Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

Tickets not released yet, I live 1.2 miles from the route, the temptation to quit after 150miles was very strong, but friends and family and the fact we had around £3000 sponsorship pledged kept me going. The final figure was over £4700 raised for Brian tumor research. Stuart my stoker has had large pieces of brain removed.
that’s a baller thing you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Heliosicle posted:

Was also planning on doing it with my brother, they haven't released tickets yet, right?

The route goes almost right by some family so could stop there for lunch

Strong username / ride name synergy

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

e: wrong thread

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 5, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
We finally heard back from the LBS about my wife's Schwinn Mendocino battery fuckery. The battery is toast, and we have to contact them for warranty issues directly because they're moving away from being a bike shop brand, and they won't deal with them. Which... I mean, OK, whatever, but we could've used that information last month.

And so I've been looking online because I have a bad feeling that we're going to have to buy a battery, and guess what? Nobody sells this battery. It's not even on Schwinn's website. I've seen some supposedly universal batteries online, but I can't match the specs of the proper battery because Schwinn apparently keeps those pretty tight to the vest. I know that it sells with a 313 Wh battery, which suggests it's a 36 V battery. That's about it.

This is one of those batteries that you have to watch when you're charging it because it's 2023 and nobody has figured out how to have a charger stop dumping power into a battery when it's full. That's a scientific mystery. It's up there with cold fusion; we'll never work it out. And we didn't keep the battery on the charger all the time, but can I guarantee that I definitely unplugged it a certain amount of time after a light turned from red to green?

gently caress this bike. gently caress Schwinn. I have never seen a company that sells something that takes a special battery who won't sell you that battery. Are all e-bike batteries this loving awful?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

tarlibone posted:

We finally heard back from the LBS about my wife's Schwinn Mendocino battery fuckery. The battery is toast, and we have to contact them for warranty issues directly because they're moving away from being a bike shop brand, and they won't deal with them. Which... I mean, OK, whatever, but we could've used that information last month.

And so I've been looking online because I have a bad feeling that we're going to have to buy a battery, and guess what? Nobody sells this battery. It's not even on Schwinn's website. I've seen some supposedly universal batteries online, but I can't match the specs of the proper battery because Schwinn apparently keeps those pretty tight to the vest. I know that it sells with a 313 Wh battery, which suggests it's a 36 V battery. That's about it.

This is one of those batteries that you have to watch when you're charging it because it's 2023 and nobody has figured out how to have a charger stop dumping power into a battery when it's full. That's a scientific mystery. It's up there with cold fusion; we'll never work it out. And we didn't keep the battery on the charger all the time, but can I guarantee that I definitely unplugged it a certain amount of time after a light turned from red to green?

gently caress this bike. gently caress Schwinn. I have never seen a company that sells something that takes a special battery who won't sell you that battery. Are all e-bike batteries this loving awful?

Goondolences, that's an absolutely bullshit situation. Could you perhaps contact a local battery repair company and see if they could take it apart and try replacing some of the cells or something? It's a last ditch shot, but I know some people who've had weird bespoke batteries for things repaired this way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Schwinn's mendacious Mendocino

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

tarlibone posted:

Don’t think all batteries are like that. For example I think it’s straightforward to buy another battery for or cargo bike

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Any recommendations for cycling glasses that are affordable and look normal? I mostly just need to keep stuff out of my eyes and protect them from the cold air in winter. I commute a few miles each day and occasionally do short rides for fun. Anything tinted or colored makes it hard for me to see.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

goodr makes glasses with untinted lenses

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks.

Also, should I be looking for any specific features in glasses if I'm not particularly sporty? Like, is there anything specific that fits best under a helmet, etc.?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

people that spend more time in the saddle than me may have opinions but I've never had an issue with "normal" sunglass designs fitting underneath my helmet

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I just wear my regular prescription glasses most of the time. When I need sunglasses, I use a stylish pair of tinted, mirrored safety glasses. They don't diminish my vision much because my prescription is light; I just barely have 20/20 vision, but I'm slightly farsighted and have a slight astigmatism. It makes it hard to read anything small on my phone or Wahoo, but there are ways to deal with that.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Any recommendations for cycling glasses that are affordable and look normal? I mostly just need to keep stuff out of my eyes and protect them from the cold air in winter. I commute a few miles each day and occasionally do short rides for fun. Anything tinted or colored makes it hard for me to see.

