Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

repiv posted:

quick finish all the free games you've claimed before epic runs out of money :supaburn:

Sweeney needs to buy more land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Can't believe I have been conned into paying by giving out my email address hundreds and hundreds of times only to be rugpulled by Tim Sweeny.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Oh no, it’s over? Hopefully not before the Christmas giveaways.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
nah this is just plebs getting laid off the vanity storefront will continue until morale improves

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New GOG freebie: Trüberbrook.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

finally, a game i'll actually play

*downloads game and turns around and plays with actual physical models she paid for instead*

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I tried it out and was kinda disappointed that the painting in the tutorial just uses a magic paint bucket tool on the already-assembled model instead of needing to go through and mask out the separate parts you want to be different colors.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Moonring, a spiritual successor to older rpgs like some of the Ultima series is free on Steam. Developed by the co-creator of the Fable series:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2373630/Moonring/

quote:

Moonring is a retro-inspired open-world, turn-based, tile RPG in the style of the classic Ultima games, but created from the ground up with modern design sensibilities.

The world's geography is hand-designed, but the deadly dungeons beneath the surface reconfigure each time you leave... or die.

Travel, trade, sneak, fight and sail the world of Caldera. Speak with the townsfolk, learn Caldera's secrets, and challenge the Archon for his throne... or even overthrow the Gods themselves!

Splattercat did a 35 minute look at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krs1Kr38og4

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Wanna come in and say that Moon Ring is pretty dope. I'm a couple hours in and really enjoying it for the price of free.

Hell, I probably would have paid like $8 for it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rexxed posted:

Youtubers stop calling me a guy challenge. Level: 1000, evidently.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rexxed posted:

Moonring, a spiritual successor to older rpgs like some of the Ultima series is free on Steam. Developed by the co-creator of the Fable series:

This is cool as gently caress and entirely my jam. So happy I read this thread and saw your post.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone want a key for Lawn Mowing Simulator?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

EGS freebie is Godlike Burger this week.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone want a key for Lawn Mowing Simulator?

sure, I'll take it
tia

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rexxed posted:

quote:

The default recommendation to give to someone for when they want to get into traditional roguelikes.

Currently no other modern traditional roguelike fits this niche. DCSS, ADoM, ToME, Qud, Cogmind, Elona ... none of them really provide a great entry point, they are all for people who already have some form of experience in the genre some way or another.

Swell!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Rexxed posted:

I've played for two hours and I'm enjoying it, thanks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I haven’t read all 260+ pages of the thread, are there other gems of moonring quality to be had?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pmchem posted:

I haven’t read all 260+ pages of the thread, are there other gems of moonring quality to be had?

Battle for Wesnoth.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

Battle for Wesnoth.

Agree on this one. Good mobile game, too, as it's turn-based.

Wargroove 2 came out yesterday. I had no idea it was even in the works.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I never got it to work properly on mobile. Control scheme feels way off. You're supposed to be precise with taps so default control scheme makes you control the mouse with a virtual joystick which is very uncomfortable. You can switch to a direct control with a touch screen but then it's hard to do right mouse button clicks and double clicks and map scroll, and sometimes you need on-screen keyboard.

But on PC it's a great, huge game that you won't believe is free.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ghostwire Tokyo is on Amazon Prime games/EGS today.
https://gaming.amazon.com/home

I heard a lot about this before it came out, then not much after.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
apparently visually it's real pretty but mechanically it's 100% a clone of far cry.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The enemies are massive bullet sponges, and the open world stuff is just tedious. Its one of the rare games I got a steam refund for.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

I never got it to work properly on mobile. Control scheme feels way off. You're supposed to be precise with taps so default control scheme makes you control the mouse with a virtual joystick which is very uncomfortable. You can switch to a direct control with a touch screen but then it's hard to do right mouse button clicks and double clicks and map scroll, and sometimes you need on-screen keyboard.

But on PC it's a great, huge game that you won't believe is free.

I just went to double-check and make sure that we were talking about the same game. I did not have that problem at all, and I'm sorry that you did. Turn-based tactics are one of the few genres, in my opinion, that work well on mobile - most types of games are rubbish. I bought Liberty City Stories last year for my iPad Air 5. A very good port technically of a good game, but the controls were just impossible.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

apparently visually it's real pretty but mechanically it's 100% a clone of far cry.

loving trigens!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I always stopped playing when I got to those. Same with the matrix aliens in Crysis. It just wasn't fun to fight them vs the actual people in the beginning of the game.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Ghostwire Tokyo is free on Epic through Amazon Prime Gaming.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

JustJeff88 posted:

Is Battle for Wesnoth on Android? I couldn't find it on the Play store or via Google.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

snail posted:

Is Battle for Wesnoth on Android? I couldn't find it on the Play store or via Google.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.alessandropira.wesnoth114

The iOS version is supposedly much better than Android, it's a proper port on iOS while Android is just the PC application with virtual joystick slapped on top of it. This might be why JustJeff88 had a better experience with it than me. But I don't know, I never saw it on iOS. I myself play games on Steam Deck nowadays and there Wesnoth works just fine.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

snail posted:

I haven't played it in years but it used to use those default sdl mouse emulation mode, which is very annoying to use.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

snail posted:

I tried to install but it was built for an older OS.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

CaptainBeefart posted:

I tried to install but it was built for an older OS.

I can get to it from the direct link, it's not showing up in search presumably because I can't install it for that reason.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
oh is it 32-bit maybe

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

The iOS version is supposedly much better than Android, it's a proper port on iOS while Android is just the PC application with virtual joystick slapped on top of it. This might be why JustJeff88 had a better experience with it than me.

This explains a lot. I have a crappy Android phone and an Odin, and I never tried that version because the iOS one works so well. The only games that I play on my tablet are turn-based tactics games and RPGs from Spiderweb Software.

Incidentally, I wish that I had never bought an Odin. It's a very good machine, but it's just not powerful enough to handle the 6th and 7th generation games that I want to play on the go. I really wish that I had bought a Steam Deck instead.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

pmchem posted:

Franken!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

I really wish that I had bought a Steam Deck instead.

Steam Deck is really great. I've also played Spiderweb games with it and it works flawlessly, though it required some tinkering with the control scheme - bind Tab to left bumper, enter combat to Y, inventory to X and so on. It's a little bit inconvenient to plug in all the free games we're getting from Epic and Gog and Amazon, you need to restart SD to behave like a Linux PC and install proxy applications which is not that hard but certainly inconvenient. And Linux emulation doesn't always work flawlessly, but you still have thousands of games that work just fine - I've played Cyberpunk 2077 on it to stress out the performance and also a lot of Europa Universalis 4 to stress out the control scheme.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
It’s pretty cool to see people doing screen mods on the steam deck. Would love to see an oled solution down the line. Or VRR for that matter.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

OLED is not a straight up upgrade people often think it is, there's a percentage of people who get eyestrain and migrain from using it, and it also has issues with low brightness, and the max brightness is not so great, so it'd better remain an option, not a standard. VRR though would rock on SD. I play most games with 40Hz/40FPS and it looks almost as good as 60FPS to me, but obviously it's not enough for a lot of people and VRR would be a much better solution for everyone. SteamOS supports VRR if you plug a compatible screen into it so there's hope the next version of SD will have it and make the games that jump between 30 and 60 FPS feel much smoother.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I could see the eye strain thing being an issue. I have problems myself with monitors with odd subpixel arrangements, when it comes to staring at too much text at least. I really enjoy a good hdr implementation that comes with oled and think it’s more impressive than raytracing at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

Steam Deck is really great. I've also played Spiderweb games with it and it works flawlessly, though it required some tinkering with the control scheme - bind Tab to left bumper, enter combat to Y, inventory to X and so on. It's a little bit inconvenient to plug in all the free games we're getting from Epic and Gog and Amazon, you need to restart SD to behave like a Linux PC and install proxy applications which is not that hard but certainly inconvenient. And Linux emulation doesn't always work flawlessly, but you still have thousands of games that work just fine - I've played Cyberpunk 2077 on it to stress out the performance and also a lot of Europa Universalis 4 to stress out the control scheme.

I don't know if a Steam deck will play everything that I want, but the Odin can't even keep frame rates up on a New Super Mario Wii. I'm waiting for the next SD sale, probably around Christmas.