Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i mean at least 20% of those people have probably died of old age

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hello internet posted:

How does only 4% of the player base have the one and only CS2 achievement "A new beginning"

because the 100% pool is everyone who has ever played CSGO over the last decade, not everyone is going to come back

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Also, new achievements are pretty much always bugged in terms of displayed percentages- it'll probably look very different in a week

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

cheats typically disable achievements :D

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKtOMNRdAAg
It's all downhill from here.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I see they've added a community server function. The globe icon. But the steam browser doesn't seem to be working. I'm not seeing any servers. Not for CS2, not for any other game you can select from the list.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The steam server browser has been less and less reliable for me for no reason over the years. Somehow it was taking like 20 seconds for it to update my 8 servers in the favorites tab. I heard it might do with the number of requests per second or something (its one of steams settings). Didnt fix jackshit for me when i first did it but maybe try that and see if it helps

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
It works for me. IIRC you have to select cs2 in the game drop menu and hit search or something

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

ArfJason posted:

The steam server browser has been less and less reliable for me for no reason over the years. Somehow it was taking like 20 seconds for it to update my 8 servers in the favorites tab. I heard it might do with the number of requests per second or something (its one of steams settings). Didnt fix jackshit for me when i first did it but maybe try that and see if it helps

I lowered the pings per minute from 5000 to 1000.

Not a single server shows up for CS2. TF2 and Garry's Mod servers do show up now (and apparently every game except CS2), though, when hitting the search button.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Premier is so hosed right now. Just played a team of ESEA Advanced players at 4k elo.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

It sucked for me at first but after 30-ish games of premier it either has my skill pegged or I’ve been on an insane run of luck. I’ve had wins and losses but most of my recent games have been close ones.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im yet to unlock it, how is it different from competitive?

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Premier is the mode where you don’t get to choose a map outright, you and your team do pick/ban for maps and then play whichever map is voted for. This mode is where you get that visible MMR number (CS Rating).

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I don’t think it’s exclusive to premier though, I just meant that I’m convinced the more you (and everyone else) plays the better the MM will get.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

why not just play comp and turn off the maps you don't want

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
There need to be more maps and the silenced TMP needs to come back. Maybe also a setting/league with no skins & xp so there's somewhere to just play for fun. I don't mind playing competitively, even though I haven't played in 10 years and suck, but some of the players out there are insane, not fun on either team and I'd love to avoid them. I'd also love to find a good 24/7 server or two (the browser definitely doesn't work for me) but maybe esports has ruined this game and that era will never happen again

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

hbag posted:

Because the rank doesn't mean much then. Get a 5 stack to play office and all of them well be global after a month. Regardless of how good they actually are.

Spreading the games across the entire comp pool means it's more likely to actually measure skill, rather than map knowledge.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hbag posted:

Premier is the rank that people care about.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Having overtime in premier elevates it a lot. Was like a fresh shot of adrenaline clutching out a close OT win.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

now that I'm used to it CS2 feels really good to play. 1 taps especially are beautiful

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Is there any actual proof that walking with a knife is faster?

The only proof I can find online is "the pros do it". It doesn't seem like a 5 unit or whatever increase in speed is worth getting caught with your pants down

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hello internet posted:

The only proof I can find online is "the pros do it". It doesn't seem like a 5 unit or whatever increase in speed is worth getting caught with your pants down

yes. different weapons have different walk speeds. the knife has the highest walk speed.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

like take an awp or something and start walking, then switch to the knife mid-walk. you will notice an immediate difference

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, the difference is significant. It's not that much compared to having a light pistol or a nade out, but it's still there, and that small difference has knock-on effects. If you're racing to the confrontation zone at the start of the round, showing up 0.2 seconds later might mean the opponent has the angle. If you're moving faster, you pick up momentum faster (I think? I'm not actually 100% sure here), and sometimes that matters if you need to manoeuvre. If you're moving faster, you jump further, so having a knife out can make some jumps more reliable and the handful of very tricky ones actually possible. Finally, having a pistol or a rifle out gives you no advantages when you know you are not going to encounter an opponent along the way (e.g. because the entire enemy team has just captured the other bomb site), but showing up faster to wherever you are going is almost always an advantage, and might at times make all the difference.

