Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

An earth house maybe? Depends on how married you are to geometric panels vs. the rounded look

I think my concern with an earth house, aesthetically, would be around natural light. They tend to have less exposure of the actual structure to the outdoors, because they're going for that "hobbit hole" look, and that means fewer windows.

Sash! posted:

There's a winery we go to a few times a year and the tasting room seems to be in one of these.

I find it completely fascinating. None of the interior walls are load bearing, so the upper room is one gigantic room with nothing other than the center pylon interrupting the space. If I was building something in a scenic place, it would be pretty cool to have a huge kickass 360 degree living room.

Oh, that's neat! Never seen that style before. Definitely the kind of house that wants to have scenic vistas all around, though, which is gonna be hard to find unless you have prodigious quantities of money. Otherwise, it'd feel silly to have giant windows pointing at nothing in particular, or alternatively a big round curved wall with no windows at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's still going to be hanging straight down while the walls slant out. It looks weird, same as in an A-frame.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pretty much every starchitect building is a maintenance nightmare because they can and do overrule the civil engineers who in other cases act as a reality check to keep exceptionally stupid and problematic design choices from making it into the final structure.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Basically anywhere two planes meet on a roof is a good place for a leak to happen as the water slows down or changes direction or surface tension works its weird magic. A normal gable roof has 2 planes meeting in a line at the highest point of the roof which is also perpendicular to the likely flow of water. That's good. A shed roof with one plane and no edges is even better! A geodesic dome has like....20? 30? 100? different planes meeting in a gazillion joints, many of which are also oriented downhill and just begging for water infiltration. Roofing tech has come a long way since the hippy days of the 60s and 70s, so maybe if you just wrapped the entire structure in self-adhesive, self-healing ice and water shield under the roofing/siding it would be okay?

This reminds me about how the McMansions built in the late 90s and early 2000s are all reaching end-of-life in their roofs and people are discovering that it is ungodly expensive to re-roof this:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

IIRC its also very difficult to get homeowners insurance for a geodesic dome

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I love my roof, it's basically two large planes of sheet metal at an angle to each other.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's still going to be hanging straight down while the walls slant out. It looks weird, same as in an A-frame.

Yeah that'd look like poo poo and eat into more space lol

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I thought the concrete monolithic domes were super cool for a while, but with an eye to practicality I've come around to the idea that if I ever build a place, it'll have sufficiently few polygons in the shell that it could be rendered on an SNES. Four walls and either a two-plane gable roof or a one-plane shed roof, simple as can be.

With insulated concrete forms you can get most of the thermal mass, insulation and strength of the dome in a much more practical shape.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a very boring rectangular Colonial style home built in 2004 with very standard sized doors, windows, etc and a solid concrete tub basement. Reading this thread has made me super glad that we went with the "boring but nice" house over the "really cool looking old house with lots of work needed".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

yeah i mean there are reasons that over the last several thousand years houses have evolved convergently into basically 'rectangle with a pointy bit on top'

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I finally finished the upper cabinets! They turned out nicely

I scraped some of the green paint on the wall while I was sanding. I'll go back over that as part of the total kitchen renovation.

Next step is building a couple upper cabinets, then some lower cabinets, then redo the counter & do the backsplash.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kylaer posted:

I thought the concrete monolithic domes were super cool for a while, but with an eye to practicality I've come around to the idea that if I ever build a place, it'll have sufficiently few polygons in the shell that it could be rendered on an SNES. Four walls and either a two-plane gable roof or a one-plane shed roof, simple as can be.

With insulated concrete forms you can get most of the thermal mass, insulation and strength of the dome in a much more practical shape.

There's an abandoned office park outside of Casa Grande AZ that they built by inflating balloons, coating them with several inches of polyurethane, and then using the polyurethane as the basis for steel concrete forms. The company ran out of money before completion so they've just sat there for 40 years now. They look like this now:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to get some non-wifi connected keypad deadbolts with backup keys. I need a few on the same key, and I'd also like to have the knob key be the same. I see there are websites that will send you same-keyed locks, or I could find a locksmith.

Anyone have
1) Recommendations on non-wifi keypad deadbolts? Kwikset and Schlange seem to be the most common
2) Suggestions on route to go in getting locks/re-key?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I want to get some non-wifi connected keypad deadbolts with backup keys. I need a few on the same key, and I'd also like to have the knob key be the same. I see there are websites that will send you same-keyed locks, or I could find a locksmith.

Anyone have
1) Recommendations on non-wifi keypad deadbolts? Kwikset and Schlange seem to be the most common

Most Kwikset is garbage, but they are easy to DIY rekey. Schlage requires more stuff to do, but it's possible. Either way, you can just bring your new locks and one of the old ones/an old key to a locksmith and they can rekey them all.

Start with what locks you have on the handles and match them unless you want to replace everything. In that case go with Schlage. I have 2 of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGK9KJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Been using them hooked up to HA for about 5 years now. They work great.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I saw these UN temp housing domes for sale when I was toying with the idea of some cheap vacation property in WV. It's essentially just a 20' dome of Styrofoam with a fiberglass shell. Says the sections are light enough to be man portable.

https://offgriddwellings.com/dome-homes-for-sale

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone have

I like the level locks a lot. I use the non keypad version but I’m sure the keypad ones work just fine. lets you keep the same key you already have if you like your hardware and doesn’t look like a smart lock unless you also install the keypad. works great with HomeKit too, but that will need a wifi connection of course

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, the people who owned our home before us lived here for like decades and apparently did it entirely without towel racks/bars. I've done my Googling for how to install a towel rack/bar, and it doesn't look too difficult (find a stud, put at least one side of the towel bar into the stud, anchor the other side). My question is where should I put it? My bathroom is laid out as below:

Blue=shower
Green=sink/mirrior
Brown=toilet
Purple=shelves
Pink=cabinet
Yellow=door

The letters are potential placements, drawing is very much not to scale. The wall with D next to it is a very narrow (probably ~6") piece of wall that juts out between the cabinet and the shower. Placing the towel bar at B puts it within easy reach of the shower, but it is right above the toilet (there are convenient studs over there). There is already a hand towel rack by A, so I'd either have to move that (probably to above the sink/counter), or put the full towel rack above it, which seems awkward. C seems like the easiest placement, but if I do that, I feel like I'll have to put a hook or something on D, to hold the towel while someone is showering, so they don't have to walk across the bathroom wet. Wildcard option is to put something like this in spot D:

But that would jut out into the room a bit. Is there some philosophy of towel bar placement, or things I should think about that I'm not? I'm leaning towards the bar at position C and a hook at position D.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maybe just a simple hook/button or two at D? That will get in the way less than those spoke things

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Simple hook at D, towel bars at A and/or C. Is it strictly a shower. Sometimes you can put your towel on the shower door bar or put a hook on the top of the shower slider. I've also seen people have hooks in each room for a towel and you just bring your towel to the bathroom when you are using it, but usually that's for smaller bathrooms without room for a tradition towel bar.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

distortion park posted:

Maybe just a simple hook/button or two at D? That will get in the way less than those spoke things

this. bars look bad imo

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I would put a towel bar at A and C. The routine would be to grab your towel before the shower and set it on the toilet. Then hang it up after at A or C to dry.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

extravadanza posted:

Simple hook at D, towel bars at A and/or C. Is it strictly a shower. Sometimes you can put your towel on the shower door bar or put a hook on the top of the shower slider. I've also seen people have hooks in each room for a towel and you just bring your towel to the bathroom when you are using it, but usually that's for smaller bathrooms without room for a tradition towel bar.

It is a step-in shower/bath with a curtain. Long-term, I want to renovate this bathroom, replace it with a walk-in, but that is probably a few years down the line.

distortion park posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I don't like just having hooks, I feel like the towels don't dry as well as they do on a bar. It's fine for already-dry towels (like getting into the shower), which is why I was thinking bar for drying plus hook for easy access.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

extravadanza posted:

Simple hook at D, towel bars at A and/or C.

