Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
this is cringe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Juul-Whip posted:

see this is why theres demand for "CSPAM threads that belong in GBS" - because GBS posters are too stupid and uptight to recognize and enjoy one of the most common types of jokes, at the expense of one of the most repulsive public figures on the planet

No one here cares about sarcastic posts. We just don’t want page after page spamming “Elon musk ftw” like a bunch of loving 7th graders. They have an entire forum for that kind of boring bullshit.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

shut up

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

No one here cares about sarcastic posts. We just don’t want page after page spamming “Elon musk ftw” like a bunch of loving 7th graders. They have an entire forum for that kind of boring bullshit.

What Would Elon Do?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

please stop reporting the unironic musk stan bigot chud. we're looking into this. the gbs moderation staff is in talks with the administration right now. thank you everyone for your patience. we'll be closing the thread on tuesday

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

he got rid of the headlines because it makes it more like reddit, which he loves

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
"Sarcastically, I'm in charge" - Elon MuskoX.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

thathonkey posted:

sub micron accuracy. pixel perfect

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
each post in each of the musk threads is as worthwhile as any other

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
this trick is pixel perfect if it fails i could lose X

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he’s nailing these pixel perfect tricks in his lowtax speedrun, i think he can actually do it

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I lost my X down the slippery south park slope of bigotry

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Juul-Whip posted:

see this is why theres demand for "CSPAM threads that belong in GBS" - because GBS posters are too stupid and uptight to recognize and enjoy one of the most common types of jokes, at the expense of one of the most repulsive public figures on the planet

the premise isn't inherently unfunny

but there's no joke in the execution it's just lazy so it amounts to annoying noise. repeating the same bad joke 100x doesn't make it funnier

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

maybe Elon is just cutting a promo for google

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

MunchE posted:

the premise isn't inherently unfunny

but there's no joke in the execution it's just lazy so it amounts to annoying noise. repeating the same bad joke 100x doesn't make it funnier

So few understand this.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Elon Musk’s X is a black hole of value

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/elon-musks-x-is-black-hole-value-2023-10-03/

X is still worth something, but not for the people running it. Boss Linda Yaccarino is set to present her plans for the social network formerly known as Twitter to bankers holding nearly $13 billion of its debt, the Financial Times reported. Looming over talks is the likelihood that X’s value is substantially less than even that figure.

Despite Musk’s big pronouncements about pushing into subscriptions, X has historically relied on advertising, which contributed over 90% of revenue when it was a public company. But that business is spiraling, and the platform’s shifting policies could threaten more branding deals. In July, Musk posted that cash flow was negative because of a 50% drop in advertising sales.

Put it all together, and X isn’t just worth less than Musk paid for it, but likely less than its debt. Assume that the company’s revenue last year was $4.7 billion, based on results before it was taken private. If advertising has dropped by half, then this year’s sales should be a bit over $2.5 billion. Put that on the same enterprise-value-to-sales multiple as Snap, which is down to a mere 3 times, and X is worth around $8 billion.

The company is so far covering its hefty interest payments of $300 million per quarter, and Yaccarino sees profitable days ahead. But between Musk’s impromptu product shifts and the need to woo back advertisers, her task is daunting. If things deteriorate further, the company’s bankers - already nursing billions in on-paper losses - face the prospect of taking back the keys to a diminished platform that is worth less than even their claim on it. Like a financial black hole, X threatens to consume most of whatever value it once had.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
16-Bit Butthead is bad and he should feel bad.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've solved the riddle, it's the media who tells only lies and elon who tells only truths

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he removed the headlines from news articles to protect you from clickbait on x, formerly twitter

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

𝕏

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How do I get To X without typing in Twitter.com

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.x.com

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

this isnt goatse... reported

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

no that really is the site with the giant gaping rear end in a top hat

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

That's xcom baby

Largeguy
Nov 16, 2003

Insurance Bot is here. He gonna indemnify yo ass.

Red posted:

Bsky code, post when you take it:

bsky-social-pt4fl-ifjjj

Thank you for the rescue.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
If you think about it, there's no reason anyone should ever follow a link away from X, the everything app. Do Instagram one better and ban them entirely.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kazil posted:

maybe Elon is just cutting a promo for google

Twitter CEO talking to advertisers?

Isn’t that illegal? 🤣

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

satanic splash-back posted:

What Would Elon Do?

Probably keep posting the same glib response over and over while a bunch of irony-poisoned morons insist it's funny.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Bad Purchase posted:

i've solved the riddle, it's the media who tells only lies and elon who tells only truths

What if Elon was lying when he said the media only lies?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
No see you just don’t get the joke if you say the opposite of what you mean that’s irony and therefore funny and if anyone thinks it isn’t you just call them uptight and that’s funny too

Signed me, Justin Rolland (lol pickle Rick!)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Time_pants posted:

Probably keep posting the same glib response over and over while a bunch of irony-poisoned morons insist it's funny.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Elon should listen to sick puppies

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

E the Shaggy posted:

16-Bit Butthead is bad and he should feel bad.

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=

How the hell can he get a before screenshot, the change is already done.

Also, I just can't believe this change. It's just....it's just so DUMB. Now it's just photos with no context. How is that better even from an idiot's standpoint?

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 5, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

F-f-f-freestyler, rock the microphone

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Also, I just can't believe this change. It's just....it's just so DUMB. Now it's just photos with no context. How is that better even from an idiot's standpoint?

My theory is that it’s to increase click-through (so you can see what the article’s about) to help ad revenue. It’s dumb as gently caress and won’t work but it’s the only logic I can even sort of see making any sense even to Musk’s addled, under-developed brain tubes

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

IBroughttheFunk posted:

They tipped it earlier when they announced it. Some dumbshit engineer calculated they can show 8% more tweets or whatever on the same screen by eliminating the headlines so they think they'll get 8% more revenue

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Less vertical space means you gotta scroll less to see more ads!

Another successful day on x dot com, the everything com!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

IBroughttheFunk posted:

it looks nicer without the text.

on the website where he repeatedly asks people to post entire articles