Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah as dwarfs you need enough artillery to counterbattery the enemy, destroy their artillery capability, and then hammer their army until they are forced to engage you on your terms.

Cannons are great for this because of their range and accuracy and they're also pretty good against massed troops as well, very versatile, pack at least two regiments, possible three or four if you don't have anything more specialized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

How much artillery are you putting in each army? Dawi are a "come and get us" army, they will never chase anyone down, they are designed to just sit and pound the enemy to bits.

I have 3 Grudgethrowers in each army. No issues with any enemy faction except for Skaven and Chaos Dwarfs. The Hellcannons are nasty units that don't break and can inflict a large amount of damage to your troops while you try to whittle them down with your own artillery. On top of that, Skaven magic + CD bombardment abilities can chew through 30% of my troops before the enemy line even hits my melee.

My main frustration last night was just seeing Thorgrim trying to hit any of the Skaven or CD lords in melee, and them saying "nope!". Dwarf melee lords are best when you can bunch up all of the enemy units and blow them to pieces with your artillery.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

New hotfix breaks some mods (Tomb Kings Extended, We'z Speshul, Skaven Clans) - I've let the respective modders know and all except TKE should be fixed, but if you get a CTD try resubscribing to those mods to force an update.

Specifically they renamed/removed a wh2 effect which removes corruption that those mods use.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

GolfHole posted:

this is called lol.jpg

Sorry for the double post but loosely recreating it in skirmish (because of ally restrictions, though I do have your mods) I get 16752 vs 18963 value, albeit undamaged.

Which is not to say it's a valiant defeat :v:

It's mainly the chariots and characters that do it - 1600-2000 per character, 1000 per archer chariot and 850 per regular chariot - in comparison a single helstorm is 1050 and that is the most expensive empire used unit aside from the lord and unique luminark.

Playing it as AI vs AI Empire actually loses, but that's mostly because the artillery spend the entire battle shooting at the enemy lord who runs around in circles dodging :shobon:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 5, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Worst thing about dwarfs is that if you're fighting an enemy that's gonna surround you with huge numbers, your artillery gets absolutely swarmed and you just don't have enough beard boys to protect them fully. This is totally different from playing as Empire when you're surrounded because you get faster units like cavalry to keep the pressure off your artillery

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jokes posted:

Worst thing about dwarfs is that if you're fighting an enemy that's gonna surround you with huge numbers, your artillery gets absolutely swarmed and you just don't have enough beard boys to protect them fully. This is totally different from playing as Empire when you're surrounded because you get faster units like cavalry to keep the pressure off your artillery

Allies. Dwarfs get more mileage out of allied recruitment than maybe any other race in the game. Find the humans and the elves. Suck up your pride and make friends with them.

They can strike out the grudges with their dragon princes and grail knights dressed up in blue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agreed, you can get a tremendous amount of mileage out of some outriders as dwarfs, they can even shoot over your own troops if you don't need their maneuverability :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cythereal posted:

Allies. Dwarfs get more mileage out of allied recruitment than maybe any other race in the game. Find the humans and the elves. Suck up your pride and make friends with them.

They can strike out the grudges with their dragon princes and grail knights dressed up in blue.

Yeah there are a few races that allies is a complete game changer. Brettonia is similar - having a solid front line transforms them. Funny enough it's the races that lean heavily into a strategy that get the most - cover up the holes in their roster.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You can engage in a little dwarven defensive geometry. As a treat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dwarfs sucking up their pride? lol?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

jokes posted:

There's no insult in getting proxy troops from allies. They're sending offerings of respect!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Allies ruin my roleplay as the Dwarfs. All have wronged us!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

wedgie deliverer posted:

There's no insult in getting proxy troops from allies. They're sending offerings of respect!

That's a grudgin

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Allies help with any shortages the dwarves have in their military

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Leal posted:

Allies help with any shortages the dwarves have in their military

What did you just say?

*Ends non-aggression treaty with you*

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dwarf and empire armies should probably have had some way to get a few units from the other from the start. They're the closest allies you'll find anywhere in the warhammer world, which means they only occasionally kill each other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jokes posted:

They can work off the grudge by shedding their blood in place of Dawi on the field.

Just because dwarfs are toxic masculinity: the race doesn't mean they have to be completely stupid about it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Carcer posted:

Dwarf and empire armies should probably have had some way to get a few units from the other from the start. They're the closest allies you'll find anywhere in the warhammer world, which means they only occasionally kill each other.

Dwarfs covered in human blood: The manlings know what they did
Manlings: we don't know what we did

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

jokes posted:

Dwarfs: YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DID??? That goes into the book!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I tried to give the Dwarfs a couple of mountain settlements I don't want and they either will not accept them, or will accept them but NOT if it means any sort of non-aggression pact.

They are complete and absolute wankers.

Flakey posted:

Sooo, how'd it goooo?

we made a lot of jell-o that day

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It would probably depend on what the empire general/captain said when they arrived. If was something along the line that they're honoring their ancient pact with the dwarves, the dwarves would be fine. Anything about helping out due to perceived weakness or need and the dwarves would at best tell them to gently caress off.

jokes posted:

Some manling, probably long dead, knows what he did. Its not the dwarves fault humans don't write things down properly.

