Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

In FF6 the Pictomancer was effectively a combo Blue Mage/Beastmaster that used pictures of enemies to do their own attacks back at them. So they could pretty easily have the smaller attacks be magical paint splashes and the big attacks being based on classical monsters that pop in for an attack. Like one could just be Ultros Tentacles and Ultros's tentacles pops out of a paint puddle or something. This would also give them a "non-limited" version of Beastmaster/Blue Mage class.

Personally, I feel like if the pitch is just "Pictomancer is kinda like blue mage (uses attacks based of enemies) but not a limited class," then that makes me lean even further from it being a possibility. That doesn't give it a strong core identity. It's just an off-brand blue mage that uses a paint brush.

But then the question would be, if not using enemy attacks, what realm of magic would they be using?

If we look at the "core" elements of FFXIV (Ice, Water, Wind, Lightning, Fire, Earth, Light, Darkness), I feel like the most under represented are Water and Earth. Both of those could feed into a "nature" caster. idk. Just trying to parse this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Personally, I feel like if the pitch is just "Pictomancer is kinda like blue mage (uses attacks based of enemies) but not a limited class," then that makes me lean even further from it being a possibility. That doesn't give it a strong core identity. It's just an off-brand blue mage that uses a paint brush.

But then the question would be, if not using enemy attacks, what realm of magic would they be using?

If we look at the "core" elements of FFXIV (Ice, Water, Wind, Lightning, Fire, Earth, Light, Darkness), I feel like the most under represented are Water and Earth. Both of those could feed into a "nature" caster. idk. Just trying to parse this out.

I mean the entire art aesthetic and mechanics that could go along with it would give it an identity on its own. Like we already have Ink Mages in the game as was pointed out and we have monsters and enemies that use attacks like that (heck, the Byakko weapons reference that.) As far as elemental attacks go they could easily associate colors of paint with magical spells (again, something already in the game) so you do blue paint for a water attack, green paint for a wind attack and then those combine into a Thunder attack (yellow). Build a combo around using all the elements and then you can do some big explosion attack or something at the end.

If anything I'd say Green Mage has that problem a lot more significantly. In older games it is basically just Off-Brand White Mage and if you make it a plant-based class then it has even less of a core identity that isn't "White Mage but combat based and a bit less holy."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 5, 2023

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

White Mage but combat based

That's it, you're getting glared

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Merwylb using her guns in that part of the story was in of itself meant to be a hint at a future job that ended up becoming Machinist instead. One that literally has its guild sign visible in Limsa to this day.

That’s Musketeer.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
The sign was there in 1.0. It’s a whole different thing. Convergent evolution, sorta

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Summoner/Scholar/Arcanist at it's core is doing magic via making geometric symbol webs. Ink/paint/picto magic is the same idea but instead of mathematical graphs you make pretty pictures.

Off the top of my head an art mage could be a sticker based caster similar to Samurai (or ninja kinda). Select your paints (basic spells that add yellow blue or red to your pallette themed job gauge) then instead of iajutsu you would have "paint to life" as your primary pay off where depending on what mixture of colours your palette has you create an attack.

Three red paints and you make a giant red bomb monster etc.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 5, 2023

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Note Block posted:

That's it, you're getting glared

It's true Glare Mage, just WHM without any of those pesky healing buttons getting in the way.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
On a completely unrelated note, people have started farming Felicitous Favors from Island Sanctuary.

They require Rank 19 as well as upgrading all of your facilities to max rank. You can earn 70 favor tokens a week. There are two things you can buy with favors - vouchers and lockboxes. Both vouchers and lockboxes cost 10 tokens each.

The only item currently available for vouchers is the rainbow Mandragora mount. It costs 200 vouchers (29 weeks of favors).

The lockboxes simply cost 10 tokens each, so you can buy up to 7 a week.

The Overseas Casuals discord has been putting together a list of what comes from the lockboxes. Since so few people have gotten them so far, it's a bit limited, but this is what is known thus far:

quote:

- Island Peerifool Whistle
- Mobile Garden Stairs housing item
- Wildflower Bed housing item
- Cowrie Housing Items
- Dyes, including Jet Black / Pure White
- Gatherer materia
- Island Sanctuary fireworks
- Treasure Map drops

Not confirmed yet, but likely:
- Minmisle Top Hat

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

goblin week posted:

The sign was there in 1.0. It’s a whole different thing. Convergent evolution, sorta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-OWLkzFfzQ&t=1s

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The next caster job is Ranger.

I'm not taking questions. :v:

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

The mystery person is a Green Mage but it's still not a new player job.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
So it's Time Mage all over again, eh

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Note Block posted:

absolutely champing at the bit for puppetmaster, come on puppy, need me that sweet PUP UP PARADE

a puppet must pup

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The mystery person is a Green Mage but it's still not a new player job.

i love that the model for the ending teaser doesn't actually have anything above the waist. its just legs, they knew we'd be datamining that poo poo :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kerrzhe posted:

a puppet must pup

i love that the model for the ending teaser doesn't actually have anything above the waist. its just legs, they knew we'd be datamining that poo poo :v:

Even then the legs are furry and the pants have a tailhole cut out but no tail so it is probably a lady Hrothgar.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The argument of, "It can't be Green Mage because historically they only use support magic" is invalidated by the existence of Sage, a job which historically casts both White and Black magic.

They absolutely can call it Green Mage, and then give it something like Nature magic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

The argument of, "It can't be Green Mage because historically they only use support magic" is invalidated by the existence of Sage, a job which historically casts both White and Black magic.

They absolutely can call it Green Mage, and then give it something like Nature magic.

I mean Sage still does. It's a wildly different version of the concept but it's a class that is built around healing and damaging at the same time. They just interpretant it as HEALING LASERS instead of "both white and black mage."

A Green Mage that has nothing to do with actual Green Mage is entirely possible but it also doesn't really mesh with "it has to be Green Mage because look at this symbol that was traditionally on green mages" if you're not actually making them like Green Mages. They could just as easily call it Druid or Geomancer or whatever then and probably get more hype. Even if it has a wildly different theme it probably still has *something* to do with the original concept, even if it is like "protect and shell magic made offensive somehow."

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Sage still does. It's a wildly different version of the concept but it's a class that is built around healing and damaging at the same time. They just interpretant it as HEALING LASERS instead of "both white and black mage."

A Green Mage that has nothing to do with actual Green Mage is entirely possible but it also doesn't really mesh with "it has to be Green Mage because look at this symbol that was traditionally on green mages" if you're not actually making them like Green Mages. They could just as easily call it Druid or Geomancer or whatever then and probably get more hype.

If you played FFXI, Scholar was the toggle black/white magic mage with a book.

Basically FF will change what it, wants when it wants, depending on the needs of the game.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Green Mage actually plays like a mastermind from CoV but you don't get to choose your minion type, it's just all mamool-ja.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Note Block posted:

If you played FFXI, Scholar was the toggle black/white magic mage with a book.

Basically FF will change what it, wants when it wants, depending on the needs of the game.

It will but it also tends to try to stick at least somewhat to the themes of the existing classes. Sage is probably the absolutely wildest difference and at the end of the day it is still "powerful magic user who uses both attack and defensive spells in conjunction." It isn't like they made it a melee DPS or anything.

They could absolutely just go "Green Mage is something entirely new" and that'd be 100% fine, but it feels weird to argue both they are going to ignore previously existing Green Mage stuff entirely but also that they are using previously established Green Mage stuff as a hint.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Failboattootoot posted:

Green Mage actually plays like a mastermind from CoV but you don't get to choose your minion type, it's just all mamool-ja.

The two people with the "An Amalj'aa's Worst Nightmare" 1.0 title that are still playing would be very happy

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Man, that would be so awesome.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Failboattootoot posted:

The LB3 is just summoning Scarface Bugaal Ja to dance

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I just want the new caster to use a whip

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
Quistis is that you bb girl?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Comedy option: The clover is an Irish joke, and the new job is Brewmaster. You get your party good drunk and the enemies bad drunk.

Guinnessmancer.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lord_Magmar posted:

Three red paints and you make a giant red bomb monster etc.

Note Block posted:

Four leaf clover? New job is KLEE

BOMBS AWAY

I'm going full in on the new job just being KLEE

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

YoshiP walks on stage. "ITS KLEE" and then just walks away. The crowd is stunned.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
I would risk getting fanfest covid again just to see that

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

who or what is klee

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
On the topic of whether Alisae was a hint about RDM or not, iirc her attacks and abilities in that duty after she pulls out her aether sword are all gladiator moves. I can't recall if she casts any spells, but she definitely used gladiator sword attacks and animations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

who or what is klee

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Green mage being debuff/status effect focused (Red Mage is the party support DPS already so don't think caster needs another one) but with big nature vibes is probably what i'd do if I was making it into an FFXIV class and I don't think it's that much of a stretch honestly. Yeah in TA2 its basically the non-combat counterpart to the Red Mage so it takes white magic buffs and black magic status effects from old games but it was also a Viera locked class so it kinda always had a sorta "magic of the forest guardians" vibe to it. Making it plant power feels super obvious to me.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A job that's just nothing but explosives would be cool ngl

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

She is a tiny bomb menace, which could be akin to a dps heavy alchemist of sorts, with a four-leaf clover motif and I'm not actually being too serious about my prediction here

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

A job that's just nothing but explosives would be cool ngl
that's black mage, sometimes the explosives are just frosty or electrical

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hogama posted:

that's black mage, sometimes the explosives are just frosty or electrical

I would prefer my grenades and RPG to be physical thank you :colbert:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I would prefer my grenades and RPG to be physical thank you :colbert:

You just have to build a time machine and go back to when mch had grenado shot.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

she should be careful with those

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
New FFXIV job: Bombardier! Unfortunately, in order to balance the high dps of the job, you will be stuck in solitary confinement when not raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Note Block posted:

She is a tiny bomb menace, which could be akin to a dps heavy alchemist of sorts, with a four-leaf clover motif and I'm not actually being too serious about my prediction here

If Nashu is the job trainer for this job I will be ok with this. :colbert: