Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't use MDF in a humid environment, it will absorb water. Better to go with plywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Roger

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am going to need to buy Keystone (or similar) blocks to put up a retaining wall. The people who are doing the designing and building are having me buy the blocks, probably so that the cashflow is mine rather than theirs.

Is there anything that makes some of these blocks safer than others? Are there brands I should prefer? Is there anything I should know when shopping? There is a Home Depot within delivery range of me, but not a Lowe's. There are also a couple of specialty stores that do nothing but sell blocks, and I hope to hit at least one of those. Anything I buy will be shipped several hours, so it's nice that Home Depot includes delivery.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MDF isn't ideal but that's the underpinnings of 95% of budget apartment cabinetry in both the kitchen and bathrooms. It will fail if it gets water logged though yeah

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

We had a technician come out and clean our gas fireplace, he pointed out that the burn pan is warped and cracked and suggested replacing it. Cool, pay him and leave a message with their office

Three calls later and these people have ghosted me, I guess they don't want the work.

I call another company to tell them that we want to replace our cracked burn pan, but they want to do another cleaning and inspection first. This feels like a trap, like they could wind up doing the same thing after "cleaning" an already clean fireplace.

Replacing it myself seems kind of scary, anyone itt work on a gas fireplace? Am just being a chicken?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Had one replaced recently (last year) at the MIL house, and while chatting with the repair guy, he said that the biggest issue is getting the replacement parts - many are just not made anymore. Replacing them isn't hard, since you are not playing with the gas lines themselves.

The "we gotta clean it first" is probably a case that too many people just call for repair and it's impossible to work on it without cleaning it (or a clean fixes the problem).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

We had a technician come out and clean our gas fireplace, he pointed out that the burn pan is warped and cracked and suggested replacing it. Cool, pay him and leave a message with their office

Three calls later and these people have ghosted me, I guess they don't want the work.

I call another company to tell them that we want to replace our cracked burn pan, but they want to do another cleaning and inspection first. This feels like a trap, like they could wind up doing the same thing after "cleaning" an already clean fireplace.

Replacing it myself seems kind of scary, anyone itt work on a gas fireplace? Am just being a chicken?

What’s scary about it? The two I’ve worked on all come apart easily for maintenance and part replacement and the burny part is about as complex as a propane grill.

If you look up the manual for yours it will show you the part number you need and if you’re really lucky it’ll have replacement instructions

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

MDF isn't ideal but that's the underpinnings of 95% of budget apartment cabinetry in both the kitchen and bathrooms.

And every production built subdivision house I’ve ever seen.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

What’s scary about it? The two I’ve worked on all come apart easily for maintenance and part replacement and the burny part is about as complex as a propane grill.

If you look up the manual for yours it will show you the part number you need and if you’re really lucky it’ll have replacement instructions

The instruction manual is full of diagrams but this particular part is not one of the labeled pieces, so I'm just left to guess. Looking around at part websites and comparing those pictures + part numbers to the list of part numbers and vague descriptions in the manual, I think that I've identified the right thing. But I'm not certain, and that sucks.

But if I'm right, I could save probably a few hundred dollars.

Anyway I think it's this thing:

This is the bottom side, the other side is what's under the fake logs and rocks. I don't know what the deal with the tube is. The installation manual doesn't show how to remove or replace this piece, I think the fireplace came with it pre-installed. So to be really certain that this is what I need, I'd have to do some exploratory surgery and that sounds like a pain in the rear end

This is the piece that's supposed to ensure a specific distribution of flames. I don't know what the consequences are if I gently caress up the installation :shrug: It looks like just 4 screws, but does that tube need to be seated in some special way? Is it connected to the gas line? It's a mystery

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 28, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah do some exploratory stuff to figure out how it fits together. It’s not that bad, I promise. Just dirty. All that stuff will be after the valve so if you make sure it’s shut nothing will explode (check the manual for how to confirm with electronic valve controls).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to tell what kind of counters I have? They look like quartz to me, but I'm not a counter expert:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
We keep telling you man, ask your lawyer!

Nah I'm playing. No idea. Look nice though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Look underneath them. Quartz is usually conspicuously marked by the manufacturer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Get a detail shot where the "vein" meets the white, maybe dial the contrast up far enough it doesn't look like it was taken with a potato

My guess is quartz as well tho, or maybe poured epoxy

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I want to replace my old 30" over-oven external vented microwave with one that has a convection oven feature. Are there any brands folks could recommend?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I want to replace my old 30" over-oven external vented microwave with one that has a convection oven feature. Are there any brands folks could recommend?

There are only two or so actual companies that make microwaves, the rest are rebadges. I can't remember the other name but Panasonic is one of them, make sure you get an Inverter one.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

distortion park posted:

There are only two or so actual companies that make microwaves, the rest are rebadges. I can't remember the other name but Panasonic is one of them, make sure you get an Inverter one.

All counter top microwaves are some by Midea.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I saw some paint bubbling around the backside of my fireplace so I've had some people come out to take a look at the chimney/flashing to see what needed to be repaired. The roofs guys all said the flashing is great and the roof is less than 10 years old. They pointed out some cracks in the chimney and recommended that I just go up there with caulk and seal it myself. I've had two chimney repair companies come out to take a look as well. One of them said he would spray sealant around the chimney and pointed out a crack on an air duct that he would fix as well. The other company wants to repair the cracks with caulk and mortar then spray sealant along with resurfacing the crown. Cost wise it's only a few hundred difference between the two so money isn't my motivating factor I just have no idea if I'm being taken for a ride with the extra services.

I'm in Southern California and we never use our fireplace so our only concern is making sure that the leaks stop so that I can repair the drywall.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I would like a rec for mold cleaning chemicals for my bathtub. There is an obnoxious nook in it for a handle which is very difficult to scrub. When I re-painted the drat thing the pain formed some uneven surfaces behind the handle that mold loves. I cannot get anything larger than a toothbrush in there to scrub, and Lysol spray is not cutting it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pokie posted:

I would like a rec for mold cleaning chemicals for my bathtub. There is an obnoxious nook in it for a handle which is very difficult to scrub. When I re-painted the drat thing the pain formed some uneven surfaces behind the handle that mold loves. I cannot get anything larger than a toothbrush in there to scrub, and Lysol spray is not cutting it.

Spor-Klenz. :haw:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Isn't spor klenz mostly vinegar anyway?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Isn't spor klenz mostly vinegar anyway?

22% Hydrogen peroxide, 4.5% Peroxyacetic acid, and then ~10% acetic acid (aka vinegar)

I was mostly kidding either way, because it smells horrific, burns if you breathe it, and is expensive as gently caress. Don't clean your home bathroom with sporklenz

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I always felt so bad for the cleaners who had to use it for the monthly cleans. Stuck wiping down walls and floors with that stuff for hours sometimes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Am I doing poo poo wrong or is finding someone halfway capable of fixing or even looking at literally anything wrong with a home nearly impossible nowadays? Maybe it's both. poo poo I can't even figure out how to get new pillows and sheets that aren't poo poo, so it's definitely something wrong with me, but I don't think it's just my normal incompetence but itself...

Im so tired of shopping for stuff that doesn't seem to exist. -_-

At least the poison ivy removal is going well and the new toilets I installed are working great. Unfortunately, "working great" seems to be an outcome exclusive to things that I've had to do entirely on my own without help at this point, and I really am not qualified to do most of this work in a way that isn't going to end badly...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In general the people who you want to look at poo poo don't have to advertise to get business so they are hard to find and booked out for weeks. On the other hand people who you don't want to work on it advertise everywhere and are immediately available.

