Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Okay heroes of the horn really got to me. :krad: And I think this was the most fun Mat has been in the whole show.

Teen me really liked the Rand vs. Turak swordfight in the book for the "turns out you're actually good at sword stuff" power fantasy so I'm sad to lose it, but the episode didn't really need it.

Egwene and Renna played out pretty naturally. Actors good.

Kind of wish Nynaeve could do something.

Camera lingered on Hopper for way too long, feels manipulative.

Moiraine and Lan remain the worst part of the season, it pains me to say, but at least Lan got to be badass for once.

Called it on the dragon flying around.

Any and all plot holes and coincidences are because of ta'veren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Any and all plot holes and coincidences are because of ta'veren.

yeah i mean

a lot of us joked over the years that ta'veren just means 'protagonist' and that's basically just straight up how it works in the books for the most part. it's not particularly surprising if they all coincidentally end up together in a very 'justice league: assemble' kinda way in the tv show. it's just how this poo poo goes. they shuffled a few puzzle pieces around to different spots but this is just how it goes off!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Changes I liked:

Perrin actually taking out Bornhald, it makes his son going so nuts in the two rivers way more personal and Perrin has to deal with actually being responsible for his death.

Mat making a spear and stabbing Rand, way better way to introduce the wound that doesn't heal for the show.

Elayne healing Rand, a real good way to pay homage to the book 1 scene but also gives their relationship a much firmer foundation, she saved his life the first time they met. I think it's a way stronger way to build them having a relationship compared to the book, honestly.

I loving CACKLED when I realized in a flash how they had sewn up the Fain/dagger/foxesnsnakes/spear/Matmemories/sidewound wildly disparate book plotline curlicues going all in their own unrelated directions into ONE SINGLE COHESIVE THRU-LINE THAT MAKES SENSE lol lmao wtf

Also nearly bawled at hopr

holy lol what an episode. Greatest hits bam bam bam

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Get wrecked Turak, you're a side villain.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So are we assuming they showed Birgette in the pan of the horn heroes?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I need a cigarette

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

theblackw0lf posted:

Birgitte’s the one with the blonde hair and the bow standing next to Hélène Tran.

E: I liked it. It picked up pace fast and stuck the ending. Rand is still a little weak on agency (he mostly just reacts to situations) but that’s the price of making it more of an ensemble story, which is overall good. And him going after Egwene and Indy-ing Turok and honour guard was a step in the right direction.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 6, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theblackw0lf posted:

She got off quite a few good gratuitous arrow shots in the battle too

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

wouldn't count that as assuming, unless the tall archer with a long blonde braid that's a hero of the horn is just some nobody

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope we get a scene in the first episode of next season that's just Lanfear grabbing Liandrin by the shoulders and ripping her off the street into a dark alley and being like "Pack your things and wrap it the gently caress up, we're joining the Light, don't ask questions!"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mat giving Rand the first unhealable would is pretty much what i expected since we got the stabbing prophecy. also i hope the dagger isn't replacing the ashanderai

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
haven't read everyone else's posts yet, but here's my summary of this episode in images

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
That was a good season.

some of the stuff I liked:
Mat blowing the Horn, which gave him his memories + battle skills, making him a hero of the horn and making the Ashenderi himself out of the dagger.

Hopper :qq:

Perrin going wolf-rage mode and killing Bornhald Sr. himself

Lan finally getting to be a badass. Moiraine getting to be a badass.

Elayne. And I liked that Nynaeve swallowed her pride and admitted that Egwene needed Elayne, because who knows if Nyn will be able to channel.

Stuff I didn't like as much:

Doing the Igntar self sacrifice scene, but without any of the emotional weight behind it was lame as gently caress. Guess they just didn't have time to flesh Igntar out at all or even make him a darkfriend

Nynaeve should have healed Elayne and then not been able to channel otherwise.

Rand's "fight" with Ishamael was lame.

Egwene freeing herself.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 6, 2023

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Moiraine broke an Oath, change my mind!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Never to use the One Power as a weapon except against Darkfriends

People shielding the Dragon Reborn and working for a forsaken must be darkfriends therefore blow that poo poo up asap

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just gonna say that Rand's meet-cute with Elayne being done this way is approximately fifteen fuckloads more plausible and satisfying than in the book

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Except Lan points out there may be innocents and she says "I'll kill 1000 innocents before I let him die"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Oh I also liked the guy dressed like a old school stage magician in the cold open.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Data Graham posted:

Just gonna say that Rand's meet-cute with Elayne being done this way is approximately fifteen fuckloads more plausible and satisfying than in the book

My wife literally said “are they going to fall in love” right before they did the dreamy shot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still not quite over Lews Therin having a Dragon brooch that looks like the Mortal Kombat logo made out of macrame and glitter

(not a spoiler because it was the same a season ago)

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
There was a fair bit of cheese in there like the squad of goons all showing up just in time for Lan to have something to do while Moiraine imitates a nuclear submarine and Rand just stabbing Ishy. I would have loved an Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul from Star Wars Rebels style fight after taking the time to work in the details of Rand(Lews)/Ishamael/Lanfear's relationship. No big flashy sword fight, just a swing swing done kinda deal. Also not in love with Mat being tied to the Horn, but it does put a nice bow on a lot of things as others have mentioned so I will roll with it. Unsure if we will get the Snakes and Foxes stuff.

Overall though I loving loved it.

