Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Ends rules the more and more I think about it, which has been basically weekly since release. Top 3 Halloween film ever for me at this point, definitely not ruling out it climbing higher and surpassing either the original or Season of the Witch both

By god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I also loved it, whole trilogy is rad. The dream logic weird town murder fest of Ends reminds me of a good giallo movie in some ways. My jam.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Hausu Usher posted:

Ellen Ripley, Laurie Strode, Annie Wilkes.

What's some of your most influential women characters (or performances) in horror?

Unfortunately not influential enough but a personal favorite will always be Lady Sylvia Marsh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Halloween Ends is still in the top 3 of the decade for me

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I have no hot Halloween takes other than that I know, deep in my heart, that if an 80s horror movie had an angry crowd chanting 'evil dies tonight', I would have eaten that poo poo up and proclaimed it to be brilliant, and I'm just lying to myself when I say I didn't like it in the reboot movies.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Watched Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Cure and I think I like this more than Pulse. Pulse is one I think has great ideas and respect that it’s made, but I find it tiring to watch as it can drag some outside of some of the fantastic ghost scenes.

But Cure is a more familiar detective/murder plot in the family or silence of the lambs and Se7en. The whole hypnosis angle could feel goofy, but the direction and shots give it all this apprehensive atmosphere. No one feels happy and you can believe there’s an underlying anger in all the people that is just waiting on the occult weirdness to come out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it’s giving the “dead by dawn” bit in Evil Dead Rise

Crucial difference is the rest of Evil Dead Rise was fantastic, the rest of DGG's Halloweens were bad.

If we're doing real spicy Halloween takes, one I earnestly believe: Rob Zombie did a better job with Halloween than DGG.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rob Zombies Halloween is half a great movie and half a mediocre remake. But the first half is pretty good. I also think Mane is the scariest Michael Myers.

2 is better

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
rob zombie movies are all half a great movie, and that movie is texas chainsaw massacre 2

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cure is GOAT and the right comparison is something like Memories of Murder because Se7en and Silence of the Lambs suck and are not on the GOAT level.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

Watched Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Cure and I think I like this more than Pulse. Pulse is one I think has great ideas and respect that it’s made, but I find it tiring to watch as it can drag some outside of some of the fantastic ghost scenes.

But Cure is a more familiar detective/murder plot in the family or silence of the lambs and Se7en. The whole hypnosis angle could feel goofy, but the direction and shots give it all this apprehensive atmosphere. No one feels happy and you can believe there’s an underlying anger in all the people that is just waiting on the occult weirdness to come out.

yeah both movies did a number on my brain but I think I give Cure the edge as well, i rewatched it recently after not fully getting it the first time and it blew my mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

rob zombie movies are all half a great movie, and that movie is texas chainsaw massacre 2

Lords of Salem is 100% great and 0% TCM 2

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just finished the Angry Black Girl and Her Monster and holy loving poo poo that was good!

That’s all I got. Just so loving good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Lords of Salem is 100% great and 0% TCM 2

Lords of Salem is Rosemary's Baby meets Altered States and that is such a sick combo i never knew i wanted

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I just finished the Angry Black Girl and Her Monster and holy loving poo poo that was good!

That’s all I got. Just so loving good.

Yeah this year has been real good for takes on the Frankenstein story. This, Birth/Rebirth, and Poor Things coming soon :getin:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching a South African movie called The Lullaby for the month challenge, and in the first five minutes they've introduced the concept of snapping the necks of concentration camp babies produced by rape and then throwing them off a cliff. In the first ten minutes, a woman is singing a lullaby about snapping baby necks and then stomping on their heads. I don't by any stretch consider myself a prude but, uhh, Jesus Christ, movie, this is how we're starting off?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'm watching a South African movie called The Lullaby for the month challenge, and in the first five minutes they've introduced the concept of snapping the necks of concentration camp babies produced by rape and then throwing them off a cliff. In the first ten minutes, a woman is singing a lullaby about snapping baby necks and then stomping on their heads. I don't by any stretch consider myself a prude but, uhh, Jesus Christ, movie, this is how we're starting off?

The director also did Dracula 3000, does that make this better or worse?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

The director also did Dracula 3000, does that make this better or worse?

Well that certainly clarifies a couple things I was wondering about.

[Edit: It is, so far, better than Dracula 3000]

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Re: women characters in horror. The standout for me is always Nancy in NOES because she seems real, in that she isn’t pinned down to a cliche like lot of characters are. She isn’t a bookworm shy type like Laurie, she isn’t tough like the weightlifting girl in part 4, she’s just… a seemingly average girl, with friends she cares about, a boyfriend who’s a bit dense, and a hosed up home life like a lot of people have that made her a bit more serious and responsible than her friends. And when the poo poo hits the fan, she first seeks help from people who don’t take her seriously, so she figures poo poo out on her own and turns out to be smart and resourceful. Laurie, most of the F13th survivors, Sally from TCM, and a ton of other final girls end up running and hiding before they’re backed into a corner and forced to defend themselves to survive. Nancy actually forms a plan and goes on the attack. That’s become way more common now, but it feels refreshing for the time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

