Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same.
Or Legend of the Rangers.
Or most of Crusade.

Apart from some funny acting by Katsulas i found Rangers to be entirely skippable, Crusade was different but nice and i saw it in the correct viewing order so i may be biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The only bit in Rangers worth watching is the part where G'kar says goodbye to the other alien ambassadors by saying "kiss kiss, love love, toodles!" and seeing everyone looking at him going :wtf:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The gathering has a cool freaky delenn, but the two actors that got ditched for the series are fairly terrible imo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sebmojo posted:

The gathering has a cool freaky delenn, but the two actors that got ditched for the series are fairly terrible imo

Agreed on Laurel Takashima, though Tamyln Tomita has gone on to have easily the best career of any Babylon 5 regular / near regular, and has been near constantly employed for the last twenty years.

Daniel Dae Kim and Gary Cole have had better careers, but they were both in the spin-off.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 19, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
S2E12 Acts of Sacrifice

Are there not rules of engagement/war here? What the gently caress Centauri? Actively targeting a civilian escape ship?
Oh so the Centauri are just Americans in Afghanistan
Fuckin good job security, you’re about as effective as playground supervisors at identifying and effectively punishing the bullies
You’re just as bad Sheridan, Jesus Christ
This alien is gonna end up almost dying right?
Oh Londo maybe don’t be a lovely warmonger and you’d have more friends
Goddamn Katsulas is a good actor, that was a great speech to his people that they promptly ignored
I know they lampshaded this at some point but every once in awhile the weapon situation reminds me of the movie Maverick, “your security isn’t worth a drat! Everybody’s got a gun/sword/etc!”
Lol this is a pretty good skewering of capitalism “drat we thought we were cold but you don’t even take care of your OWN species.”
gently caress yeah Na’Toth
Narn fight style: “I’m a caaaaaat”
Franklin the smuggler
Love Garibaldi’s impression of Londo
Lol Ivanova, that was…something.

Missed a few because I was just enjoying it. I was really not expecting a full blown war this early between main character races.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
S2E14 There all the honor lies

Everything to do with the gift shop is gold
The human wearing an alien mask and then the human wearing an alien mask
My overall impression of this episode is that someone’s Law and Order spec script got rejected
“I never said that.” “Oh, I’ll let you know who did.”
I’m glad we’re getting more Kosh finally.
Uhhhhh singing monks in the worst part of down below?
Poor Vir
“MAY I ASK YOU A QUESTION?”
Why would he space the bear???

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
S2E15 And Now for a Word

Show is turning into Community between the Law and Order episode and a news special.
Lol, Sponsored by Interplanetary Expeditions…and Veridian Dynamics
Between this episode and last I like how comfortable they feel riffing. Ivanova hovering in the background of the CnC interview was fantastic.
Frankin. My dude. This is dark.
“…yes.”
This G’Kar monologue kills. drat.
gently caress Londo. Colonizer.
That was a really good episode, great story and well delivered.
And the way they’ve set up and then subverted expectations with the Narn and Centauri over the series has been great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Riven posted:

S2E14 There all the honor lies

Why would he space the bear???

You aren't the first person to ask that, and you won't be the last.

The answer is because it's exactly the kind of merch that JMS didn't want his show to have. Someone made it as a joke and sent it to him, and he expressed his opinion of it in the script.

Ba-bear-lon 5 later showed up in an episode of Bill Mumy's kids SF show Space Cases, where it is rescued from space and one of the characters asks who would space a perfectly good teddy bear.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Hah I was just reading about some of that as I caught up with the early pages of the thread. I can read up to page 17 now!

Naming: My wife and I also immediately went “why is it not named Bear-bylon???”

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
We've still been watching but I've been doing a lot of writing for work and taking notes in my off time has not been really exciting. So general thoughts on S2E16 In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum through S2E19 Divided Loyalties. I did watch In the Shadow before Knives because I didn't see the recommendation til after we had watched In the Shadow:

From reading earlier in the thread, I know we're in the part of the show where it takes off, and "In the Shadow" drives that home. What a great episode to drive the big plot forward. Seeing Sheridan slowly melt over the couple of episodes was a good through-line for him. I see how Knives sets it up though and think that is the better watching order with Knives first. I'm really in this for the big Shadow/Kosh stuff so finding out that Kosh/Vorlons is an ancient one was loving fantastic. That's exactly the kind of moment I'm watching this show for. And the actor playing Morden is so perfectly handsomely evil. A+ casting. Vir's monologue to him was great. Everything about In the Shadows was great. One of the top 5 episodes so far, particularly for what I'm invested in. The Nightwatch is in there too but I really don't care much for the Earth politics plot-line so, yeah, it's there. The plot it's setting up seems relatively obvious (though I could get surprised).

