Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

My deck is also crippled by things like Blood Moon, or the "You can't untap non-basic lands" or "you can only untap X permaments this turn" which one of the other players likes to bring out.

I suppose in fairness we as a group and I, do ask "Hey can you not?" but your mileage may vary. My assumption is its much worse for your deck to just utterly prevent the other players from playing the game and deliberately stalling an already hour+ long game even longer; while my slivers basically only rarely interacts with your side of the board, as its always random what slivers I get with the cascade commander and merely mostly random with Overlord (which in theory lets me get the cascade commander out ANYWAYS just 1 turn later?).

Your group has a stax player and yet they complain about slivers

jesus just make new friends because yours suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A Moose posted:

I feel like pretty much any deck running blue should have a couple counterspells. Even if they're mostly just to protect your threat from a board wipe or something, you can always use your 1 Negate to counter a game-winning spell by another player and save everyone. It's a fun puzzle to think about if you can let something resolve to hold on to your limited counterspells to protect your wincon later.

I like including regular old Counterspell and Swan Song in any Blue deck these days. Fierce Guardianship if budget allows (if I'm building it with real cards and not proxies). People get so incredibly salty when they think you're shields down and you hit 'em with that one.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If you're not running Wash Away, Tale's End and An Offer You Can't Refuse in every deck that can run them, you're doing it wrong

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm not a huge fan of wash away, but on a budget it's OK. Ice Out is another one that's really nice if you're in a token deck

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like including regular old Counterspell and Swan Song in any Blue deck these days. Fierce Guardianship if budget allows (if I'm building it with real cards and not proxies). People get so incredibly salty when they think you're shields down and you hit 'em with that one.

Any of the free counterspells can be so tilt-inducing. But I also don’t blame people for playing them; I run them, too. Hell, last night I had a Rhystic Study get FoW’d and we all agreed it was the most Commander-y interaction of the night.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not a huge fan of wash away, but on a budget it's OK. Ice Out is another one that's really nice if you're in a token deck

At worst, it's Cancel, but its usually U: counter target commander

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
Oh cool, Carpet of Flowers in the Paradox Power precon per Gavin. I wonder if the other decks have comparable value or if that one will be like Mind Seize when everyone wanted True-Name Nemesis.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Silhouette posted:

At worst, it's Cancel, but its usually U: counter target commander

cancel is pretty middling even in lower power level formats that lack access to stuff like counterspell and mana drain - it's a fine fallback mode, but not one you want to be planning on as the primary means of using the card, which I think you often will be because "counter target commander" is actually pretty narrow

not in the sense that you won't have targets (because you always will), but in the sense that there's a pretty high premium/opportunity cost on 1:1 interaction/removal and you really want to be using it on the best possible targets/largest threats (which may very well not include commanders in a given game and/or be nearly impossible to assess given when they come down) or to protect your own key pieces/attempts to win (which, barring unusual circumstances, it can only do in 3 mana for cancel-mode)

obviously there's plenty of upside and there are metagames/pods where it'll always be great, but (to split the difference between competitive and casual) consider a game where you're up against something like Edric, Spymaster of Trest, a Talion, the Kindly Lord, and a Sythis, Havest's Hand - sure you can delay any given value engine by a turn or two, but which one are you going to pick?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pantsless Hero posted:

Oh cool, Carpet of Flowers in the Paradox Power precon per Gavin. I wonder if the other decks have comparable value or if that one will be like Mind Seize when everyone wanted True-Name Nemesis.

One of them has Farewell.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

Aphrodite posted:

One of them has Farewell.

Ahh ok here I am not realizing Carpet was so much cheaper now, thought it was still like $30. The List seems good for cards like that.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

LGD posted:

cancel is pretty middling even in lower power level formats that lack access to stuff like counterspell and mana drain - it's a fine fallback mode, but not one you want to be planning on as the primary means of using the card, which I think you often will be because "counter target commander" is actually pretty narrow

not in the sense that you won't have targets (because you always will), but in the sense that there's a pretty high premium/opportunity cost on 1:1 interaction/removal and you really want to be using it on the best possible targets/largest threats (which may very well not include commanders in a given game and/or be nearly impossible to assess given when they come down) or to protect your own key pieces/attempts to win (which, barring unusual circumstances, it can only do in 3 mana for cancel-mode)

obviously there's plenty of upside and there are metagames/pods where it'll always be great, but (to split the difference between competitive and casual) consider a game where you're up against something like Edric, Spymaster of Trest, a Talion, the Kindly Lord, and a Sythis, Havest's Hand - sure you can delay any given value engine by a turn or two, but which one are you going to pick?

idk, I feel like it's fine, just because of the number of times its "U - blow someone out of the game because they went soul ring, jeweled lotus, commander". The fact that it CAN counter non-commanders is great. When my opponent is about to wipe the board again, or win on the spot, I would gladly pay X where X is all of my open mana to prevent that from happening. Most people run 0 interaction, so even just throwing a cancel in there means you're ahead of the game.

