Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I've always felt like a sucker not getting a house under the low interest rate decade, but I have noticed all my friends with houses that make similar money to me are always completely dead-rear end broke from shoveling tnes-of-thousands of dollars into their homes every year.

it’s better to be broke cause you spent money on yourself rather than on some dipshit landlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm too lazy to find an official source but grindset landlords are cheering because getting loans for "Multi Family Units" no longer requires 15-25% down and you can now buy with only 5% down so therefore housing demand will explode and their rents will increase or something because this couldn't ever end poorly or be a bad idea. PROPERTY IS EASIER TO BUY THAN EVER.

https://x.com/richarjotravels/status/1709995269780099085?s=20

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bar Ran Dun posted:

honest to god Wall Street capital : this is an increase in cargo theft in transit. The DOT should reform how inland carriers can list and clearly identify themselves on the load board. also gently caress double brokerage.

target: SHOPLIFTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right bar

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quiggy posted:

citation fuckin needed on black americans being the happiest with the economy lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

its pretty funny that < 100 years of western industrial society has totally demolished the average person's ability to cook food, a mainstay of being a human on earth for the last 700,00+ years.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what the gently caress

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Morbus posted:

its pretty funny that < 100 years of western industrial society has totally demolished the average person's ability to cook food, a mainstay of being a human on earth for the last 700,00+ years.

People are addicted to salt and butter but too cowardly to put it in their own food

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Morbus posted:

bring back gruel

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
cooking is easy just read a cookbook and try stuff. tge problem is nobody has a sense of adventure. no imagination among the adultsl

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My problem is that the bread I make at home tastes so much better than the store bought preservaloafs and I end up eating the whole thing in like two days, three tops

Much easier to ration out the industrial product food to maximize my household profits

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If everything's great then why won't you shut the gently caress up, will?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

apatite posted:

also would like to hear more from the oyster mushroom goon about balcony shrooms

We buy culture from a mushroom farm (but before we found out about that, bought it online). It comes preloaded in syringes.

Fill grow bags with substrate (~50% soy hulls or oatmeal or whatever grain and ~50% wood shavings), put them in a pressure cooker to sterilize. The grain or soy hulls or w/e are helpful to give a more nitrogen rich substrate initially.

The grow bags have a self-sealing charging port that you use to inoculate the substrate with culture. We've also had some success just using jars with holes in the lid and various filters or charging ports glued on, but at the end of the day grow bags are very cheap and its easier to pack more of them into the pressure cooker.

After the mycelium colonizes the substrate, it gets transferred to some old cat litter boxes that we drilled holes into, and which are filled with wood shavings. These just get kept on the balcony covered loosely by a tarp suspended by some wire frame. A small fan is used to adjust ventilation and maintain a certain humidity level. Soon mushrooms come out of the holes.

We get about 2-3 flushes per kitty litter box, and have like 6 boxes going at a time. The recurring costs are almost entirely dependent on the price of culture, and how little of it you can use per grow bag. Less culture = lower cost per mushroom but more time for the mycelium to colonize the substrate and, most importantly, greater risk that any contaminant will outcompete the mycelium and ruin the batch. If you can get a good, sterile procedure down and avoid contamination, it is pretty cost effective.

The dream is to just generate the culture ourselves, but that's a bit more involved. Gonna give it a go later this year. Whether any of this is applicable to Other Mushrooms is left as an exercise for the reader.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

i am harry posted:

olive oil is not “shelf stable” you can’t just leave it there in a container for six months and then enjoy it and we all know none of the olive oil on any store shelves is getting replaced sooner than that.
ghee is all anyone needs :glomp:

agreed op, ghay is all anyone needs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

justcallhimdragon posted:

An old friend from high school got in trouble for applying a 99% manager discount to electronics and then returning them for full value. It went completely undetected for years until they opened it up to a colleague that needed financial help. The colleague accidentally returned something twice, flagging the transaction for review and retroactively busting them both.

lmao no good deed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

stencil has to be doing a bit. like Nick Adams

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Beached Whale posted:

Love to live in a society where you're encouraged to make everything shittier. Capitalism Ftw

i think it's cool that basically all financial advice is "have you considered becoming a parasite?"

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if i want to buy chicken i have to eat all of the chicken in like 3 days and the smallest amount of chicken is basically too much for me. i imagine for people of similar weight to me they encounter the same problem

if i had another person to cook for it would be different, but basically its hard not to waste groceries at the scale i eat at. so i just buy fruit/veggies/snacks and then eat out like every 3-4 days. i get like 2-3 days worth of calories eating out for like 25-30 bucks so its not really that expensive for me

the math definitely changes the more people you have and cooking becomes more economical at that scale.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i think it's cool that basically all financial advice is "have you considered becoming a parasite?"

makes u think

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Will's mom consistently reports being satisfied, but keeps coming over to my house anyway?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

all right i'm calling it, he's gone full Matty G, these are no longer sincere takes he's just addicted to engagement

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

all right i'm calling it, he's gone full Matty G, these are no longer sincere takes he's just addicted to engagement

yeah agree

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Car Hater posted:

My problem is that the bread I make at home tastes so much better than the store bought preservaloafs and I end up eating the whole thing in like two days, three tops

Much easier to ration out the industrial product food to maximize my household profits

3 days is about how long you'd want to have it around anyway, unless yours has oil or something to keep it going longer.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

if i want to buy chicken i have to eat all of the chicken in like 3 days and the smallest amount of chicken is basically too much for me. i imagine for people of similar weight to me they encounter the same problem

if i had another person to cook for it would be different, but basically its hard not to waste groceries at the scale i eat at. so i just buy fruit/veggies/snacks and then eat out like every 3-4 days. i get like 2-3 days worth of calories eating out for like 25-30 bucks so its not really that expensive for me

the math definitely changes the more people you have and cooking becomes more economical at that scale.

where do you live where you can't buy cut-up chicken pieces to cook and/or to freeze?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

wynott dunn posted:

bring back gruel

gruel gets a bad rap. i eat gruel for breakfast most days

there's actually nothing wrong with it, it was villainified by the upper-class elite shareholders to shame the poors

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i just have my own chef.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

where do you live where you can't buy cut-up chicken pieces to cook and/or to freeze?

its everything in sum. portland is definitely a weird area though because takeout is pretty cheap and groceries are mega expensive. new york can be the same way.

so if i want a chicken sandwich, its about 2ish dollars for a half pound of chicken. bread is like anywhere between 3.50-8 bucks where i live. tomato costs more. lettuce costs more. pickles cost a fortune. oil and/or mayo costs more. im paying around 8-10 bucks for the chicken sandwich in total, which is basically the same price as several chicken sandwiches here and now i have to make sure i eat all the lettuce and all the tomato, things i dont really eat much of. i need fruit and vegetables no matter what im doing so i just buy those.

i bought a turkey sandwich that cost me like 12 bucks today. it was an entire days worth of calories for me. buying the same amount of turkey on the sandwich would cost me 8-12 bucks if they were cold cuts. thats just for the meat.

its more economical for variety and have zero waste that way.

a weeks worth of groceries costs me about 90 dollars if i dont waste anything. eating out for an avg of 12 dollars per day worth of food evens out to about the same amount.

its not super cheaper, but comparing my budgets they end up extremely close and the food ends up being much better so v:shobon:v

i used to live off food stamps for 2 people and that was so much easier (when food stamps could actually buy food). there was no waste because that same tomato or lettuce gets entirely used by the end of the week with moderate meal planning. its the living solo + my low caloric intake that really fucks with the formula.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pobrecito posted:

i spent a bunch of time in spain earlier this year and was blown away by how cheap the food routinely was. you can go to a cafe virtually anywhere and get a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee and some kind of freshly baked pastry or a big chunk of tortilla for like 2.5 euros. the same coffee of equivalent quality anywhere here is like $4 minimum and the pastry $3-4

my dad is visiting from England and I spent all day talking about this

in England you take £5 and go to buy some fruit because your granddaughter is visiting.
banana bunch - £1.20
strawberries - £1.50
4 oranges - £1.20
4 apples - £1.00
and you’ve got your fruit snacks for the next couple days

