Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Fellatio del Toro posted:

*jedi hand wave* you will fire on one and two

loving jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

poemdexter posted:

yeah I would probably just carry a real gun just in case I have to interact with a Jedi especially after seeing thousands of my fellow soldiers die to having their lasers reflected back at them.

or I would tell my closest friends hey let’s all fire our lasers at the same time on the count of 3.

They could bring back volley fire. Hell, in the clone wars the stupid robots were already in square formations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I watched Meet Me In The Bathroom last night and it was so funny how they had all these weirdo losers in amazing bands and then you had Julian Casablancas running around rich and drunk among them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skooma512 posted:

They could bring back volley fire. Hell, in the clone wars the stupid robots were already in square formations.

i think it's that jedi are so rare that it's pointless to change tactics just for them

which is totally defeated by star wars being 100% jedi all the time now

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

LOL the writers for the Drew Barrymore show just told her that they’re not coming back.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Went to go see Hadestown this past week.

Had some class commentary and immigration commentary.

Third most C-SPAM musical after Newsies and Les Mis?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Clip-On Fedora posted:

LOL the writers for the Drew Barrymore show just told her that they’re not coming back.

that rules hahah

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Jaxyon posted:

unironically urinetown

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

i think it's that jedi are so rare that it's pointless to change tactics just for them

Firing wildly in a disorganized mob seems like bad tactics in general though?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Firing wildly in a disorganized mob seems like bad tactics in general though?

high speed tier-one specops

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

they're clones just download anti-Jedi firing patterns into their brains while they're tubed up

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

ram dass in hell posted:

unironically urinetown

Probably, but in all seriousness it's a good musical

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Star Wars is better without any jedi in it though. Something about the addition of unstoppable mind control wizards only hindered by their own melodramatic internal turmoil just takes the stakes right out of the story

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nix Panicus posted:

Star Wars is better without any jedi in it though. Something about the addition of unstoppable mind control wizards only hindered by their own melodramatic internal turmoil just takes the stakes right out of the story

There's some good stuff there but it relies on actually making the interior turmoil interesting which is hard!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
lol if you shot a gun at a Jedi it’d be even more ineffective than a laser they’d just stop the bullets mid-air like Neo in The Matrix. Like moving and stopping solid objects with their minds is their whole deal. You’d need to use like a speed-detection grenade that was set to go off if it comes to a sudden stop after it’s thrown because the Jedi “catches” it with the force. That or follow HK-47s advice and have their own troops shoot them in the back, which is funny because that game came out in 2004 while Revenge of the Sith where that’s actually what happens wouldn’t come out till 05

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

There's some good stuff there but it relies on actually making the interior turmoil interesting which is hard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EjWbb8aYpI

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you could totally kill Yoda with a slingshot. right between the eyes. never see it coming.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
If Luke’s trigger finger had been an ounce twitchier when he pulled his gun on Yoda in Empire, he’d still be looking for Yoda today wondering if maybe he should have asked that frog man for directions before he blasted him.

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Ammanas posted:

the thing about the 'its for kids' line is while that may be true for the original movies too it clearly held crossgenerational appeal. adults saw the gently caress out of a new hope. so ok its for kids (it clearly is not) - it can still be good

Are kids even into this slop or is it gen x parents forcing this garbage onto them?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zoodpipe posted:

Are kids even into this slop or is it gen x parents forcing this garbage onto them?

I know several older Zoomers who love Star Wars because they loved the prequels as kids and got into the originals as they got older. And Gen X’rs hated the prequels the most so they definitely weren’t forcing it on them. And the Zoomers seem to dislike the Disney era as much as Millennials do. Can’t say as much about the younger ones though, are kids in middle school even Zoomers anymore? I think they’re “Gen Alpha” or something stupid.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a zoomer, solemnly, awe-struck: now this is pod racing

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Brands must end

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'd kill a Jedi by running him over with my car.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

a zoomer, solemnly, awe-struck: now this is pod racing

pod racing fuckin ruled and still fuckin rules. wish i could pod race. the n64 game fuckin rules too. top tier sound design and direction.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lucas is weird bc he has the right instincts, adding in old cinematic setpieces like chariot races, the Dam Busters finale, samurai duels, etc etc and remixing them in a way that feels new again, but then seems to lack any interest in doing anything interesting or dynamic visually.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Lucas is weird bc he has the right instincts, adding in old cinematic setpieces like chariot races, the Dam Busters finale, samurai duels, etc etc and remixing them in a way that feels new again, but then seems to lack any interest in doing anything interesting or dynamic visually.

for all rotjs directorial faults the death star 2 space battle is loving fire. marquand (or whichever AD) loving nailed the poo poo outta that sequence. shame we never really got another space battle in all of the star wars media since then. rogue one got close tho

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Jaxyon posted:

It's a musical about how the left is addicted to losing so yeah, pretty C-SPAM

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ammanas posted:

for all rotjs directorial faults the death star 2 space battle is loving fire. marquand (or whichever AD) loving nailed the poo poo outta that sequence. shame we never really got another space battle in all of the star wars media since then. rogue one got close tho

