Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I thought they said he'd be "more challenging" than uber lilleth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Swilo posted:

Not sure if the stream was inaccurate, the news article has been updated, or that person was trolling, but it's false:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/24009151/descend-into-the-diablo-iv-developer-update-livestream

wudijo has a video that showed the wording was as appeared in the OP. the blog was apparently later updated

George H.W. oval office posted:

This still looks confusing even with the update.

Are hardcore players limited to map and statues only or not?

it doesn’t seem like they’re limited to just those two, no. i think the confusing wording is indicating that progress towards statues/waypoints is still separate from SC progress towards the same items

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tonetta posted:

I thought they said he'd be "more challenging" than uber lilleth?

~ 2:13:20 in yesterdays stream. going to be less difficult because you are having to gather and use (regardless of outcome) one time use consumables to summon the fight

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He'll be in a tiny room with a two second stun at the beginning to simulate loading into his boss arena.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

He'll be in a tiny room with a two second stun at the beginning to simulate loading into his boss arena.

This is a canon power for him

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Duriels the lord of pain not the lord of warm fuzzies.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it's called the "end game" because I got to it and uninstalled

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Perhaps a shitbrained take, but I don't think there was anything special about Diablo 2's endgame, either. The game came out at the right time, with no competitors, and it simulated a basic MMORPG loop before WOW existed. If you were bored and online between the years of 2000 and 2005 it was the ideal way to waste many hours on a weekend.

I'm not sure you can capture that experience now, with Diablo 2 fans being in their 30s and 40s, and younger gamers having endless other options to unlock those lizard brain GET LOOT endorphins.

It's OK to consider Diablo 4 "good" if you spent 50 hours and got to level 70.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

harrygomm posted:

wudijo has a video that showed the wording was as appeared in the OP. the blog was apparently later updated

it's the d4 thread so I honestly wasn't sure, but lmfao

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I think D2 endgame is fine. Yeah, you heard me. We compare things to what came before, not the future. Of course D2 and especially D1 are primitive but we're hard on D4 for having worse itemization, therefore worse carrots, therefore less end game retention than D2. That's all there is to it. We want D4 to show up with some more polished endgame activities and loops than a 20 year old title AND a 10 year old one that provided the direct template for it. I'll pan D4 for shedding all its end game activities in favor of nothing but NMDs, that's a design foul up. D2 just functions as intended and "fight the boss again for stuff!" is a fine motivation when the game is good and you feel rewarded. How many of us would give Duriel and Andariel in D4 another run just for the novelty of the fight?

Is Baalphisto Pindle run x900 better than NMD x900? Not much if you try to look at it objectively, yet one activity draws people and the other doesn't. It's as simple as the slot machine working and giving up the goods every so often.

There's also the fact that D2 end game is more involved than the farm runs, as actually clearing Hell per character is a pretty good final challenge itself.

I don't think it's a vacuum of "well, D2 was all we had and knew!" It had better itemization so it worked. We wanted more and got it as the genre evolved, but D4 still gets beat by competitors that have better itemization and appeal. What do we want most in D4 now, even with the S2 good news? ... Better itemization news too!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah if you weren’t hacking, getting to the end was plenty

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
i’ve had a couple friends get into diablo 2 R in the past year who have never played an arpg before. it has a good loop to The Modern Gamer regardless of time since release or market competition. if i could stomach playing it more i’d probably be playing that instead of D4 as my arpg time waster tbh

it’s got some english on it, but i’m not designer enough to figure out what

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
im... prepared to play more d4 but after linking the changes to my casual dad bros they all ignored me. dad gaming is dead for diablo 4

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

D2 actually had good items so that dopamine hit from a rune or unique or set item dropping was/is so good

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

D2R just had a season reset. If you've never experienced it, it's good. They've done some good balance passes since release that opened up more hell viable builds. It's still D2 though and sorc is head and shoulders above all others without an enigma. With enigma, assassin is actually the best.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I'm glad they're implementing changes that anyone playing the game for 3 weeks could have told them they needed many months ago.

I liked d4, but it's still not enough to get me to launch the game again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

D2R just had a season reset. If you've never experienced it, it's good. They've done some good balance passes since release that opened up more hell viable builds. It's still D2 though and sorc is head and shoulders above all others without an enigma. With enigma, assassin is actually the best.