It sucks but word of mouth tends to be the best way to find good help. The best contractors tend to travel in packs because they like to work with competent people, so if you find one good one it is a good idea to ask them for recommendations for other trades.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

pokie posted:

Scrubbing Bubbles Foaming Bleach Spray does a good job on bathroom mold in my experience.

Just... don't combine it with anything. Because it's bleach.

I don't know what all it has in it that sets it apart from just a diluted bleach/water mix in a spray bottle, but it seems to work way better.

Supposedly Concrobium spray is mold-specific and does a better job, but I haven't had as good luck with it.

edit: I've also used the Scrubbing Bubbles to somewhat successfully mitigate artillery fungus in mulch. At least I think so... seems to slow it down, at least.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 5, 2023

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm pretty sure you can mix bleach and vinegar and a lot of other things.
Just not ammonia (which is in most window cleaners as well fyi)

Baddog edit - I'm gonna edit this poo poo out because I don't want to even take the chance that someone scans just this one post and is like "oh yah ok that sounds like a plan". Even if this one is almost to the level of known dumbass joke advice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 5, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Please stop giving advice on things you don't understand that are actively harmful to others.

You should NEVER mix bleach and vinegar. Depending on the relative concentrations it will give off chorine gas.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Yeah this is poo poo advice. Educate yourself before posting about poisons.

https://doh.wa.gov/community-and-environment/contaminants/bleach-mixing-dangers

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Never expected to see that posted here lmfao don’t kill yourself goons

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Fast avatar purchase, wow. :lol:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Muddle mint leaves, gin, bleach, and vinegar together with crushed ice for a refreshing summer highball that everyone at your garden party will love.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Quaint Qhlorine Quills

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Am I doing poo poo wrong or is finding someone halfway capable of fixing or even looking at literally anything wrong with a home nearly impossible nowadays? Maybe it's both. poo poo I can't even figure out how to get new pillows and sheets that aren't poo poo, so it's definitely something wrong with me, but I don't think it's just my normal incompetence but itself...

Im so tired of shopping for stuff that doesn't seem to exist. -_-

At least the poison ivy removal is going well and the new toilets I installed are working great. Unfortunately, "working great" seems to be an outcome exclusive to things that I've had to do entirely on my own without help at this point, and I really am not qualified to do most of this work in a way that isn't going to end badly...

Contractors are all giving out “make it worth my while” quotes so everybody has to turn into a handyman if they actually want anything done.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

What’s a good humidity level for an unfinished basement with no HVAC, but does have the condensate lines for the HVAC system running into a floor drain

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

What’s a good humidity level for an unfinished basement with no HVAC, but does have the condensate lines for the HVAC system running into a floor drain

50 is a good general all season target. You definitely want it under 60 in the summer and depending on how cold it gets in your area and depending on if you have a humidifier in the conditioned parts of your home you may find it down to 20 or 30 in the winter.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

50 is a good general all season target. You definitely want it under 60 in the summer and depending on how cold it gets in your area and depending on if you have a humidifier in the conditioned parts of your home you may find it down to 20 or 30 in the winter.

Oh good, my dehumidifier can keep it around 45 easily.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

In general the people who you want to look at poo poo don't have to advertise to get business so they are hard to find and booked out for weeks. On the other hand people who you don't want to work on it advertise everywhere and are immediately available.

It sucks but word of mouth tends to be the best way to find good help. The best contractors tend to travel in packs because they like to work with competent people, so if you find one good one it is a good idea to ask them for recommendations for other trades.

I resisted for a long time but eventually succumbed and registered with Nextdoor very recently for this reason. Between nextdoor and a local goon I was able to find a reputable plumber

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Please stop giving advice on things you don't understand that are actively harmful to others.

You should NEVER mix bleach and vinegar. Depending on the relative concentrations it will give off chorine gas.

I posted about not mixing these two things in this or the fix it fast thread less than two weeks ago!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Lol :drat: justice is swift in this thread.