Not just in Star Wars but movies period. No one has ever been able to replicate Endor’s sense of movement, geography, perspective, and tempo. At all times the audience knows where everyone and everything is, where they are in relation to each other, their speed and movement in relation to everything else, who’s winning the battle at what time and by how much, and this is all done completely visually. You could remove every line of dialogue from the sequence and it would remain completely comprehensible. No other sci-fi movie or show has been able to pull that off at that scale with two big fleets. Every other great space battle had to scale it down like Trek 2&6 being one on one submarine duels to stay good, everything else that tried to have massive fleets was garbage. Like the rise of Skywalkers space battle was embarrassingly awful, just a swarm of gnats around a bunch of static immobile background elements that might as well be from the skybox of a PS1 game.
Legend has it Lucas shadow directed pretty much all of the battle of Hoth and the Endor Space battle, and honestly I can believe it because the podrace has that exact same visual style. Say what you will about his other talents but the man knows how to make the spaceships go zoom.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's funny how Return of the Jedi used to be "the bad Star Wars movie" and now there's like 100 Star Wars movies that are 100 times worse

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Ammanas posted:

pod racing fuckin ruled and still fuckin rules. wish i could pod race. the n64 game fuckin rules too. top tier sound design and direction.

the original trilogy and prequels have great sound design and I can easily think of great effects from them, and nothing of the sort comes to mind from the Disney stuff. never realized that before

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Poor Things looks like poo poo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wheel of time season 2 is now complete if anyone was waiting to binge it. the finale's an 8/10

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

movies and tv shows overusing their songs have made me hate the Beastie Boys

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

galagazombie posted:

lol if you shot a gun at a Jedi it’d be even more ineffective than a laser they’d just stop the bullets mid-air like Neo in The Matrix. Like moving and stopping solid objects with their minds is their whole deal. You’d need to use like a speed-detection grenade that was set to go off if it comes to a sudden stop after it’s thrown because the Jedi “catches” it with the force. That or follow HK-47s advice and have their own troops shoot them in the back, which is funny because that game came out in 2004 while Revenge of the Sith where that’s actually what happens wouldn’t come out till 05

Slugs (star wars for bullets) are actually effective vs jedi because they can't be parried with a lightsaber. Cutting a bullet in half just gets you shot twice.
According to the old lore, this is how Mandalorian fought Jedi

Clip-On Fedora posted:

How stupid did they make Grand Admiral Thrawn?

Half and half. He does a lot of "we don't have a lot of people, just send one or two to bother them while we run out the clock." but then when they're all killed and no clock has been run out he twirls his moustache and nods along "all according to plan".
But he also seems to know he's in a star wars show and will try to overkill them with lasers from the giant ship because jedi heroics are bullshit, but there's no overcomming the plot armor.

The show I thought was really bad but the kintsugi Stormtroopers were rad as hell.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

How stupid did they make Grand Admiral Thrawn?

why does this guy look like Colloidal Silver Elon Musk

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

galagazombie posted:

Not just in Star Wars but movies period. No one has ever been able to replicate Endor’s sense of movement, geography, perspective, and tempo. At all times the audience knows where everyone and everything is, where they are in relation to each other, their speed and movement in relation to everything else, who’s winning the battle at what time and by how much, and this is all done completely visually. You could remove every line of dialogue from the sequence and it would remain completely comprehensible. No other sci-fi movie or show has been able to pull that off at that scale with two big fleets. Every other great space battle had to scale it down like Trek 2&6 being one on one submarine duels to stay good, everything else that tried to have massive fleets was garbage. Like the rise of Skywalkers space battle was embarrassingly awful, just a swarm of gnats around a bunch of static immobile background elements that might as well be from the skybox of a PS1 game.
Legend has it Lucas shadow directed pretty much all of the battle of Hoth and the Endor Space battle, and honestly I can believe it because the podrace has that exact same visual style. Say what you will about his other talents but the man knows how to make the spaceships go zoom.

great post, totally agree. you could be right about Lucas directly the space battle, the ANH trench run was pretty great for its time. im gonna watch the endor space battle instead of working

HootTheOwl posted:

The show I thought was really bad but the kintsugi Stormtroopers were rad as hell.

i havent seen the last ep but the fight against the three good guys by the red tape stormtroopers was impotent, why were they cool? did they do something besides gently caress around and get beat up like mooks?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

why does this guy look like Colloidal Silver Elon Musk

god this is exactly right. looked comically stupid.

i dont remember the heir to the empire thrawn books, what did thrawn ever do that was so masterful and brilliant?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Ammanas posted:

i dont remember the heir to the empire thrawn books, what did thrawn ever do that was so masterful and brilliant?

he could look at a specie's artwork and figure out how to defeat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

he could look at a specie's artwork and figure out how to defeat them

yeah i remember the art thing. that made me remember the noghri he subjugated and made his personal slave guards/assassins right. anything else?

also noghri kinda sounds like a twisted n-word. hmm.