Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I just found out that my Chief for the last year or so, probably the best Chief I've ever known, who I learned a ton from, has terminal cancer. He's younger than me by like 3 years. loving sucks, he was going to make Master Chief no question. A super solid dude. Was one of the least Joe Navy people you'd ever meet, and while Philipino, was vehemently anti-Mafia.

I’m sorry to hear that, man.

Jesus that’s awful.

If you get a chance, make sure to let him, and the ones who are going to miss him the most know just how great a man he is/was. It will mean the world to everyone even if it might seem awkward up front. Just trust me man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I just found out that my Chief for the last year or so, probably the best Chief I've ever known, who I learned a ton from, has terminal cancer. He's younger than me by like 3 years. loving sucks, he was going to make Master Chief no question. A super solid dude. Was one of the least Joe Navy people you'd ever meet, and while Philipino, was vehemently anti-Mafia.

I agree with everyone else that it sucks and this is poo poo to hear. Also tell him what impact he had on you. And tell his family if you get the chance. That poo poo means a lot.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos
Just got an email saying the effective date of my promotion will be 16 December... Retired April 20th.... thanks Navy.

So when people ask what I was, should I claim the new rank, which to be fair I did have for a period already prior to my NJP, or the rank on my retired ID?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Arione posted:

Just got an email saying the effective date of my promotion will be 16 December... Retired April 20th.... thanks Navy.

So when people ask what I was, should I claim the new rank, which to be fair I did have for a period already prior to my NJP, or the rank on my retired ID?

Get your DD214 and retirement card updated. No reason not to?

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Get your DD214 and retirement card updated. No reason not to?

Yeah, should update the 214, but if I keep the E5 ID card until 2058 or w/e I'll get 30 years of cheaper golf....

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Make Fish Names Great Again!

SSN-804 will be named "Barb"

Actually it seems like they are naming the new boats after whatever the gently caress.

Fish, people, cities. Just whatever.

quote:

"USS San Francisco, SSN 810 once commissioned will be our nation's newest Virginia class nuclear-powered fast attack submarine," said Carlos Del Toro, Secretary of the Navy.

There was already a 688 with that name, but okay.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/new-sub-to-be-named-for-san-francisco

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Actually it seems like they are naming the new boats after whatever the gently caress.

Fish, people, cities. Just whatever.

Have you read "Thunder Below!" ? :colbert:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Maybe that city in particular because of its history with submarines, and because the crew of the last one managed to barely save their ship through a pretty heroic effort?

E: there's kinda STILL an '88 with that name, since it got turned into an MTS.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Also it's about the anniversary of my family not knowing if I was injured in the 22's collision, because the Navy decided that only wives actively involved in the FRG counted as family, and going through the Ombudsman sheets was too much work, so everyone else just found out from the news with no additional context.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Maybe that city in particular because of its history with submarines, and because the crew of the last one managed to barely save their ship through a pretty heroic effort?

E: there's kinda STILL an '88 with that name, since it got turned into an MTS.

Didn’t mean to disparage the name.

I was hoping they were going back exclusively to fish names, after they announced Barb.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Also it's about the anniversary of my family not knowing if I was injured in the 22's collision, because the Navy decided that only wives actively involved in the FRG counted as family, and going through the Ombudsman sheets was too much work, so everyone else just found out from the news with no additional context.

My uncle was on the Cole and I found out from getting yanked out of school and CNN and then radio silence for 3 days.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrMojok posted:

Didn’t mean to disparage the name.

I was hoping they were going back exclusively to fish names, after they announced Barb.

The SECNAV has more or less free reign to name ships whatever he wants, so it's a) somewhat impressive we manage to ever maintain a theme across multiple SECNAVs, and b) rarely get ship names that are egregiously political.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cerekk posted:

The SECNAV has more or less free reign to name ships whatever he wants, so it's a) somewhat impressive we manage to ever maintain a theme across multiple SECNAVs, and b) rarely get ship names that are egregiously political.

They named carriers after a bunch of politics clowns. Nimitz should have been the end all of that poo poo. Forrestal and Kennedy were mistakes too but at least Kennedy was a president.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

They named carriers after a bunch of politics clowns. Nimitz should have been the end all of that poo poo. Forrestal and Kennedy were mistakes too but at least Kennedy was a president.
Kennedy was a president, a navy war hero, and he'd recently been assassinated, so it's reasonable. I guess the worst offenders as far as presidents go are Eisenhower and Reagan. Lincoln and Washington are going to get a pass because they're, you know, Lincoln and Washington.

