever takes questions unless he knows the questioner is 1000% not going to ask something he doesn’t want to answer

Yeah because it just turns out like this classic

https://youtu.be/uH-UWAlX5AM?si=TDaPudkMVtk7PgoF

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/MichaelCohen212/status/1710090677093020144

e: Never Surrender

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1710094503464382464

e3: some people are claiming that he didnt want to appear for his deposition and 'without prejudice' means he can just do it again.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1710092013826101426

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 6, 2023

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Zotix posted:

Eli Honig and another law professor on CNN basically said they think this is a pretty solid chance that it goes Trump's way. They said the Supreme court has not ruled on a president or former presidents ability to be charged criminally, and this is well written.

It’s possible. But also there’s already been a large number of rulings where judges seemed to be able to differentiate between presidential duties and Trumps political campaign and have pretty much all come down solidly that pretty much all of this is campaigning.

I also find Judge Jones’s recent arguments that federalism leaves no room for the president to interfere with the choosing of electors or their voting or how their votes are counted. Which is what he did. It’s also is the only rational answer that makes any sense because lol that a president is authorized to influence his own elections.

He has investigative arms that are empowered and regulated to do investigations and they came up negative. He doesn’t get to insert his own desire into the results or we are worse than the proverbial tin pot dictatorship.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
The motion to dismiss

I'm always tickled when Nixon and the Outer Perimeter comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1710104460544938307