Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s also pretty easy to return on Amazon if it’s not quite what you want :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ok Comboomer posted:

This question is much better suited for the Dork Room, but as far as I remember photo scanning tech has more or less plateaued over the past decade or so, so there’s a lot of options out there on the new and used market

In general anything Epson/Canon/etc in the $500+ range is gonna be way higher quality and probably better to use over hundreds-to-thousands of photos than these inexpensive mass market scanner dealies.

There are nice Epsons/etc with the form factor that you posted, but a flatbed will allow you to more easily scan photos of various sizes and with creases/bends/folded corners/etc, as well as various caddies for scanning negatives. Plus you can save a chunk of coin on a really high quality scanning device by picking up an aspiring/working photographer’s old flatbed.

Ultimately it’s a question of your money and space budget, how many photos/negatives/etc you have to scan, and how important the quality of those final scans is to you.

Completely forgot about the Dorkroom, will drop in there as well. Great feedback, makes a lot of sense. I have to agree with our psychedelic hedgehog here, the best scan is the one that is actually made. 99% of these will be looked at on a screen and that's it, rarely used for anything printed but even then, if it's passable quality would be good enough being an old photograph.

Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah just caveat emptor: a lot of those cheap scanners, especially the gravity fed ones without any kind of loading/scanning mechanism, can quickly become tiring, frustrating junk if you’re scanning more than like maybe a couple dozen photos

Definitely look at some reviews/YouTubes of anything that you consider buying

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 1, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah just caveat emptor: a lot of those cheap scanners, especially the gravity fed ones without any kind of loading/scanning mechanism, can quickly become tiring, frustrating junk if you’re scanning more than like maybe a couple dozen photos

Definitely look at some reviews/YouTubes of anything that you consider buying

I am highly unlikely to buy one of those no name ones, was moreso posting the style of scanner than the brand. I would consider paying up for the $500-600 Epson one or similar if it'll hit all those requirements with fair enough quality. I'd likely pay way more than that to outsource it anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I am highly unlikely to buy one of those no name ones, was moreso posting the style of scanner than the brand. I would consider paying up for the $500-600 Epson one or similar if it'll hit all those requirements with fair enough quality. I'd likely pay way more than that to outsource it anyway.

your phone/tablet can do a surprising amount of image scanning and processing these days, especially with the right app+hardware combo.

It’s not hard to Jerry-rig up a scanning rig, or buy one from Amazon etc for <<$100

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

your phone/tablet can do a surprising amount of image scanning and processing these days, especially with the right app+hardware combo.

It’s not hard to Jerry-rig up a scanning rig, or buy one from Amazon etc for <<$100

(Spread your photos out on the floor, take a few photos with your phone of like 12 at a time, double check the photos all useable in a worst-case scenario, then send them to a digitizer to have it done by someone else because it's a nightmare job and a huge PITA)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

lol, I thought I deleted that edit from the original post. Guess not

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fruits of the sea posted:

I mean, a steam deck seems ideal for exactly this use case.

The Lenovo looks nice though. The things you should keep in mind are noise, battery life and size. If you find any of those are bugging you, then you should seriously reconsider getting a handheld device instead.

I wouldn't suggest going cheaper. The three criteria I mentioned above, plus durability, are only going to get worse as you go down in price.

The environmentalist in me encourages you to return or donate every single product you don't need.

It's actually quite a powerful little laptop. I'm thankfully not too fussed about noise levels, but I haven't properly tested it with anything heavy duty enough to cause the fans to speed up. I also plan on keeping it plugged in near-constantly and size isn't a concern. It's already paying for itself, gives me something to unwind with after a day spent exploring the city.

If this ends up being a purchase I barely utilize, I'll sell it at a discounted price back home so at least someone can enjoy it properly.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 2, 2023

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm trying to find a small Bluetooth xbox-style game controller that I can move back and forth between my phone and other PCs/devices so I can play XBox cloud games while traveling without having to drag around a full Xbox controller.
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm thinking something that fits in my pocket without too much bulk.

Am I wrong that there's a keyboard thread and a mouse thread but no generic accessories thread?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

tadashi posted:

I'm trying to find a small Bluetooth xbox-style game controller that I can move back and forth between my phone and other PCs/devices so I can play XBox cloud games while traveling without having to drag around a full Xbox controller.
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm thinking something that fits in my pocket without too much bulk.

Am I wrong that there's a keyboard thread and a mouse thread but no generic accessories thread?

8bitdodododododo

find the one that fits the size/form factor that you like. I have one of the SNES-shaped dual analog ones and it rocks, fits in a backpack pocket, etc, but they have even smaller and more travel-friendly ones now

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

tadashi posted:

There's like a DIY arcade stick thread but other than that I'm not sure:

I'd probably look at one of the 8bitdo options since the stuff I've gotten from them has been really solid:
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Gamepad-Raspberry-Turquoise-Gaming-Console/dp/B0B3DH1Z4P/
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Joysticks-Vibration-Compatible/dp/B091CRKWFJ/
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Switch-Raspberry-Nintendo/dp/B08FSZWHX6/

They cost a little more than the competition but seem to be a good choice for bluetooth stuff.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

tadashi posted:

If you are willing to wait a couple months (depending on where you are located) for shipping, you might be able to get a pretty good deal on GameSir controller from AliExpress. They have a bunch of options, including more direct XBox controller knockoffs.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have a ton of use cables. I wanna sort which ones are usb 1 and usb2. I assume blue plug ones (with a few exceptions) are usb3

On Amazon I see a bunch of usb testers but they say they measure power and not speed. Do the two go hand in hand? Will a certain power level be able to sort between usb1 and usb2?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Steve Yun posted:

I have a ton of use cables. I wanna sort which ones are usb 1 and usb2. I assume blue plug ones (with a few exceptions) are usb3

On Amazon I see a bunch of usb testers but they say they measure power and not speed. Do the two go hand in hand? Will a certain power level be able to sort between usb1 and usb2?

You probably don't have any USB 1.x cables unless they're 20+ years old. They would all be A to B style cables as well, no micro or mini plugs. You rarely see them these days beyond printers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Power testers are really just to see the power consumption of a USB device usually, so you can see what a USB charger or device is doing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rexxed posted:

You probably don't have any USB 1.x cables unless they're 20+ years old.

I’m old and a lot of these might actually be 20 years old

I guess I could just do file transfers on them and see which ones are slow?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly do you actually need them? Like if they are that old you are better off just keeping a few and recycling the rest.

Unless you really need a project to do then have at it!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah you’re probably right

RIP, cords that have been collecting dust for two decades

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Steve Yun posted:

I’m old and a lot of these might actually be 20 years old

I guess I could just do file transfers on them and see which ones are slow?

It's possible USB 1 cables will work as USB 2 cables due to having the same four conductors, I'm actually not sure if there was a wire gauge change between them. I'm also not sure how you could do file transfers with them without using a device that handles USB-B input which itself is maybe a bit antiquated. I had an old smart media flash card reader (for my early 2000s mp3 player) that would do that, but those cards were like 16, 32, 64MB and it wasn't that quick to write to them, so the device itself was probably pretty slow regardless of what USB protocol it used.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't think there is any difference between usb 1 and usb 2 cables. Like they don't have any electronics in them, it's the same number of wires, the same connectors. How the hell are they going to differ unless defective.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't think there is any difference between usb 1 and usb 2 cables. Like they don't have any electronics in them, it's the same number of wires, the same connectors. How the hell are they going to differ unless defective.

One of the chronic problems with USB is that, at a glance, you can't tell what properties a particular cable or port has. Yeah, on the computer side the color of the port helps, but once you get into cables and other devices then poo poo gets stupid. Like cables that only transfer power, and no data. Even with USB-C a lot of cables will transfer power at USB 3.x levels but only transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds. The USB consortium or whatever they're called have rolled out new labeling symbols and standards, but that doesn't help the weird mishmash of cables already out there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One of the chronic problems with USB is that, at a glance, you can't tell what properties a particular cable or port has. Yeah, on the computer side the color of the port helps, but once you get into cables and other devices then poo poo gets stupid. Like cables that only transfer power, and no data. Even with USB-C a lot of cables will transfer power at USB 3.x levels but only transfer data at USB 2.0 speeds. The USB consortium or whatever they're called have rolled out new labeling symbols and standards, but that doesn't help the weird mishmash of cables already out there.