GolfHole posted:

I tried to give the Dwarfs a couple of mountain settlements I don't want and they either will not accept them, or will accept them but NOT if it means any sort of non-aggression pact.

They are complete and absolute wankers.

we made a lot of jell-o that day

Give them one and wait a couple of turns. Selling settlements to other factions, even if you ask for payment, shoots their opinion of you into the stratosphere.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 5, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Put in the book of grudges for inventing the most powerful military unit in the world: half a regiment of handgunners using the helmets of half a regiment of thunderers as a shooting stand.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
WH3 only made this stronger because of all the new fast flankers and flyers demons get but the best cavalry interceptors Dwarfs can truly rely on are Slayers and you absolutely want them sitting in the wings to catch enemy cav going for your arty. Dudes will burn them (and themselves) down

But also the initial complaint isn't that Dwarfs are easily outflanked, it's that chorfs get to access multiple arty calldowns, and yeah you're just going to have to take those lumps and take out the artillery building ASAP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also say that dwarfs do get gyrocopters, which are both fast and capable of lending fire support to any combat situation your other troops end up in because they shoot from elevation.

A couple squads of those can give you a quite good reaction force.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
conceptually it also makes sense that it's annoying as poo poo to fight Chaos Dwarves. like why else would no one go into the Dark Lands. poo poo sucks there. you have a bunch of assholes with bombards and cannons running the place. gently caress that noise

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah the cannon buildings are also only provincial capital only, it's very cool aesthetic design that their provincial caps are daunting nightmare fortresses to take, that Chorfs would invest into extreme field defenses because they're industrious like that, and said defenses consist of emplacements filled with the most powerful bombardment artillery in existence

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 5, 2023

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

But hey, at least since the most recent patch you don't just randomly die from attacking their gates in a siege! Baby steps!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

conceptually it also makes sense that it's annoying as poo poo to fight Chaos Dwarves. like why else would no one go into the Dark Lands. poo poo sucks there. you have a bunch of assholes with bombards and cannons running the place. gently caress that noise

Autoresolve nation

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Slapping a "Keep blobbing, I'm reloading" sticker on my cannon

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Private Speech posted:

New hotfix breaks some mods (Tomb Kings Extended, We'z Speshul, Skaven Clans) - I've let the respective modders know and all except TKE should be fixed, but if you get a CTD try resubscribing to those mods to force an update.

Specifically they renamed/removed a wh2 effect which removes corruption that those mods use.

Looks like Sigmar's Heirs also got broke, but hasn't been updated yet.

Edit: Modder said he'll get to it tomorrow yay.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 6, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Leal posted:

Slapping a "Keep blobbing, I'm reloading" sticker on my cannon

A sticker on the side of war machines of Karl Franz saying “I did that” with a smirk

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

jokes posted:

Autoresolve nation

I feel much less bad about my poor performance against the Chaos Dwarfs compared to the auto-resolver now that I see their bombardment powers are a universal problem. It just took a perspective shift to seeing the bombards as helpfully clearing out the old Orc Boyz stock from my armies to make way for shiny new Black Orcs.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the autoresolver is also not giving accurate info these days, with results most often being quite a bit worse than it's prediction. This is across most factions, so it's not necessarily faction or unit weighting.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'm still annoyed that autoresolve keeps killing my doomwheels even on decisive victories when I try to play Ikit Claw.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

bobtheconqueror posted:

I'm still annoyed that autoresolve keeps killing my doomwheels even on decisive victories when I try to play Ikit Claw.

not saying doomwheels are bad but in single player but Ikkit and warlock masters are usually better on doomflayers because smaller target + faster. Loses out on mass and missiles (in Ikkit's case), but you already have a ton of the latter as skaven and don't necessarily need the first as you have summons to hold up the enemy or get them to crowd. Speed+maneuverability are probably the best defensive stats, if not the best all-around stats, depending on the unit type.

same deal applies with their monsters.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I find after a couple tough battles with any faction the AI in W3 collapses pretty quickly. I'm tempted to make my next campaign on Legendary campaign difficulty, will that help the AI out enough to make the campaign a real slog for longer?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

bobtheconqueror posted:

This happens with quite a few chariot units, which I like putting into armies for fun but if it means I'm going to have to save before each autoresolve battle and then reload and play it out to stop them dying then they're not worth the hassle

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

AR math is supposedly so byzantine that CA devs can't explain it but in practice it's roughly analogous to "what if both sides lined up facing each other on flat ground, traded all their ammunition, and then units paired off to fight to the death in melee; assign all damage to the lowest tier units first." It's why AR weighs artillery and ranged units heavily, hates the poo poo out of kiting/cycle-chargers, and why it's good to keep a couple crappy t1 melee scrubs in most armies into midgame if you're lazy or if you have damaged higher-tier troops (the vampire counts effect).

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I will play out a lot of AR matches that expect my infinitely regenerating war crime general to be topped and it's frustrating, but jesus it helps on the reverse when I'm fighting Grimgrog and AR actually gives me a win when if I play it out I can't even do 10% to that buff bod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
In a theoretical world where the Empire gets Nuln Ironsides in the next DLC, what would make them different from streltsi? They seem to be just armored handgunners