6: No-one Will Save You :spooky: Horror Adjacent/New to Me(5/6):spooky:

Finally, someone dares to ask "what if we made Signs but just the good parts?"
I liked this a lot, very cool alien designs and a reply neat take on things

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Origami Dali posted:

Re: women characters in horror. The standout for me is always Nancy in NOES because she seems real, in that she isn’t pinned down to a cliche like lot of characters are. She isn’t a bookworm shy type like Laurie, she isn’t tough like the weightlifting girl in part 4, she’s just… a seemingly average girl, with friends she cares about, a boyfriend who’s a bit dense, and a hosed up home life like a lot of people have that made her a bit more serious and responsible than her friends. And when the poo poo hits the fan, she first seeks help from people who don’t take her seriously, so she figures poo poo out on her own and turns out to be smart and resourceful. Laurie, most of the F13th survivors, Sally from TCM, and a ton of other final girls end up running and hiding before they’re backed into a corner and forced to defend themselves to survive. Nancy actually forms a plan and goes on the attack. That’s become way more common now, but it feels refreshing for the time.

Yeah this was kind of why I like Nancy as well. She makes a plan and executes it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh god, there's one more thing I forgot to mention about Satanic Panic. OK, so the movie ends with the hero quitting her job to follow her dream of moving to Australia, with the last shot being her riding her scooter out of the city, with the visual implication being that she intends to ride her scooter from Dallas to Australia. But there's one more aspect of that scene that I forgot to mention. Near the end of the movie she rescues a little bunny. And she is carrying it in her jacket on her final shot triumphant ride to Australia. She's going to try to move to Australia, taking a rabbit with her.

loving hell, what a lovely movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i support women’s rights, but i also support women’s wrongs (Barbara Crampton in From Beyond)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i support women’s rights, but i also support women’s wrongs (Barbara Crampton in From Beyond)

She didn't do anything wrong in that though :question:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lords of Salem is Rosemary's Baby meets Altered States and that is such a sick combo i never knew i wanted

There's also exactly one baby's worth of Possession in it and goddamn.

It's beyond frustrating that he went right back to sweaty carnie horror after demonstrating that he can do better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

oh god, there's one more thing I forgot to mention about Satanic Panic. OK, so the movie ends with the hero quitting her job to follow her dream of moving to Australia, with the last shot being her riding her scooter out of the city, with the visual implication being that she intends to ride her scooter from Dallas to Australia. But there's one more aspect of that scene that I forgot to mention. Near the end of the movie she rescues a little bunny. And she is carrying it in her jacket on her final shot triumphant ride to Australia. She's going to try to move to Australia, taking a rabbit with her.

loving hell, what a lovely movie.

Okay?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rabbits are an Insanely invasive species in Australia

to wit,

quote:

Since their introduction from Europe in the 19th century, the effect of rabbits on the ecology of Australia has been devastating. They are suspected of being the most significant known factor in species loss in Australia.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only know a handful of things about Australia like that It’s mad max land, Crocodile Dundee is from there. And people say crickey

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
picnic at hanging rock was made there, that is a good movie

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I only know a handful of things about Australia like that It’s mad max land, Crocodile Dundee is from there. And people say crickey

They have a swimming pool named after a Prime Minister who got washed out to sea and was never seen again

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
They put small pastries on dolls.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Slotherhouse is amazing

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was gonna try to do a personal challenge of 20 new to me movies for the spooktober thread but man i aint going to no bullshit other forum to participate. I read three forums on this dead gay site and i aint adding more now!!!

Having a lot of trouble getting into History of the Occult. Movie just isn’t giving me any reason to care about these jabronis.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

I was gonna try to do a personal challenge of 20 new to me movies for the spooktober thread but man i aint going to no bullshit other forum to participate. I read three forums on this dead gay site and i aint adding more now!!!

Having a lot of trouble getting into History of the Occult. Movie just isn’t giving me any reason to care about these jabronis.

shameful witch like behavior.

Hollis!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just started Next Of Kin (1982, Australia) on Tubi and this movie already goes so loving hard on vibes like 2 minutes in, holy poo poo.

thanks for the tip; added it to the watchlist.

aussie horror rules. the nation is full of actual poison-dripping monsters and cheery psychopaths, it's ripe for horror

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Happy new VHS day!!!

I chucked it on this morning and got distracted by responsibilities so I’m gonna give it a proper watch in a day or two but it looks like there’s some good stuff

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Phy posted:

They have a swimming pool named after a Prime Minister who got washed out to sea and was never seen again

I live near the pool in question!

The scariest thing to me about the US is the lack of electric kettles

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I live near the pool in question!

The scariest thing to me about the US is the lack of electric kettles

I went to Japan, experienced the electric kettle and bought one immediately when I got back. Also an attachable bidet. Us Americans really are a bunch of hooting pigs with doodoo rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

Here's a primer on Australian culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc