Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
if u watch in your rearview with heavy traffic behind you, your every move does slightly affect hundreds to thousands of cars and you can make stuff safer by accelerating and decelerating smoothly or speed up ans alow down a bunch and make ppl more likely to rear end eachorher
its like a kotor morality decision thing irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The only good use of a car

quote:

Hargreaves was apprehended by Independence Township police officers as the song “Welcome to the Jungle” continued to blare from his car stereo.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/10/04/new-jersey-man-car-crash-police-station-nr-cprog-vpx.cnn

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

a regular bicycle

do you think a cop would say this violated profanity laws or something

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Be gay do crimes (jaywalking)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Someone tried to steal my front wheel while i was at work, this loving city is going downhill :nixon:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's okay to go the posted limit, there's actually nothing wrong with it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Harik posted:

as far as I can tell no. The wording that they all copy is "between adjacent signaled crossings" but adjacent isn't defined anywhere.

Adjacent means no other intersections in between them, or at least that is how I've heard a lawyer define the language for Georgia law. So if some little street dead-ends onto the relevant street between two traffic lights, the adjacency is cancelled.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Here is an example from California code:

https://www.meaforensic.com/jaywalking/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

You're in a car, that's wrong enough for me

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
in my joke country there's a ~decade old legal precedent that any time a car hits someone more at risk like a pedestrian/biker/etc, it's the fault of the person in the car regardless of the situation, because they decided to bring their insanely dangerous 2 ton brick of death onto the public roads

it means you have to sue the other party in court for damages though, which is dumb, it should just be the default outcome

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Adjacent means no other intersections in between them, or at least that is how I've heard a lawyer define the language for Georgia law. So if some little street dead-ends onto the relevant street between two traffic lights, the adjacency is cancelled.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Here is an example from California code:

https://www.meaforensic.com/jaywalking/

From what I've seen of cities that basically cancels the adjacency anywhere except when you're between two block-sized superbuildings. Thinking of my normal walk to work downtown and the only place I can't legally cross already has a barrier to separate the bus lane. There's so many tiny capillary streets that aren't signaled to break adjacency.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

uh actually traffic is a fluid and you're impeding the flow of it and that's dangerous

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's like how theres a gorillion problems with "self-driving" cars, but the one people are most hung up about is that it slows down traffic because it has to obey the speed limits

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

FirstnameLastname posted:

less likely to collide with

like the car doesn't care what point you're making or who upset who if they rear end you and gently caress your neck or back up forever, and there's a significant enough amount of people who will snap and pull a gun and shoot you on purpose to where its just not worth it. you have no idea who is in the car behind you

Pretty prime example here of how carbrain turns you into a violent coward.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Car hopped a curb trying to do a u turn in the middle of the street and almost hit me just now so I just popped the rear passenger door open and kept walking.

Cars bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Get an old cyclocross bike op. Thank you.
That's pretty generally garbage advice. They're tall and twitchy and don't actually give you that much tire clearance (because of dumb UCI max tire size rules)

mystes posted:

All laws are disproportionately enforced against minorities but I don't personally think the solution is to get rid of all laws
automatic traffic enforcement with income/asset-dependent fines are loving awesome. You're gonna pay the loving fine even if you're not a pleb, and you're gonna loving feel it even if you have $beaucoup-bucks in the bank.

Bushiz posted:

popped the rear passenger door open and kept walking.
that's loving brilliant

Truga posted:

in my joke country there's a ~decade old legal precedent that any time a car hits someone more at risk like a pedestrian/biker/etc, it's the fault of the person in the car regardless of the situation, because they decided to bring their insanely dangerous 2 ton brick of death onto the public roads

it means you have to sue the other party in court for damages though, which is dumb, it should just be the default outcome
Netherlands have that as well, where regardless of actual fault the driver is at least 50% responsible for legal/insurance purposes.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Oct 5, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

gently caress cars

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Netherlands have that as well, where regardless of actual fault the driver is at least 50% responsible for legal/insurance purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_ipsa_loquitur

for some reason this simple legal idea doesn't apply to cars in the US

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_ipsa_loquitur

for some reason this simple legal idea doesn't apply to cars in the US

lol the US uses it to establish mens rea instead

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if we cant remove these onerous laws and theyre only used to harass the minorities, perhaps we can simply remove the minorities. has anyone tried this. hold on, im receiving a message in my earpiece...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

I heard a guy argue that everyone is going 20 over anyway so if you're in the left lane and not going 30 over, you're actually the one causing accidents.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's a ~600m stretch of street near my home in a 30km/h zone because it's a slow residential area and is one of those car+bike shared spaces.

imagine my surprise in january where that stretch of street is still boxed inside the greater 30km/h zone, but now has a 40km/h speed limit specifically for only that stretch. the reason stated on why it got changed when people got confused? "everyone drives 40 there anyway"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Truga posted:

there's a ~600m stretch of street near my home in a 30km/h zone because it's a slow residential area and is one of those car+bike shared spaces.

imagine my surprise in january where that stretch of street is still boxed inside the greater 30km/h zone, but now has a 40km/h speed limit specifically for only that stretch. the reason stated on why it got changed when people got confused? "everyone drives 40 there anyway"
time for a guerilla speed bump :)

stephenthinkpad posted:

I only saw these expensive quad once or twice. But I see they use the GSD to pull box trailers everyday in Manhattan. A bike with a big trailer is as big as the quad bike, and slower. Although you can argue they are lower so they don't block your views.
There’s plenty of decent trailers that are about as wide at bike handlebars. Surly makes a good one, carla cargo makes an assisted model for heavy loads.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

time for a guerilla speed bump :)

There’s plenty of decent trailers that are about as wide at bike handlebars. Surly makes a good one, carla cargo makes an assisted model for heavy loads.
I'm trying to imagine trying to actually ride in the average bike lane with a trailer or 800mm wide bars.

Just kidding. I won't even ride in that with 38cm bars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

saw a car with this camo seat cover over the driver's seat, and on the front of it had that skull logo you see all the time (from a comic book I think)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

actionjackson posted:

saw a car with this camo seat cover over the driver's seat, and on the front of it had that skull logo you see all the time (from a comic book I think)

you must have good eyes to spot it when camouflaged

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

you must have good eyes to spot it when camouflaged
maybe it's like dazzle camouflage and the point isn't that you can't see it, it's that you can't judge the distance from the car as a pedestrian

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

CopperHound posted:

I'm trying to imagine trying to actually ride in the average bike lane with a trailer or 800mm wide bars.

Just kidding. I won't even ride in that with 38cm bars.

Ah yes the sharrows across parking spots approach to infrastructure. Look at all the space cyclists get (between 8 pm and 6 am) how dare they complain!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Harik posted:

"When traffic signal is not in place, vehicles must yield to pedestrian in crosswalk on vehicle’s half of road or close to it. Pedestrians must not step off curb and into path of vehicle when vehicle does not have time to stop. If vehicle violates this statute and hits a blind or disabled person, they must pay a $500 fine and perform 30 hours of community service for a charity that serves blind or disabled people."

seeing a potential premise for a classically bad libertarian episode of King of the Hill right there

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

update, apparently it's "punisher" lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

actionjackson posted:

update, apparently it's "punisher" lol

shame how that logo has become post-ironic.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Bushiz posted:

Pretty prime example here of how carbrain turns you into a violent coward.

what

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
You're willing to murder pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers--a thing that is frighteningly common--because you're scared of a road rager shooting you--a thing that is very rare.

Thus, violent coward.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Personally i dont care what other impatient car fuckers think or do. I'm going to do my best to drive safely around pedestrians and bikes. If that means one of those psychos in a big truck jumps out and shoots me, well that's just life in america.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
We've all got to go sometime and it's not worth killing people who had nothing to do with your choices just to delay that

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ham Equity posted:

You're willing to murder pedestrians, cyclists, and other drivers--a thing that is frighteningly common--because you're scared of a road rager shooting you--a thing that is very rare.

Thus, violent coward.

i have never murdered anyone and didn't say to murder people, i said to avoid other traffic on the road rather than antagonizing strangers by deliberately ignoring the reality of how traffic flow works for ideological reasons, because moving vehicles aren't a place to argue points from. they are dangerous
i have had someone chase and try to run me off of the road in their car after they got upset i didn't brake for them to merge, after catching up to me at an offramp, they pitched a baseball,-sized ball of ice at my head with a 35mph speed differential, it missed by about half a foot and exploded against the a-pillar
three members of my immediate family members have had guns pointed directly at them over roadrage poo poo. you can think it's unlikely all you want, you don't want it fuckin happening to you, don't open yourself up to the chances of it unnecessarily - it doesn't matter how right you are if the only possible outcomes are A: Nothing or B: people get hurt. that's not the way to be right, which makes it wrong, which makes it bad. its that simple

if you are only considering a course of action because you feel your car affords you some protection from potential consequences, then you're being a dick for no good reason.

when you are operating a vehicle you should be entirely focused on that, not getting fussy about how fast or slow traffic is moving. not altering your decision making process to focus on pissing off the guy in the truck. - no, im not the guy in the truck, i don't drive a truck, pls stop projecting whatever scenario you've got in your head onto what I'm saying, this is objectively true.
it has nothing to do with any ideological stance it is a matter of physics and basic human psychology: it is not appropriate to try to get an emotional reaction out of someone piloting 3-6 thousand pounds of steel moving several dozen feet-per-second. especially with how lax licensing standards are, you already have no idea if the person you are upsetting is capable of safely operating their vehicle under the best of conditions, why would you want to make those conditions any worse and increase the likelihood of anything bad happening? Have you ever been in a car crash? They're terrifying, avoid them lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this is the car version of "an armed society is a polite society" lmao

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

it doesn't matter how right you are if the only possible outcomes are A: Nothing or B: people get hurt. that's not the way to be right, which makes it wrong, which makes it bad. its that simple

i think you’re missing the forest for the trees. the argument is that you go the speed limit because it’s safer for the pedestrians, it pissing off another driver is just the frosting of snow on those trees.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you're all just talking past each other because I think FirstnaneLastname was originally responding to PFC saying he drives the speed limit to intentionally piss people off and yeah intentionally trying to piss lovely drivers off is dumb whereas other people were giving other reasons to drive the speed limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the dmv recommends going slower when someone tailgates u in order to reduce the likelihood of a 3 car crash