Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Math You posted:

If you're spending more than a few nights a year in the backcountry it's absolutely worth your while to get a dehydrator.
Not only is it a lot cheaper but you have full control of the portions, ingredients and I imagine most people can throw together a tastier meal than backpackers pantry.
Learning how to modify recipes, manage drying and understand what works takes a bit of time, as learning any new skill does, but once you get the fundamentals down it feels pretty great to start being creative with it.

Often when I make something like shepherds pie, chilli or pasta I'll just make a second (dehydrator friendly) batch, dry it, portion it and stick it in the freezer. Doing this I've built up a pretty good stache to pull from when I don't have extra time to prep for a trip.

Do you have a good recommendation for a resource (book, website, etc) to start doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Grumpwagon posted:

Do you have a good recommendation for a resource (book, website, etc) to start doing this?

I started out following Kevin Ride (Kevin Outdoors on YouTube), and bought his book (Backcountry Eats).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Assuming you got a system to clean your cook pot after every meal it feels like it's absolutely the way to go. I'll hopefully know for sure this time next year. :v:
Ok now I want to hear about people’s backpacking dishwashing systems.

Math You posted:

Often when I make something like shepherds pie, chilli or pasta I'll just make a second (dehydrator friendly) batch, dry it, portion it and stick it in the freezer.
If it’s dehydrated shouldn’t it be shelf stable? Why are you putting it in the freezer? Doesn’t that potentially add moisture which could result in an unpleasant surprise on the trail?

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 24, 2023

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Oracle posted:

If it’s dehydrated shouldn’t it be shelf stable? Why are you putting it in the freezer? Doesn’t that potentially add moisture which could result in an unpleasant surprise on the trail?

Dishwashing - I generally just make stuff that requires the addition of hot water, rather than actually cooking things. To "clean" my dishes on the trail I add a bit of water (hot if available), swish it around, maybe rub at stubborn spots with my finger, and then drink it.

Dehydrating - You generally don't want to dehydrate something until it's crispy. There's a point before that where you want to stop, and there's definitely still some moisture left in the food at that point. I don't personally freeze things after that, but if you were keeping it for an extended period I could see that being useful for some things. Assuming that it's reasonably well sealed when it goes in the freezer, I wouldn't worry about it causing any harm. A good vacuum sealer and a roll of film is a solid investment if you're trying to keep foods for a long time.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Oracle posted:

The shelf life of any dried product is going to be vary greatly upon three factors.
1. Moisture content. A dehydrator works quite well but it's just not as effective at extracting moisture as a freeze dryer.
2. Fat content. Fat is almost impossible to get completely dry (with a dehydrator )and will go rancid with time. It's one of the major points of consideration when crafting dehydrated meals. Ex, I boil my ground beef and then rinse it in boiling water to remove as much fat as possible. I carry olive oil with me to add a bit of fat back to the meal when rehydrating.
3. Air exposure. Air contains moisture obviously and will compromise dehydrated goods. It's why almost any dried good is shipped with desiccants.

Based upon how thorough you are with managing these factors your shelf life will vary greatly. Prepare a very low fat content meal and vacuum seal it with a desiccant? Probably good for 6months to a year. Throw a prepared pasta sauce that you cooked sausage in into the dehydrator and then put it in a ziplock bag? Probably a couple weeks.

Your comment about humidity is bang on if you were putting it in the fridge but freezing air is really bad at carrying humidity so a deep freeze is the best place you could store these kinds of meals. It also freezes any trace amounts of fat in the meal.

Basically by freezing them I can store meals for months and rest easy for several weeks after removing them. If I wanted to go on an expedition where the meals would need to last longer than that I'd buy a vacuum sealer and desiccants.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Gearskeptic does some pretty deep dives into many things hiking related, in this case food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqgayipoNWA

I prefer to not eat much when hiking (I do get hungry and I normally have something incase of emergencies), as there seem to be a lot of benefits of not eating all the time, feeling a bit hungry, and getting exercise at the same time.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Lärabar has been a go to for us because they actually taste decent and aren’t made of corn. They’re almost all using dates as the core of the bars, but aren’t high in protein, if that’s important. I think the four to six ingredient list is pretty drat neat.

I HATED Larabar at first. The date based taste was so disgusting. But I had bought a large pack as Costco and just kept eating them. Now that disgustingly good taste is synonymous with the outdoors.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can anyone recommend some good insoles? I need pretty decent cushioning and arch support. Didn't used to need either of those things but my feet are getting old and I'm about to do a pretty arduous solo hunting trip, hopefully packing out a deer. I've got older Salomon Quest 4 hiking boots that are fine on support in all other ways but the insoles are completely dead now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can anyone recommend some good insoles? I need pretty decent cushioning and arch support. Didn't used to need either of those things but my feet are getting old and I'm about to do a pretty arduous solo hunting trip, hopefully packing out a deer. I've got older Salomon Quest 4 hiking boots that are fine on support in all other ways but the insoles are completely dead now.