Confessions - what an ending. What a loving gut punch. So well written, and I know it was sort of S2 version of Believers, but hit just as hard and had even more impact. I think there was more telegraphing in Believers: the moment the parents picked the kid up my wife and I were like "kid's dead. yup." But with Confessions we were right there with the medical crew with their hope of a cure until the door opened and holy poo poo Mira Furlan and Bill Mumy knocked it out of the park in that scene. Showing the people dying around them could not have created a bigger impact than what you imagine when you look at their faces and can see the horror they just experienced. Maybe not top 5 overall moments in the show so far, but definitely in the top 5 acting moments.

Divided Loyalties - I read a bit of the analysis of this in the earlier thread pages so know this was Andrea Thompson's "trap door." I'm disappointed you don't get Kosh rebooting her personality, and will always wonder (or maybe just wonder til I finish the series and can read ALL the behind the scenes stuff) if Talia being rebooted would have led to a real relationship between her and Ivanova, or if that was purely the spy personality. Even just knowing Ivanova is gay makes me interested to see if she does find someone and they get to a queer relationship somewhere in the show's run. I like how they got Talia exited and that the show was flexible enough to do that kind of thing, that they didn't have to scramble and make non-sensical poo poo up last minute like...every character exit on Lost. I mourn the plot we lost while celebrating the life of the plot we got.

I think one overall thing that's impressive to me has been the pacing of one-off and big-plot episodes. You'll have the through-lines of Big Plot in the one-off episodes, but then get occasional culminations (and not even a season finale, but spread throughout the season) in something like In the Shadows. And both kinds of episode are excellent. Just look at In the Shadow and Confessions for examples of those. As opposed to say, Lost, where the individual character episodes where just some of the best TV ever made but every Big Plot culmination was a wet fart. Or GoT, even in the good seasons, where the Big Important poo poo basically happened in the season finale. The pacing is good, is what I'm saying.

I guess my biggest anticipation is where this could possibly go. My sense from reading non-spoilered stuff is that the show climaxes late S4, and like, there's already an interspecies war driven by the Shadows that are already engaged in the world! How does this not climax in early-mid S3??? Excited to see!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
S3E5:
Ok Sigma 957 call back great great but let’s just get to

“Captain, I think you’re about to go…..where everyone has gone before.”

Holy poo poo that was great. I love the faces she makes too whenever one of the guys is doing or saying something stupid.

“Who knew they were French?”

Zingers abound in this one.

The graphics are so much better. That first season I thought this First Ones ship was a being itself, not a ship.

Also S3E4 was by far the creepiest episode of the show to me and my wife.

Riven fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 4, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just finished S3 War Without End episodes. How was that not the season finale??? On any other show some of these episodes would be series finales and here it’s just like yep, here’s another thing that happens in the plot.

Called that Sinclair was Valenn basically from the moment he got the letter. Great, great ser of episodes with how it tied in. Any other show would have done a three parter of the one two years ago and these, with the first one looking back in time. I can”t think of another show that called a shot like this two years ahead of time and paid it off. drat that was satisfying. And what a satisfying true series wrap for Sinclair.

And the vision of Londo and G’Kar’s deaths. What I am left wondering, as I think Sheridan is, is if that is the future set in stone, or if there is still a way to prevent that future and make a brighter one. And with the way this show sits on the balance of optimism and pessimism I truly can’t make a confident guess.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Babylon 5 was strange with its broadcast schedule. From what I remember, War Without End was followed by a 7-8 week break after it finished, so it was almost like a season finale.

Also, I don’t think there was a big gap between the Season 3 finale and the Season 4 premiere on original broadcast.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zaroff posted:

Babylon 5 was strange with its broadcast schedule. From what I remember, War Without End was followed by a 7-8 week break after it finished, so it was almost like a season finale.

Also, I don’t think there was a big gap between the Season 3 finale and the Season 4 premiere on original broadcast.

The scheduling looks pretty weird generally -- the first season started in January and ran until October, when most ilk contemporary shows tended to start in September/October and run until May, to match up with sweeps and production schedules. So the delay from May to US Autumn is fairly typical of these kinds of productions, though the season was unusually staggered in this case.

