Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxyclean posted:

Would be funny if the clover is a total red herring and/or is related to Corsair having a "luck" aspect.

If that was the case it'd probably be a four leaf clover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

They've never hinted at a future job in game to this point, unless you count Gosetsu being a Samurai. I didn't put any stock into the clover.

Um Alisaie as red mage in 3.4?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

Um Alisaie as red mage in 3.4?

Red mages - known for not healing and pulling magical swords out of thin air.

Sure she ended up as a Red Mage but I don't know if that was really a hint or clue for a player job.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you ignore the example of the time it happened it never happened

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If it was isolated, sure, but we also palled around with Nero and his unique skillset, among any other time we have NPC support. Throw 10 darts at the board and one might stick.

And it's not like she put on a red tricorn hat with a white feather, or anything else that screamed red mage. She just had a magic sword.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I rather like the idea of Green Mage tbh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxyclean posted:

Would be funny if the clover is a total red herring and/or is related to Corsair having a "luck" aspect.

It's 3 leafed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

They've never hinted at a future job in game to this point, unless you count Gosetsu being a Samurai. I didn't put any stock into the clover.

So they never had except that one time they very clearly did.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Red mages - known for not healing and pulling magical swords out of thin air.

Sure she ended up as a Red Mage but I don't know if that was really a hint or clue for a player job.

Yeah. They definitely weren't developing the expansion when 3.4 (Sept. 2016) came out. Sure they announced Red Mage in Dec 2016, but there was no way they were meaning Alisaie to be a hint on that. They probably hadn't even decided on expansion classes when 3.4 came out three months prior to the class's announcement.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Green mage as a support/moar dots moar dots ok stop dots job is an idea that I really like. Maybe their focus is buffs/debuffs/cleanses and their main damage rotation is putting Oil on a bunch of nearby enemies on their GCD and then hitting one with a fire spell with a longer cooldown and having it do 500 potency + 40/tick for 30 seconds or something. I don't know what good numbers would look like, I'm bad at math.

The trick is making sure they either slot into the healer role while actually having good mitigation options so they're still useful to have in prog, or slot into the DPS role without being a huge DPS sink by letting them regularly improve the rest of the party's output while still doing Green DPS levels on their own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Green Mage and Pictomancer both feel relatively likely and fit the hint. I would say that the only think I am hesitant with Green Mage in that it isn't a "oh COOL' job in the way a lot of others would be, but they can make up for that with a strong presentation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thancred became a Rogue/Ninja tag-teaming with Yugiri the Ninja/Rogue before it was added as a player job didn't he? That was pre-Leviathan (2.2) and Rogue was added in 2.4.

Sure it was overshadowed by Merlwyb casting Gun in the same cutscene, but it still happened.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Green Mage and Pictomancer both feel relatively likely and fit the hint. I would say that the only think I am hesitant with Green Mage in that it isn't a "oh COOL' job in the way a lot of others would be, but they can make up for that with a strong presentation.

I'll absolutely admit that I'm colored by my own biased views in this situation. In the end, I just don't feel like Pictomancer fits with the FFXIV style of class fantasy.

All of the FFXIV jobs feel like they have a very direct combat focus. The job that would feel the furthest from that would maybe be Scholar, but even they are presented as "battlefield commander/tactician" types.

My personal belief would be that Green Mage would lean into "commune with nature to attack foes" - especially since we're heading to a place that has already been said during Fanfest that they live in greater harmony with nature.

The clover just seals the deal for me. I feel like with the TMNT shirt you could make an argument in either direction, but the clover seems like a direct reference to Green Mage.

FFXIV does not deal in subtlety.

CBU3:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Throw 10 darts at the board and one might stick.

Please, no more darts sidequests.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I'll absolutely admit that I'm colored by my own biased views in this situation. In the end, I just don't feel like Pictomancer fits with the FFXIV style of class fantasy.

All of the FFXIV jobs feel like they have a very direct combat focus. The job that would feel the furthest from that would maybe be Scholar, but even they are presented as "battlefield commander/tactician" types.

My personal belief would be that Green Mage would lean into "commune with nature to attack foes" - especially since we're heading to a place that has already been said during Fanfest that they live in greater harmony with nature.

The clover just seals the deal for me. I feel like with the TMNT shirt you could make an argument in either direction, but the clover seems like a direct reference to Green Mage.

FFXIV does not deal in subtlety.

CBU3:

I guess I am not sure how Pictomancer is any less direct combat than Summoner. We even get a pretty good idea of how it would work in one of the FF6 boss fights, just presumably on a more player-based level.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

No you fools, the green clover is actually a club, like the playing card suit, which means the next class will be gambler obviously.

Edit: and a hint was given out in LAS VEGAS? WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 5, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You're all wrong. Green mage is also pictomancer. It's using ink magic. Oil painting.

Bookmark this post for when I'm right.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If it is green mage and they give it a nature theme then I hope the lb just conjures a giant fuckin tree and it's even more insanely obstructive than rdm lb.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It will be an exact copy+paste of Black Mage except all the spell effects are green now.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

If it is green mage and they give it a nature theme then I hope the lb just conjures a giant fuckin tree and it's even more insanely obstructive than rdm lb.

SGE already does that

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hogama posted:

It will be an exact copy+paste of Black Mage except all the spell effects are green now.

They can just use Verdant versions of all the spells.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It will summon a bunch of pothead moogles.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SGE already does that

Yeah but that tree is moderately transparent. I want a big opaque tree.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

They can just use Verdant versions of all the spells.

no im pretty sure verdant is the new red mage spell

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I figure it'll be tied into Viera lore somehow (or Tural lore) and be a debuff oriented support job rather than a pure dot mage. Combined with a nature magic visual.

Something like applying a debuff version of a bard song to an enemy as a primary method of damage support. A job gauge that tracks "debuffs" and a payoff spell that deals a huge chunk of damage based on dots/debuffs on the target, to help them 2 minute burst.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Failboattootoot posted:

Next job is just Kojin. When you change to it you model swap to a Kojin. Your limitbreak is to fly around like the adamantoise dropping bombs everywhere.

True GNB, aka Genbu

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I am not sure how Pictomancer is any less direct combat than Summoner. We even get a pretty good idea of how it would work in one of the FF6 boss fights, just presumably on a more player-based level.

I mean, Summoner is calling upon the powers of primals for battle. Maybe I am just not creative or imaginative enough but I just can't visualize how a painter could seem like a "battle" class. Are they just weaving a paint brush around like a wand? Like what would would their animations actually look like?

I'm not trying to be flippant with what you're saying or anything. I genuinely can't picture how they would make that work and fit the setting as a battle class.

And if it is a pictomancer, how is the clover a reference to that? We can direct a direct line between the clover and Green Mage. That seems to obviously eliminate any other options.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cactrot posted:

No you fools, the green clover is actually a club, like the playing card suit, which means the next class will be gambler obviously.

Edit: and a hint was given out in LAS VEGAS? WAKE UP SHEEPLE

I wouldn't mind a FFXIV version of gambler job since I've played the Bravely series and it was fun to weaponize money and RNG effects on mobs. Also, their job outfit was p stylish IMHO.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

I figure it'll be tied into Viera lore somehow (or Tural lore) and be a debuff oriented support job rather than a pure dot mage. Combined with a nature magic visual.

Something like applying a debuff version of a bard song to an enemy as a primary method of damage support. A job gauge that tracks "debuffs" and a payoff spell that deals a huge chunk of damage based on dots/debuffs on the target, to help them 2 minute burst.

I would say the big issue with that is that debuffs are so incredibly powerful that they can very easily become either utterly worthless or "this job is now mandatory." The game has struggled for a really long time with making debuffs not either eclipse the entire rest of the character's power or feeling kind of crappy either from a playfeel standpoint or a mechanical standpoint.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

TMNT shirt is for geomanxer because the turtles are empowered by the sewers

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, Summoner is calling upon the powers of primals for battle. Maybe I am just not creative or imaginative enough but I just can't visualize how a painter could seem like a "battle" class. Are they just weaving a paint brush around like a wand? Like what would would their animations actually look like?

I'm not trying to be flippant with what you're saying or anything. I genuinely can't picture how they would make that work and fit the setting as a battle class.

And if it is a pictomancer, how is the clover a reference to that? We can direct a direct line between the clover and Green Mage. That seems to obviously eliminate any other options.

We've got ink mages already in FFXIV which is what Pictomancer is. You paint a magic symbol and a spell happens, the painting is simply how you "cast" your art. So the examples we have are actually pretty close to Summoner, you can see it during the Heavensturn special holiday fate, Ink Mages paint a great white tiger deity (Byakko) and it comes to life to fight.

So a lot of painting a fireball into life or a lightning bolt, but ultimately it'd be very similar to off-brand Summoner in that you're "painting" creatures to animate and attack with.

It's going to be Green Mage, but painter/pictomancer would absolutely just be "painting the attack" as a cast animation.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Thancred became a Rogue/Ninja tag-teaming with Yugiri the Ninja/Rogue before it was added as a player job didn't he? That was pre-Leviathan (2.2) and Rogue was added in 2.4.

Sure it was overshadowed by Merlwyb casting Gun in the same cutscene, but it still happened.

Yup, they heavily hinted at ninja before rogue/ninja came out. I won't begrudge most people not remembering the timeline on this because only like 8 people were playing at the time, myself included.

edit: also most of us thought it would be thief, not rogue.

Note Block fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 5, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

In FF6 the Pictomancer was effectively a combo Blue Mage/Beastmaster that used pictures of enemies to do their own attacks back at them. So they could pretty easily have the smaller attacks be magical paint splashes and the big attacks being based on classical monsters that pop in for an attack. Like one could just be Ultros Tentacles and Ultros's tentacles pops out of a paint puddle or something. This would also give them a "non-limited" version of Beastmaster/Blue Mage class.

As far as the clover thing goes, it could not be related to to the job at all and is instead related to plot. It certainly doesn't look like a Job Stone or anything so it isn't necessarily tied to the new job, it just feels like there's a very good chance it is.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have no opinion on what kind of weapon a Green Mage should use, but how is using a brush as a magic wand any different from using any other stick as a magic wand?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Note Block posted:

Yup, they *heavily* hinted at ninja before rogue/ninja came out.

Also Merwylb using her guns in that part of the story was in of itself meant to be a hint at a future job that ended up becoming Machinist instead. One that literally has its guild sign visible in Limsa to this day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I've got one.

The Four-Leaf Clover is an item you need in Final Fantasy 12 in order to craft the Turtleshell Choker and you get it from the Mandragora Prince. Turtle Shells, Clovers, Final Fantasy 12? It's obviously means the new job is going to be Mandragora Ruler who summons the various Mandragoras to attack.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Four leaf clover? New job is KLEE

BOMBS AWAY

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

FuturePastNow posted:

I have no opinion on what kind of weapon a Green Mage should use, but how is using a brush as a magic wand any different from using any other stick as a magic wand?

In Tactics, Green Mages use hammers and maces, which are weapon types we don't have yet, outside of a few glamour items, or like that one WHM staff that looks like a ceremonial mace.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think it'd be deeply funny if the new caster is puppetmaster and the new scouting job is corsair cause that would mean all three ToAU jobs from ff11 got flung from the near east to the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vitamean posted:

I think it'd be deeply funny if the new caster is puppetmaster and the new scouting job is corsair cause that would mean all three ToAU jobs from ff11 got flung from the near east to the west

absolutely champing at the bit for puppetmaster, come on puppy, need me that sweet PUP UP PARADE