Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

didn't Ascendance of a Bookworm get kinda weird about using orphan labor?

is "saving a bunch of kids" getting weird about orphan labor now? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

we Stan a historically progressive queen

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does it count as isekai if you write a manga about fixing a fantasy world with economics 101 tricks, but then you go to jail for tax fraud irl?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The circumstances of the story compel the protagonist to set up a book publishing business so that the female orphans aren't left to starve to death or be exploited as consorts, if that's what you're talking about. The nobles who form the priest class won't even let her do direct charity, so she has to come up with a scheme that has official license.

Yeah setting up the story so that the best solution for everyone is for our hero to use child labor is being "kinda weird" about the topic imo

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

genericnick posted:

You sure about that?

i haven’t sampled broadly enough to say the rate is zero but i’m p confident in rejecting the null hypothesis that they’re the same

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Yeah setting up the story so that the best solution for everyone is for our hero to use child labor is being "kinda weird" about the topic imo

it’s literally a feudalistic hell hole where the ruling class would rather let surplus girls die than give them food. the best options are precluded by the class dynamics.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

haha is this still One Piece or have you moved on to another one

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Gripweed posted:

lol okay. was gonna write a serious take on the other post first but thanks for this

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Truga posted:

"The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent" but i haven't seen the first season of that one yet

I have and it's actually... well I wouldn't say it's revolutionary or has some particularly trenchant insight on life or society but it's very "comfy" for a lack of better words. A very chill anime to relax to.

Also kind of funny how isekai for girls is like "a young lady with a nice personality who makes very good healing potions and a bunch of kind and good looking dudes appreciate and treat her nice because of that." while isekai for dudes is like "rapey incel gets reincarnated, obtains untold power, decides to use it to get a sex slave harem and commit racial genocide"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mad spoilers, i've read a bunch of books and after the anime bookworm keeps getting pulled deeper and deeper into noble bullshit while getting less and less freedom to just read some books lmao

it's an isekai tragedy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

haha is this still One Piece or have you moved on to another one

the latest arc of the one piece anime is also about feeding kids, funnily enough.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Truga posted:

mad spoilers, i've read a bunch of books and after the anime bookworm keeps getting pulled deeper and deeper into noble bullshit while getting less and less freedom to just read some books lmao

it's an isekai tragedy
yeah i found parts 3 and 4 fairly lacking in what made part 2 fun. like there’s some goofy hijinks and lighthearted stuff but the story is only just now starting back up again halfway thru part 5 and the stakes are rather different now

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

genericnick posted:

Does it count as isekai if you write a manga about fixing a fantasy world with economics 101 tricks, but then you go to jail for tax fraud irl?

the dragon, the hero and the courier isn't an isekei so the answer is no

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

this allusion meant posted:

nah i think the whole popularity in all its forms is based precisely on how well it’s threaded the balance of having and eating the cake

three cakes, even

There aren’t too many shows, and especially isekai at that, where the protagonist suffering from erectile dysfunction for years is an actual plot point

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we Stan a historically progressive queen

yep, weak kneed goons would let em starve!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

There aren’t too many shows, and especially isekai at that, where the protagonist suffering from erectile dysfunction for years is an actual plot point

there's a reason for that

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The first episode of some show where a girl is working at a lovely animation studio and wants to make otome games but it's 2023 and they don't sell and she somehow gets isekaid to 1992. That's all that's happened so far but does that count?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/54041/16bit_Sensation__Another_Layer

There is no good isekai

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

All of these animes sound really bad, don't sound at all like ones where someone shoots someone and it goes ka-BLASH or a sword totally cuts someone in half imo

More akira and shigirui imo (tho the latter is very weird too)

In trying to remember how to spell shigirui I discovered shigeru mizuki who fought in ww2 and wrote about it, gonna check out his manga Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths if I can find it

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Communist Thoughts posted:

All of these animes sound really bad, don't sound at all like ones where someone shoots someone and it goes ka-BLASH or a sword totally cuts someone in half imo

In trying to remember how to spell shigirui I discovered shigeru mizuki who fought in ww2 and wrote about it, gonna check out his manga Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths if I can find it

The ending for that really hosed me up for a bit :yeah:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Nobody but me rememebrs Escaflowne, where a girl goes to the secret second Moon where the Atlanteans hosed of.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shigurui?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

playing cyberpunk 2077 got me to rewatch akira for the first time since i first saw it as a child around the age of 6/7 and its pretty good. The only thing i remembered going into it was Kaneda and his red bike.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Well, poo poo, didn't do a good enough job googling

Popy posted:

playing cyberpunk 2077 got me to rewatch akira for the first time since i first saw it as a child around the age of 6/7 and its pretty good. The only thing i remembered going into it was Kaneda and his red bike.

The movie is good but the manga is superb and one of the greatest of all time imo. It adds a lot and a whole nother act or two where America invades and is fought by megatokyo rebels it rules from what I recall, plus some of the best art ever

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Oct 5, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Popy posted:

Read the manga.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

genericnick posted:

I'm waiting for the show framed as an isekai but its just some dude going to jail

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

community is an isekai

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

spice and wolf was a good Econ 101 anime

goblin slayer is getting a season 2 huh

besides the goblin rape what’s up with that show

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
moving to a new apartment is isekai

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

anime is in a slump right now and many won't admit it

it's ok there will be a new golden age in 5 years or so

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
simply watch the good poo poo not the slop

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
watched steamboy recently, it was very pretty with a dogshit plot. would recommend

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what’s incredible about One Piece is actually how little weird anime stuff is in it, despite Oda’s aesthetic tastes. it’s one of those mangas that people who don’t like anime end up being really into.

This hasn't really been my experience. My friend and his girlfriend are pretty typical "western nerds who aren't particularly into or familiar with Japanese stuff," and the only shounen anime they care for is MHA (and I don't know of a single person who is "anime-averse" and reads any manga at all).

My other friend who likes nerdier stuff is fundamentally turned off by any sort of "bombastic" (for lack of a better adjective) tone in anime (or Japanese stuff in general), which basically includes literally all shounen.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

do the dudes in cooking dungeon manga eat like goblins and orcs

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bitmap posted:

do the dudes in cooking dungeon manga eat like goblins and orcs

Iirc they don't ever eat demihumans

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are an awful lot of isekai stories where people do, though. it's always pretty hosed up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

moving to a new apartment is isekai

Moved To A New Land After My Landlord Raised My Rent By 1K Because Of Gentrification?!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well, poo poo, didn't do a good enough job googling

The movie is good but the manga is superb and one of the greatest of all time imo. It adds a lot and a whole nother act or two where America invades and is fought by megatokyo rebels it rules from what I recall, plus some of the best art ever

I think you’re confused about the events of the manga. a UN peacekeeping force shows up at the very end and all the surviving cast tell them to gently caress off.

it’s been over a decade since I’ve read it so maybe I’m confused.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there were outsider soldiers who came in during the post-disaster act. i think they just served as viewpoint characters, briefly. then it went back to kaneda and tetsuo.

i should re-read akira.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They started producing the Akira movie before the manga was even completed, so it's incredible that they were able to take so many elements from an unfinished work and condense it down into a coherent narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

the first time I read the manga I was shocked how much more story there was to it. the film, incredible as it is, really does just wrap up with a "oh I guess "akira" was just like some frozen organs in a jar, the end" but in the manga you've get tetsuo ruling tokyo from a ruined skyscraper with the eponymous child psionic sorcerer.