Does anyone have knowledge as to why the show had such a strange seasonal layout?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There was also a big gap before the last four episodes of S2. never heard a reason beyond WB being weird.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mllaneza posted:

There was also a big gap before the last four episodes of S2. never heard a reason beyond WB being weird.

Yeah, they hosed up and that threw the scheduling off for the rest of the series.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just finished S3

Sheridan leaping off the building as 1200 Megatons of nuclear reaction go off is right up there in all-time action moments with Dom catching Letty mid-air between two bridges, “Get away from her you bitch,” and Tony snapping his fingers.

Not gonna lie, his behavior prior to leaving and Garibaldi’s reaction to the orders had my wife and I very nervous.

But I’m still left with the uselessness of Delenn telling him not to go to Z’ha’dum without telling him if he went to Z’ha’dum in that timeline. Without that information he’s working on a major assumption and we still can’t be sure that he’s taking the path that led to that future.

Can’t wait to start S4, but we spent all yesterday bingeing S3 while my son was at his grandma’s and today have to like, clean the house and stuff.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Riven posted:

Just finished S3

But I’m still left with the uselessness of Delenn telling him not to go to Z’ha’dum without telling him if he went to Z’ha’dum in that timeline. Without that information he’s working on a major assumption and we still can’t be sure that he’s taking the path that led to that future.

S3 ending spoilers:
On Delenn's warning, on the face of it, there's two possibilities. If Sheridan didn't go to Z'ha'dum is her past, she either urges him to go if she thinks that would improve things, doesn't bring it up at all, or tells him not to go. The last option is a bit odd to bring up if he didn't go in her past. Conversely, if Sheridan did go, she either urges him to go, doesn't bring it up, or tries to change the past by asking him not to go.

Further, from past-Sheridan's perspective, it doesn't matter if she says "you did go to Z'ha'dum, but don't this time," because if he doesn't trust her advice not to go, how can he trust her claim about what he actually did? His parting concern that he listened to her and didn't go and that's why things went poorly is a bit of a misdirect, because what he's really deciding is whether he can trust her to give him the advice best tailored to improve the future outcome, or whether she might lie to him. If he can't trust her, he has to disregard her advice, whatever it is, and make an independent decision. And given that she already lied to him about Anna, he elects to do what he thinks is best.

But the situation is even more interesting, because if future Delenn is in our current timeline's future, future Delenn knows that Sheridan met her in the future and that she warned him not to go to Z'ha'dum... and he went anyway. In other words, when she decides whether to warn him not to go to Z'ha'dum, she might be doing it to convince him not to go, but she might be doing it because she knows that's what she did. She might even be doing it to convince him to go! Obviously, that's not something anyone is in the position to parse at the end of S3, but this simple moment gets increasingly complicated if you ask whether Delenn is trying to change her past or trying to ensure it stays the same. That assumes there's anything she can do: Sinclair tries to warn past Garibaldi in War Without End part 2, but it doesn't work. Maybe future people can't change the past at all. Or maybe her outburst isn't calculated and she's just speaking her mind regardless of how it might or might not change the past.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Narsham posted:

S3 ending spoilers:
On Delenn's warning, on the face of it, there's two possibilities. If Sheridan didn't go to Z'ha'dum is her past, she either urges him to go if she thinks that would improve things, doesn't bring it up at all, or tells him not to go. The last option is a bit odd to bring up if he didn't go in her past. Conversely, if Sheridan did go, she either urges him to go, doesn't bring it up, or tries to change the past by asking him not to go.

Further, from past-Sheridan's perspective, it doesn't matter if she says "you did go to Z'ha'dum, but don't this time," because if he doesn't trust her advice not to go, how can he trust her claim about what he actually did? His parting concern that he listened to her and didn't go and that's why things went poorly is a bit of a misdirect, because what he's really deciding is whether he can trust her to give him the advice best tailored to improve the future outcome, or whether she might lie to him. If he can't trust her, he has to disregard her advice, whatever it is, and make an independent decision. And given that she already lied to him about Anna, he elects to do what he thinks is best.

But the situation is even more interesting, because if future Delenn is in our current timeline's future, future Delenn knows that Sheridan met her in the future and that she warned him not to go to Z'ha'dum... and he went anyway. In other words, when she decides whether to warn him not to go to Z'ha'dum, she might be doing it to convince him not to go, but she might be doing it because she knows that's what she did. She might even be doing it to convince him to go! Obviously, that's not something anyone is in the position to parse at the end of S3, but this simple moment gets increasingly complicated if you ask whether Delenn is trying to change her past or trying to ensure it stays the same. That assumes there's anything she can do: Sinclair tries to warn past Garibaldi in War Without End part 2, but it doesn't work. Maybe future people can't change the past at all. Or maybe her outburst isn't calculated and she's just speaking her mind regardless of how it might or might not change the past.

Yeah I also made the equivalence with Sinclair’s futile warning, and seeing it might have just been that for her. I like what you’re saying about it really being a reflection of his trust in her rather than a logical timey-wimey calculation. I hadn’t thought of it that way.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does anyone remember what episode had Sinclair and Garibaldi using a space urinal? It’s in S1 for sure.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fadam posted:

Does anyone remember what episode had Sinclair and Garibaldi using a space urinal? It’s in S1 for sure.

Season 2 actually; Divided Loyalties. Sheridan and Garibaldi have a little bathroom tete a tete.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

Season 2 actually; Divided Loyalties. Sheridan and Garibaldi have a little bathroom tete a tete.

Maybe it happens twice, but I distinctly remember Sinclair at the Urinal.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Are you thinking of the zip/fasten thing maybe?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Pretty sure it's Babylon Squared.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Pretty sure it's Babylon Squared.

Babylon Squared has zip/fasten, but there's no bathroom scene that I can remember.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Found this, anyone know the episode?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

fadam posted:

Signs and Portents

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fadam posted:

They both saw the Pak'ma'ra leave a stall and then shared a meaningful look. :catstare:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

TKO catches a lot of flack but imo GROPOS is a lot worse. This is unbearable lol

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Finished S4 last night. As glad as I would have been if it was canceled then to have gotten a full-length episode version of the last 3 minutes of Pushing Daisies, I’m also very glad there’s a fifth season.

You could basically tell from the penultimate episode of S4 “there was the telepath War, the Drake War, and many other things I won’t get to show you because the biggest thematically thing to wrap up is Delenn and Sheridan and the Alliance.” But we really can’t wait to get proper sendoffs for G’Kar and Londo and Ivanova (I know she’s gone S5 she comes back for the real finale right?).

On to Thirdspace and ITB and then we’ll start S5.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Riven posted:

On to Thirdspace and ITB and then we’ll start S5.

Those are for the middle of S5.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
What? Every other post has said Thirdspace takes place mid S4 and ITB was explicitly written as a bridge for new viewers before S5.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Both were originally broadcast during S4. I can't think of any reason to defer them beyond that point.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yup, there's no problem at all watching them before season 5. "Middle of season 5" seems downright strange.

BlackLagoon
Jul 4, 2023

Riven posted:

What? Every other post has said Thirdspace takes place mid S4 and ITB was explicitly written as a bridge for new viewers before S5.
They were produced at the end of season 4, before season 5 had even been greenlighted. They were initially just intended to promote reruns of the series on TNT, but became part of the bigger B5 push once season 5 came about. Anyway, Thirdspace takes place somewhere around Atonement (continuity issues prevent its exact position in the series from being determined). ITB actually contains some material originally intended to be shown as flashbacks in season 4 (basically what became Atonement would have been multiple episodes), but got separated out as part of the restructuring of the season to get a more conclusive ending.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Zat posted:

Yup, there's no problem at all watching them before season 5. "Middle of season 5" seems downright strange.

Yeah. I mistook them for river of souls.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Riven posted:

Finished S4 last night. As glad as I would have been if it was canceled then to have gotten a full-length episode version of the last 3 minutes of Pushing Daisies, I’m also very glad there’s a fifth season.

the Drake War, .
I knew he had beef with Pusha T, but I didn't think it was that serious.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Alhazred posted:

I knew he had beef with Pusha T, but I didn't think it was that serious.

Nah, that was this conflict:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

tribbledirigible posted:

Nah, that was this conflict:

I understood this reference!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The movies were pretty good. I expected Thirdspace to be more actuak rubber suit monster of the week, but ended up being pretty epic. In the Beginning was fun, although left me with the question, are Minbari souls actually being reborn into human bodies, or did they literally randomly grab the only human who would read like that?

S5E1
Do you want to be president?

Yes.

Then put your hand on the book and say “I do.”

G’Kar rocks.