whereas in America strawberries cost $4.50 so that’s about it for her

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bananas are still cheap!!! we still have that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
technically im not including gratuity so its probably around 20% more expensive but like... why cook with that difference unless theres a second person involved?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

punch this motherfucker dead in his rosy face if I ever had the chance god loving drat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Will Stancil was once a good poster but now he posts about how the current state of affairs is actually very good. What could have happened? The world may never know.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

euphronius posted:

bananas are still cheap!!! we still have that

you jinxed it :argh:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

today I bought four steaks for $25, a bunch of asparagus for $4, some cherry tomatoes for $3, and some potatoes.

and that is 100% more expensive than four steak meals at a restaurant with sides

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Morbus posted:

[awesome stuff]

This is real cool, thanks! You can def do it with Other Mushrooms, but when I tried as a teenager in a cold disgusting basement they indeed got contaminated before full colonization. These days I let someone else deal with that poo poo and then they just give me some. We do know someone that grew a huge amount and variety of edible mushrooms commercially for a while and it sounds similar to what you are doing with bags, etc.

Rock on, balcony oyster mushroom goon

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

punch this motherfucker dead in his rosy face if I ever had the chance god loving drat

that's a trust fund baby definitely

Sentence: :guillotine:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

anime was right posted:

its everything in sum. portland is definitely a weird area though because takeout is pretty cheap and groceries are mega expensive. new york can be the same way.

so if i want a chicken sandwich, its about 2ish dollars for a half pound of chicken. bread is like anywhere between 3.50-8 bucks where i live. tomato costs more. lettuce costs more. pickles cost a fortune. oil and/or mayo costs more. im paying around 8-10 bucks for the chicken sandwich in total, which is basically the same price as several chicken sandwiches here and now i have to make sure i eat all the lettuce and all the tomato, things i dont really eat much of. i need fruit and vegetables no matter what im doing so i just buy those.

i bought a turkey sandwich that cost me like 12 bucks today. it was an entire days worth of calories for me. buying the same amount of turkey on the sandwich would cost me 8-12 bucks if they were cold cuts. thats just for the meat.

its more economical for variety and have zero waste that way.

a weeks worth of groceries costs me about 90 dollars if i dont waste anything. eating out for an avg of 12 dollars per day worth of food evens out to about the same amount.

its not super cheaper, but comparing my budgets they end up extremely close and the food ends up being much better so v:shobon:v

i used to live off food stamps for 2 people and that was so much easier (when food stamps could actually buy food). there was no waste because that same tomato or lettuce gets entirely used by the end of the week with moderate meal planning. its the living solo + my low caloric intake that really fucks with the formula.

Yeah, I get it; I do wind up with food waste myself & hate it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I am willing to accept that some places are very bizarre, but it's basically impossible to get takeout that's anywhere near cost-competitive with home cooking here. We're a little spendy with our cooking because we like trying different things and our fanciest recipes are still in the 1/4 to 1/2 price range compared to takeout meals. Regular weeknight/lunch stuff is so cheap that I can't even really make the comparison, but we do tend to do batch cooking and meal prep for that stuff so it works out to not very much per serving.

I think about the closest I could possibly come is something like a McDonald's breakfast sandwich with coupons because, yeah, a bacon, egg, and cheese would probably get me pretty close to two bucks in ingredients. Good breakfast sandwiches from places that aren't poo poo are like $8 minimum around me so lol.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

also gently caress double brokerage.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Will Stancil was once a good poster but now he posts about how the current state of affairs is actually very good. What could have happened? The world may never know.

have never seen a good Stancil post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

anime was right posted:

1 chicken is not 3 days of food for even 1 small person. And anyway the staple foods that human beings eat on planet earth can all be measured out by cup, are shelf stable, and come in big bags.

Anyway do what you want, and certainly eating out or snacking can save time...but I swear these posts come up every now and again and its like bro just cook some rice, throw everything else in a pot and/or oven and eat them together.