Then there's the Gerald R. Ford.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'll take old Gerry over "a zealous supporter of racial segregation" like Stennis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A.o.D. posted:

Ford was Navy during WW2 and served on a carrier.

And yeah, Stennis was the truly baffling choice.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 5, 2023

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crab Dad posted:

Washington and Lincon, I can kinda get considering how important they are to American History.

Kennedy, Ford, G.H.W. Bush all served an active component in WW2 on carriers, so I can at least understand why they got important ships named after them.

Eisenhower was the supreme allied commander in WW2, while in not Navy I can understand why he got a pass and got an important warship named after him.

Teddy Roosevelt was Army, but served as an undersecretary for the Navy and definitely promoted the cause of the Navy. Definitely in the Forrestal camp though of, eh maybe not necessarily full carrier worthy (also, too there's already a destroyer named for all the Roosevelts already, so he basically gets a free double dip).

Truman...Yeah, no clue. (especially since it was supposed to be named the U.S.S United States).

Vinson and Stennis prove that you can be a massive segregationist piece of poo poo, but as long as you bring home the bacon for the Navy we'll honor you with a massive warship (instead of a garbage scow like they deserved). For Reagan, it shows if you waste money reactivating old World War 2 ships and if you make boomers happy and nostalgic we'll name all kinds of stuff for ya.

Cerekk posted:

For destroyers I just want us to settle on what naming scheme we want to use for people. Are we going for full names, full first and last with a middle initial, full first and last, or just the last name?

We just launched the Jack H. Lucus, but the latest ship to commission was the Lenah Sutcliff Higbee. But the last ship to carry her name was just the plane ole USS Higbee. With John Paul Jones, used to just use Paul Jones until after WW2 then switched to using his full name.

I just want to know which version of names we use!!!!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At least Dorie Miller gets a carrier.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
TR was a big, BIG reason why the Navy became a world class force. The voyage of the Great White Fleet was done by his command. You can draw a straight line from his turn as SecNAV to everything that happened since. He completely turned the service around.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

Kennedy was a president, a navy war hero, and he'd recently been assassinated, so it's reasonable. I guess the worst offenders as far as presidents go are Eisenhower and Reagan. Lincoln and Washington are going to get a pass because they're, you know, Lincoln and Washington.

In light of his farewell address the only thing funnier than naming a carrier after Eisenhower would've been naming one of the LCS classes after him

it is tremendous content

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
best named ship in the fleet is the jimmy carter

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

shame on an IGA posted:

In light of his farewell address the only thing funnier

Name one after LBJ's dick. The Jumbo. It can be a clittoral attack craft. Full of seamen...

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Bring back giant fuckoff battleships so we can name one after Alfred Thayer Mahan.

Also isn't the reason they stopped naming submarines after states because they ran out of states? They even reused Arizona.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 5, 2023

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Cerekk posted:

Bring back giant fuckoff battleships so we can name one after Alfred Thayer Mahan.

Also isn't the reason they stopped naming submarines after states because they ran out of states? They even reused Arizona.

We'd have to wait for the current one to retire. Also it should have a ship cat named Meowhan.

And yeah I think its a combo of running out of states and going back to the old heritage since the changeover happened when Rickover was around.

I do wish we'd get another Kamehameha

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jimmy4400nav posted:

We just launched the Jack H. Lucus, but the latest ship to commission was the Lenah Sutcliff Higbee. But the last ship to carry her name was just the plane ole USS Higbee. With John Paul Jones, used to just use Paul Jones until after WW2 then switched to using his full name.

I just want to know which version of names we use!!!!

Named a warship after a filthy pirate, SMDH.

Also, don't forget the USS The Sullivans for naming conventions (although that's a cool and good name)

ded posted:

best named ship in the fleet is the jimmy carter

Agreed.

Though the naming/numbering convention for the Seawolf class is bizarre, you've got a fishy, a State, and a Preaident.

Then you have hull number 21, for the "Class of the 21st Century" then what are 22 and 23?

Also the Seawolf's a fat, powerful, gussied up '88, the 774 class is like a spaceship in comparison to both, if anything that should be the class of the 21st century.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Washington and Lincon, I can kinda get considering how important they are to American History.

Kennedy, Ford, G.H.W. Bush all served an active component in WW2 on carriers, so I can at least understand why they got important ships named after them.

Eisenhower was the supreme allied commander in WW2, while in not Navy I can understand why he got a pass and got an important warship named after him.

Teddy Roosevelt was Army, but served as an undersecretary for the Navy and definitely promoted the cause of the Navy. Definitely in the Forrestal camp though of, eh maybe not necessarily full carrier worthy (also, too there's already a destroyer named for all the Roosevelts already, so he basically gets a free double dip).

USS ROOSEVELT the destroyer is only named after Elenore and FDR, not any of the other Roosevelts.

However, trying to explain to people that the Theodore Roosevelt and the Roosevelt are complete different ships, and that no, the TR's shorthand is NOT Roosevelt, it's Teddy Roosevelt or TR is a nightmare.

Right now the trend for destroyers is to use the person's full name, though almost all of the FLT 1s through FLT 2s were just last name. Roosevelt again, being an exception, but it is named after two people.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Wibla posted:

Have you read "Thunder Below!" ? :colbert:

Many times. Reading about WWII submarines and some of their commanders is a favorite pastime of mine.

I didn’t word my earlier post very well, and for that I apologize.

What I meant to get across is that I thought maybe they were going back to fish names when they announced SSN-804.

It doesn’t really matter what they name them, I know that. My post came across as more flippant than I meant it to.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The Valley Stared posted:

USS ROOSEVELT the destroyer is only named after Elenore and FDR, not any of the other Roosevelts.

However, trying to explain to people that the Theodore Roosevelt and the Roosevelt are complete different ships, and that no, the TR's shorthand is NOT Roosevelt, it's Teddy Roosevelt or TR is a nightmare.

Right now the trend for destroyers is to use the person's full name, though almost all of the FLT 1s through FLT 2s were just last name. Roosevelt again, being an exception, but it is named after two people.

USS Henry M Jackson has @jackson.navy.mil, which I'm sure never causes any issues onboard USS Jackson

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Excited to go back to city names for the Columbia class, the lead ship of which is to be named, of course, USS District of Columbia, because naming the ship simply USS Columbia would be highly sacrilegious, implying that the ship is the physical manifestation of Christopher Columbus.

E:

SquirrelyPSU posted:

My uncle was on the Cole and I found out from getting yanked out of school and CNN and then radio silence for 3 days.

If you're not going to tell my family whether I'm alive or dead, can I at least skip filling out 9000 Ombudsman forms prior to deployment? That poo poo hosed me super hard when I was trying to report onboard in the 6 days between when they rtp'd and deployed, while trying to also finish work on my house.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 5, 2023

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

Interesting! Didn't realize that about the Roosevelts vs the TR, I always thought it was for the whole family.

Elviscat posted:

Excited to go back to city names for the Columbia class, the lead ship of which is to be named, of course, USS District of Columbia, because naming the ship simply USS Columbia would be highly sacrilegious, implying that the ship is the physical manifestation of Christopher Columbus.

Considering if a Boomer ever has to actually do its primary job, untold numbers of lives will be lost in a calamity of blood and horror, the Christopher Columbus name would be a pretty accurate description.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Steezo posted:

Name one after LBJ's dick.

France already has a Le Téméraire

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The original plan was to name SSBN-826 USS Columbia, except that was contingent on the current USS Columbia SSN-771 being decommissioned by then, which is no longer the plan. Hence, USS District of Columbia.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I think my favorite fun naming example is that they had to name the submarine USS City of Corpus Christi and not just USS Corpus Christi.

Apparently having a nuclear attack submarine named the body of Christ would upset some people. Whatever. Snowflakes

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Now exclusively referred to as "The City Of"

Also the basis for my obtuse Christopher Columbus joke.

Cerekk posted:

The original plan was to name SSBN-826 USS Columbia, except that was contingent on the current USS Columbia SSN-771 being decommissioned by then, which is no longer the plan. Hence, USS District of Columbia.

Which loving anyone could have told you a Mod 25 boat built in the mid 90s isn't going to be decommed before SSBN-826 is commissioned.

E: also lol at "which Columbia should we name it after?" "I dunno, all three?"

At least San Juan is finally getting scrapped, that boat is legit cursed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Mod 25 best Mod, they rip

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Cerekk posted:

The Gabrielle Giffords would like a word.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Steezo posted:

Name one after LBJ's dick. The Jumbo. It can be a clittoral attack craft. Full of seamen...

The USS LBJ is a zumwalt, so it not only looks like a dick, everyone on it gets hosed.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The LBJ needs to be an amphib.

https://silodrome.com/amphicar-history/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LBJ should be a sub, because they're shaped like a giant dicks.

Long Boner Johnson would be proud to have a massive phallus penetrating hostile waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Elviscat posted:

LBJ should be a sub, because they're shaped like a giant dicks.

Long Boner Johnson would be proud to have a massive phallus penetrating hostile waters.

well, at least zumwalts are tumblehome and penetrate well