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

Load up a private server and type cl_showpos 1 to see the speed for every weapon :)

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

hbag posted:

It means you don't get an ELO number. I like to think that Valve is shaming everyone into playing premier with the ranked map system for non-premier games.

hello internet posted:

Weapon spreadsheet. Knife run speed is 250 units, this can make it important for the choke points at the start of the match. If you have a decent read of how the round is going running around with your knife for a rotate makes sense. If Ts rush B on Mirage at the start of the round and you are CT at ticket booth there is 0 chance a T will surprise you from nest.

Where is the new thread?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Budzilla posted:

Weapon spreadsheet. Knife run speed is 250 units, this can make it important for the choke points at the start of the match. If you have a decent read of how the round is going running around with your knife for a rotate makes sense. If Ts rush B on Mirage at the start of the round and you are CT at ticket booth there is 0 chance a T will surprise you from nest.

Where is the new thread?

This is good info but yeah obviously the knife is faster for running, I was talking about the difference between walking with an AK and walking with a knife. I’ll have to load up the game and try to find out myself with the tip a few posts ago.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hello internet posted:

cl_showpos1 shows your movement velocity. I don’t remember if sv_cheats is required. But yes, knife out walking is faster.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
so yes on paper it is indeed faster but practically it's something that will matter like 1% of the time where you're close enough to be heard and know exactly where your enemy is and go for the flank or something

but realistically you've got more important poo poo to worry about than walking slightly faster - should be more focused on crosshair placement and checking corners and poo poo and when to go loud so as to not slow peek a corner etc

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Typically if I think I'm close enough to an enemy to need to walk, I won't risk pulling out the knife, so knife-walk is inconsequential to me as speed goes.

Knife-run? Way faster + gotta flex the skin a little.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

RATS! posted:

Load up a private server and type cl_showpos 1 to see the speed for every weapon :)

Its rats!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Community server problem update:

Yesterday, CS2 was the only game for which the server browser was bugged, nothing showed up.

Today, CS2 servers show up, but they're all empty and all on de_mirage :confused:

Noob question: How do I get better at shooting? Should I learn the spray patterns of each often-used weapon? Should I start moving the crosshair downwards even during a quick burst? Sometimes it feels like the M4 and AK starts hitting above players' heads even on bullet 2 or 3.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

turn on "follow recoil" and just keep your crosshair on the guy you want to kill

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Pandaal posted:

Typically if I think I'm close enough to an enemy to need to walk, I won't risk pulling out the knife, so knife-walk is inconsequential to me as speed goes.

Knife-run? Way faster + gotta flex the skin a little.

For sure I agree with you, seeing randoms in premier dying while walking with knife out is what prompted the question.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

PirateBob posted:

Noob question: How do I get better at shooting? Should I learn the spray patterns of each often-used weapon? Should I start moving the crosshair downwards even during a quick burst? Sometimes it feels like the M4 and AK starts hitting above players' heads even on bullet 2 or 3.

Imo you don't need to learn the whole spray pattern, just get a feel for how far you need to drag the mouse down or down and to the side for the first few bullets to hit, if you don't kill the guy with the first 8-10 bullets it's almost always better to reset than keep shooting.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
second round! time to force buy my ak-47 and immediately get shot

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

PirateBob posted:

Community server problem update:

Yesterday, CS2 was the only game for which the server browser was bugged, nothing showed up.

Today, CS2 servers show up, but they're all empty and all on de_mirage :confused:

Spend some time shooting long bursts/sprays at a close ish wall and just try to learn to make the bullets into as tight a grouping as you can.

You pull gradually down for the first 5-7 bullets, then usually want to move left for a bit, then some weapons you want to move to the right towards the end of the spray.

Once you’ve played enough and practiced enough it becomes muscle memory. Mostly I’d say to just practice with the AK, once that starts to get cemented you’ll be able to use the M4s better too.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i find the M4A1-S way easier than the AK. feels like the recoil is tighter

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Its already got good accuracy, tighter spread and the fact that it has a slower rate of fire means it has more time to recover accuracy between shots. Its the noob gun which is why i use it almost exclusively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

its also the only gun ive got a cool skin for (leaded glass minimal wear :smug:)
e: actually my photic zone bizon is cool too