Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

My arc with the ultrahand stuff was:

1) Super fun for a few hours, this is goofy!

2) Tired of it, takes a lot of fiddling to slap together even a simple machine that half the time I just abandon after a minute because it doesn't work the way I hoped or keeps getting stuck or something.

3) Have a better understanding of some machines that work, and a lot of Zonite, I mostly don't engage with building at all now except to make a disposable car/plane to get somewhere.

The vending machine orb system is bad, it feels like it discourages experimentation because I don't want to use my cool devices unless I'm pretty sure the thing I'm making will work. Yeah I can get more but it's a chore to teleport around and sit there feeding the machine hoping to pull something good.

I am like 100+ hours in, four temples down, puttering around. I enjoy the game well enough when I'm playing it, but when I'm not playing I also don't feel excited to get back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
One thing I like about TotK is that you can get access to the protective clothing before you get into an area. Unlike BotW where you have to make a bunch of elixirs to get to the goron village where you can get the flameproof suit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do you not use the autobuild ability?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I completely missed the free cold weather clothing from the tutorial island (I blame having a few beers while playing). So it was quite tilting to eventually learn I didn't actually need to cook 4,000 cold resist meals (or spend 1k rupees which I definitely did not have in the early game) in order to reach the wind temple, lol. Finally looked it up because I was like "there is no way a Zelda game is supposed to be this hard".

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fangz posted:

Do you not use the autobuild ability?

Oh yeah, between points 2 and 3 is when I got Autobuild. So now I have a few saved machines I use for specific purposes, but whenever I try to make something new I feel like the result is almost always underwhelming relative to the time and effort I spend building it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Docjowles posted:

I completely missed the free cold weather clothing from the tutorial island (I blame having a few beers while playing). So it was quite tilting to eventually learn I didn't actually need to cook 4,000 cold resist meals (or spend 1k rupees which I definitely did not have in the early game) in order to reach the wind temple, lol. Finally looked it up because I was like "there is no way a Zelda game is supposed to be this hard".
If it makes you feel better, I seem to have completely missed the fact that the game apparently guides you in any fashion, because I just sort of went off and did my thing. I completely missed this whole cold weather early in the game issue.

My main complaint is just that they reused the map from BotW, which, I get from a storytelling perspective, but I personally don't care about continuity between games. You can tell me in every single game that Hyrule is shaped different, has different towns, different monsters, different species, etc, because it means I get to discover all those new towns, and all those new spots in the wild. That scratch could have been itched by the Sky Islands or the Depths if they hadn't been so repetitive.

Still, I've put twice as many hours into it as BotW, so it's not as if I hate it or anything.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've messed with ultrahand/autobuild as little as they allow and have mostly been playing TotK like BotW DLC. The core of the game is still compelling to me but I generally don't want to create or build or craft in games because that part of my brain is exhausted by the time I'm done with work. I hope this isn't the new trajectory for the series.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Zelda is more for inspiring creativity in kids. If you want relaxation they made Hyrule Warriors for you

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I use ultrahand for puzzles and if I get sick of trying to perfect dodge I build a laser cannon. Ultrahand and autobuilder are more a relief from the frustrations I felt with BotW than anything.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Zelda is more for inspiring creativity in kids. If you want relaxation they made Hyrule Warriors for you

Not a musou fan either. But I just said the game is fine for me if played like BotW so I'm not exactly dissatisfied, I'd just have preferred more development resources allocated to new bespoke stuff. Towns, etc.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like that the crafting is there for people to go nuts over, but it’s not for me. I’m perfectly happy just using the Yiga blueprints for all my building. And I love that doing so doesn’t diminish my enjoyment of the game too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

It's a shame how many adults bounce off the creative activities in this game

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Agree. Adults, of all people, need to flex their imagination.

