Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

skasion posted:

Idk about 10k Ireland or anything. But once you start exploiting admin dev you’ll never go back

I would like to know more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Admin dev almost always makes less money than diplo dev, even with lower value goods. The gap also grows wider throughout the game. The manpower from mil dev is also usually more valuable than the base tax. Since dev cost scales with dev, and superlinearly, you can get more diplo/mil dev in a province at a reasonable mp cost by exploiting the adm dev. This also gives you money, of course. So it's good in both the short term (cash upfront) and in the long term (more efficient devving), especially if you have high dev discounts. Obviously this only applies if you do end up developing the province, of course.

Also saves admin if you exploit before full coring, but then you do lose out on money because of the autonomy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you're using admin to dev you're not conquering hard enough

Unless it's, like, past 1600 but who plays past that

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I don't get the pride with which people declare they don't play the "find out" part of the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rynoto posted:

If you're using admin to dev you're not conquering hard enough

You don’t. In fact you get rid of the admin dev you already have and turn it into money

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

I don't get the pride with which people declare they don't play the "find out" part of the game.

Well I can explain

that part is extremely long, and boring

I only got to it to the end date once bc I was going for the Poland into space achievement.

I didn't really find out anything. I mostly speed fived for a few centuries, got elected Emperor without trying, and speed fived my vassal horde on the Ottomans bc why not.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Guess I'm blessed with poor gaming skills cause ages of absolutism and revolution are where my empire is put to a test and even though I play since release sometimes I don't pass this test.

It was kinda like what you describe some years ago, but since then AI learned to play the game a little, so unless you start as a major power you're likely to see some big dangerous country in a part of the world you haven't interacted with, and sometimes they're smart enough to surround you with enemies.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I feel like the game has gotten better at giving you a regional and world end boss to take on, but also you only ever get one satisfying war against them, because win that and they're not a challenge any more

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
I modded the game to disable manual development and tuned up "ai_will_do" factors for that very reason. the base game is bad, its more fun when you arent the defacto hegemon 50 years in

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Half-wit posted:

I would like to know more.

Basically the 'optimal' dev for any given province is 1-9-11. There's lots of exceptions but that's a general rule MP players live by.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sounds like Paradox should just fix the game.

Yes I know Paradox isn't in the business of fixing things.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've wondered why they didn't give the other games custodian teams too...

atvrager
Jun 15, 2007
fear

Kild posted:

Basically the 'optimal' dev for any given province is 1-9-11. There's lots of exceptions but that's a general rule MP players live by.

Any idea why it's 21 dev? Building slot is at 20, so what do you get?

Also, another thing that's great about burning your admin tax dev is that it helps quite a bit with keeping under your gov cap!

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

atvrager posted:

Also, another thing that's great about burning your admin tax dev is that it helps quite a bit with keeping under your gov cap!

It gets you one more mil dev. That's it, but mil is the most important type of dev.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

atvrager posted:

I think for emergency manpower exploit but I'm not exactly sure other than mil dev being good

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it's 100% just "you'd run 1-1-19 if the game let you" tbh.

So you set it up to get the building at 20+as much as humanly possible in mil dev.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

it's 100% just "you'd run 1-1-19 if the game let you" tbh.

So you set it up to get the building at 20+as much as humanly possible in mil dev.

Yeah it's just to maximize mil per province before hitting the 20+ dev cost increase after asking around.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
For those following Anbennar, I've heard rumblings, though no official announcement that I can find, that the Steam version will be updated to 1.35 and release the Sarhal continent update on November 20th. Having played the Bitbucket, there doesn't seem to be much actual content in Sarhal yet, but there will be a lot of other new mission trees to try out particularly for Dwarves and colonial nations, and possibly the long-awaited continent-wide disaster for Haless.

I am planning to start my next Anbennar LP after the release, so if you are interested in that please check out this post for the vote on which nation I'll be playing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
South Sarhal is definitely quite bare right now but the new(ish) options added that let you easily turn off any regions you want at the beginning of a run make it a non-issue, imo. The serpentspine in general is in a weird place right now though since the overhauls with the orcs being particularly dominant in the north both from Shattered Crown and the Escann dookans. See a lot of runs where the goblins are wiped out entirely from the mountains and dwarves only control the southwest and far east.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The Rending is already in the Bitbucket version. Haven't rached it yet, but I'm in 1580s in my Ajkazuma/Chomora game, and it can happen from 1600 onwards, so shouldn't be long.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Why is Haless the site for the worst disasters in the mod? Does someone hate it that much?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Not sure what other disasters you mean (I would have thought the Serpentspine was disaster central), but the Rending's been a thing in the lore for some time, hasn't it? I'm pretty sure I ran into it in the wiki before I heard about it being put into the game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Haless is the newest full region which means it is A) made after Anbennar decided more disasters is more good and B) developed enough to flesh out those disasters.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Haless being a powerhouse region filled with rich provinces and countries that can blob easily makes sense to have a disaster :shrug:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Why is Haless the site for the worst disasters in the mod? Does someone hate it that much?

someone doesn't play serpentspine

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The bitbucket Rending was or might still be way worse than it should be due to coding oversights. It just wouldn't end and had events happening well outside of Haless.

Hellioning posted:

Haless is the newest full region which means it is A) made after Anbennar decided more disasters is more good and B) developed enough to flesh out those disasters.
The Rending isn't as bad as the Hoardcurse/Serpentrot/one extra bespoke nation specific disaster combo for dwarves.

The command specific and Daxugo specific disasters are both those special sort of disasters that are probably impossible without cheesing.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Sybot posted:

For those following Anbennar, I've heard rumblings, though no official announcement that I can find, that the Steam version will be updated to 1.35 and release the Sarhal continent update on November 20th. Having played the Bitbucket, there doesn't seem to be much actual content in Sarhal yet, but there will be a lot of other new mission trees to try out particularly for Dwarves and colonial nations, and possibly the long-awaited continent-wide disaster for Haless.

I hope there's at least a week before EU4 1.36 so that you don't have to chose between bugfixes/improvements and Anbennar.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Aelnar is still has the most awful disaster in the mod. Love to have an event with no cooldown and an MTTH of like 2 months that spawns a rebel stack in a random province. In my new world nation spread across three continents. For a good 10-15 years.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think the Rianvisa is supposed to be a virtually unwinnable-without-exploits clusterfuck, isn’t it? The whole storyline of Venail forming Aelnar is that they have to move mountains and devastate their own land and society just to get there and devastate the lands and societies of others instead. They sacrifice everything to set themselves on this path of hyper-militarized war-against-everyone manifest destiny, and this desperation exposes all the fault lines in their society and ultimately tears it apart. I’ve always assumed the idea behind the disaster is to just destroy Aelnar if it’s AI controlled, while giving a player the chance to scum through it to put their megalomaniac dictator of choice on the throne and play out the consequences of their hosed ideology.

Speaking of, have they implemented all the megalomaniac dictators in the 1.35 version of the mod? Last I played I don’t think you could get the communist or the military traditionalist.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I haven't ran into Rianvisa because it's pretty easy to avoid, but also I kind of lost interest in Venail after the Venail part was done.

But as for Haless, Blood Lotus Rebellion is also very annoying. Had to restart at least once because of it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

skasion posted:

I think the Rianvisa is supposed to be a virtually unwinnable-without-exploits clusterfuck, isn’t it? The whole storyline of Venail forming Aelnar is that they have to move mountains and devastate their own land and society just to get there and devastate the lands and societies of others instead. They sacrifice everything to set themselves on this path of hyper-militarized war-against-everyone manifest destiny, and this desperation exposes all the fault lines in their society and ultimately tears it apart. I’ve always assumed the idea behind the disaster is to just destroy Aelnar if it’s AI controlled, while giving a player the chance to scum through it to put their megalomaniac dictator of choice on the throne and play out the consequences of their hosed ideology.

Speaking of, have they implemented all the megalomaniac dictators in the 1.35 version of the mod? Last I played I don’t think you could get the communist or the military traditionalist.

If you know the Rianvisa and the mechanics it's quite easy to win quickly as Calasandur. It's a bit trickier with everyone else and the only time you'll really have to wait is if you want to run Lithiel who takes a while to first appear and then revolt. Winning with any of the breakaways is a bit rng of if you'll win the capital base race but still will generally win with the large army it gives you.

The biggest Rianvisa downside is the huge -AE% you get for like 50 years. Only the Communist leader is still needed.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

What's even the point of playing Aelnar if you're not gonna go the evil Elsa route though

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

What's even the point of playing Aelnar if you're not gonna go the evil Elsa route though

Evil Elsa is just insane and her story doesn't really go anywhere besides a Never Again narrative. Feel more bad for her than anything else.

The True Evil of Aelnar is definitely Dahvar.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
The new Gur Burad mission tree has a bespoke disaster You delve too greedily and set off a volcano in your hold thats inconvenient if going in blind but definitely not crippling, and I think probably instantly fixable if you know what you need to do going in. Still playing my way through the run but so far its seems remarkably bug free for the number of new mechanics it adds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My siege of the enemy capital: -1 to rolls, +17% defense
Enemy siege of my capital: -5 to rolls, +2% defense
I started many months earlier and no one rolled breached walls

Do I even need to say who easily won that race? :suicide:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Poil posted:

My siege of the enemy capital: -1 to rolls, +17% defense
Enemy siege of my capital: -5 to rolls, +2% defense
I started many months earlier and no one rolled breached walls

Do I even need to say who easily won that race? :suicide:

Fort defense edict bro

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any trick to getting threaten war to work? I literally just want the achievement but no one ever seems to accept.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any trick to getting threaten war to work? I literally just want the achievement but no one ever seems to accept.

be ridiculously huge and tough, have a core on a lovely province owned by a country with a pathetic military and no allies but with at least 4 or 5 provinces

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ilitarist posted:

Guess I'm blessed with poor gaming skills cause ages of absolutism and revolution are where my empire is put to a test and even though I play since release sometimes I don't pass this test.

It was kinda like what you describe some years ago, but since then AI learned to play the game a little, so unless you start as a major power you're likely to see some big dangerous country in a part of the world you haven't interacted with, and sometimes they're smart enough to surround you with enemies.

I've been playing Paradox games since EU1 in like 2000, and I know part of the reason I still enjoy them is because I'm a 'speed 5 at all times', 'much too lazy to optimize', 'narrative roleplay lite' kinda player, and the games remain challenging enough to be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Fort defense edict bro