Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Objectively Cornel West and the Green Party would make a much better effort together then apart, unless there's some other vaguely credible candidate waiting in the wings. I'm guessing this, much like RFK Jr. abandoning the Democratic primary is just the effective end of the campaign even if the candidates themselves don't know it yet.

I mean, again, I've been told that the Green Party is little more than a big tent for anti-science weirdos and Kremlin stooges, maybe West got wise to that and no longer wants to associate with them? I agree that he'd have a better shot (lol) running on a party's ticket.

GlyphGryph posted:

Why don't you offer a different possible motivation for him running first as a Green and then as an Independent then, with the priors, again, being that he is not insane and not an idiot.

That isn't the behaviour of someone who "wants to be president" and meets those priors, so it has to be something else. Being a charlatan or grifter is the standard something, the folks running for pure ego tend to do it as one of the main parties. So why would he be running?

Defaulting to the standard assumption seems reasonable if no other plausible alternative exists.

See above. There is also the possibility of him running to give voice to issues he cares about even if he knows his chances of winning are slim to nil.

Rust Martialis posted:

Dr. Jill Biden

No clue what point you're trying to make here. Mind elaborating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of fund raising JESUS

https://twitter.com/jamesd0wns/status/1709962547548348563

This was already a razor thin margin in 22

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Dr. Jill Biden

You should call both of them professor (if Biden still teaches), as it’s much harder to get a job as faculty than it is to complete a Ph.D. and that’s the title you actually use in the profession.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Judgy Fucker posted:

See above. There is also the possibility of him running to give voice to issues he cares about even if he knows his chances of winning are slim to nil.

If you argue this, you have to explain how it works. An independent can't be in either the Republican or Democratic debates. They don't have immediate ballot access like the Greens. There is no way that they're inherently taken seriously outside anyone who already takes them seriously.

quote:

No clue what point you're trying to make here. Mind elaborating?

Academic honorifics aren't used in conversation outside the context of the academic subject unless it's in medicine. It's a weird thing to do. Even famous scientists don't do this, let alone someone whose PhD is in philosophy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Speaking of fund raising JESUS

https://twitter.com/jamesd0wns/status/1709962547548348563

This was already a razor thin margin in 22

This was a super-close race in ‘22, but haven’t a lot of democratic challenger raised a huge amount and gone on to fail? The money alone just means that democrats love to donate to campaigns against people they hate.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

This was a super-close race in ‘22, but haven’t a lot of democratic challenger raised a huge amount and gone on to fail? The money alone just means that democrats love to donate to campaigns against people they hate.

Yeah, people dumped an ungodly amount of money into Amy McGrath's campaign against Mitch McConnell and she got legendarily destroyed. That's not fraud, though, since she had a D after her name.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I AM GRANDO posted:

She tried to tone down the MAGA stuff in the wake of her skin-of-the-teeth win, and so far the biggest story about her has been when she was jerking a guy off in the audience of a children's play, denying it, and then having the footage pasted across national media.

That seat is not some outside chance against a strong incumbent.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
This discussion did remind me that it's been a hot minute since I looked at the HHS unaccompanied children data. You know, half of what people are referring to when they talk about Kids In Cages. News is goodish! Looks like influx / emergency intake shelters are presently not really a thing, and stay times at ORR are... significantly better than under Trump, although it looks like 2023 is worse than 2022.

Summary data by year: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/orr/about/ucs/facts-and-data
More detailed data for 2023, in a website format that is completely bollocksed on PC Chrome: https://www.hhs.gov/programs/social-services/unaccompanied-children/latest-uc-data-fy2023/index.html

Average length of stay (imo the most important metric) was 30 in 2022, which is about two weeks too long but squeaks in under the non-emergency-situation target, and 40-45 in 2023, which isn't great. also ORR seems to be doing a pretty bang-up job about getting unaccompanied kids to immediate family in the states

Can't immediately find current data on kid length of time in CBP custody before being handed to ORR. This is one of the other relevant metrics because CBP doesn't particularly like having to go to the effort of treating detainees well and doesn't really like having to hold them at all when they could either deport the migrants or at least make them another agency's problem. The good news is that the latter (Trump admin excepted) creates pressure for CBP to give the children to ORR as soon as they possibly can.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I really wish we had a different political climate for many, many reasons. The recent tensions where I live, which is overall more liberal than much of America, over the presence of migrants, is one of those reasons.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/04/nyregion/eric-adams-right-to-shelter-migrant-crisis.html

NYC is trying to suspend the right to shelter, citing the increased load due to the increased migrant population presence. I suspect Mayor Adams is facing issues with his own willpower too, to be fair...

Anyway, everything I see and read points to a need for a comprehensive infrastructure to process and house people coming in and help them get incorporated into our society in a rational and compassionate way but way too many people just want to kick everyone out.

The back and forth about the border is making me think of that. A border wall will fix nothing, but we have massive issues with properly dealing with all the people who want to come in. I don't know how to implement any of my ideas without becoming a benevolent despot.

By the way, I hate our mayor.

quote:

Mr. Adams continued to criticize Mr. Biden on Tuesday night, saying at an event with business leaders that he could not remain quiet when the cost of providing services to migrants would force him to cut other programs that help New Yorkers in poverty.

“On this issue, I believe the White House is wrong,” Mr. Adams said.

Mr. Adams said he planned to speak with local media on his trip to Mexico, Ecuador and Colombia to let potential asylum seekers know that they would not find hospitable conditions if they came to New York.

“We are not going to be in a five-star hotel, as many people have told us,” he said. “If that can resonate and start that conversation there, I’m going to try.”

Most of these people are running away either due to abject poverty or to save their own lives, you cretin.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is the second third party Cornell West has tried to get nominated for, but then dropped out after it was clear that he was probably going to lose/spend a lot more effort than initially anticipated with the nominating process.

You can just Occam's Razor and use the knowledge that:

- West is a notoriously eccentric weirdo with strong religious beliefs that guide his political beliefs.
- He has always been an activist for those beliefs and sought the spotlight.
- He wants to advocate for those beliefs in the public sphere.

and come to the determination that he wants to run for President to advocate for his beliefs and get public attention. He has attempted to do so by being associated with two third parties, but has failed and will become an independent to meet his goals. Leaving the Green party actually makes it more difficult for him to get ballot access and is probably something that the Democratic party is happy with.

He wants to advocate for his religious and political beliefs and he is a notoriously eccentric person who wants to have national attention to personally advocate for those ideas. Running for President is a good way to do that and after the first two attempts to run with the assistance of other political parties failed, then an independent run is the next best way to achieve it.

I don't think you have to look much deeper than that.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Xombie posted:

If you argue this, you have to explain how it works. An independent can't be in either the Republican or Democratic debates. They don't have immediate ballot access like the Greens. There is no way that they're inherently taken seriously outside anyone who already takes them seriously.

We're talking about him, aren't we? There are articles being published about him, social media posts, aren't there? I already agreed he'd have a better shot--slim as it is--while in a party.

Xombie posted:

Academic honorifics aren't used in conversation outside the context of the academic subject unless it's in medicine. It's a weird thing to do. Even famous scientists don't do this, let alone someone whose PhD is in philosophy.

This has not been my experience at all (and saying "It's a weird thing to do" is bordering on an ad hom), but sure, whatever.

eta: I think Leon has a spot-on analysis of West and his motivations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yeah in like Texas and Kentucky, not a race that the incumbent almost lost.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The actual correct position re: immigration is that we should be encouraging it; statistically, it is a huge net gain for us, economically and culturally, especially in light of our otherwise declining population growth.

