Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

Just finished a solid 3 months of applying and interviewing and got the new job. I can easily say: it loving sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

CarForumPoster posted:

What % of people who threaten the interviewer get hired?

What % of people who mention participating in legal action?

what % of people get turbofucked at their jobs because rear end in a top hat recruiters cant stay in their fuckin lanes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hen posted:

Just finished a solid 3 months of applying and interviewing and got the new job. I can easily say: it loving sucked.
:toot:

:woop:

and yeah, that poo poo sucks. be glad its over

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

CarForumPoster posted:

You could actually state the ratings you got, if you were rated well. You could ask for more info. You could say a high number (9 or 10) and then say how you being promoted there indicates that.

Or you could just say whatever the gently caress you want? No one is going to know

quote:

I'd decline giving them a reference for my current job before I had a concrete offer with a start date in hand if you're worried that the contact may lead to adverse employment actions.

There is absolutely no upside to this literally ever

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

CarForumPoster posted:

What % of people who threaten the interviewer get hired?

What % of people who mention participating in legal action?

I don't think anyone in this thread is actually suggesting to threaten interviewers or recruiters.

This is a joke computer forum.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

they must roll different in car forums

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ohhhhhhhhh

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I once had a HR/recruiter ask me "can you rate on a scale from 1 to 10 your skill in...'Linux'?"

I guess this is to make sure you hire the dunning kruger folks idk.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i think you should threaten, legally and physically, your interviewers and recruiters, both to assert dominance and as a negotiation tactic. i am a lawyer and this is legal advice.

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

You have to be implicit about it - just fidget with brass knuckles the whole time

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

i think you should threaten, legally and physically, your interviewers and recruiters, both to assert dominance and as a negotiation tactic. i am a lawyer and this is legal advice.

ok i will

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

cheque_some posted:

I once had a HR/recruiter ask me "can you rate on a scale from 1 to 10 your skill in...'Linux'?"

I guess this is to make sure you hire the dunning kruger folks idk.

if its a *nix i got your fix ~snaps fingerguns~

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
did 3 consecutive hour interviews with a company i really like today. i thought they all went well so hoping for some good news in the next week. these guys are relatively verifiably not Evil which is nice

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RokosCockatrice posted:

if its a *nix i got your fix ~snaps fingerguns~

OK Mr Trice let's see how you do, then *fires up IRIX box*

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

feedmegin posted:

*trades finger guns for real guns*

on it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

feedmegin posted:

i know this this is unix

irix, where even if you shut off the half dozen ‘get connected, get root’ services there were still a dozen passwordless service accounts

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

feedmegin posted:

i'll take six

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I haven’t had to interview in around 25 years and this thread gives me hella anxiety about the prospect of that ever happening

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

shitface posted:

I haven’t had to interview in around 25 years and this thread gives me hella anxiety about the prospect of that ever happening

it sucks

I did dozens of interviews earlier this year and took a great offer, but in a team that does something I've never done before

as a result I'm the slowest member of the team and kinda concerned about passing probation

the idea of interviewing again in January is depressing

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

feedmegin posted:

"this is a unix system, i know this"
*fires up fsn*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

shitface posted:

might be a good time to get some practice in, then.

you might happy in your current place, but there's no harm in looking. computer touchers are in the enviable position where interviews are a two-way street. who knows, maybe you'll woo them, maybe they'll woo you.

(this is directed as much at you as at myself tbh).

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

you might happy in your current place, but there's no harm in looking. computer touchers are in the enviable position where interviews are a two-way street. who knows, maybe you'll woo them, maybe they'll woo you.

interviewing while gainfully employed gives you a lot of leverage in negotiation too. less incentive to screw you with lowball or downlevel if you can just walk

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

just because of the temp work visa and the fact that I want to stay in Oz means I can’t right now. I’ve also just transitioned from pure tech to management so I need some experience under my belt on that. in a few years I can definitely see the temptation of figgies making me look around. i shudder at the thought of having to do a resume though, the only one I have was bare minimum effort for immigration purposes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shitface posted:

I haven’t had to interview in around 25 years

wow

yeah you should absolutely interview for some jobs you dont actually want. You do NOT want your first interview in over two decades to be for a job you really want or need. Get some practice.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

this is me, too. i’ve gotten my last few jobs from ~connections~ and am therefore majorly unpracticed at interviews, especially at my current career level

i’ve done a lot of interviewing from the other side of the table, but i don’t think that experience translates at all

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I havent interviewed in like 4 years, i should probably do one or two

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Before this I hadn’t in over 8 years and yeah I bombed some easy stuff.

