Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baddog posted:

This can't be good, even if it's nominally filtered? Enclosed tight crawlspace would get greasy and nasty as hell.

Inspector flagged a similar thing on a house we really wanted, although it was a hood venting into the space between 1st/2nd floors.

It's not good at all. I've seen some that had been venting to crawlspaces for decades and it's an absolute mess down there. It also attracts insects and rodents as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Motronic posted:

It's not good at all. I've seen some that had been venting to crawlspaces for decades and it's an absolute mess down there. It also attracts insects and rodents as a bonus.

Who doesn’t love waste grease flavored rats? They’ve got the John Spartan seal of approval.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Baddog posted:

This can't be good, even if it's nominally filtered? Enclosed tight crawlspace would get greasy and nasty as hell.

Inspector flagged a similar thing on a house we really wanted, although it was a hood venting into the space between 1st/2nd floors.

Longevity usually isn’t a concern for flips sadly :/

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

love a crawl space full of rancid grease. Bet those places smell really pleasant on hot summer days.

Ventilation is really not a place where you want to get cheeky and minimize for appearances. I find it hard to believe a device vacuuming next to the range is pulling nearly enough air to stop fumes from going upwards anyway.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My house had one that vented through the crawl space and outside. I doubt it vents into the crawl space but depends up your frank or whoever.

Mine was useless because physics.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Vent UP, stupid!

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
We have an intake vent right down the middle of the (electric) range. It vents down and out through a nearby exterior wall of the kitchen into the backyard. Seems to do its job and no issues with smell or anything from what I can tell. Cleaning the intake area on the range sucks rear end though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Luckily, downdrafts don't even work, so there's minimal concern of filling your crawl space with fumes and grease

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They do kind of work when run on high, but at the cost of sending unnecessarily large amounts of conditioned air outside.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

They do kind of work when run on high, but at the cost of sending unnecessarily large amounts of conditioned air outside.

If the pan is shallow enough, if the volume to be removed is low enough......

These are for display kitchens, not for people who routinely cook.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not like it's an impossible engineering challenge to suck fumes downward.
There are downdraft kilns for ceramics that pull thousands of CFMs, it's just a matter of how much you wanna spend, how much noise you can tolerate, and how much maintenance you can handle.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Motronic posted:

I’m no fire marshal or home inspector but this seems like it would also be a crazy fire hazard. Like, when I’m camping and want to start a fire fast I throw kindling and accelerant at the base of the fire.

Basically soaking the structure under your house in a layer of cooking grease feels like the sort of thing that is very not good from a “I don’t want to burn down my house” standpoint.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

It's not like it's an impossible engineering challenge to suck fumes downward.
There are downdraft kilns for ceramics that pull thousands of CFMs, it's just a matter of how much you wanna spend, how much noise you can tolerate, and how much maintenance you can handle.

I bolded the #1 problem.

Maintenance is absolutely another, but because they simply don't work as they currently exist for any serious cooking and won't at any reasonable db level it's a hard sell to try to "fix" this when it's already a solved problem with a hood. We're not just talking about smoke and/or odors here. The amount of grease in the filter plates of my big boy full depth hood after doing something like searing meat is just.......amazing. And all I've got to do is throw them in the dishwasher. Almost none of that is going to make it into a downdraft system - at least not any I've seen. So the littler that does is a maintenance nightmare and the rest is even worse. Because it's all over your ceiling, floor, cabinets, HVAC system, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol yeah I would never have one in my home, I'm just kinda responding to the "downdraft, that's impossible, fumes must go up" kinda posts upthread. I bet if you had a weird commercial kitchen situation where you needed to go down, you'd just do it with some big expenses and cope with the jet engine noise.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

lol yeah I would never have one in my home, I'm just kinda responding to the "downdraft, that's impossible, fumes must go up" kinda posts upthread. I bet if you had a weird commercial kitchen situation where you needed to go down, you'd just do it with some big expenses and cope with the jet engine noise.

I mean.....I guess, but then you're need a shitload of makup air.

I don't think this is a problem of "engineers haven't come up with the solution". I think it's a "physics says lol no".

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Baddog posted:

It's not public, it's a private organization/club. But a lot of them are hurting, membership dwindling, and are opening up a bit. I've got a friend who says he drinks in his local one all the time and is a big fan of the very cheap beers. Might be worth it to stick your head in, say you live across the street and are curious, make some conversation. You couldn't be a member, but they might say it's cool to come have a drink with them.

The absolute cheapest night I don't really remember was at a Royal Canadian Legion hall (Canada's VFW) where going in mistaking it for the restaurant we were looking for turned into drinking dollar pints of unexpectedly good beer until last call with vets who knew how to party and were very excited some new people showed up

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
So I'm renting and expect to continue to do so for at least the next five years, but want to start thinking about buying, 5-10 years out. Assuming my income stays stable and I don't suddenly turn completely profligate, I can expect to continue socking away a decent nest egg without otherwise impacting my retirement plans. I'm currently at a spot where I theoretically have the savings for a 20% downpayment for a place worth ~4x my gross income, so I'm curious what the general thinking is on disregarding the various rules of thumb on affordability in order to grab someplace with a higher monthly cost by relying on savings as a fallback if my income isn't as stable as I hope over the lifetime of the mortgage.

So, for example, say the rule of thumb puts me at an upper bound of $400k. If I wanted to spring for $500k and eat the higher monthly expense, what kind of warchest do I need to make this not too high a risk to bear?

Ultimately, I obviously just need to do the math and figure out my risk tolerance, but I guess I'm looking for input on things that I might need to factor into my thinking that I'm not aware of. I think I've got a handle on the obvious things which could make my assessment too rosy (closing fees; insurance; HOA dues; property tax; misc maintenance costs; hell, even furniture to upgrade from my 800sqft apartment to something with a little more space), but I'm curious what else there might be to consider.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 6, 2023

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
You may have trouble getting approved for a mortgage if the bank doesn't believe you have the income to afford the house unless you spend a decent chunk of your savings on the down payment to lower the overall amount financed. At the end of the day the bank just wants to be convinced they will get their money back from you (and also learned some expensive lessons about approving everyone ever and assuming they'll be able to pay.)

Worst case if you don't manage to sock enough money away and you don't eventually grow to an income level to handle the mortgage it could turn out like a subprime ARM and you won't be able to afford your house. It may leave you vulnerable to economic downturns.

I personally live by a rule of "only buy what you can afford with the money you make now" but I am paranoid and refuse to ever risk losing my home.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

So I'm renting and expect to continue to do so for at least the next five years, but want to start thinking about buying, 5-10 years out. Assuming my income stays stable and I don't suddenly turn completely profligate, I can expect to continue socking away a decent nest egg without otherwise impacting my retirement plans. I'm currently at a spot where I theoretically have the savings for a 20% downpayment for a place worth ~4x my gross income, so I'm curious what the general thinking is on disregarding the various rules of thumb on affordability in order to grab someplace with a higher monthly cost by relying on savings as a fallback if my income isn't as stable as I hope over the lifetime of the mortgage.

So, for example, say the rule of thumb puts me at an upper bound of $400k. If I wanted to spring for $500k and eat the higher monthly expense, what kind of warchest do I need to make this not too high a risk to bear?

Ultimately, I obviously just need to do the math and figure out my risk tolerance, but I guess I'm looking for input on things that I might need to factor into my thinking that I'm not aware of. I think I've got a handle on the obvious things which could make my assessment too rosy (closing fees; insurance; HOA dues; property tax; misc maintenance costs; hell, even furniture to upgrade from my 800sqft apartment to something with a little more space), but I'm curious what else there might be to consider.

A lot of this stuff is going to be hyper-local, and very specific to the place you’re buying. You could start by looking up closing costs in your area. For maintenance, the general guideline is 1-2% of home value per year, but there’s always the chance of a catastrophic issue in the first few years. Realistically though, a lot can change in 5-10 years. Pricing, taxes, fees, legislation impacting closing costs and mortgage rates, etc etc.

What rule of thumb are you talking about? Home value being 4x gross isn’t a super typical barometer. The typical barometer is max 30% of monthly income on monthly housing costs. Even these kinds of rules of thumb could change in 5-10 years.

With the purchase that far out, the only thing you really should be doing is building your savings. You can have a 50% down payment if you want to. Higher down payment = lower monthly cost which = lower monthly payment. Plus the bonus of paying less overall interest, which at current rates could be saving you 100’s of thousands of $. Without raising your income, this is the way to safely stretch your buying power upwards.

At the end of the day from a month to month financial perspective, your monthly payment matters quite a lot, and the on paper value of the home means almost nothing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Additionally what you'll need as a backstop for savings will depend greatly upon your career and industry. You will want a larger fund if you are in a cyclical field (like oil and gas) or have a job where significant amounts of your income are commission (like sales).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

These rules of thumb aren't about how much house you can afford so much as how much mortgage you can service. If you want to spend $100k more than what you "should" don't try to sock away money to buffer an emergency fund: spend the next 5 years saving another $100k to put down to make your loan amount the same as a $400k house.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Got the signed offer letter, rates and closing fees were going crazy so I figured "I'm a smart person, I'll let things settle before locking in." Now I am in the stretch where I need to lock and I timed it PERFECTLY to the 23 year high water mark.

I AM a smart person.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

What rule of thumb are you talking about? Home value being 4x gross isn’t a super typical barometer. The typical barometer is max 30% of monthly income on monthly housing costs. Even these kinds of rules of thumb could change in 5-10 years.

And the 30% really depends. 30% means a lot more to someone making 75k a year vs someone who is making 150k a year where there is more "non-essentials" in the budget that can be axed if needbe.

Generally good advice here though, break it down monthly. Don't overextend. Don't forget maintenance.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and don't try to make it work by opting for an ARM

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m not sure how many people actually do it but calculating 30% off net vs gross income is vastly different. Adjust your lifestyle and purchasing power accordingly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tristesse posted:

You may have trouble getting approved for a mortgage if the bank doesn't believe you have the income to afford the house unless you spend a decent chunk of your savings on the down payment to lower the overall amount financed. At the end of the day the bank just wants to be convinced they will get their money back from you (and also learned some expensive lessons about approving everyone ever and assuming they'll be able to pay.)

Worst case if you don't manage to sock enough money away and you don't eventually grow to an income level to handle the mortgage it could turn out like a subprime ARM and you won't be able to afford your house. It may leave you vulnerable to economic downturns.

I personally live by a rule of "only buy what you can afford with the money you make now" but I am paranoid and refuse to ever risk losing my home.

If you are trying to get a loan for more than the bank is willing to give you, you are loving up.

They offered us, like, 60% more than we wound up taking. There is no way in gently caress we could have afforded it, I don't know what kind of crazy loving math they use.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

They offered me up to $1.2 million (loan amount).

My budget was nearly half.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
When I first started looking for a house, the bank pre-approved me for 10x my salary. I ended up buying a house that was 1.5x.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Leperflesh posted:

and don't try to make it work by opting for an ARM

Oh man, this reminds me a guy I work with bought a house he probably shouldn't have with a 7/7 ARM. He's ok for like 5 1/2 more years, but I wouldn't want to be in that position. (Yes I typed that right, it's a product our credit union has (we both bank at the same CU)) It only adjust every 7 years

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 6, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

So I'm renting and expect to continue to do so for at least the next five years, but want to start thinking about buying, 5-10 years out. *snip*

This is a really good website and generally accurate. We've used it to do a lot of financial modeling and the numbers when we signed came out very very close to what the calculator showed us.

https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/

I plugged in 400k house (about average if you're not near a major urban area?) at 6.7%, $100/mo HOA, 1.1% annual property tax, PMI, and 10% down payment. It comes out as

$3,023.00/mo
$40,000 down payment

Plan on another $12,000-16,000 in closing costs and another $5k in random "I need to fix this so the house doesn't burn down/flood" fixes in the first year.

So like, $50,000 in the bank
$3100/mo mortgage + property tax payment

You should be making $9300/mo after taxes or about ~$130k pre tax household income to afford that house. Then tack on your 6 month financial cushion

For 500k (probably what that house will cost in 5 years)
500k house @ 5.2%, $125 HOA, 1.1% property tax, PMI, 10% (NOTE: this has a lower interest rate of 5.2%, i'm making a BIG assumption that rates will be lower in 5 years)

$3,325.17/mo payment
$50,000 down payment

So like, $70,000 in the bank
$3350/mo mortgage + property tax payment

You should be making $10050/mo after taxes or about ~$138k pre tax household income to afford that house. Then tack on your 6 month financial cushion

of course you can game this buy taking an ARM loan which will get you a lower monthly payment, and gamble that rates will be lower in 5 years, but you won't find many (or any?) people in this thread that suggest this. Our interest only ARM HELOC went from $499/mo to over $1100 currently :suicide: but it got us into the house and we thankfully can afford to eat that (although we're agressively paying down the principle now) anyways buyer beware ARM can and likely will gently caress you, they wouldn't offer them if they didn't plan on making money from them

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 6, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

I plugged in 400k house

$3,023.00/mo
$40,000 down payment

I'm still startled when I see these numbers. You will pry my 3% mortgages from my cold, dead hands (likely literally!).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

You're probably not getting a 6.7% today unless you're buying a fuckton of points. Things have gotten so much worse than even 4 weeks ago.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I looked at FRED and they say it's 7.49 and nerd wallet says ~7.6% so I plugged in 7.6% $400k house

$3241.87/mo incl PMI and property tax

$9750 monthly take home pay or $135,000 annual household income pre tax

https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages/mortgage-rates
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US

edit for annual household income I'm assuming a flat effective combined federal + state income tax rate of 15% which would be pretty much dead accurate for NC (flat 5%) but probably a couple thou low for someone in california (~7.5%)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 6, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Honestly I don't think doing an ARM right now would be that bad a move. Putting aside the fact that prices are likely to drop over the next year.

In 5 years:

If rates are lower (hopefully), refinance to a fixed
If rates are around the same or a little higher, refinance to a new ARM
If rates are a lot higher (kinda hard to imagine, but ok), and housing prices are somehow up, sell and go back to square one.
If rates are a lot higher and housing prices are way down - the bank bought themselves a house.

This was my strategy when I first bought back in middle/late 90's.

What am I missing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

An ARM might make sense for some people but not if you can't afford a traditional mortgage.

At that point you're taking the kind of risk that might work out might gently caress up a significant portion of your life

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We bought using an ARM/ARM HELOC combo in early 2020 but it was a "big gamble" and we lucked out and last year we were able to refinance and lock in a 30 year fixed @ ~3.25%. We looked at our current salaries and career trajectories (and a baby on the way :sweatdrop:) and decided it was the right move for us at the time as we were currently in a 1bdm apartment

If house prices stay high and rates drop in 5-7 years it's a big win, but financial ruin if rates rocket to 10% or more. Euro inflation is "only" 4.5% but inflation is "down" because of russia/energy prices messing with YoY CPI numbers. The fed could go up or down it's hard to tell, the economy is just really rockin' still

We can definitely talk about what options are out there and various strategies but I would hesitate to strongly recommend someone step into an ARM for their starter home right now

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baddog posted:

Honestly I don't think doing an ARM right now would be that bad a move. Putting aside the fact that prices are likely to drop over the next year.

In 5 years:

If rates are lower (hopefully), refinance to a fixed
If rates are around the same or a little higher, refinance to a new ARM
If rates are a lot higher (kinda hard to imagine, but ok), and housing prices are somehow up, sell and go back to square one.
If rates are a lot higher and housing prices are way down - the bank bought themselves a house.

This was my strategy when I first bought back in middle/late 90's.

What am I missing?

You're not really missing anything other than those last two options being "things people generally actively plan to avoid." If those are within your risk tolerance/desperation profile then go for it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hadlock posted:

We bought using an ARM/ARM HELOC combo in early 2020 but it was a "big gamble" and we lucked out and last year we were able to refinance and lock in a 30 year fixed @ ~3.25%. We looked at our current salaries and career trajectories (and a baby on the way :sweatdrop:) and decided it was the right move for us at the time as we were currently in a 1bdm apartment

If house prices stay high and rates drop in 5-7 years it's a big win, but financial ruin if rates rocket to 10% or more. Euro inflation is "only" 4.5% but inflation is "down" because of russia/energy prices messing with YoY CPI numbers. The fed could go up or down it's hard to tell, the economy is just really rockin' still

We can definitely talk about what options are out there and various strategies but I would hesitate to strongly recommend someone step into an ARM for their starter home right now

I think you have to be prepared for the "cut your losses and walk away" strategy, but I think out of the 4 possibilities I outlined it is the least likely one to occur. My only hesitancy on the ARM-for-a-starter-home right now would be that everything is screaming to me that housing has to break here, prices are going to have to come down a lot. But I've thought that for a year now, and we're still nearly unchanged.

I have a friend who bought a lovely condo in a terrible location right before 2008, ended up insanely upside down on it, and was insistent that it would be morally wrong to just put it on the bank. ("I pay my debts!") I think even with the runup we've had it was only relatively recently that he got + on it again (really bad condo). Probably just in time for the next correction. Sure, having a foreclosure on your credit is going to suck for awhile (7 years right?), but I don't think it is the end of the world or even "financial ruin" by any means.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baddog posted:

My only hesitancy on the ARM-for-a-starter-home right now would be that everything is screaming to me that housing has to break here, prices are going to have to come down a lot. But I've thought that for a year now, and we're still nearly unchanged.

And I think that supply and demand is a thing, and supply is not meeting demand and it will take along time to build out of that situation. So people who are well monied will continue to buy and hold homes, perhaps rent them out for the forseeable future. At best there may be a pause or slowing of increase.

What theory are you operating on that you think prices will fall other than "regular people can't afford a home to live in"? Because that's never stopped capitalism before. In fact it just adds to economic inequality, a thing we've been doing in spades for quite some time now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

What theory are you operating on that you think prices will fall other than "regular people can't afford a home to live in"? Because that's never stopped capitalism before. In fact it just adds to economic inequality, a thing we've been doing in spades for quite some time now.

Is this where we loop through the "investors are buying up all the houses" conversation again for three pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Motronic posted:

And I think that supply and demand is a thing, and supply is not meeting demand and it will take along time to build out of that situation. So people who are well monied will continue to buy and hold homes, perhaps rent them out for the forseeable future. At best there may be a pause or slowing of increase.

Unlikely that the demand line for a single family house in the burbs is a near vertical.

Hadlock posted:

Is this where we loop through the "investors are buying up all the houses" conversation again for three pages

Even for investors! But point taken, hah. I just wanted to push back on the "arms-are-evil" line of thought a bit.