You could try safety glasses.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Prescription safety (impact rated) sunglasses for me. They're my normal glasses, and work fine, without looking like anything special. https://www.wileyx.com/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nah i just bought a shaman 500wh pack to replace my 4 years old 400wh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Don’t think all batteries are like that. For example I think it’s straightforward to buy another battery for or cargo bike
that’s totally brand-dependent

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thanks.

Also, should I be looking for any specific features in glasses if I'm not particularly sporty? Like, is there anything specific that fits best under a helmet, etc.?
generally you want something that deflects air away from your eyeballs without isolating them so much that you get condensation buildup on the inside

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

Prescription safety (impact rated) sunglasses for me. They're my normal glasses, and work fine, without looking like anything special. https://www.wileyx.com/

Are there any cheap-ish glasses people can recommend that don't look like they unofficially sponsored the Jan 6 riots?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Tifosi and Goodr sell nice glasses for $25

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

For the longest time I was riding with my Eyebuydirect prescription sunglasses and they fit just fine, but I recently upgraded to prescription glasses from https://www.rudyprojectna.com/ and they've been *lovely*! Finding a place that does:

- prescription sports sunglasses
AND
- womens styles

was like finding a needle in a haystack but I've been *thrilled*

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

goodr has affordable (relatively) cycling glasses too. they're like $60

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've been wondering about this too, now that the sun's setting earlier and sometimes I want to bike westward between 5 and 6 pm and still be able to see things.

I have a pair of Warby Parker eyeglasses that have optional clip-ons that fit them, but it turns out they're useless for biking into the sun: too much light comes in through the edges, which causes me to squint, which combined with dark sunglasses means that my vision is even worse than it would be normally. Not ideal.

These Rudy Project glasses look nice, if dang expensive ($200 sunglasses + $80 prescription insert). Goodr would be interesting but it looks like none of their cycling sunglasses offer a prescription option, only their regular ones, and I think that would have the same problem my clip-ons do. Are there any good cheaper options for wraparound prescription sunglasses?

Fish Cake
Jun 13, 2008

woof

abraham linksys posted:

These Rudy Project glasses look nice, if dang expensive ($200 sunglasses + $80 prescription insert). Goodr would be interesting but it looks like none of their cycling sunglasses offer a prescription option, only their regular ones, and I think that would have the same problem my clip-ons do. Are there any good cheaper options for wraparound prescription sunglasses?

I have a pair of Zenni uhh… 1143130 sunglasses that were about 100 bucks with prescription lenses

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Awkward Davies posted:

Are there any cheap-ish glasses people can recommend that don't look like they unofficially sponsored the Jan 6 riots?

I hate the Tactical Dad look too, but I’m still riding with a pair of Wiley X sunglasses because they made the Approved Protective Eyewear List and the roads around here are infested with open top rock trucks that sling gravel all over the place. I prefer binocular vision to looking good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Loucks posted:

I hate the Tactical Dad look too, but I’m still riding with a pair of Wiley X sunglasses because they made the Approved Protective Eyewear List and the roads around here are infested with open top rock trucks that sling gravel all over the place. I prefer binocular vision to looking good.
Show up to the group ride with some LOCS:

https://www.locssunglasses.net/collections/mad-dawg-styles/products/locs-mad-dawg-sunglasses-with-skull-pattern

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Awkward Davies posted:

Best I can do is expensive ones that look like they sponsored the January Sixth rioters but in fact hate their guts.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
For some values of "normal" .. Rockbros photochromic glasses switch from completely clear (ride with them at night clear) to a very light tint in daylight. Perfect for winter.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Waffles Inc. posted:

- prescription sports sunglasses

I've never experimented with this, but I feel like it's really inconvenient to not be able to see well when you take the sunglasses off. Maybe less of a hassle in other contexts, but I don't exactly want to bring my normal glasses around on a bike ride. Basically lamenting never being able to tuck the glasses through helmet vents when I don't need the shade.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kimbo305 posted:

I've never experimented with this, but I feel like it's really inconvenient to not be able to see well when you take the sunglasses off. Maybe less of a hassle in other contexts, but I don't exactly want to bring my normal glasses around on a bike ride. Basically lamenting never being able to tuck the glasses through helmet vents when I don't need the shade.
I also have a set of transition glasses for winter and closer to dark usage. Not great, but better than full dark lenses at sunset.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

sweat poteto posted:

For some values of "normal" .. Rockbros photochromic glasses switch from completely clear (ride with them at night clear) to a very light tint in daylight. Perfect for winter.