This guy is an apple lawyer c'mon admit it coward

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

It’s hella true and so drat frustrating though

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

:rubby:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

USB-C stops being so much fun once you start to need thunderbolt cables. The port 'should' be labeled with a little lightning bolt, but I just checked and neither my cable nor my laptop have it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

poo poo I just assumed that meant "this is the preferred charging/dock port"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Long shot, but does anyone in the Los Angeles area have a working Zip drive?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why do motherboard manufacturers insist on having those awful, piddly little HDD LED / Power SW / Reset connectors? It wrecks my fingers and almost rubs them raw every time I have to assemble them, and it takes the longest amount of time compared to everything else. I've just spent 30 minutes playing Operation on these stupid connectors when the rest of the build took less time.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Qubee posted:

Why do motherboard manufacturers insist on having those awful, piddly little HDD LED / Power SW / Reset connectors? It wrecks my fingers and almost rubs them raw every time I have to assemble them, and it takes the longest amount of time compared to everything else. I've just spent 30 minutes playing Operation on these stupid connectors when the rest of the build took less time.

Yeah, it's kind of terrible. Aside from getting the backplate in it's one of the most annoying parts of a build. The ASUS board for my 4th gen system had a header you plugged the cables into, then you plugged that onto the board so it was easier to do and it made a lot of sense. I'm sure it cost 3 cents to include that passthrough pin header so I haven't seen one since. They could totally still do it, though.

I think they do it because it's compatible with all cases, and all cases are made that way to be compatible with the motherboards. Before ATX soft power switches, AT form factor systems physically turned the power supply on and off so it was a bit different. Front panel was mostly a lock switch (rarely used), maybe a power LED header, HD activity (if you had an onboard disk controller) and sometimes a turbo button.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Qubee posted:

Simple, cheap, effective design that guarantees compatibility. Sorry about your trash dexterity :nerdsay:

But for real I get it. I actually pride myself on how good I've gotten at assembly but I hate it too. There is absolutely no reason for case manufacturers to spend more (margins are real tight), but no reason they couldn't (literally any other 6/8 pin connector could work).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, it's kind of terrible. Aside from getting the backplate in it's one of the most annoying parts of a build. The ASUS board for my 4th gen system had a header you plugged the cables into, then you plugged that onto the board so it was easier to do and it made a lot of sense. I'm sure it cost 3 cents to include that passthrough pin header so I haven't seen one since. They could totally still do it, though.

I'm pretty sure I've had those cartridge things from Gigabyte, too - they are indeed really handy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The motherboard manufacturers and case manufacturers definitely need to get together and work up a standard connector for front panels. They should bring the power supply companies along too so they can agree on standard connectors for removable PSU cables.

This won't happen anytime soon because it requires spinning up a standards group to avoid running afoul of competition law and because large manufacturers of prebuilts will just ignore the standard in favor of whatever cheap-rear end solution cuts 0.25¢ per unit off their systems.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Motherboard manufacturers should agree on a standard PIN order on the traditional header. This shouldn't really matter to them since the header plug is so rare, at most they would change during the design step. Alibaba can then sell the plugs. If this standard became widespread it might then be worth it to include the plug with cases.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think there is a standard now? the case i got recently-ish has the front panel stuff in one solid connector which assumes a specific layout on the motherboard side, rather than the bundle of individual connectors you used to get

Qubee
May 31, 2013

down1nit posted:

Simple, cheap, effective design that guarantees compatibility. Sorry about your trash dexterity :nerdsay:

But for real I get it. I actually pride myself on how good I've gotten at assembly but I hate it too. There is absolutely no reason for case manufacturers to spend more (margins are real tight), but no reason they couldn't (literally any other 6/8 pin connector could work).

That's the thing, I'm a dextrous bastard and I get my hands to contort into all sorts of unnatural shapes, because I always - without fail - forget about these stupid tiny pin connectors until after I've assembled everything. Then I have to play the game of "cram your fat hand into this tiny crevice whilst simultaneously maneuvering a tiny loving connector onto a tiny loving pin but oops your fat thumb is pressing against the case body and your finger knuckles are crushing against the GPU" the fact I even manage to brute force the impossible odds and land the connectors is something that should be written into the history books.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Top of yall's head, what's the best prebuilt pc for playing games right now? I'm looking for one with a 4080 that runs quiet. Or at least as quiet as a top of the line pc can.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shard posted:

Top of yall's head, what's the best prebuilt pc for playing games right now? I'm looking for one with a 4080 that runs quiet. Or at least as quiet as a top of the line pc can.

Top of the line PCs would run more quiet than a worse PC, having high top end wattage doesn't make them more noisey. Check gamers nexus YouTube they review prebuilts often.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this bad, and can it be fixed? Monitor is out of warranty.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Make some glasses out of the film and have an incognito monitor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if my phone came with a 120w "fast" charger, can I use that for any other device with a USB-C and it'll charge it without damaging the device, even if it doesn't support fast charging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yep, the devices should limit charger draw on their own.