Unless everyone freaks out and your deck is now seen as "the counterspell deck" because you countered 1 spell once, so everyone focuses you down first.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It's also U: counter target permanent on an adventure/card cast from exile/cascaded bullshit/flipped battle/hideaway card/madness card

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

A Moose posted:

idk, I feel like it's fine, just because of the number of times its "U - blow someone out of the game because they went soul ring, jeweled lotus, commander". The fact that it CAN counter non-commanders is great. When my opponent is about to wipe the board again, or win on the spot, I would gladly pay X where X is all of my open mana to prevent that from happening. Most people run 0 interaction, so even just throwing a cancel in there means you're ahead of the game.

Unless everyone freaks out and your deck is now seen as "the counterspell deck" because you countered 1 spell once, so everyone focuses you down first.

it is fine - hard counterspells are great interaction, sometimes a cancel is just the ticket, and it's pretty easy to come up with examples where "U - counter target commander" is phenomenal

but that's a very different matter than "doing it wrong" if you're not putting it in "every deck that can run [it]"

commander is a high power level format with a deep card pool where you can only afford to devote so many slots to 1:1 interaction pieces - abstract power level doesn't matter as much as where it stacks up against the competition, and the game has a fair number of "free" counterspells, hard or pseudo-hard (Delay) wide-spectrum counterspells that cost 2 mana (and are therefore more likely to be covered by your available open mana and/or allow you to double spell), 1 cmc options that are narrow in their own way but probably more likely to apply to stopping game winning combos at the critical juncture or protecting your own stuff (An Offer You Can't Refuse, Swan Song), 3+ cmc spells with much more upside, etc.

I think it falls squarely into the unfortunate position so many cool cards find themselves in, where it's the Xth best option for a given deck and X is a number that's just slightly higher than the number of copies of that type of effect the deck wants

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Fajita Queen posted:

Phyrexian Arena is an awful card nowadays lol

i don't care it's in my Marchesa proliferate deck. Gotta keep my life total lower for that dethrone. I also have black market connections too.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Gynovore posted:

A interesting idea. Only problem is that you have a lot of cards that are only good discarded to the commander. No one ever wants to cast Bassara Tower Archer or Venomthrope.

Also I'm not sure if Darksteel Colossus works the way you want.

It is certainly a gimmick! One reason I want to avoid reanimator is because I don't think any of the creatures are really worth bringing back.

I believe I'm leaning toward clones. Turn all the mid creatures with keyword abilities into drawing more cards.

Good catch on Darksteel; since it's a replacement effect I imagine it won't add counters?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Party Miser posted:

i don't care it's in my Marchesa proliferate deck. Gotta keep my life total lower for that dethrone. I also have black market connections too.

I definitely have a soft spot for it

I also wouldn't put black market connections in the same category - phyrexian arena is a slow value engine, black market connections is much more flexible, capable of generating a significantly more value on a per-turn basis (albeit at a higher life cost), affects the board and can accelerate you directly, and is capable of generating and leveraging a bunch of synergistic effects (plays well with cares-about-artifacts, cares-about-tokens, cares-about-creature-types, etbs, etc.)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dr. Who cards up on Mythic Spoiler: https://mythicspoiler.com/

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Nanogene Conversion on a germ token seems like fun!

Everybody Lives! also seems like one hell of a fog. Just a big ol' "Your turn doesn't matter" when it's played.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pseudo-Past in Flames on an Enchantment is interesting.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Fajita Queen posted:

haha I think its in every single black containing deck I have.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fajita Queen posted:

It is? :smith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i still like it!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Perhaps awful is overdoing it a tad, but it's just kind of generic and slow, and a whole bunch of niche but better cards have been printed since that make it lose its relevance in any deck that can play to any of those niches, especially if you're also in blue, red, or green. It also stands in stark contrast against Necropotence.

If you're in mono-black or BW and aren't doing much with creatures dying or trying to win the game fast, it's probably fine.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 5, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I like http://mythicspoiler.com/who/cards/fleshduplicate.html as an additional Phantasmal Image for copying Docksides and poo poo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The One Ring is kind of a super phyrexian arena

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Khanstant posted:

The One Ring is kind of a super phyrexian arena

Yeah basically

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are also a lot of games where even something like a night's whisper is going to be more relevant than an arena. Certainly not all of them, it is very playgroup dependant, but if you see a lot of incidental or mass enchantment / noncreature permanent removal then it is likely.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Arena just runs into the problem in that in best case scenarios, it's probably only getting you 7-8 cards max over the course of the game. And that's assuming you're lucky and get it down on turn 1. Compare that to something like Ad naus (in low-cost decks)/necropotence/peer/all the black tutors, which are going to be way higher value during later parts of the game. And that's staying in black, go into other colours, and card advantage engines start getting way better. Rhystic Study, Mystic remora, sylvan library, all are way better options for card draw than what Arena does if you branch out into other colours.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 5, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Doctor Who spoilers behind spoiler tags in case anyone cares:

I hate Universes Beyond, but as I always say, I am not made of stone. I only watched the 9th and 10th Doctors, so I don't know much. It looks like they hit as much as they could because this probably won't happen again, which is probably wise for this type of product.

The way the Companions work as having a limited Partner is cool, but it's formatted weird where it says "is the Doctor" instead of "is a Doctor" but whatever, it's thematic.

Thought Vessel is a very cool reference where the name sort of works. Mechanically not so much, but I liked the uses of that fob in that season so I'm pleased with its inclusion.

City of Death is one of a few older Who stories I have seen, and it is pretty thematic. Cool design space to have a Saga with more than 3 ages. I don't know what the Treasure art is in reference to.

I can see Paradox being in non-UB Magic without change. I don't love those reminder texts when overused or individual, but things like Channel and this work fine.

Some of these have weird abilities like The Ninth Doctor and River Song and The Face of Boe but I don't know if they compete with 2023 magic cards with as much text as a YuGiOh card.

The landscapes are all very pretty, particularly Prairie Stream and Port Town.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Magnetic North posted:

I don't know what the Treasure art is in reference to.

City of Death has multiple copies of the Mona Lisa, that's a Mona Lisa but with the model being Romana II (played by Lalla Ward), the Doctor's Companion at the time.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I like http://mythicspoiler.com/who/cards/fleshduplicate.html as an additional Phantasmal Image for copying Docksides and poo poo.

Duplicate is going straight into my Kenrith Twins deck since it actually combos with Cloudstone Curio.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I retooled my Sliver deck because of all this Sliver Drama and now I'm very excited for it to whip rear end. :getin:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

I retooled my Sliver deck because of all this Sliver Drama and now I'm very excited for it to whip rear end. :getin:

R.I.P. to llamas

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

R.I.P. to llamas

There should be a Legacy deck called Winamp.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

I've honestly looked into some "competitive" sliver decks that don't have first sliver as their commander and I'm also prepared to get my revenge. :getin:

I'll be like, YOU ASKED FOR THIS! You just COULDN'T let me enjoy my simple sliver deck that had a fun gimmick that would let me win more often than not. Infinite Mana Combos, all sorts of cool stuff I couldn't do before or pull off reliably.

I just wanted to play a deck that gave me like a random combination of cool slivers and potentially win in different ways instead of being the same win condition of "swing with big creatures", I can potentially mill someone's library with the right combination of slivers, that's cool! I liked seeing what slivers I had to respond to the board basically at random.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Judging by how you've described your "friends", they'll just keep playing whack-a-mole with banning anything you play that challenges them even a little.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Play the "you win! Hooray" deck that's a random commander and 99 lands.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've honestly looked into some "competitive" sliver decks that don't have first sliver as their commander and I'm also prepared to get my revenge. :getin:

I'll be like, YOU ASKED FOR THIS! You just COULDN'T let me enjoy my simple sliver deck that had a fun gimmick that would let me win more often than not. Infinite Mana Combos, all sorts of cool stuff I couldn't do before or pull off reliably.

I just wanted to play a deck that gave me like a random combination of cool slivers and potentially win in different ways instead of being the same win condition of "swing with big creatures", I can potentially mill someone's library with the right combination of slivers, that's cool! I liked seeing what slivers I had to respond to the board basically at random.

Just go with the classic Sliver Queen/Mana Echoes infinite. No other slivers. Just every way to search for and protect Mana Echoes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

Play the "you win! Hooray" deck that's a random commander and 99 lands.

Wait, is there a commander where this works? Like a commander that gets stronger with lands?

AlternateNu posted:

Just go with the classic Sliver Queen/Mana Echoes infinite. No other slivers. Just every way to search for and protect Mana Echoes.

Lol I suspect that's in the deck list I found, along with training grounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wait, is there a commander where this works? Like a commander that gets stronger with lands?

That's not the point. The point is to draw a card, play a land, and then say "your turn" in the most passive aggressive way possible. There is an actual version of this that's maelstrom wanderer, kiki-jiki, some other crrature card that goes infinite with kiki-jiki, and then 97 lands. But this is to just be a dick to those friends of yours.