I have the plainest, most normal looking of these and I really like them, much better than I expected for $20. The self tinting is very handy when I go for a gravel ride and transition from broad daylight on the road to shaded lanes in the forest. On my road bike I've gotten up to 80km/h without any kind of eye discomfort so they deflect well enough.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ZeroUV Wayfarers from Amazon. Like $12.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I had a weird experience on my ride today. About 45 minutes into 2 hours of a low-zone 2 training session (i.e. no real exertion), I was in a tailwind section going around 35 km an hour when suddenly I felt a pang in my left inner thigh, on the front of my leg, quite high up, near my groin. I didn't see an insect and my muscles were all behaving normally, but I felt pins and needles in an area that grew to a diameter of about 10 cm. It's probably silly, but I thought I maybe popped a blood vessel ir something else, so I stopped by the side of the road half-expecting a purple upper leg, but saw nothing. Nothing on my shorts either, barring a small wet mark that was probably just a drop of water from my bidon. Anyway, I rode on and the pain went and came again a couple of times and then ultimately subsided about 15 minutes before I got home. Then when I got in the shower and felt around a bit, the pain returned and it has stayed since. It's never gotten bad, always a minor annoyance at most. I did find a tiny mark that's tender to the touch, but it doesn't look like a sting by a bee or a wasp, nor does it feel like a bee sting (I've never been stung by a wasp). It looks more like a minor burn or something, and that's sort of how it feels too. Lastly, I don't think it could have been something on the road that I flicked up with my front wheel, as it's on the front of my leg, so on the upper side while riding. Oh and I was riding on a dike, so no foliage above or even trees nearby.

Anyway, it's all minor and I'm sure it'll be mostly gone tomorrow, but weird nonetheless :iiam:

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
lol i looked closer at the rudy project website and that $80 prescription insert is just for the actual insert frame, adding my prescription would be an additional $200, so that'd be a $500 pair of sunglasses, or $600 for the optional anti-reflective coating :shepface:

zenni it may be

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

listen, it's really difficult to make a few curved bits of plastic. they really need that $600 because of how they masterfully blend cutting-edge technology and aesthetically sculpted design, along with Italian styling and attention to detail, to make some of the world’s best eyewear and hi-tech prescription solutions. Their craftsmen use the highest quality materials and manufacturing techniques to create lightweight, comfortable and extremely functional eyewear

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I got https://www.zennioptical.com/p/mens-halfrim-tr-rectangle-sunglass-frames/11431?skuId=1143121l but it doesn’t sit well with my helmet straps and it doesn’t really fit my head. ☹️

Be aware that if you see the frame outline under some of the other bro-y sunglasses it has the prescription lens insert under the sunglasses.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Should a bike be level on a indoor trainer front to rear? I'm guessing measure the height of the front axle vs the rear axle.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i took my gravel bike to the single track trails to see how much trouble I could get in

turns out the answer is quite a lot, but it was fun

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

honda whisperer posted:

Should a bike be level on a indoor trainer front to rear? I'm guessing measure the height of the front axle vs the rear axle.

Doesn’t matter too much. I use a front wheel block that has a slight upward angle to it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The Fool posted:

i took my gravel bike to the single track trails to see how much trouble I could get in

We have a lot of single track with moguls that branch off the main gravel road I ride near my house. It quickly goes from this is fun! to ohhhhh poo poo I’m going to crash then being surprised when I magically don’t crash because this compact gravel frame and giant rear end tires can handle a lot more than I am used to

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

Yeah it's a blast to take drop bars through single track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

honda whisperer posted:

many come with a block to keep your front wheel a bit higher, def recommend using one.

ive got an extra one if youre interested ill ship it to you