Gotta say though I’m super envious of Amazon’s online testing setup, especially the project simulation thing

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

rotor posted:

wow

yeah you should absolutely interview for some jobs you dont actually want. You do NOT want your first interview in over two decades to be for a job you really want or need. Get some practice.

the capital letters really help put me ease

well-read undead posted:

this is me, too. i’ve gotten my last few jobs from ~connections~ and am therefore majorly unpracticed at interviews, especially at my current career level

i’ve done a lot of interviewing from the other side of the table, but i don’t think that experience translates at all

same and same

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shitface posted:

the capital letters really help put me ease

i dont think you should be at ease is the thing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the most straightforward thing to practice. get yourself an rear end in a top hat and a timer and some tennis balls and have them insult you and throw the tennis balls while you do the problem

practice the anxiety not the cs undergrad poo poo. you may also need to practice the cs undergrad poo poo i dont know

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its the most straightforward thing to practice. get yourself an rear end in a top hat and a timer and some tennis balls and have them insult you and throw the tennis balls while you do the problem

practice the anxiety not the cs undergrad poo poo. you may also need to practice the cs undergrad poo poo i dont know

oh I work in service delivery. people asking me stupid/irrelevant/pointless questions in an overly aggressive or undeservedly authoritative manner stopped making me nervous a long time ago. it's just that word, interview. INT ER VIEW

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
INTJ er view

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

it sucks

I did dozens of interviews earlier this year and took a great offer, but in a team that does something I've never done before

as a result I'm the slowest member of the team and kinda concerned about passing probation

I feel like the bar for not passing probation is incredibly high. A new hire would have to gently caress up in spectacular fashion to make it worth going through the hiring process again.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

elbkaida posted:

I feel like the bar for not passing probation is incredibly high. A new hire would have to gently caress up in spectacular fashion to make it worth going through the hiring process again.

it’s safe to say everyone in yospos is safe but I have been given a new employee who asked how to convert an Integer to an int in Java (this was a long time ago) and needless to say they didn’t pass their prob period

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

INTJ er view

lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

YOSPOS > interviewing: INTJ er view

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

it’s safe to say everyone in yospos is safe but I have been given a new employee who asked how to convert an Integer to an int in Java (this was a long time ago) and needless to say they didn’t pass their prob period

good lord lol

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

did 3 consecutive hour interviews with a company i really like today. i thought they all went well so hoping for some good news in the next week. these guys are relatively verifiably not Evil which is nice

recruiter wants to "share great news" with me tomorrow. i would really rather they just email me an offer letter

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They're going to share that they liked you almost certainly followed immediately by "so what number are you looking for" so be ready for that

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

it sucks

The only two people I've ever seen terminated for underperformance were doing close to zero work for a span of > 12 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I'm currently filling out post interview responses.

My interview question is effectively : "here's a one liner fake json string with the tokens replaced with other tokens - parse it and print it out in a human readable format.
|key1+string1|key2+{arrayvalue1,arrayvalue2}|

and they're lost. doing all sorts of nonsense with array indexes and off by ones. I've gone through two interviews already and none of them have heard of split() or map().

Wait you've been working with ${FAANG_ADJACENT_CO} for two years already, you're listed as a backend developer with experience in REST and GraphQL and I get a blank face when I say, "here's the Curl of the request..." and the job description is ALL Spring Boot.

I hate being "What's the difference between covariance and contravariance?" guy, but...