I’m amazed at how I went through the game and how my 10 year old daughter goes through it. I’m all logical and my creations are practical and she brute forces stuff and doesn’t play “correctly” but has managed to overcome every obstacle so far and is nearing Ganon. It’s taken her twice as long as me but she’s doing it. She builds goofy land vehicles and I do think she’s even built a flying vehicle at all. But she’s having fun so…

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I find using ultra hand just for utility is still very fun

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FooF posted:

I’m amazed at how I went through the game and how my 10 year old daughter goes through it. I’m all logical and my creations are practical and she brute forces stuff and doesn’t play “correctly” but has managed to overcome every obstacle so far and is nearing Ganon. It’s taken her twice as long as me but she’s doing it. She builds goofy land vehicles and I do think she’s even built a flying vehicle at all. But she’s having fun so…

You're a good parent.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*shoves my child out of the way so I can construct a flying machine out of raw steaks*

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My favorite ultrahand moments are when I use it to completely dunk on a puzzle or challenge. Recall, too, that thing owns.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite ultrahand moments are when I forget I can use ascend and make a giant, terrible bridge

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

FooF posted:

I get it. Some of us adults are using creativity as a profession though and coming home and doing more of it can be exhausting. Kids having games that let them be creative rather than pulling a happiness lever is absolutely what I want Nintendo doubling down on.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My daughter was watching me play once and asked me to build a town. I told her that wasn't going to be very easy (or even possible?), so she asked me to build a house. I told her it wasn't that kind of game, but she insisted. Then, she added that Link should be able to drive the house around.

This was the best I could do for her.

https://imgur.com/a/kLFFT0P

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My favorite ultrahand moments are when I forget I can use ascend and make a giant, terrible bridge

Still gonna spoiler this: fire temple was my favorite since there was the expected pathways and then there was my path.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My daughter was watching me play once and asked me to build a town. I told her that wasn't going to be very easy (or even possible?), so she asked me to build a house. I told her it wasn't that kind of game, but she insisted. Then, she added that Link should be able to drive the house around.

Drives like an A-frame, handles like a cottage!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I loved ultrahand building but aside from massive sandcrawlers, nothing I made worked terribly well, though they did all work (eventually). All the tools I used to beat the game are ones I dreamed up myself (sort of - the green goblin-mobile I made eventually got replaced by an air cycle when I saw them here because the former is frankly not great) and that's very satisfying to me.

The other side of it tho, weapon fusion, turned the thing I disliked the most in BotW into the thing I liked the most in TotK. It's a brilliant addition, but you sort of have to enjoy playing suboptimally to really explore it all. Luckily all you need is a pile of keese eyes to trivialize every single encounter in the game, so the rest of your kit can become float. This is a really good example of a game where following a guide from step 1 will ruin at least parts of it.

The thing that was the biggest letdown for me was the house. I get why it had to be like that but it's about the only thing I think BotW did better. That and the fact that the story was a lot more interesting imho but was structured quite badly, even considering that I really liked the disjointed aspect and thought it worked with the theme well. Oh and the tutorial should've either been a lot shorter or just a bit longer. As is it's both too long AND you're likely to miss some important stuff because the last power and the paraglider aren't gotten during it and by the time you're done you're not wanting to do anymore story for awhile.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

lol this owns

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah the weapon fusion stuff was great for me. I spent most of BotW too anxious to use any of my good weapons and did most of the game with a claymore and a broadsword.TotK: I'll fuse a Lynel hoof to a stick idgaf anymore. Very little weapon anxiety because I could always just farm for something cool and I had piles of "good enough" horns etc.

And yeah, I hated Keese in BotW but will chase those down in TotK. Keese eyes solve my bad aiming problems so nicely.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I guess I shouldn't attempt The Hunt proving ground with anything less than maximum health. Stupid hard and those little helper things, even with the bits attached to them do next to nothing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I guess I shouldn't attempt The Hunt proving ground with anything less than maximum health. Stupid hard and those little helper things, even with the bits attached to them do next to nothing.

lol yeah this one took me so many tries, i'd send two pusher bots into the main room and try to sneak around to get to a zonai cannon or flamethrower, but every construct would see me and start chasing me so i'd run clockwise around the room and die trying to pick up and fuse a laser to anything

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I hated those shrines until I had, maybe, 12 hearts? Then they were really fun.

One of them I made a flame thrower car with spikes on the front and ran everyone over. It owned.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you get a food/potion buff before entering a Proving Grounds it stays with you

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

lol yeah this one took me so many tries, i'd send two pusher bots into the main room and try to sneak around to get to a zonai cannon or flamethrower, but every construct would see me and start chasing me so i'd run clockwise around the room and die trying to pick up and fuse a laser to anything

Making a beeline for the shock emitter finally did the trick for me. Those things really gently caress up the constructs. But yeah that was probably the most tries any shrine took me.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the autosave in this is extremely rude sometimes. i died and it respawned me with an enemy right behind me who immediately killed me in one hit

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

If the creative part wasn't such a slog it would be fun for me, building for 5 minutes to accomplish a 10 second task over and over blows. None of the objectives you have to complete with your builds are even creative or fun; most of it is just hauling stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been putting in more hours and I did do almost a complete 180 on my initial impressions. Autobuild certainly helps a ton but I still think that feature is just janky to use. I do like it for manipulating things more than the magnesis power from the first game (I always thought that one was really silly and wondered why they just didn't make it a general manipulation power) - makes it easier to just move things around and break crates for arrows and whatever else. But I still maintain that there's just an unnecessary layer of busywork to everything. Fuse is the perfect opportunity to have unbreakable base weapons that you enhance with breakable resources. So you spend the loop of fighting evil monsters and less time rummaging around ruins to stock up with a dozen royal broadswords, go into your menu, drop a bunch of parts then fuse each individual one. I don't mean to start that tired, old debate again but it would go a long way for me and I'd enjoy myself a ton more so I just had to get it off my chest.

My time also showed me that I do miss "old school" progression. Gaining power by defeating bosses/hard enemies, collecting things to turn in to get more power, things like that. I'm tired of experience points. Let's go back to this style of progression for a while!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be cool if the had a fuse menu like you do with arrows, but for your sword and shield so you could do it live in the field without having to open the menu and drop the item.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The auto-sort categories generally group things together well, with all of what I guess you could call utility fruits together, but then they have brightbloom seeds all the way at the back end of the menu, which is annoying.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just fire like 10 of whatever you are actually going to use off and then sort by most used. I'm pretty sure 95% of all players had the same top 3

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Just fire like 10 of whatever you are actually going to use off and then sort by most used. I'm pretty sure 95% of all players had the same top 3

After beating Ganon I fully handed the game over to my 6 year old. I wonder what his most used would look like if you factored out my fairly normal poo poo. His inventory is always 10 blinking red weapons that are all fused with like star fragments and ancient blades that he doesn't want to break but also can't resist using cause they own

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Here's a question, just firing up this game after taking a couple months off. Played non-stop when it first hit for a month, then Street Fighter 6 a lot, and just poked at this a few times since. For Breath of the Wild it was similar, played non-stop, had that addictive new game feel, then didn't get back to the game fully to beat it until about 11 months later.

I'm sure the magic will rekindle itself in due time, but I wonder if there's anything or anywhere in particular to head for exciting stuff in particular at the moment. I guess I should check out Hateno village for new story stuff etc.

So far I did the one wind temple, unlocked two fairies, and uncovered going on 10 towers, lots of exploring the middle areas. Did some sky stuff and some underground stuff too. Amazing game, I guess I should just focus on more story and town stuff I haven't done yet at the moment maybe. The idea of just covering everything on the map is a little less enticing currently. Long story short, something about the BoTW series seems to make me go ham and then burn out, and then revisit it a long while later with new vigor.

I also haven't gotten autobuild yet, keep meaning to do that. Quite the big game. Any tips or tidbits?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Here's a question, just firing up this game after taking a couple months off. Played non-stop when it first hit for a month, then Street Fighter 6 a lot, and just poked at this a few times since. For Breath of the Wild it was similar, played non-stop, had that addictive new game feel, then didn't get back to the game fully to beat it until about 11 months later.

I'm sure the magic will rekindle itself in due time, but I wonder if there's anything or anywhere in particular to head for exciting stuff in particular at the moment. I guess I should check out Hateno village for new story stuff etc.

So far I did the one wind temple, unlocked two fairies, and uncovered going on 10 towers, lots of exploring the middle areas. Did some sky stuff and some underground stuff too. Amazing game, I guess I should just focus on more story and town stuff I haven't done yet at the moment maybe. The idea of just covering everything on the map is a little less enticing currently. Long story short, something about the BoTW series seems to make me go ham and then burn out, and then revisit it a long while later with new vigor.

I also haven't gotten autobuild yet, keep meaning to do that. Quite the big game. Any tips or tidbits?

You’re doing fine and your approach is good. Don’t be afraid to keep plowing through the main quest and hitting all the temples. Also follow the clues telling you to explore the underground and photograph the statues down there, that will help get what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cartoon Man posted:

You’re doing fine and your approach is good. Don’t be afraid to keep plowing through the main quest and hitting all the temples. Also follow the clues telling you to explore the underground and photograph the statues down there, that will help get what you want.

Sounds good! Thanks.