Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has there ever, ever, been a transforming mobile suit that didn't look like somebody threw a toy against a wall and then tried to reattach all the pieces in a jumbled mess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Has there ever, ever, been a transforming mobile suit that didn't look like somebody threw a toy against a wall and then tried to reattach all the pieces in a jumbled mess?

There have been a few. If you mean in SEED in particular I think Gaia Gundam is the only one I can think of.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
It's hilarious how the Force Impulse is the best looking mobile suit in that line up but I like the new Gelgoog. The Rising Freedom (at least how the Gunpla of it looks) grew on me too.

Everything else though... eh...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

MechaX posted:

It's hilarious how the Force Impulse is the best looking mobile suit in that line up

The Impulse is the best looking Mobile Suit in most line ups. It's an extremely good Gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Give that thing a yellow face with guns sticking out of the mouth and we'll talk.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arc Hammer posted:

The Loto from Unicorn looks pretty neat.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i actually think the zeta gundam isn't that bad on that front

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

It's hilarious how the Force Impulse is the best looking mobile suit in that line up but I like the new Gelgoog. The Rising Freedom (at least how the Gunpla of it looks) grew on me too.

Everything else though... eh...

The Rising Freedom looks better in animation at least. The face looks more Zetaish in the trailer compared to the weird look it has in the art.

The Immortal Justice just looks weird to me even in the animation. I'm not sure what it is but it feels too flat. The Gyan is just weird especially if it's supposed to be Shin's suit.

I wonder what even is the deal with the Spec 2. It doesn't appear to be Lunamaria's or Shin's.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

The Rising Freedom looks better in animation at least. The face looks more Zetaish in the trailer compared to the weird look it has in the art.

The Immortal Justice just looks weird to me even in the animation. I'm not sure what it is but it feels too flat. The Gyan is just weird especially if it's supposed to be Shin's suit.

I wonder what even is the deal with the Spec 2. It doesn't appear to be Lunamaria's or Shin's.

If those plot leaks from last month turn up being accurate (which at this point... there's some stuff that did turn out true): Shinn pilots the Immortal Justice because Athrun is too busy being a super spy offscreen until later in the movie. The Spec 2 wasn't mentioned so I dunno what its deal is either but allegedly Shinn shows up later in the Destiny to help deliver something to Athrun and the new Infinite Justice variant that Athrun gets later on.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

This looks...not great? Animation and CGI quality looks like a step down from Hathaway or even Doan's Island.

There's more going on with the mobile suit action in this trailer than in the entire movie of Hathaway.

2d wise a movie with a cartoony style, specifically based on an early 2000's aesthetic wasn't ever going to match a movie deliberately going for hyper-realism with it's characters and settings

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

If those plot leaks from last month turn up being accurate (which at this point... there's some stuff that did turn out true): Shinn pilots the Immortal Justice because Athrun is too busy being a super spy offscreen until later in the movie. The Spec 2 wasn't mentioned so I dunno what its deal is either but allegedly Shinn shows up later in the Destiny to help deliver something to Athrun and the new Infinite Justice variant that Athrun gets later on.

That would seem to track with the trailer. Makes a Nu Freedom seem more likely too

Also betting the new Justice and Freedom are non nuclear

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 5, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Also betting the new Justice and Freedom are non nuclear

Wouldn't they be Hyper Deuterium?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
double anti-neutron jammer canceler canceler. only available to the most patriotically named mobile suits

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Seedgoog's bared midriff is kinda hilarious to me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh my god the new suits are named Shiva and Rudra Excuse me, they're named Shi-ve.a and Rud-ro.a.

That is some SEED-rear end naming.

Edit:

Immortal Justice gets an MA mode too.

Worse than the Savior in every way.

Arc Hammer posted:

Delta Plus/Kai, Zeta, ReZEL... from SEED in particular, Savior and Murasame. General rule of thumb is how far does it deviate from something that looks like an airplane. "If it looks right, it flies right."

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It's 100% the nostalgia talking but I will always think Wing Gundam is badass.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Gyamamoto11/status/1709781482838147445

I thought the Freedom Gundam reminded me of Zeta

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 5, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
These plane modes suck but at least Ugly Gyan is redeemed by having that loving laser buzzsaw.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

https://twitter.com/xxnike0629xx/status/1709618357308158463?s=46

Guess this is also the loser jobber squad other MS Daniel Harper and the rest of those clowns ride in

I really hope the bottom row combines into a giant mech for dumb reasons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Arios Gundam looks fairly OK - it does have a lot of kibble in its mobile suit form, but it's largely of the sort that can be justified as extra manoeuvring thrusters.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The zeta looks good in both modes, but it had to have a super complicated transformation for it to work. This caused the gunpla designers headaches for years.

The Asshimar also looks pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Was Seed the first show that had Gundams which could fly long distances in atmosphere because they had wings? The Wing Gundam in Wing had Wings, but iirc it still needed to transform to actually fly more than just doing a big jump.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did the Victory Gundams not do it in part because they were so light and small

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Victory has not wings.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Victory Gundams basically have a gravity drive

The first CE Gundams that could fly long distance were Freedom and Justice, more because they had limitless power than wings

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Was Seed the first show that had Gundams which could fly long distances in atmosphere because they had wings? The Wing Gundam in Wing had Wings, but iirc it still needed to transform to actually fly more than just doing a big jump.

Weirdly enough SEED didn't have that. The Gundams in SEED couldn't fly long distances unaided in atmosphere. The Aile Strike Gundam actually was a Big Jump machine in atmosphere where it could use its thrusters to hover or maneuvere but had to land eventually (which comes up in a couple of battles) and the other Gundams had to use subflight lifters or MA modes. The Freedom, Dinn and Forbidden were all capable of air combat but couldn't fly long distances in atmosphere unaided. (This is part of why Justice has a built-in subflight lifter so it *can* do that.)

Even in those cases the Dinn is explicitly super-light and basically made of tissue paper, the Freedom has near-limitless energy and Forbidden's limits didn't matter because its pilot would run out of drugs before it became relevant.

In Destiny though yeah everything just flies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

Weirdly enough SEED didn't have that. The Gundams in SEED couldn't fly long distances unaided in atmosphere. The Aile Strike Gundam actually was a Big Jump machine in atmosphere where it could use its thrusters to hover or maneuvere but had to land eventually (which comes up in a couple of battles) and the other Gundams had to use subflight lifters or MA modes. The Freedom, Dinn and Forbidden were all capable of air combat but couldn't fly long distances in atmosphere unaided. (This is part of why Justice has a built-in subflight lifter so it *can* do that.)

Even in those cases the Dinn is explicitly super-light and basically made of tissue paper, the Freedom has near-limitless energy and Forbidden's limits didn't matter because its pilot would run out of drugs before it became relevant.

In Destiny though yeah everything just flies.

That makes sense, I guess I was thinking of stuff like Freedom's airborne King Kong act, which was in Destiny.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

Wing Zero flew through space and into the atmosphere with the angel wings in Endless Waltz.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That makes sense, I guess I was thinking of stuff like Freedom's airborne King Kong act, which was in Destiny.

Yeah by Destiny they either just forgot or mumblemumble'd offscreen upgrade.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Freedom is essentially flying on mumblemumble as well, it's wings are in no way oriented such that they'd do anything. That HiMAT makes that even worse, you'd think it was deliberate, even.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really hope the bottom row combines into a giant mech for dumb reasons.

https://twitter.com/moke_oji3/status/1709752575631978737?s=46

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Victory Gundams basically have a gravity drive

The first CE Gundams that could fly long distance were Freedom and Justice, more because they had limitless power than wings

Which I admittedly chafe at because limitless power does not mean limitless reactant mass. Those things are still closed-cycle engines and the Freedumb is going to run out of propellant at some point. Surely. Any minute now.

The best thing to come out of new Freedom's mobile armor mode is a slurry of gunpla pages I follow are all posting kitbashes of existing Freedom kits with transformations. A lot of wish.com Wing Zeros out there right now.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Arc Hammer posted:

Baund Doc. Gotta love a mobile suit that yoga stretches into a horseshoe crab

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Gabthley is perfect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Gabthley is perfect.

In that it looks like a literal heap of poo poo in both forms, yes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's beautiful

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Which I admittedly chafe at because limitless power does not mean limitless reactant mass. Those things are still closed-cycle engines and the Freedumb is going to run out of propellant at some point. Surely. Any minute now.

It's not realistic but I'm pretty certain CE is internally consistent about it from beginning to end, it's all about power generation and propellant never factors in.

Even in Destiny, there's a distinct line between abilities - nuclear powered suits are air combat capable and have unlimited flight range, non-nuclear suits are air combat capable and have short/mid range flight as long as they're equipped with dedicated flight equipment, without the equipment suits are either groundbound or limited to jumping or hovering, or use separate lifter units

It's just that the latter becomes infrequent because flight equipment is fairly ubiquitous and power systems are advanced to the point where running out of power stops being a major element, Destiny's major thing was ZAFT sidestepping force limitation treaty rules by developing a smaller force of standard units that dunk on first generation Gundams tech wise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED is odd in that it isn't remotely realistic but it is generally quite good about being consistent. Even when it comes to things like laser colors it tends to be pretty on point to what they mean.

You get the occasional "Mu blocks a anti-fortress cannon" but the answer there was more "it was cool and dramatic so who cares."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Arc Hammer posted:

asshimar