Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just finished Baldur's Gate 3 and I'm looking for some RPG suggestions.
I strongly prefer RPG's with character-driven narratives with interesting party members. Less boring fantasy politics and angsty teens fighting god with the power of friendship, and more charismatic villans and weirdo party members.

Baldur's Gate 3 and Divinity Original Sin 2 were very good.
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous was extremely good, I played through it two times and planning a third playthrough, despite hating the combat system.
Disco Elysium is obviously amazing.

JRPG's are also fine but I somehow doubt that there's really anything to my taste in that genre. I tried a bunch of different ones to no success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
To state the obvious in case you haven't played it, Planescape: Torment? It's all about the characters and the companions are pretty wild.

Maybe Tyranny, though your distaste of "fantasy politics" might make it a non-starter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

I strongly prefer RPG's with character-driven narratives with interesting party members. Less boring fantasy politics and angsty teens fighting god with the power of friendship, and more charismatic villans and weirdo party members.

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous was extremely good, I played through it two times and planning a third playthrough, despite hating the combat system.

JRPG's are also fine but I somehow doubt that there's really anything to my taste in that genre. I tried a bunch of different ones to no success.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon(may or may not contain power of friendship)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall or Hong Kong
Pyre if sportsball mechanics are okay

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

To state the obvious in case you haven't played it, Planescape: Torment? It's all about the characters and the companions are pretty wild.

Maybe Tyranny, though your distaste of "fantasy politics" might make it a non-starter.

Hwurmp posted:

Yakuza: Like A Dragon(may or may not contain power of friendship)
Shadowrun: Dragonfall or Hong Kong
Pyre if sportsball mechanics are okay

I attempted to play both Planescape Torment and Shadowrun Hong Kong at some point, ages ago, but I quit them at some point, but I don't remember why. I think I should give them another proper try, especially since I already own both.

I didn't even bother with Tyranny because I've heard a lot that falls apart at the end, and I really don't like it when all the narrative build-up falls apart for nothing.

I played like 30 hours of Yakuza: Like A Dragon but I didn't find any of the characters or events particularity interesting and the gameplay got stale eventually.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
For what it's worth, I thought Tyranny was solid and concluded pretty much everything that mattered. Yes, it leaves a (major) door open to the player's imagination or a not-going-to-happen-because-game-didn't-sell-enough sequel, but I thought that was fine. The combat was a bit tedious, with too many micro-cooldowns to spam, but setting, story and characters were drat good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It does some pretty unique things. Nice feedback loop where non-combat skills reward experience and noticeably change combat outcomes. Meta-text so if you don’t remember or skip through exposition, you can still understand what’s going on. Craft your own spells. You’re basically a Roman magistrate so you can rules lawyer your way through the game but the law is very much up to your interpretation if it’s worded vaguely.

I still think the final act is brutally truncated,but up to then, it’s very well fleshed out. At least 4 general paths, some with totally unique areas.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jack Trades posted:

I attempted to play both Planescape Torment and Shadowrun Hong Kong at some point, ages ago, but I quit them at some point, but I don't remember why. I think I should give them another proper try, especially since I already own both.

I didn't even bother with Tyranny because I've heard a lot that falls apart at the end, and I really don't like it when all the narrative build-up falls apart for nothing.

I played like 30 hours of Yakuza: Like A Dragon but I didn't find any of the characters or events particularity interesting and the gameplay got stale eventually.

Honestly given how much of Planescape's good comes from the writing and story, and how middling the actual gameplay is, I think reading this excellent LP of it is more fun than actually playing the game. It covers lots of good little stuff that a first-time player may miss, adds important and helpful context that enriches the game, and really covers it well, it's one of the better LPs out there.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Have you tried TROUBLESHOOTER?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Have you tried TROUBLESHOOTER?

I did.
I actually liked the gameplay of that quite a bit but I found the plot to be a stream of anime nonsense.
I think I finished the first act, the one where they deal with the spoon cult and despite trying to pay attention I couldn't parse anything meaningful out of the events.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

JRPGs
Tales of Berseria - You play the "monsters" of the setting. Widely praised for it's weirdo party members
Chrono Trigger - You want charismatic villains and weirdo party members here it is. A classic for a reason.
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright - A very light. but style heavy rpg where the gimmick is you're playing an RPG after school on top of a bench inside a student's notebook with your friends.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception - More a visual novel with strategy rpg sections than an RPG wholly. But people really love the writing on this one.

Western Games
Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire - There's quite a bit of fantasy politics but generally you don't have to interact with it
Guardians of The Galaxy - Highly praised for its interactions with party members
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Honestly, it takes a lot man power and budget to do good mechanics with charismatic villains and weirdo party members
Undertale - People love all those wacky characters
The South Park games are pretty fun
The Sunless games/House of Many Doors - Not much character based combat but you do pick up a bunch of weirdos
Alpha Protocol - if you can find a key for sale

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I did.
I actually liked the gameplay of that quite a bit but I found the plot to be a stream of anime nonsense.
I think I finished the first act, the one where they deal with the spoon cult and despite trying to pay attention I couldn't parse anything meaningful out of the events.

Uhm, with act 1, do you mean chapter 1: the first 8 missions? If so, yeah, it's kinda normal that you find the story somewhat confusing until that point. In my opinion it does work after a while, all the different story aspects are characters start to come together a bit and it certainly meets your criteria of "charismatic villans and weirdo party members". A lot of the villains get a crazy backstory explanation (often sympathetic) and the more party members you recruit the better the interactions get.

If you mean you finished everything before the DLC, i.e. you were lvl 50, then obviously fair enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

fez_machine posted:

JRPGs
Tales of Berseria - You play the "monsters" of the setting. Widely praised for it's weirdo party members
Chrono Trigger - You want charismatic villains and weirdo party members here it is. A classic for a reason.
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright - A very light. but style heavy rpg where the gimmick is you're playing an RPG after school on top of a bench inside a student's notebook with your friends.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception - More a visual novel with strategy rpg sections than an RPG wholly. But people really love the writing on this one.

I liked Tales of Berseria, it was a very refreshing take on the stale anime formulas those games usually do. Having a party of anti-heroes was much more interesting than the usual "angsty teens fighting god with the power of friendship" even if the game ends with you doing exactly that, but still enjoyed the game overall.

It's notably one of the two JRPG's I ever liked enough to finish.
The other one being Resonance of Fate, mostly because of it's really cool and unique combat system, but also it's plot was morbidly entertaining in how bizarre and utterly incomprehensible 90% of it was.

I'll have a look at the other suggestions, since I'm not familiar with them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Walh Hara posted:

Uhm, with act 1, do you mean chapter 1: the first 8 missions? If so, yeah, it's kinda normal that you find the story somewhat confusing until that point. In my opinion it does work after a while, all the different story aspects are characters start to come together a bit and it certainly meets your criteria of "charismatic villans and weirdo party members". A lot of the villains get a crazy backstory explanation (often sympathetic) and the more party members you recruit the better the interactions get.

If you mean you finished everything before the DLC, i.e. you were lvl 50, then obviously fair enough.

I re-downloaded the game to check and it looks like the last mission I've done was the first mission of Chapter 3.

I cannot for the life of me remember what happened in Chapter 2, which is probably not a good sign unfortunately.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't blame you, the game plot meanders around and does nothing for the first two chapters. It was developed in early access and the devs kept releasing minor missions while they figured out what they wanted to do with the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I don't blame you, the game plot meanders around and does nothing for the first two chapters. It was developed in early access and the devs kept releasing minor missions while they figured out what they wanted to do with the game.

If the plot actually gets going in Chapter 3, then I might as well give it another shot, I suppose. Especially since I'm already there and I do remember liking the gameplay.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The level design and turn-to-turn tactics are pretty drat good, so worth another shot if you feel like it.

Do keep in mind that you can always skip the optional missions and just do scenario cases (the red missions) if you want to progress the plot. Can always go back and play any missions you skipped and the difficulty settings allow scaling to your current level, among other things.

IIRC the plot and difficulty get pretty wild for a bit towards the end of chapter 3, it's good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

No Dignity posted:

Subnautica has a heavy gathering/base building focus and is an incredible exploration game on top, would that sound any good?

thank you for this! I've put about two hours into it so far today and I've taken to it quite well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

thank you for this! I've put about two hours into it so far today and I've taken to it quite well

:cheers:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

The level design and turn-to-turn tactics are pretty drat good, so worth another shot if you feel like it.

Do keep in mind that you can always skip the optional missions and just do scenario cases (the red missions) if you want to progress the plot. Can always go back and play any missions you skipped and the difficulty settings allow scaling to your current level, among other things.

IIRC the plot and difficulty get pretty wild for a bit towards the end of chapter 3, it's good.

I'm partially into Chapter 3 now and it's getting better, for sure.

I just hope that the difficulty picks up any time soon, because I'm playing on second hardest difficulty and with half of the optional toggles on and I don't really feel like I'm getting challenged.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I'm partially into Chapter 3 now and it's getting better, for sure.

I just hope that the difficulty picks up any time soon, because I'm playing on second hardest difficulty and with half of the optional toggles on and I don't really feel like I'm getting challenged.

The game balance is reverse XCOM: early game is certainly way too easy and late game is a lot more challenging. There certainly will be missions that you find challenging, and you can always change difficulty anyway.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Looking to get into a roguelike (not lite), love StS, Hades and Dead Cells. But have honestly been finding myself more interested in the graphical simple more complex and deep games like dwarf fortress these days.

So looking at the traditional roguelike world and happy for a large learning curve for a large long time reward.

Wondering what the best starter point would be?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

idrismakesgames posted:

Looking to get into a roguelike (not lite), love StS, Hades and Dead Cells. But have honestly been finding myself more interested in the graphical simple more complex and deep games like dwarf fortress these days.

So looking at the traditional roguelike world and happy for a large learning curve for a large long time reward.

Jupiter Hell is a nice modern and streamlined one that's one of my personal favorites. It's basically Doom the Roguelike (the sequel).

Tales of Maj'Eyal is another one of my favorites. This one has more of an open world structure and has a very large variety of classes to play as and has a big focus on killing hordes of enemies.

Cogmind is a strange and extremely deep one that has you play as a robot that strips parts from the enemy robots and attached them to themselves. Very unique but can be quite difficult to get into.

You can also pop into the Roguelike thread for a billion more recommendations
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is probably my favourite of the old school roguelikes. The race+religion combinations allow for some really diverse and interesting playstyles. It's also pretty deadly so it encourages using every possible tool at your disposal. There's almost always a way out of any situation, just got to think about it.

I'll second TOME, there's a lot to dig into in that game.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 8, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

idrismakesgames posted:

Caves of Qud

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Caves of Qud, absolutely 100%. There's plenty of good roguelikes out there, but very few of them have Qud's maximalist flair. Like, the only other example that comes to mind is NetHack, which has a much smaller scope and is kind of rough to play.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For games that are relatively simple to start off with for someone who hasn't played roguelikes before I'd suggest Brogue and DoomRL as well as the already-mentioned DCSS.

idrismakesgames
Nov 4, 2022
Thanks all. I have bought Caves of Qud and will first try Dcss as I heard it good for people new to the traditional roguelikes.

Qud looks insane and almost a dream game. Feel like going in after getting some experience under my belt might make it more special.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Golden Krone Hotel is a very approachable roguelike designed around being a vampire. Avoid light, switch between human and vampire forms, and use your powers and tactics to get to the top of the tower and slay the vampire prince. It's really good!!!

Dungeonmans is goon-made, not too complicated, and has cool graphics and a lighthearted sense of humor. It can still be pretty punishing, but I think it would be a solid introduction to roguelikes for someone who hadn't played many before.

DoomRL is exactly what it says on the tin -- Doom as a roguelike. Jupiter Hell is the spiritual successor but honestly I still like the original way better.

Brogue is stripped-down and minimalist, but in (imo) a good way. No classes, just get dropped straight into the dungeon and make do with what you find. Gorgeous ascii art too.

Qud also rules, and DCSS is fine, my personal qualms with it aside.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for a game with a mission/quest style that basically has a "set-em-up, knock-em-down" type of structure. In other words, you go to X area, fill up your mission log/journal with a big ole To Do list of quests you can easily track, maybe even track multiple quests in the corner of the screen or something, and then just work your way around, striking them all off the list until you cleanly complete everything in the area and can move onto the next place.

Examples:
WoW
Dragon Age Inquisition

It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG or even an open world game, but those genres do tend to be the most suited for this kind of "To Do List" type of loop.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a game with a mission/quest style that basically has a "set-em-up, knock-em-down" type of structure. In other words, you go to X area, fill up your mission log/journal with a big ole To Do list of quests you can easily track, maybe even track multiple quests in the corner of the screen or something, and then just work your way around, striking them all off the list until you cleanly complete everything in the area and can move onto the next place.

Examples:
WoW
Dragon Age Inquisition

It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG or even an open world game, but those genres do tend to be the most suited for this kind of "To Do List" type of loop.

Diablo 3's adventure mode would do this for you. 5 acts, 5 missions per act, and they cycle with each new instance, ad infinitum. There's also the seasonal path, which gives you specific quests to achieve to unlock a badass armor set for your character class.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Diablo 3's adventure mode would do this for you. 5 acts, 5 missions per act, and they cycle with each new instance, ad infinitum. There's also the seasonal path, which gives you specific quests to achieve to unlock a badass armor set for your character class.

Thanks! However, while D3's adventure mode does give you a big list of things to do, it's not quite what I'm looking for. That was probably my fault for an incomplete description though.

What I'm looking for is while you're on your travels, you can go to some place with an empty quest journal, then be able to go around and build up a big list of stuff to do from people or wanted signs or notes or whatever. The "gathering" of the quests that need doing, the building of the To Do list, is part of the fun.

In D3's adventure mode, as soon as you start, everything you need to do has already been laid out for you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might check out the Avernum series (here's game 1). They're oldschool RPGs, so the core game loop is "visit a new town, talk to the NPCs, learn what their problems are, go solve those problems, get a reward".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreatGreen posted:

Examples:
WoW
Dragon Age Inquisition

Have you heard the good word of our Lord and Saviour; Final Fantasy XIV? :catholic:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks! However, while D3's adventure mode does give you a big list of things to do, it's not quite what I'm looking for. That was probably my fault for an incomplete description though.

What I'm looking for is while you're on your travels, you can go to some place with an empty quest journal, then be able to go around and build up a big list of stuff to do from people or wanted signs or notes or whatever. The "gathering" of the quests that need doing, the building of the To Do list, is part of the fun.

In D3's adventure mode, as soon as you start, everything you need to do has already been laid out for you.

Ahh I got you. I'm assuming you've done Elder Scrolls, then?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You might check out the Avernum series (here's game 1). They're oldschool RPGs, so the core game loop is "visit a new town, talk to the NPCs, learn what their problems are, go solve those problems, get a reward".

Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you heard the good word of our Lord and Saviour; Final Fantasy XIV? :catholic:

I've never played it but have heard plenty of good things, thanks!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Ahh I got you. I'm assuming you've done Elder Scrolls, then?

Every one of em!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Examples:
WoW
Dragon Age Inquisition

Kingdoms of Amalur is an homage to WoW and open world questathons. The remaster “Re-Reckoning” was pretty well received.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Having just finished Blasphemous 2 I'm looking for something else along the lines of
  • Blasphemous 1/2
  • Hollow Knight
  • The Messenger
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
  • Celeste (White Palace was a breeze after this one...)
As you can see, combat and Metroidvania aspects are optional.

Some games I've tried that didn't hit the spot:
  • Shovel Knight: made me realize I don't like platfomers that emphasize momentum
  • Dead Cells: good game, but not having designed levels makes the platforming boring
  • Foregone: very meh, also badly done fake pixel graphics
  • Sundered: made a better impression that Foregone but still meh
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: got pretty far in this one but the combat was just too tedious

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

loose-fish posted:

Having just finished Blasphemous 2 I'm looking for something else along the lines of
  • Blasphemous 1/2
  • Hollow Knight
  • The Messenger
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
  • Celeste (White Palace was a breeze after this one...)
As you can see, combat and Metroidvania aspects are optional.

Some games I've tried that didn't hit the spot:
  • Shovel Knight: made me realize I don't like platfomers that emphasize momentum
  • Dead Cells: good game, but not having designed levels makes the platforming boring
  • Foregone: very meh, also badly done fake pixel graphics
  • Sundered: made a better impression that Foregone but still meh
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: got pretty far in this one but the combat was just too tedious

Ori 2 basically has Hollow Knight combat instead of whatever they were doing with the first game, it's really good and I was pretty eh on the first

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

loose-fish posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest: got pretty far in this one but the combat was just too tedious
Wait, tedious combat in Ori? As in, the "monsters are just helpful stepping stones" Ori? Or did I confuse games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Wait, tedious combat in Ori? As in, the "monsters are just helpful stepping stones" Ori? Or did I confuse games?
I think it's more that when you actually need to kill something, you just have to click until it dies. Gonna second Ori 2 - they improved the combat system a lot and even gave you weapons that completely trivialize it if you feel like skipping it.

Also, probably old and obvious, but Super Meat Boy is kind of the mechanical predecessor to Celeste?