But it's hyperpoliticized and thus no longer arguable. Immigration isn't a problem it is a solution but good luck getting the post fox news public to see that.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Raising a lot of money for a swing seat in congress is good. If you want to complain about fundraising, Democrats are donating millions of dollars to candidates in the California senate primary.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Raising a lot of money for a swing seat in congress is good. If you want to complain about fundraising, Democrats are donating millions of dollars to candidates in the California senate primary.

You probably need that to run a campaign at all in CA. You can’t just assume you’ll win because republicans are unpopular. That’s how you get the weird guy who filled Ted Kennedy’s seat for a term.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Judgy Fucker posted:

We're talking about him, aren't we? There are articles being published about him, social media posts, aren't there? I already agreed he'd have a better shot--slim as it is--while in a party.

But you are one of the people who takes him seriously already. You're talking about expanding his audience as a motivation. There were already articles being published about him, social media posts, etc. He's already a public figure of some sort. That doesn't prove that an independent presidential run does anything to actually expand that audience.

I'm not convinced people who run vanity campaigns outside of major parties actually have anyone looking at them that wasn't already looking at them. What media will cover him that wouldn't have covered him if he did some other publicity stunt?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Running for President as an independent is not really a good way to make money unless you have a book coming out or you manage to parlay that fame into something more lucrative. He already makes a significant amount of money. Granted, he has some large debts, but that isn't due to an income problem.

I doubt Cornell West is doing running for President specifically to make money. Running for President is a good way to get free air travel to campaign events and free food, but not a great way to increase your personal checking account.

Cornel West is a prolific writer with quite a few books under his belt, so I wouldn't be so quick to write that off. Granted, it's been a few years since he's published a book, and he hasn't announced any new ones coming, but the election is still more than a year away.

That said, looking at his campaign rhetoric, I don't really think it's about the money. I think he's aiming to be a spoiler candidate who weakens Dems in purple states by siphoning off votes from young leftists. He publicly denies that, as is traditional for people aiming to be spoiler candidates, but he's not being all that subtle about it otherwise.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm less clear on whether the waivers are functionally mandated. My gut would say no. Mayorkas has been more willing to listen to shitheads in CBP/ICE on some issues than I'd prefer and this seems like it would be a perfect time to, well, not do those waivers and let things just drag along. If someone wants to sue about this interfering with the "expeditious" clause, they can do that. Otoh the "high illegal entry" bit isn't mayorkas repeating cbp whining, it's part of the congressional instruction for where to build the required barriers.

as far as the "oho candidate biden said he'd never build any border wall" well i guess maybe he should have had a more encyclopedic knowledge of existing appropriations bills

edited some because a few of my sentences got away from me

The register notice is at least phrased as a "must" as well.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Xombie posted:

But you are one of the people who takes him seriously already. You're talking about expanding his audience as a motivation. There were already articles being published about him, social media posts, etc. He's already a public figure of some sort. That doesn't prove that an independent presidential run does anything to actually expand that audience.

You don’t think running for President would expand his public profile at all? Really? And as far as leaving the Greens, that’s already been discussed. Maybe he is willing to take a hit so as to not be associated with charlatans?

And I’m not sure what you mean by “take him seriously” because you’ve ascribed that position to me and would like clarification on what I purportedly believe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Main Paineframe posted:

Cornel West is a prolific writer with quite a few books under his belt, so I wouldn't be so quick to write that off. Granted, it's been a few years since he's published a book, and he hasn't announced any new ones coming, but the election is still more than a year away.

That said, looking at his campaign rhetoric, I don't really think it's about the money. I think he's aiming to be a spoiler candidate who weakens Dems in purple states by siphoning off votes from young leftists. He publicly denies that, as is traditional for people aiming to be spoiler candidates, but he's not being all that subtle about it otherwise.

Leaving the Green party would hurt his goal of doing that because it makes ballot access much more difficult.

His official reason is that it was too much work navigating the Green party nomination process.

quote:

Peter Daou, Mr. West’s campaign manager, said that the West campaign had weighed these likely complications against other factors, such as the Green Party’s highly decentralized nominating process.

“You have to consider the pros and cons, and he did,” he said. “And he came down on the side of wanting to be 100 percent laser-focused on people as opposed to the party process.”

It seems like he just wants to be officially running so he can campaign and make appearances without having to pay for it out of his personal pocket. That seems to indicate that he is much more focused on making sure he gets to advocate for his beliefs personally rather than doing whatever is most likely to make him a spoiler candidate.

He may want to be a spoiler candidate, but his actions indicate that he really wants to personally be involved in the media/campaign aspect and values that more than the ideological/pragmatic goal of successfully being a spoiler. He doesn't want to support someone else who might get the Green Party nomination or People's Party nomination. He wants to be doing it himself.

Prominent activist or rich person runs vanity/issue campaign for President is a pretty common phenomenon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jslaternyc/status/1709748330606023166

Really hosed up story about how there have been more than 500 hoax school shooting emergency calls made in the last year, which of course result in armed tactical teams busting into schools and pointing guns at everyone.

quote:

Lt. James Rich was one of the officers at the scene. He remembers the rush of adrenaline and the strange silence inside the school. It felt like a puzzle whose pieces didn’t fit.

Officers checked every room in the building. They found nothing except terrified children and teachers.

The 911 call that led police there had been a hoax.

It got stranger. At least eight other schools across Michigan were targeted with similar hoax calls that morning.

For weeks, Rich would wake up in the middle of the night, replaying the incident in his mind. His colleague had a term for what happened: terror without a body count.

Even months later, one question gnawed at him. Who was behind the calls?

That same question has troubled police departments across the country.

Over the past year, more than 500 schools in the United States have been subjected to a coordinated campaign of fear that exploits the all-too-real American danger of school shootings, according to a review of media reports and dozens of public records requests. The Washington Post examined police reports, emergency call recordings, body-camera footage or call logs in connection with incidents in 24 states.

Investigators seem to think it's the same guy, making the calls through VOIP outside of America.

quote:

Many of the calls have followed a distinct pattern, according to police reports and recordings reviewed by The Post.

A male voice says that he is inside a school and that multiple students are shot. Many times, he claims to be a teacher. He says he is in a particular classroom or a bathroom, and tells the police to hurry.

He speaks with a heavy accent, police reports note. The calls first come in on non-emergency lines and are not recordings: The speaker interacts with dispatchers and responds to their questions.
Three months before the hoax calls in Michigan, something strikingly similar unfolded in northern Louisiana. A male voice described by police as having a “foreign accent” reported an active shooting in progress at a high school in Bossier Parish, near Shreveport. Patrol officers raced to the scene but found no threat.

The detective who took the case, Capt. Shannon Mack, relished the chance to investigate the call. Her probe would unravel fresh details of the shooting hoax mystery, turning up clues and dead ends.
After Bossier Parish received the school shooting hoax call in November, Mack sought several search warrants. She started with TextNow, asking for all the information the company had about two numbers linked to the incident: call logs, internet protocol addresses, account setup data. Then she moved on to Google and Apple, asking for everything they had on the email addresses that created the TextNow accounts.

The result was a trove of data that offered a minute-by-minute window into the activity of the perpetrator — or perpetrators. The logs revealed hundreds of calls over a roughly two-week period, many to police departments, schools and even restaurants. The caller mostly dialed numbers in the United States, but there were also a few dozen calls made to Australia and Canada.

One TextNow number was linked to school shooting hoaxes in at least six states: Alaska on Nov. 2; California and Texas on Nov. 4; Maine on Nov. 15; Ohio and Louisiana on Nov. 16.
For Mack, the finding pointed to an even bigger pattern — and an even more prolific swatter. In April 2022, she had investigated a bomb threat hoax call targeting a local school. It, too, was made with a TextNow number that was traced to an internet protocol address in Ethiopia. Even the voice on the 911 call sounded the same in the two cases.

When the school shooting hoax call took place in November, Mack recognized the voice from the earlier bomb threat. She quickly called the number back. She heard the same male voice say, “Hello? Hello?”

“Hey, why are you calling schools and doing that to kids?” Mack recalled saying. “You know it’s wrong. Where you at?”

The person hung up.

quote:

Catalin Grigoras, director of the National Center for Media Forensics at the University of Colorado at Denver, conducted a technical analysis for The Post of five of the hoax calls made between September 2022 and April 2023. Grigoras said there was a strong probability that the caller used a device or app to alter their voice in real time. However, it was also highly likely, Grigoras said, that the same person was speaking in each recording.

The swatter’s use of technology is notable, said James Turgal, a former senior official at the FBI’s information and technology branch who is now vice president at Optiv, a cybersecurity firm. “Gone are the days when someone on a hard-line phone would call in a bomb threat because they didn’t want to take their final that day,” Turgal said. “That was ye olden days.”

Another enigma was the caller’s motivation. The perpetrator of the school shooting hoaxes could be driven by hostility, money or some combination of the two, experts said. On platforms such as Telegram, there are groups offering swatting services: one viewed in August by The Post touted the possibility of “extreme harassment” for $100 a day and bragged about being able to close any school.

But the volume of school shooting hoaxes may also suggest a kind of compulsion. “I think they can’t stop,” said Keven Hendricks, an investigator and cybercrime expert who has worked on swatting cases with police. “This is what this person does.”

Anyway, they still don't know who's doing it or why, though someone intimated at a school safety conference in Utah that the FBI does have some suspects.

quote:

At Nouvel Catholic Central High School, the doors rammed by the police cruiser were swiftly repaired. Other damage will take longer to heal.

Lydia Schade, 17, was in her pre-calculus class when the lockdown announcement came over the loudspeaker and she saw her teacher’s face go white. She knew it wasn’t a drill. As she huddled in a corner, she thought of her late grandmother, who used to tell her to be strong, to be a warrior.

Her enduring memory of that day is the moment when students were released, one by one, from the school gym. It is the fear etched on the faces of the parents waiting outside that she remembers.

Tim Novak, a parent at Nouvel Catholic, recalled the agonizing minutes when his son Max, then a senior, wasn’t responding to his text messages. Novak said he knows all too well that the hoax could have been real. He stopped speaking, unable to continue. His eyes filled with tears. “It’s because it happens so often,” he said.

I don't have any trenchant commentary here beyond it's really hosed up that one crazy guy in Macedonia or wherever can reach out and cause such misery and terror on the other side of the planet with a phone call

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jslaternyc/status/1709748330606023166

Really hosed up story about how there have been more than 500 hoax school shooting emergency calls made in the last year, which of course result in armed tactical teams busting into schools and pointing guns at everyone.

Investigators seem to think it's the same guy, making the calls through VOIP outside of America.

Anyway, they still don't know who's doing it or why, though someone intimated at a school safety conference in Utah that the FBI does have some suspects.

I don't have any trenchant commentary here beyond it's really hosed up that one crazy guy in Macedonia or wherever can reach out and cause such misery and terror on the other side of the planet with a phone call

If it’s as simple as a google voice account and a vpn, you’d think it would happen more often. Maybe organized groups or state actors have investigated it and realized that loving with a single school on a single day doesn’t really do anything and the only reason to bother is because that’s your fetish.

500 schools is a lot, but if you had like 50 guys, it seems like you could hit every school in a city at once.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

zoux posted:

In the article there is a reconstructed timetable of calls from one morning and it’s like this guy is in a call center somewhere. Just instant turn over of calls and he’s running a rehearsed script and interacting with dispatchers in routine way. If it’s one sick individual they are certainly quite motivated and practiced.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yiggy posted:

In the article there is a reconstructed timetable of calls from one morning and it’s like this guy is in a call center somewhere. Just instant turn over of calls and he’s running a rehearsed script and interacting with dispatchers in routine way. If it’s one sick individual they are certainly quite motivated and practiced.

Well I imagine somewhere around the 400th or so time you place a call like that you probably do get somewhat practiced at it and have a general script in mind for what you're going to say. Again.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The actual correct position re: immigration is that we should be encouraging it; statistically, it is a huge net gain for us, economically and culturally, especially in light of our otherwise declining population growth.

But it's hyperpoliticized and thus no longer arguable. Immigration isn't a problem it is a solution but good luck getting the post fox news public to see that.

Yeah even among democrats people mostly don't give a gently caress about asylum seekers.

And the fact that immigration is an economic positive is counter-intuitive to the narrative so you have to explain it, and if you're explaining you're losing.

Fear politics work really really well, that's how a party as incompetent as Republicans can stay alive and in power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which countries have good immigration policies worth emulating?

To my view, every liberal democracy in the world is dealing with nationalist backlash to immigration, whether political or economic, and it's driving the rise of far right parties across Europe and the Americas. Great Britain literally detonated their whole country rather than accept more Polish guest workers. We elected a clearly insane moron because he was mean to Hispanic migrants on the campaign trail.

Dunno what the solution is but it's very concerning that you can get millions of people to turn into frothing fascists because someone who doesn't speak English took a little too long in line in front of them at the grocery store.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is also the possibility of him running to give voice to issues he cares about even if he knows his chances of winning are slim to nil.

Yeah OK that's a viable option too, thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for if he says that or not. If that is his intention and he's not saying so but fundraising, that's still a grift. A better grift, admittedly.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

So there's a low-key story buried in this tweet X: Elon has decided that posted news articles will no longer have the headlines attached to them:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/10/musk-makes-news-links-on-twitter-aka-x-less-useful-by-removing-headlines/

quote:

Previously, posting a news link on X/Twitter would create a box with the article's lead image, headline, and the domain of the news site. Now, a news link on X is just the article image with the site domain (e.g., arstechnica.com) superimposed on the bottom left. Clicking the image will take you to the news site's article.

A tweeter (or Xer, as Musk prefers) can still post the headline and/or a description of the article in the main text field. If the user doesn't do that, the post won't have any text describing what the article is about.

From now on, there is no guarantee that commentary on a tweet X corresponds to even the headline of the linked story, let alone the content.

I'm not accusing you or your link of doing this at all, just making note that this has now a thing with twitter X, and we should be prepared for it moving forward.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's like Elon is trying to maximize the social harm that the platform can have.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

In a sort of "Lost Chapter from Catch-22" moment, Biden is calling the press into the Oval Office to condemn the new wall construction started by the Department of Homeland Security.

He is noting that it was part of a 2019 law passed before he was President and he asked for it to be re-appropriated, but congress refused. He says most of the construction is going to roads and lights, but also says that the wall part is a waste of time and money. However, he says it has to be built. The law was passed in 2019 and specified that construction was required to start by October 7th, 2023.

https://twitter.com/asmamk/status/1709974348281295094

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bel Shazar posted:

Yeah OK that's a viable option too, thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for if he says that or not. If that is his intention and he's not saying so but fundraising, that's still a grift. A better grift, admittedly.

Here's his serious policy document
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1709952330253128109

Discendo Vox posted:

It's like Elon is trying to maximize the social harm that the platform can have.

The result is just going to be that news outlets put the headline in the tweet instead of the subhed, I don't think it's going to have a material effect. I think he's trying to increase clickthroughs? But also he's a malicious moron so who knows.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Which countries have good immigration policies worth emulating?

America pre-1954 (closure of Ellis island)

More seriously New Zealand has a pretty solid overall immigration policy. It's a point based system based on what jobs are hiring and anyone who has enough points / right job skills can get in. It would be better if it were less restrictive though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Leaving the Green party would hurt his goal of doing that because it makes ballot access much more difficult.

His official reason is that it was too much work navigating the Green party nomination process.

It seems like he just wants to be officially running so he can campaign and make appearances without having to pay for it out of his personal pocket. That seems to indicate that he is much more focused on making sure he gets to advocate for his beliefs personally rather than doing whatever is most likely to make him a spoiler candidate.

He may want to be a spoiler candidate, but his actions indicate that he really wants to personally be involved in the media/campaign aspect and values that more than the ideological/pragmatic goal of successfully being a spoiler. He doesn't want to support someone else who might get the Green Party nomination or People's Party nomination. He wants to be doing it himself.

Prominent activist or rich person runs vanity/issue campaign for President is a pretty common phenomenon.

If he's only seeking to play a spoiler, then he doesn't need to get on ballots nationwide, just in a couple of swing states that went for Biden in 2020.

And not wanting to deal with Green Party primaries is understandable. Especially given that the Greens are probably tired of being played for fools by famous names who are running just to vent their resentment at the Democrats. A spoiler strategy is harmful to the Greens in a couple of different ways, so a Green primary might actually be trouble for him.

And the above is why he wouldn't want to support some other Green Party candidate. Because a career Green Party candidate would likely be focused on running up the score in deep-blue states, to boost the Greens' popular vote percentage without running the risk of electing Trump. That's a very different path from what an intentional spoiler would do.

If West were just running to promote his ideological causes, then I'd expect him to spend more time talking about his causes, and less time loudly insisting that a vote for Democrats is a vote for fascism and that the only true anti-fascism is a third-party vote. Like I said, he's not being very subtle about his intention to be a spoiler candidate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jesus and I thought the green party one was embarrassing.

fake edit lmao there's an antivax point in here too

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This whips. I'm voting West in 2024.

Hard to choose but I think the worker justice part is my favorite:

Establish a workers bill of rights that includes the end of right-to-work states
    Greater protections for workers who attempt to unionize
    Requirement for all non-profit organizations to allow for the unionization of workers and collective bargaining
    One year limit on contract negotiations - if the contract is not completed in one year, the demands of the workers will be immediately codified
    33% minimum worker representation for of all Boards of Directors
    Transform Paid Family Leave to mandate a minimum of six-months fully paid time off
    End all pay discrepancies based on race, gender identity, disability status, etc.
    Establish a federal commission to institute a four-day work week
    Review all U.S. trade agreements and cancel any provisions that exploit workers domestically and internationally
    National free pre-K childcare

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RedistrictNet/status/1709950884988248523

I am so relieved that this is what happened, because it sure seemed like Kavanaugh was giving Alabama a road map on how to get his vote in a subsequent challenge. The new AL-02 was/would've been Biden +12

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I could believe that Cornel West just wanted to do a vanity campaign and wasn't prepared for the level of grift around "socialist professor launches presidential campaign". I mean Bernie Sanders had to have been better prepared, and he was running as a Democrat so legit people were actually offering to work with him, and he still fell for a bunch of grifters.

quote:

Convene a federal panel of scientists and experts to study the safety and utilization of vaccines for infectious diseases

lol of course this is here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The biggest indicator of fraud is the presence of Peter Daou.

Also "Abolish poverty" isn't a policy position.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Why stop at a federal panel? Why not expand on that to an permanent fixture? Like a bureau or something. Put them in charge of vetting drugs for safety and efficacy. Hell, we can give them food too. Call it the Drugs & Food Bureau. Someone fuckin elect this genius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It is kind of funny that he mentions that, by running as an independent, he is able to produce a new dream platform without limits on feasibility or dogma from other political parties and several of the planks are still "Form a commission to study X."

It reminds me of that one joke from The Office where Dwight tells Jim his fantasy about torturing him in Hell as the assistant manager of Satan's Hotel and he replies, "You're not the manager? Even in your own fantasy? Just so I understand it, in your wildest fantasy, you are in Hell, and you are co-running a bed-and-breakfast with the Devil?"

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 5, 2023