MOGHEDION :tviv:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pleads posted:

Except Lan points out there may be innocents and she says "I'll kill 1000 innocents before I let him die"

She only needs to convince herself that it's justified, same with lying and anything else an Aes Sedai does. She also says in the books that she would kill any of the boys herself if she thought the Dark One would get them so she isn't above that kind of thinking.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ragnarokette posted:

There was a fair bit of cheese in there like the squad of goons all showing up just in time for Lan to have something to do while Moiraine imitates a nuclear submarine and Rand just stabbing Ishy. I would have loved an Obi-Wan vs Darth Maul from Star Wars Rebels style fight after taking the time to work in the details of Rand(Lews)/Ishamael/Lanfear's relationship. No big flashy sword fight, just a swing swing done kinda deal. Also not in love with Mat being tied to the Horn, but it does put a nice bow on a lot of things as others have mentioned so I will roll with it. Unsure if we will get the Snakes and Foxes stuff.

Overall though I loving loved it.

MOGHEDION :tviv:

I think Rand vs. Ish works better if you view it as a mercy killing more than a fight. It's Rand manning up and doing what Lews was too much of a proud stubborn shithead to do and giving his old friend the death he wanted all along, and Ishy going "You know what, fine, I'm actually okay with this. Thank you, Lews".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As they were all standing on the tower at the end I was like "EVERYBODY LEVEL UP"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Rand vs. Ish works better if you view it as a mercy killing more than a fight. It's Rand manning up and doing what Lews was too much of a stubborn shithead to do and giving his old friend the death he wanted all along.

Yeah,

It also fits a lot better with Rand and Moridin's relationship in the books which makes sense since show Ishy is waaaaaaaaay less insane than book Ishy.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

rafikki posted:

My wife literally said “are they going to fall in love” right before they did the dreamy shot

Neither one has seen another Hot Ginger before, they thought they were the only ones.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
in reguards to the oath against killing innocents:

You gotta be a pretty poo poo aes sedai not to come up with a way to kill people. All those boats were still floating, which is what Moraine was channeling at, not the people shielding the Dragon.

Loved this entire season, Lanfear is just divine and now that we have this Bjork looking Moggy being creeepy af, looks like the show is still going strong on the Forsaken ebing the best

I adore that Ishamael and Lanfear were like, yeah, those other Forsaken are bunch of weird gently caress ups, who needs them.

Loved the dual in the begining. hated how Nyn did nothing this entire episode.

Ahhhhh good show!!

Now for Loki.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It deprives us of Fares Fares for future seasons though since he'll probably be recast as Moridin.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Pleads posted:

Moiraine broke an Oath, change my mind!

Hey, if she can swear a secret fourth oath, she can forswear the other three.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

It deprives us of Fares Fares for future seasons though since he'll probably be recast as Moridin.

Eh, I bet they bring him back anyway.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Morrow posted:

Even with him literally disintegrating I'm still not convinced he's actually dead

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

She only needs to convince herself that it's justified, same with lying and anything else an Aes Sedai does. She also says in the books that she would kill any of the boys herself if she thought the Dark One would get them so she isn't above that kind of thinking.

Sure, and I think that is also the justification as a book-knower, but the scene itself makes it look like she just attacked a bunch of ships with people on them because she didn't like what they were up to without really showing the viewers that she was in the headspace where it wouldn't be violating the Oath (and saying a line shortly before that basically contradicts it).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh yeah, if they swap in Moridin he'll be back as Ishamael to gently caress with his new incarnation somehow.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Just him using Mask of Mirrors to chat with protagonists

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Zore posted:

Yeah,

It also fits a lot better with Rand and Moridin's relationship in the books which makes sense since show Ishy is waaaaaaaaay less insane than book Ishy.

Do we have Word of Rafe that we are getting Moridin then? It's gonna be a shame to lose Fares Fares. I'm inclined to agree with some of the others that was a sword enchanted with balefire so he might be done done.

Also it's been a hot minute since I read the books but wasn't that the same line from the very end after defeating the dark one?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grimey Drawer
You know, the "you are always my better" was visible 10 miles away but Pike is a good enough actress to have pulled it off anyway. The show itself is good but the acting in general is top shelf.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ragnarokette posted:

Do we have Word of Rafe that we are getting Moridin then? It's gonna be a shame to lose Fares Fares. I'm inclined to agree with some of the others that was a sword enchanted with balefire so he might be done done.

Also it's been a hot minute since I read the books but wasn't that the same line from the very end after defeating the dark one?

The cold open and the climax being mirror images of each other with Ishamael going "just loving kill me, Lews!" and Lews Therin coldly going "No." vs. Rand just hyperstabbing him to death and him falling on the ground and smiling going "Oh thank god, finally, death..." and then getting dusted makes me think this is the end for Ishamael completely. No Moridin, no resurrection, he's done. Otherwise it kind a cheapens his arc. We might see him back for like more Age of Legends flashbacks like they're doing with Lews at the end of each season, but otherwise, I think that's a wrap.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The cold open and the climax being mirror images of each other with Ishamael going "just loving kill me, Lews!" and Lews Therin coldly going "No." vs. Rand just hyperstabbing him to death and him falling on the ground and smiling going "Oh thank god, finally, death..." and then getting dusted makes me think this is the end for Ishamael completely. No Moridin, no resurrection, he's done. Otherwise it kind a cheapens his arc. We might see him back for like more Age of Legends flashbacks like they're doing with Lews at the end of each season, but otherwise, I think that's a wrap.

you have described exactly why his return to life, as living is a literal punishment to him, has been narratively established

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

:negative:

Actually thinking about it for a second, I'm not so sure. Him coming back and being damned to do it all again kinda just underlines his point. I'm not really sure where you go from that, but it might be workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, having him show up at the end of like season 4 right before the credits would be pretty awesome. I'm cool with it either way to be honest. Like you said, his character arc really did wrap up nicely, but Fares was one of the better cast members if not the best. Bittersweet either way.