Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yes it’s very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Fuckin' made some two days in a row, my whole fuckin' family lives it so much.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Toast King posted:

I had my first go at making pane bianco for someone today and it turned out great! They were very happy with it. I spread a small amount of pesto inside and added garlic, basil, sundried tomatoes, olives and cheese. Love the presentation and it's surprisingly simple to do.

Tried this the other day and very happy with how it came out.

Used real mozzarella which was probably too subtle and overpowered by the sundried tomatoes and garlic. Next time planning to use a mixture of chedder & gruyere and confit garlic instead of raw.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

John Romero posted:

do u ever think “i fuckin love making japanese milk bread (shokupan) using the king arthur flour recipe”

tangzhong is wizard poo poo

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm looking it up, and I'd like to try it, but I'd probably gently caress it up by insisting on using sourdough yeast.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EightFlyingCars posted:

tangzhong is wizard poo poo

I really must try that when my kitchen is usable again and I have an oven.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Stupid Decisions posted:

Tried this the other day and very happy with how it came out.

I'm trying this recipe for the second time, today, and the dough was incredibly dry. Like ridiculously. I weighed out everything to the gram, and ended up having to add several tablespoons of water to the dough, to get it all supple. The instructions said that the dough should be very soft, and stick to the bottom, but if I hadn't added water it would have been basically pie crust dough.

Anybody else experience this?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Did you forget the egg?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Mother. Fucker

:suicide:

Edit: Welp, starting over, I guess

Edit 2: ooh, yah, dat's more like it. Amazing how much a single egg can change the texture of dough.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 5, 2023

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the trick is, instead of waiting for the tangzhong to cool off, mix the cold milk and beaten egg with it right away. then add it to the stand mixer

my phone suggested “beat up gf” when i started typing beaten egg. hmm.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

John Romero posted:

the trick is, instead of waiting for the tangzhong to cool off, mix the cold milk and beaten egg with it right away. then add it to the stand mixer

my phone suggested “beat up gf” when i started typing beaten egg. hmm.

:whitewater:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

This is one of those recipes where you look at it, think "I don't know about this", eat a piece, think "this could be crispier", eat another piece, and keep alternating criticisms and pieces until you're basically done.

It's really tasty, though I think it needs a baguette-like crust to really hit the next level. The texture is a little one note, right now.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

null_pointer posted:

This is one of those recipes where you look at it, think "I don't know about this", eat a piece, think "this could be crispier", eat another piece, and keep alternating criticisms and pieces until you're basically done.

100%

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

John Romero posted:

do u ever think “i fuckin love making japanese milk bread (shokupan) using the king arthur flour recipe”

I've done it twice - It's good but last time the dough felt a bit wetter than expected. I'm still figuring my way around making bread since I don't do it often (an entire loaf is too much to go through with the limited amount of food I eat daily). The other half of the last loaf is in the freezer for whenever I have space for eating bread again.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
More baguettes. Even with a little board to transfer them into the stone I still gently caress it up and dump them upsidedown. And the shaping isn't as tight as I want it to be to begin with. Going to try 150g of flour per loaf next time to make them a little finer and maybe more manageable

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I just made Dutch oven sourdough banana bread and I burnt it and it sucked

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I have been tasked by Nettles to deposit this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwbW3zibmMI

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Currently I have a loaf of bread rising to be baked in a preheated enameled Dutch oven at 475° but I'm out of parchment paper. Should I run out and buy some or can I go without it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Throw down some rice flour or such like if you don't trust the enamel but most doughs wouldn't stick. Enriched or super-wet doughs, you'd need to take precautions.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I might have some rice flour floating around somewhere. Would a greased sheet of aluminum foil work?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've never used that, but I would expect foil to be harder to get off.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Just did Dutch oven sourdough pizza rolls and I didn’t proof them enough but they’re still pretty good bc cheese n roni.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Human Tornada posted:

I might have some rice flour floating around somewhere. Would a greased sheet of aluminum foil work?

I’d put it in with nothing before I’d try foil. I’ve only had bread stick once going into the Dutch oven directly. But I have one with a pan for a lid so its easy to get the bread in there and score it too.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks everyone, I sprinkled some rice flour on the bottom and it didn't stick. It also burnt on the outside, but that's because it burnt last time and I forgot to make a note on the recipe to reduce the time. The inside was still good though.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm troubleshooting sourdough pizza dough. Crosspost from pizza thread

HolHorsejob posted:

I made sourdough pizza dough last night. My fridge is kinda cold so I left it on the counter in ziplocs for like an hour and a half to wake up the starter. No activity.

Well, it wasn't all that warm in my kitchen, so I put it in the oven with the light on (~90F) for about an hour. Still nothing.

I put it in the fridge in its usual spot (crisper drawer at ~40F). I check back today, still nothing. What should I attribute this to? Can I still salvage this batch by throwing it back in the stand mixer with regular yeast?

Recipe:
- 900g neopolitan 00 pizza flour
- 600g water
- 350g starter
- 15g olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
(salt I'll add just before baking)

I mixed everything, hydrated for 5 minutes, kneaded for ~6 minutes in my stand mixer.

Variables:
- Starter was in cold fridge, like 35F. It's made from a leftover crust from last batch + flour & water
- I mixed it up before I left on a business trip, then didn't touch it for 2 weeks
- No salt in initial dough mix
- Less olive oil than usual

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I made banana bread yesterday, it turned out great.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yesterday I worked backwards from the amount of starter that was in a jar I wanted to do away with.

600 grams of starter means 2000 grams of flour for a whole buncha bread.

Worked out great in a 20” mixing bowl I’m gonna tweak it to use a bag of flour in the future.

My oven broke after four years of moderate use. gently caress whirlpool. A replacement control board for my $500 stove costs $460

So I busted out the old toaster oven which worked great because one pan can bake inside while the next one proofs on top.

The kids ask for toast now and they used to ask for popsicles so I think we’re progressing

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Hell, yeah, the feeling when your kid has a favorite among your bread recipes is awesome

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

null_pointer posted:

Hell, yeah, the feeling when your kid has a favorite among your bread recipes is awesome

Cheese pizza?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Toss up between chocolate babka and Japanese milk bread. Bagel bread is a close runner-up.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
A successful bread day for me! Inspired by the Star bread discussion last week(?)

Lighting in the kitchen is not great so sorry! My bread always takes like 13 hours to make it to final proof for some reason.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Ever since I fed my starter a banana I’ve been wondering whose choice it really was

E: big batch o dough rolled into ~60g balls in the freezer. Gonna see if they thaw/proof/fry nicely. If they’re good I’ll make a few hundred and be like “anybody want donuts?” Like all the time

E2: the thaw+proof actually works great

I had a loaf over proof while I was doing dinner and bath time and folded some dried blueberries into it and it came out better than everything else I made yesterday

Rationale fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 19, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I made bread today. If people have any suggestions on how to make it better id appreciate it as I'm not quite happy with how it came out

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That's a pretty loaf. What would you prefer to look like? More holes? Coarser crumb? Higher rise? If you know what you want, it's easier to help.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's a pretty loaf. What would you prefer to look like? More holes? Coarser crumb? Higher rise? If you know what you want, it's easier to help.

more holes, more even crust, easier kneading

recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2-6Ps2Hcc

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is the bread texture too ... cakey for your preference? That's all I could suspect from the crumbs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tokin opposition posted:

more holes, more even crust, easier kneading

recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2-6Ps2Hcc

If you want easier kneading I (as always) strongly recommend the no-knead method. Excellent results for minimal effort.
I’d also maybe give your bread a slightly ringer proof and a higher temp

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What kind of pot are you using? It looks relatively light weight from the photo. I assume the recipe instructs you to pre heat the pot. In that case if you aren’t using something heavy like cast iron the bottom and sides will probably be pale relative to the exposed top.

My favorite kneading style recently is to leave the dough in its mixing bowl and grab the side and top of a section and stretch it up as much as it will allow. Then fold and push the flap down into the center and try to capture some air in the process. Rotate the bowl and repeat until it resists stretching. Let it rest and repeat until it windowpanes nicely. Usually 3-4 rounds for me with 100% white flour recipes.

It’s slower than other methods because of the rest times but not much is active time. Ideally the dough is sticky enough to cling to the bowl and counter the stretching so you can just use one hand to stretch and one to rotate the bowl. Get your hands a little damp to prevent most of the sticking from working with it.

I’m probably way over complicating this, any combination of stretching and/or resting will work. I just really like not having to clean the counter after kneading dough.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Solarin posted:

What kind of pot are you using? It looks relatively light weight from the photo. I assume the recipe instructs you to pre heat the pot. In that case if you aren’t using something heavy like cast iron the bottom and sides will probably be pale relative to the exposed top.

My favorite kneading style recently is to leave the dough in its mixing bowl and grab the side and top of a section and stretch it up as much as it will allow. Then fold and push the flap down into the center and try to capture some air in the process. Rotate the bowl and repeat until it resists stretching. Let it rest and repeat until it windowpanes nicely. Usually 3-4 rounds for me with 100% white flour recipes.

It’s slower than other methods because of the rest times but not much is active time. Ideally the dough is sticky enough to cling to the bowl and counter the stretching so you can just use one hand to stretch and one to rotate the bowl. Get your hands a little damp to prevent most of the sticking from working with it.

I’m probably way over complicating this, any combination of stretching and/or resting will work. I just really like not having to clean the counter after kneading dough.

stretching and folding is one million percent the way to go with higher-hydration bread doughs. much easier, more consistent, and way cleaner than slapping it on the countertop or whatever french great grandmas still do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Use a dough box like a real grandma’s grandma