A lot of people will recommend superfeet because they are great, BUT a huge caveat is that most of them have plastic support around the heel cup and insole to keep them rigid. I've known quite a few people who have had issues with them destroying the insides of their, often expensive, boots and prematurely wearing out the waterproof membrane. A buddy of mine will modify them by sanding them down so they're smoother to prevent that from happening. Just looking at their site now, it does seem like their hiking specific models maybe don't use plastic now which should eliminate that problem but I can't really tell from the photos.

If it is becoming a big issues, maybe consider seeing an orthopedist or a really good shoe fitter to get you into some insoles that are designed for your feet. Most high end running stores have people who are trained to look at your stride, they can do measurements/data to see how you step and find solutions specific to your needs vs just going into a drug store and buying some DR scholls.

I don't have any specific foot issues but I use superfeet in my hockey skates, ski boots etc and they are much more comfortable and supportive. I didn't put them into my mountaineering boots though because of their past issues. They are not cheap but if you have benefits at work like a HSA or FSA, you might be able to use these towards that. Mine were all included as part of my healthcare.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm not having huge issues per se, mainly just plantar fasciitis flareups that are taking a little more time to work out. I remember after last year's hunt my feet were pretty beat for a couple days. Day to day foot maintenance is just swapping through a variety of shoes a little more often than I used to and staying active. But yeah, I do plan on talking to my doctor about it next time I'm in for a physical, which I think is soonish? I've realized I need to get on top of little discomforts pretty much immediately and get behavioral changes made as soon as I can or poo poo snowballs.

Will check Superfeet, and good to know about the heel cup. My heel is just a little wide and I had one really bad day last year when I put my footprint insoles in my hiking boots, the heel of which is just narrow enough that it folded up a bit around my heel and I didn't realize it until a few miles in.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Seconding Superfeet, their newer green hike support model is fantastic. My wife also swears by their low profile model meant for flats/fancy lady shoes, and I use their regular green model in all of my work steel-toed boots.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I've used their carbon fiber ones for like a decade, they've done right by me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mederlock posted:

Seconding Superfeet, their newer green hike support model is fantastic. My wife also swears by their low profile model meant for flats/fancy lady shoes, and I use their regular green model in all of my work steel-toed boots.

This one?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I run those in like 3 pairs of boots and my wife's hiking boots

mystes
May 31, 2006

they're so expensive

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Cheaper than custom orthotics!

Off-the-shelf insoles like Superfeet do actually have some studies showing they work for plantar fasciitis so you may as well try a pair. (Insoles claim to solve a lot of problems but rarely do unless professionally adjusted to fix your specific problems, but PF is almost always the same set of problems in the same places and a generic fix often goes a long way.)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

On an impulse I ordered one of these after watching one of Dan Becker’s recent videos.

Dumb purchase? Almost certainly.

Trip report once I get it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-pump-world-s-smallest-pump-for-sleeping-pads/x/35388582#/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Today I learned that powered sleeping pad pumps for backpacking exists.

I think I'll stick with my thermarest pump sack/stuff sack though. Batteries get annoying fast.

I still badly want that thing. It's so small and I adore tiny gadgets. I don't even know when I'd use a pocket air pump.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is that 1.2 ounces including or not including the battery

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????
I can't tell from that page, but 16340 batteries weigh about 0.6 - 0.7oz, so it could be with. Or if it's not, it'll bump the total up to just under 2 oz.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pumpkin Pirate posted:

I can't tell from that page, but 16340 batteries weigh about 0.6 - 0.7oz, so it could be with. Or if it's not, it'll bump the total up to just under 2 oz.

Yeah, from Becker’s (sponsored) video, it looks like the whole thing is 2oz with battery. Also, I think there’s no way to recharge the weird battery they give you without also picking up a charger for it.

I continue to feel better and better about having pulled the trigger on this thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

Yeah, from Becker’s (sponsored) video, it looks like the whole thing is 2oz with battery. Also, I think there’s no way to recharge the weird battery they give you without also picking up a charger for it.

I continue to feel better and better about having pulled the trigger on this thing.