I like this, hook just to keep the towel at hand during the shower, bar at A/C for drying and storage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phanatic posted:

There's an abandoned office park outside of Casa Grande AZ that they built by inflating balloons, coating them with several inches of polyurethane, and then using the polyurethane as the basis for steel concrete forms. The company ran out of money before completion so they've just sat there for 40 years now. They look like this now:

I know where I'm filming my upcoming post-COVID dystopia epic!

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Hey folks. I had planned to get my deck stained this week but it looks like the weather forecast has turned against me. I got it washed earlier this week and it's nice and dry. The original plan had been to sand and stain tomorrow but with rain on Friday now I don't think that's a good idea, the stain says it needs at least 24 hours to dry.

If I hold off staining for maybe 5-7 days (rain this weekend and next week the temperature drops below 50 at night), am I better off sanding tomorrow anyway and waiting to stain or hold off and sand just before applying the actual stain?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Keebler posted:

Hey folks. I had planned to get my deck stained this week but it looks like the weather forecast has turned against me. I got it washed earlier this week and it's nice and dry. The original plan had been to sand and stain tomorrow but with rain on Friday now I don't think that's a good idea, the stain says it needs at least 24 hours to dry.

If I hold off staining for maybe 5-7 days (rain this weekend and next week the temperature drops below 50 at night), am I better off sanding tomorrow anyway and waiting to stain or hold off and sand just before applying the actual stain?

Wow we have the exact same problem but I just finished sanding most of my deck

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
What kind of product were yall gonna use? I'm trying to I decide between oil and acrylic.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Picked up two gallons of Cabot semi-solid. It's oil based and contains a sealer. Supposed to only require one coat. We decided mostly based on color, my wife really likes the Newburyport Blue.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Two buckets of a Behr stain and sealant from home despot. I think it’s oil based, kind of a purple colour in semi-transparent

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ham Equity posted:

So, the people who owned our home before us lived here for like decades and apparently did it entirely without towel racks/bars. I've done my Googling for how to install a towel rack/bar, and it doesn't look too difficult (find a stud, put at least one side of the towel bar into the stud, anchor the other side). My question is where should I put it? My bathroom is laid out as below:

Blue=shower
Green=sink/mirrior
Brown=toilet
Purple=shelves
Pink=cabinet
Yellow=door

The letters are potential placements, drawing is very much not to scale. The wall with D next to it is a very narrow (probably ~6") piece of wall that juts out between the cabinet and the shower. Placing the towel bar at B puts it within easy reach of the shower, but it is right above the toilet (there are convenient studs over there). There is already a hand towel rack by A, so I'd either have to move that (probably to above the sink/counter), or put the full towel rack above it, which seems awkward. C seems like the easiest placement, but if I do that, I feel like I'll have to put a hook or something on D, to hold the towel while someone is showering, so they don't have to walk across the bathroom wet. Wildcard option is to put something like this in spot D:

But that would jut out into the room a bit. Is there some philosophy of towel bar placement, or things I should think about that I'm not? I'm leaning towards the bar at position C and a hook at position D.
I think practicality over the toilet at B would make sense, but yeah over the toilet isn't ideal, potentially a little awkward and having the end of the towel potentially rest on the tank isn't a great asthetic.

Another vote for hook somewhere on D for easy reach.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So my old espresso machine finally poo poo the bed after about 5-6 years and many, many thousands of drinks.

So we bought a new Miele CM6160 which has, quite possibly, one of the most useless "features" I've ever seen on an appliance. It has the "Miele@Home" feature which enables you to "brew your favorite coffee from anywhere."

I mean, WTF?

Manufacturers have to get off the IOT bandwagon and just stop this stupid poo poo. I get the potential, maybe for firmware updates or remote diagnosing, but being able to brew a drink from anywhere is just :psyduck:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Appliance IoT isn't about what's convenient for you.

It's about collecting real-world usage data for free, and pushing "maintenance reminders" to you in order to sell you spare parts you don't need or consumables you're about to run out of.