Started tonight but I’m doin hammerdin

When I was younger I never played much beyond normal/nightmare so endgame and item chasing stuff will all be new to me

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Started tonight but I’m doin hammerdin

When I was younger I never played much beyond normal/nightmare so endgame and item chasing stuff will all be new to me

Hammerdins great and when you get bored throwing hammers in a circle you can make an Uber crushing smite paladin!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This ain't the D2 thread, but it's the D2: 2 thread so close enough. :v:

In terms of actually getting a character together, like for one of the common meta builds, how long did this take from scratch? I guess everyone who wasn't a sorc needs an Enigma rune and I vaguely remember sorcs needing some weird follower setup for infinite mana, but my memory from the time is still that it'd take a disgusting amount of time just to get to the point where you have that build.

I haven't played it in over 20 years and remember it completely falling over for me past just playing the campaign on the different difficulties so in the modern gaming context it feels like D2 characters would take literally forever.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Mailer posted:

This ain't the D2 thread, but it's the D2: 2 thread so close enough. :v:

In terms of actually getting a character together, like for one of the common meta builds, how long did this take from scratch? I guess everyone who wasn't a sorc needs an Enigma rune and I vaguely remember sorcs needing some weird follower setup for infinite mana, but my memory from the time is still that it'd take a disgusting amount of time just to get to the point where you have that build.

I haven't played it in over 20 years and remember it completely falling over for me past just playing the campaign on the different difficulties so in the modern gaming context it feels like D2 characters would take literally forever.

Not quite. D2 is a very quick and easy game

It took me like 3 casual days to get an 80 lvl sorceress on new ladder hardcore. Granted I know the game inside out and could probably do it without a monitor at this point. Its even doable in a day if you poopsock.

Its all about rushing to act5 with other players, and then doing baal runs to 60. Then doing the same on Nightmare, at which point you are about lvl 75

Hell is where you hit the wall and you have to find stuff to make your character stronger.

I'll just give you a few hints for your Sorc. These runewords are very easy to make and can boost your early game

Early stuff you make on Normal:
-Leaf staff (this you can make by act2 normal, Drognan will sell you 2socket staves)
-Lore helmet (again very easy to make as a low lvl)

Stuff you make to transition from Nightmare to Hell:
-Memory staff (you can make this when preparing for Hell)
-Insight polearm (on your merc, this is the mana item you mentioned)
-Smoke armor (chunk of resistances to survive hell better as a pleb)

And then once you can play hell somewhat comfortably
-Spirit sword + Spirit shield

edit: You actually do not /have/ to be a sorceress as a returning player. Make what you like and squeeze all the fun out of the game. Then if you get the slot machine itch you can make you a MF Sorc and start finding stuff.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 6, 2023

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
You can get some budget builds up and running hell difficulty pretty easily, but most meta builds with enigma are far out of your reach until hundreds if not thousands of hours of grinding and trading up.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
tempest roar from a loot goblin hell yeah shred druid here i come

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

wuffles posted:

I'm glad they're implementing changes that anyone playing the game for 3 weeks could have told them they needed many months ago.

I liked d4, but it's still not enough to get me to launch the game again.

Same, and also a part of seeing sweeping positive changes like this is waiting for when they are done addressing all of it as they plan to. Why burn myself out knowing I'm playing an inferior/unfinished thing.

And I hope they toss a bone to the early buyers too, because people who kept playing are the ones who'll eventually let others know that the game's good now.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Hell is where you hit the wall and you have to find stuff to make your character stronger.
See this is what I miss in D4. Things rarely get hard enough that you need to rethink your build or find better gear, and when you do there are basically one or two viable builds per character and gathering gear feels less like hunting for good stuff and more like It’s Spreadsheet Time.

D2 had the Duriel match which was a total reality check brickwall, and hell was overwhelming as well at first, but with D4 I never felt anything like that.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bisse posted:

D2 had the Duriel match which was a total reality check brickwall, and hell was overwhelming as well at first, but with D4 I never felt anything like that.

To my experience jumping from T2 to T3 ain't nothing to fret about unless you are on Hardcore, but T3 to T4 certainly feels like a huge leap in difficulty. However, boosting your character to meet the challenge is somewhat of a lackluster procedure. All you have to do is get into helltides and follow a brainless path from event to event gathering tons and tons of gear, much of which is Ancestral. Before you know it you are set for NMDs and then its just the grind to 100, for which you only need to reach sigil rank 45 or so. Feels like anything beyond sigil rank 45 is just masochism in terms of progress. You push past NMD 45 just for kicks

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mr. Pickles posted:

other players

This is kinda what I expected.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

one little tidbit from this tweet that I didn't see discussed anywhere yet

https://x.com/Diablo/status/1710324043847487598?s=20

new paragon glyphs and legendary powers

wonder if that's how they'll work in some of the malignant powers?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Those would be class specific right? So i think we'll hear about those on Tuesday.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ehud posted:

one little tidbit from this tweet that I didn't see discussed anywhere yet

https://x.com/Diablo/status/1710324043847487598?s=20

new paragon glyphs and legendary powers

wonder if that's how they'll work in some of the malignant powers?

I am excited to partake in the blood orgy as Lilith commands us to.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Oh god new glyphs. That's a gift horse if I've ever seen one, since it means a whole play session devoted to reassigning paragon points for boards if you do work on an extant eternal character.

I guess I should just ignore my TB rogue and only care about seasonal.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
My D3 memory may be tricking me, but didn't all paragon XP get credited to the eternal account after the season ended? And was shared between all characters?

That was also a nice thing that, while less efficient, still was a fun bonus to look forward to.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

harrygomm posted:

i’ve had a couple friends get into diablo 2 R in the past year who have never played an arpg before. it has a good loop to The Modern Gamer regardless of time since release or market competition. if i could stomach playing it more i’d probably be playing that instead of D4 as my arpg time waster tbh

it’s got some english on it, but i’m not designer enough to figure out what

d2r in particular did a ton to buff down the 20 year old rough edges. game was still good before the remaster, but the age of it was inescapable with a bunch of bullshit like forced resolution (that iirc capped out at like 1024x768?), fps hard capped at 30, petrified game (im)balance and graphics that were clearly 20+ years old. the handful of balance changes that they've made have been very succesful at making a ton of underperforming skills viable enough to use at endgame and the addition of terrorzones gave players a reason to farm areas that otherwise they'd have never gone to. OG D2 definitely had some of that english, yeah, but D2R is truly a few big steps ahead of it.

In its current state D2R plays very readily as basically a rogue like where you can just load in and with no prior knowledge just pick some skills and use whatever items you find and see how far you can get. If someone isn't immediately offput by the age of the game, it's surprisingly easy to get into

queeb posted:

D2 actually had good items so that dopamine hit from a rune or unique or set item dropping was/is so good

yeah it has a bunch of items that if you find them early they're a big deal and will heavily influence your next 20 hours of gameplay and a bunch of items that are a big deal if you find them mid or late game where they'll influence your next, idk, 100+ hours or until the end of the season

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 7, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
what does 'english' mean in this context?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
spice or pizzazz or juice sort of? from the pool term where it's spin that you put on the ball that causes the ball to behave in a way that you would not expect from the apparent physics. basically there's more going on than what you can see just looking at it

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

what does 'english' mean in this context?

I'm guessing from context that it's a certain "je ne sais quoi" or a hard to define quality that makes something unique/special. I've never seen "English" used like that, but I guess if squint you could see it being pulled from the way you add English to a pool ball to make it go in a specific direction? Idk.

I do know that all of this is making me want to finally play D2R, but all of my Diablo playing is mandatory co-op with my wife (we played OG D2 back when we were dating) and playing D2R co-op is much more difficult than playing D4 co-op rn.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you're on pc d2r co-op is literally just making a lobby with a name and password and the other person entering that, it takes all of like 10 seconds to do and as a bonus, d2r does difficulty/reward scaling really well and there's cool synergy between classes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
huh crazy ive never heard the 8ball expression either good to know thank you

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Herstory Begins Now posted:

if you're on pc d2r co-op is literally just making a lobby with a name and password and the other person entering that, it takes all of like 10 seconds to do and as a bonus, d2r does difficulty/reward scaling really well and there's cool synergy between classes

Should have mentioned I'm on PS5! So I would need two console and two TVs to make it happen.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

Oh god new glyphs. That's a gift horse if I've ever seen one, since it means a whole play session devoted to reassigning paragon points for boards if you do work on an extant eternal character.

I guess I should just ignore my TB rogue and only care about seasonal.

Pretty sure the new glyphs will be only for Seasonal characters at least for Season 2 so you won't have to worry about it on Eternal characters.

Class changes might be enough that you'd be redoing skills/paragon boards when the patch hits anyways.

Besides, they strongly hinted at a Paragon board reset button coming in Season 2 as well. It should be mentioned on the 10th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

(that iirc capped out at like 1024x768?),
800x600, baybeeee!