I think it's the same battery in my fenix headlamp, which has a usb-c charging port on it. So just buy the FM50R and you can charge your mattress inflating battery with your headlamp. :v:

Fenix lists their battery as an RCR123, not sure if there's any difference from the RCR123A. But the specs look the same. Fenix also sells a battery with a usb-micro port in it so you can plug a cable right into the battery.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Don’t drink and watch gear videos, kids.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have a Flextail pump and it’s awesome. I love it. Mine came with a cable and charger and all the (now) older style nozzles.

It does pump things up fast. You have to hold it there, but that’s fine by me since it only takes anywhere from 1-2 mins. Deflates fast too. For 2 people and 2 sleeping pads for a few nights, fits the bill just fine. With just the pump and a couple nozzles, it weighs like nothing. No regrets.

The high pitch noise is by far the worst thing about it but it is short lived.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

waffle enthusiast posted:

On an impulse I ordered one of these after watching one of Dan Becker’s recent videos.

Dumb purchase? Almost certainly.

Trip report once I get it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zero-pump-world-s-smallest-pump-for-sleeping-pads/x/35388582#/

I have one of the older ones, with the light on it. Its LOUD but it gets the job done quickly. I actually like it better than the fill sack. And 100% more than blowing it up with my mouth.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

xzzy posted:

Today I learned that powered sleeping pad pumps for backpacking exists.

I think I'll stick with my thermarest pump sack/stuff sack though. Batteries get annoying fast.

I still badly want that thing. It's so small and I adore tiny gadgets. I don't even know when I'd use a pocket air pump.

Depending on which Thermarest you have, they do actually make a battery-powered pump. Not compatible with all pads so make sure you have the right valve or whatever.

I don't own one but I really hate the pump sack. The pad I bought after is an Exped and I like their little non-electronic pump thing that comes with it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The first couple of times I used the pump sack I was ambivalent, but now that I have the hang of it I’d be really sad if I forgot it on a trip. Having another little battery-powered doohickey to remember to charge before heading off isn’t worth it to me personally, but I can still see the appeal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have the Flextailgear mini pump. Its 2.82 oz and 99% of its usage has been inflating rafts for my kids at the lake.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Seconding loving my pump sack. Seems like a no brainier to being it along because it's so light. I'd bring it as a back-up even if I had one of those little pad pumps just in case. I blew up my current sleeping pad once with lung power just to check and I don't want to be doing that after a hike.

I am tempted by the pad pumps that have an integrated tent lamp though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just got an email from REI about a 10% bonus for trading in old gear. Has anyone ever done this? What's their trade-in requirements?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Product eligibility is determined at the discretion of REI and is subject to change and may fluctuate by location. The full range of eligible products that may potentially be accepted is listed in the REI online trade-in catalog.

If your item is not in our online trade-in catalog, it may not be accepted.

All items must be clean, in good working order, and in sellable condition (with the exception of bikes; see below for terms specific to bikes).

Items heavily soiled, stained, damaged and/or requiring repair will not receive trade-in credit (with the exception of bikes; see below for terms specific to bikes).
I guess if you have some stuff you bought but literally never used it would be possible to sell it back

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I bet you could fill a thermarest with weed smoke with one of those little pumps and just take hits off the valve right next to your head all night.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I just got an email from REI about a 10% bonus for trading in old gear. Has anyone ever done this? What's their trade-in requirements?

Earlier this year I traded in an old tent I bought 5 years prior but only used about 3 times. They gave me better than eBay prices on it with no issues. Did the thing online and then turned it into the store for a credit.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We turned in a pretty heavily used backpack for some quantity of dollars with no issues

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023
Finally cooler weather here in the south! Maybe the drat snakes will kick rocks so I can hit a trail this weekend

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ulesi posted:

Maybe the drat snakes will kick rocks

I have unfortunate news

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I saw a huge and beautiful king snake on the trail the other day. It ignored us, and my dog didn't even notice it. Somehow I've only ever encountered venomous snakes in town.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Favorite water bottle slings? I've got a 32oz Takeya. Takeya sells one and I may just get that but I'm not sure I like the strap.

Also looking for a sling bag to hold my bottle plus assorted other small things while out. I've narrowed it down to the Osprey Daylight Shoulder Sling and the Patagonia Atom. Anyone have a favorite between those two?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oddball suggestion: tie a bottle sling knot and roll your own

But also a lot of outdoors-oriented fanny packs have water bottle holders and can be worn crossbody style. I've been happy with the REI Trail fanny for bottle + a few small items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I need a warm fall jacket. The kind that isn’t too hot when it’s like 55-60 but isn’t too cold when it’s like 35 at night. I tried the REI down vest thing but it didn’t fit well.

This isn’t necessarily for backpacking I guess but that would be an awesome bonus.