It's a potential revenue stream, and the only reason they offer any useful features at all is to lure you in to connecting it. This is actually a stated fact from manufacturers who are struggling to figure out ways to entice customers in to actually connecting their appliances (read an article about this a bit ago, can't remember where though so I can't find it, but tl;dr: manufacturers are upset that most people don't connect their appliances, and are pretty desperate to find ways to make you do it. Case in point: someone in this thread or another one got a new GE Cafe oven, and in order to enable the "air fryer" setting they had to connect it to wifi).

So once you understand this, you'll understand why everyone pushes you in to using it.

In theory, you could set up an automation to have an espresso sitting ready for you when you get up for breakfast, or start it running from your car while you're on the way home from work, or maybe in winter you're on a walk and want a warm cup waiting for you when you get back... or some other stupid bullshit. Timers that have existed on coffee machines for the past 50 years would mostly suit that need, but obviously that's pre-determined and not "on demand."

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 5, 2023

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my favorite smart home thing I did was wire a leviton receptacle and pair it to HomeKit with my moccamaster plugged into it. I have it automated to make a pot of coffee every weekday morning or when I turn the plug on in the home app on the weekends whenever I get up

moccamasters rule

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Appliance IoT isn't about what's convenient for you. Once you understand this, you'll understand why everyone wants you to use it.

It's about collecting real-world usage data for free, and pushing "maintenance reminders" to you in order to sell you spare parts you don't need or consumables you're about to run out of.

Even when it's not this and actually (mostly) about features its often an unmitigated disaster and would serve to reduce device functionality or completely brick it when the company stops supporting it or outright ceases to exist. There's a long list of these.....Revolv hub, what Google has done to various Nest devices, what Samsung is undoubtedly going to do to smartthings soon enough, the smoker that immediately went into a firmware update that took hours and multiple tries to complete for a ton of people who just wanted to smoke something for the superbowl a few years back......

Few of these things are worth the problems they will eventually cause. There are ways to do this entirely locally, but companies won't and don't support this because there is nothing in it for them. Zwave/Zigbee home hubs that do'nt need internet/cloud/app support just aren't a thing unless you're rolling yourown system with open source stuff.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keebler posted:

Picked up two gallons of Cabot semi-solid. It's oil based and contains a sealer. Supposed to only require one coat. We decided mostly based on color, my wife really likes the Newburyport Blue.

Really good choice. I like the naturally-aged extra-sharp, it's usually in the case at Costco.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DaveSauce posted:

So once you understand this, you'll understand why everyone pushes you in to using it.
Oh I am well aware of iot and the value to manufacturers, upstream people. I'm in that business myself on the industrial side.

Luckily, there is no nanny or reduced functionality if you don't with this. It's just stupid as gently caress as touting "the convenience to make a cup of coffee from anywhere!" as a customer benefit. In my business, at least, there is at least some "real" customer benefit to tying into the web.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

Case in point: someone in this thread or another one got a new GE Cafe oven, and in order to enable the "air fryer" setting they had to connect it to wifi).

That's me.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Hed posted:

Really good choice. I like the naturally-aged extra-sharp, it's usually in the case at Costco.

:hmmyes:

I'll use two coats sometimes depending on what I'm making.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

DaveSauce posted:

The last ten years of my life has been me thinking "everything is poo poo these days and I don't want or need unnecessary features that can be disabled" and I can't tell if I'm just getting older and thinking like an old man or if things are, actually, much more stupid

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

The last ten years of my life has been me thinking "everything is poo poo these days and I don't want or need unnecessary features that can be disabled" and I can't tell if I'm just getting older and thinking like an old man or if things are, actually, much more stupid

I have the same dilemma, in that I'm not sure if things are, in fact, much worse, or if I'm just Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds. I always felt like my parents hated technology because they didn't understand it, and I feel like I hate technology because I do understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ham Equity posted:

I have the same dilemma, in that I'm not sure if things are, in fact, much worse, or if I'm just Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds. I always felt like my parents hated technology because they didn't understand it, and I feel like I hate technology because I do understand it.

:hmmyes: