Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

It’s so the devs can harvest and sell your data, op.

Can't they do that when I get back online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Especially bullshit since the other/console versions all work without an always-on connection.

I refunded it. It was a genuine disappointment.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

tuyop posted:

It’s so the devs can harvest and sell your data, op.

I think they shut the Tony Hawk dev down, so they aren't harvesting anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Can't they do that when I get back online

Yeah but someone probably did a little fart counting and determined that the feature would cost more in dev time than it would recover in fewer refunds so here we are

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Why the HELL would i need to be online to play an offline game? Thankfully the Switch doesn't do that garbage, but neither should the Deck, a handheld gaming device meant for traveling.

It's the publisher of the game that coded in always-online, not Valve/Steam.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Substandard posted:

I think they shut the Tony Hawk dev down, so they aren't harvesting anything.

I don't think they shut Activision down yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For fun (and because of a generous return policy) I got the ROG ally to compare against the deck and it's definitely less headaches than the Deck, but also less "smooth".

Like, I moved emulator files/saves around and it was a billion times easier than having to do Linux poo poo since it goes to the Windows desktop which has a far more familiar experience. However, while I did it, I had to use the touchscreen/thumbsticks which was annoying.

The touchscreen on the Ally is like so much better-- typing on it doesn't feel weird at all.

That being said I can 1000x recommend using the Ally as an actual desktop replacement because of the Windows implementation and also the eGPU support even if the eGPU is 1000 human dollars.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for that price just buy a desktop lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

For fun (and because of a generous return policy) I got the ROG ally to compare against the deck and it's definitely less headaches than the Deck, but also less "smooth".

Like, I moved emulator files/saves around and it was a billion times easier than having to do Linux poo poo since it goes to the Windows desktop which has a far more familiar experience. However, while I did it, I had to use the touchscreen/thumbsticks which was annoying.

The touchscreen on the Ally is like so much better-- typing on it doesn't feel weird at all.

That being said I can 1000x recommend using the Ally as an actual desktop replacement because of the Windows implementation and also the eGPU support even if the eGPU is 1000 human dollars.

Just an fyi VRR is only enabled with the screen refresh rate set to 120hz. You can use the frame limiter to set the cap to 60 and still get VRR

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

for that price just buy a desktop lol

Yeah I'm absolutely shocked they charge $2000 for the 4090 XG Mobile thing: a proprietary mobile version of an RTX4090, or a $1000 3080 XG Mobile thing, which is also a proprietary mobile version of the 3080.

If it was, like, $1000 and $500 respectively that might make sense but yikes.

I mean, assuming the XG mobile (loving stupid name) even works well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

steam deck is still that sweet spot price-wise where i don't think i should have spent a bit extra and gotten a desktop. i think for the more pricy handhelds, it would be a consideration

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Proprietary version of the laptop version of the 4090, which is closer to a desktop 4080. Russ from RetroGameCorps did a video on the 3080 version. They'll let the Ally run big games at higher res, but at that point you're spending gaming laptop money if you want something you can take with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9pjiAY94GU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

steam deck is still that sweet spot price-wise where i don't think i should have spent a bit extra and gotten a desktop. i think for the more pricy handhelds, it would be a consideration

Yep. Doubly so since Steam is doing occasional sales at fairly predictable intervals and has the refurb program.

I say this as someone who just recently got a 256 and that on-sale ~$470 after taxes was right at the sweet spot where I wasn’t asking myself if I should just roll the forward into a new video card and other updates on my desktop.

The $600/700 price points on the ROG handheld (which I also looked at) was just on the wrong side of that line. If I’m dropping $600-700 I’m going to start shopping a 4070 or maybe a used 3080 and then get a new mobo/processor/RAM. It becomes really easy to turn a $700 purchase into a $800-900 major system refresh. No such temptation with a sub-$500 whole system.

Also I have to say the Steam integration was a huge attraction even if the hardware doesn’t have as much grunt. I’ve gotten a lot of good work out of Steam’s controller layer for remapping old KMB games to use my Steam controller. The old XWing/Tie Fighter games for example work really well with a Steam controller

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gotta say though and much as I love my steam controller, gently caress it needs a second thumb stick.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The extra dpad on the deck is nice too.

Also like that they paired the joysticks with the buttons & dpad on the deck for easy access. The touchpads can double as either, so they don't need to be next to them. Just a big fan of the Deck's input design.

We need the Steam Decktroller.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

v1ld posted:

We need the Steam Decktroller.

That's what they call me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that was when we were calling it the steam dreck

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

njsykora posted:

I don't think they shut Activision down yet.

The remake was made by Vicarious Visions, who then got absorbed into the borg and became blizzard albany and will be stuck doing Diablo stuff forever I think instead of giving use Tony Hawk 3 remake

Substandard fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 5, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i thought they became a cod support studio

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

i thought they became a cod support studio

Yeah they are working the CoD mines

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
They were working the in the COD mines before they were pulled into getting Diablo 4 out of the door as most of the original D4 dev team quit or got fired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_Albany

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Microsoft should uncancel Tony Hawk 3 + 4 and move them back to that on Day 1 after the merger. Not sure how many people are still around there, but the 1+2 remake is real good and we need more Tony Hawk.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Substandard posted:

Microsoft should uncancel Tony Hawk 3 + 4 and move them back to that on Day 1 after the merger. Not sure how many people are still around there, but the 1+2 remake is real good and we need more Tony Hawk.

a remake of 3 would be great

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MarcusSA posted:

lol who

And lol

Delta and AA have free wifi if you go through their free app. Might have to watch a two minute ad. It’s more than enough to keep steam in online mode in my recent experience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you need a right angle cable

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Delta and AA have free wifi if you go through their free app. Might have to watch a two minute ad. It’s more than enough to keep steam in online mode in my recent experience.

“Sorry, rest of my flight—I had some fresh BG3 saves to pull over.”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

If you need a right angle cable

Did you just provide a screenshot instead of a link? Rude.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Here are the instructions:

https://slickdeals.net/f/16946698-prime-members-2-pk-6-6-ainope-usb-c-to-usb-c-60w-nylon-braided-cable-right-angle-5-85

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Did you just provide a screenshot instead of a link? Rude.

The app is annoying lol it’s easier if you don’t want to click through to see it.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

What games is the squad grinding during flights? Was looking at CrossCode

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I've been trying to get into System Shock (2023) for the last couple evenings, but it's been a challenge. Gyro aiming does go a long way towards making aiming tolerable, but it's so clear with how tiny the text and the items in the world are that Steam Deck is not the intended way to play this game.

Can anybody who's played this game on Deck more extensively share some tips on making the experience more fun?

I've been a fan of the genre since System Shock 2 and Deus Ex on PC, I want to like it more but it's just been hard to adapt so far.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I finally set up Sunshine on my PC and Moonlight on my Deck and I'm shocked at how great it is. I set it to native resolution and everything is perfect.

(Steam Remote Play is decent and all, but I've found it just buggy enough with sound randomly disppearing to be annoying.)

Does anyone know if there's convenient way to remap the Steam Deck rear buttons automatically in Moonlight on a per-game basis? Right now the only game I stream to the deck is Starfield so it doesn't affect me, but my understanding is that if there were a second game I wanted to stream, I'd have to remap Moonlight's controls manually each time.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Going on a flight and wanted to play thps on deck but it's online only even though it's an offline game?

Whyyyyy. Should me marked unsupported for that nonsense

unironically agree Valve should use the green checkmark as a cudgel for anticonsumer design like that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Sure is a lot of talk about this model 1030…my guess is it’s a 1TB model and not a hardware update?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snackmar posted:

I finally set up Sunshine on my PC and Moonlight on my Deck and I'm shocked at how great it is. I set it to native resolution and everything is perfect.

(Steam Remote Play is decent and all, but I've found it just buggy enough with sound randomly disppearing to be annoying.)

Does anyone know if there's convenient way to remap the Steam Deck rear buttons automatically in Moonlight on a per-game basis? Right now the only game I stream to the deck is Starfield so it doesn't affect me, but my understanding is that if there were a second game I wanted to stream, I'd have to remap Moonlight's controls manually each time.

If you use the Decky plugin MoonDeck and the supporting MoonDeckBuddy program, it creates a new non-Steam game entry for each distinct title you stream via Sunshine, so you can give them different controller configs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sure is a lot of talk about this model 1030…my guess is it’s a 1TB model and not a hardware update?

Wifi chip and probably a few other minor changes. No major revision until at least 2025 according to Valve.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Subjunctive posted:

If you use the Decky plugin MoonDeck and the supporting MoonDeckBuddy program, it creates a new non-Steam game entry for each distinct title you stream via Sunshine, so you can give them different controller configs.

oh amazing, I'll look those up - thanks!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

sailormoon posted:

What games is the squad grinding during flights? Was looking at CrossCode

Dead Cells, honestly. That's gotten me through multiple trans-Atlantic flights this year, not counting naps and meals.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Harminoff posted:

Going on a flight and wanted to play thps on deck but it's online only even though it's an offline game?

Whyyyyy. Should me marked unsupported for that nonsense

It is, indeed, balls- fwiw you only need connection for the menu screen. If you start the game at home and put it on standby you are good to go til next time you launch.

Is it naiive to hope that it will eventually be removed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Southwest didn't seem to have free Wi-Fi with t Mobile :(

Guy across from me head a steam deck too which I thought was cool!

But then on my return flight, a different guy across from me head a steam deck.

I guess they are way more popular than I thought!