Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jakabite posted:

What would you call toasted bread that has gone cold out of interest??

Bird food?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean I guess you could make croutons with it

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gorn Myson posted:

That video of Starmer demonstrates that hes an intelligent man, hes someone thats capable of changing his mind. Hes so capable of it that he can do it many times with the exact same issue. It really speaks to his strength of character.

He is "successful", which is far easier to define.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m going to try it tonight and use it for my tuna sandwich tomorrow. I’ll report back.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Enjoy the poo poo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

tuna? ffs sake for gently caress

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'll post more in abit, I'm just currently arguing with chatgpt about what toast is. It's almost as frustrating as dealing with owlfancier.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

tuna? ffs sake for gently caress

I was with you on the whole "yesterday's cold toasted bread isn't proper toast" thing, but being against tuna sandwiches is making me rethink the wisdom of ever agreeing with you

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

HAHA victory

chatgpt posted:

You are correct that there are generally accepted standards and definitions for common terms, including "toast." Typically, toast refers to bread that has been heated until it is crispy and browned, which is achieved by toasting the bread. This process involves applying heat to the bread, usually resulting in warm or hot toast.

If we adhere to the conventional definition, then bread that has cooled down and is no longer warm or hot would not be considered "toast" in the traditional sense. Toast is typically enjoyed when it is freshly toasted and still warm.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What if I told you it was time and sweetcorn

with skips on the side and two fig rolls for afters

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The existence of toast racks is evidence that many people don't really care about toast being warm, as long as it's not soggy.

I'd rather it was warm but it's not a deal breaker.

If I was having it with soup or making soldiers for a soft boiled egg I'd probably rather it cold actually

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jakabite posted:

Toasted bread. But that's not the same thing as toast

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've already won the argument anyway but if you went to a cafe and looked at the menu, thought about it all, weighed your pennies and went yeah, I'll have the toast. And they gave you 12 hours ago cold toasted bread, would you recommend the place?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I still don't understand the toast the night before

Hey! Hey, guess what I'm doing right now?

That's right. I'm cooking sausages for my breakfast tomorrow. (Tesco's finest Pork and Black Pudding sausages.)

And I'm going to put it into toasted bread.

Then I'll eat it all tomorrow morning, by which stage Laurence Fox may have been brought back to court to have his bail revoked.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

toasted bread.

I'm glad you've come round

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've already won the argument anyway but if you went to a cafe and looked at the menu, thought about it all, weighed your pennies and went yeah, I'll have the toast. And they gave you 12 hours ago cold toasted bread, would you recommend the place?

I don't usually recommend cafes based on their toast tbh.

Pretty much any time I've stayed in a B&B I've gotten cold toast. It was fine. I thought about making GBS threads into my hands and clapping while screaming "THIS IS TOASTED BREAD" but then I thought nah

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

no

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Nigel Slater wrote a whole chapter in his book “Toast” about how fantastic cold hotel toast is, and I agree with him

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jakabite posted:

Stale bread

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh wow...

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1710017619175014747

:allears:

His argument is literally 'it's only racist if a white person says it.'....

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jakabite posted:

I’m going to try it tonight and use it for my tuna sandwich tomorrow. I’ll report back.

Good luck. I wish you well.

My only advice, when I toast the bread I try to keep it at a medium to low setting, since I think lightly toasted bread cools and re-heats better.

Think the sort of light brown colour and consistency you often get for toast on a hotel breakfast buffet.

I don't know how to handle tuna (I always looked at it as a meat that pretty much had to be eaten after being heated since fish is a meat that can go bad quite easily.) But I'm sure you'll know what you are doing.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the white guy not clapping as the video ends

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Oh wow...

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1710017619175014747

:allears:

His argument is literally 'it's only racist if a white person says it.'....

please don't poo poo up the thread when were discussing how some idiots dont know what toast is

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I posit that it isn’t toast, you’re right, but it’s a solid thing in its own right. I look forward to proving my thesis.

The toast is now on a plate on the kitchen side transforming slowly into whatever toast becomes after cooling

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I posit that it isn’t toast, you’re right, but it’s a solid thing in its own right. I look forward to proving my thesis.

The toast is now on a plate on the kitchen side transforming slowly into whatever toast becomes after cooling

As long as whatever you add to it tomorrow is either
A) warm or
B) bacon, lettuce, and tomato with mayo
It's toast and you're fine :)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Failed Imagineer posted:

If I was having it with soup or making soldiers for a soft boiled egg I'd probably rather it cold actually

making what

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When we eat soft-boiled eggs it's usual to toast and butter a slice of bread and then cut it into 5 lines so each one can be dipped into the soft-boiled egg due to being thin enough, and these are colloquially known as soldiers. Presumably because when originally cut they're lined up perfectly.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

You're missing out my good bro

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bel Shazar posted:

As long as whatever you add to it tomorrow is either
A) warm or
B) bacon, lettuce, and tomato with mayo
It's toast and you're fine :)

It’s going to be tuna, mayo and sweetcorn. My thinking is the crunch of the not-toast will work with the soft tuna mix. If it’s too crunchy I’m going to use the reduced to 30p sausage of pate I got today though, sort of like Melba toast but thick

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tesseraction posted:

When we eat soft-boiled eggs it's usual to toast and butter a slice of bread and then cut it into 5 lines so each one can be dipped into the soft-boiled egg due to being thin enough, and these are colloquially known as soldiers. Presumably because when originally cut they're lined up perfectly.

Oh, that makes sense. I make eggs over easy and such a lot and do basically that.

actually might have to try the lines thing, more wieldy than a full slice

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doing a few lines of toast to get meself started first thing, noice.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Toast has to be piping hot or stone cold. That inbetween bit is where the devil lives.
Related, wtf has happened with 'thick sliced' bread? Half the large brands just stopped bothering. Credit card-rear end bread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just remembered this tune with all this toast talk.

Marmalade, I like marmalade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqS-ac9lVjQ

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
at this point i've heard enough arguments about what is a sandwich/art/the north/punk rock/a rougelike/etc/etc that when i start hearing arguments about how to define things I instinctively want to jump out of a window. so i'm now saying toast is only real toast when it's between 90 and 120 minutes long and stars Paul Dano. my favourite toast is little miss sunshine

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

at this point i've heard enough arguments about what is a sandwich/art/the north/punk rock/a rougelike/etc/etc that when i start hearing arguments about how to define things I instinctively want to jump out of a window. so i'm now saying toast is only real toast when it's between 90 and 120 minutes long and stars Paul Dano. my favourite toast is little miss sunshine

I'm assuming a rougelike would be crimson?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TweetForTheMany/status/1709529196223987946

He already looks tired, and the conference hasn't even started yet. I'm looking forward to the media dragging him over the coals, not as though it'll make any difference in the long-term, but it should provide some temporary relief in the form of lols

e: Not sure if that's a recent video. But still, my main point still stands

This is recent though:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1710009845883998611

:toot:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
starmermentum
https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1710094705667567753