Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Real Mean Queen posted:

We barely have practical land travel

How dare you malign the internal combustion engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

please, if it was bad then someone would do something about it

try focusing on something positive, like next quarter’s record profits!

Profits met projections but failed to meet internal metrics, you’re all being laid off.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

pluto actually is a planet

Pluto can be a planet when Ceres is a planet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

pluto has a bitchmade orbit

pluto has no business in the pantheon of planets

i think we should put rockets on pluto and hurl that poo poo out of our solar system

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Pluto doesn’t give a gently caress what some idiot apes named it we can’t even keep our own planet habitable lmao

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Actuary X posted:

Pluto can be a planet when Ceres is a planet

I support this, but mainly to tidy up the dumb astrology star sign planet associations that currently have a bunch of planets pulling double duty. I would also pull in Eris for this purpose.

I don't care about the pedantic astronomy arguments for classifications, if they didn't want it to be a planet they shouldn't have named it after a god.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Pluto is the nastiest skank bitch I’ve ever met. DO NOT TRUST HER. She is a fugly slut!

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Puppy Burner posted:

Pluto is the nastiest skank bitch I’ve ever met. DO NOT TRUST HER. She is a fugly slut!

Calm down Eris.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
It is only the time you waste thinking about Pluto that makes it important enough to be a planet

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Triton, moon of Neptune is a far cooler potential Kuyper belt object now trapped in our solar system

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How often do men think about the international astronomical convention in Prague 2006?

mags
May 30, 2008

when she plutos my erissy and makemakes my quaoar

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
But Pluto has a cute heart on it

❤️

mags
May 30, 2008

starkebn posted:

But Pluto has a cute heart on it

❤️

my two year old is learning the planets and her favorite is Pluto because of the heart :3:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mags posted:

when she plutos my erissy and makemakes my quaoar

don't talk about my x

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Microplastics posted:

How dare you malign the internal combustion engine

we’re replacing all the ice with ICEs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
TBF space travel would be easier because the ground is solid and space is mostly empty. Bing bong so simple.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lmao this person is serious

https://twitter.com/_HannahRitchie/status/1710315386917314832

it took me a moment to see the "green rectangle" portion which zero countries are even close to

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

bawfuls posted:

it took me a moment to see the "green rectangle" portion which zero countries are even close to

That's not a rectangle. It's a line. Any value other than 0 is outside it. Also why do less productive countries have to increase their GDP per person? Couldn't they just reduce emissions down to zero (lol) but stay on the same GDP range? Like having a low GDP per capita it's somehow not acceptable?

This person is not serious at all lol

ben shapino has issued a correction as of 17:30 on Oct 6, 2023

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Hot, dry spring meant everything bloomed late this year. Some of my lilies now appear to be attempting to bloom for the second time this year :wth:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Someone re-do that chart but with a linear x-axis because the situation is far far worse than that chart currently makes it out to be lmao

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

ben shapino posted:

Also why do less productive countries have to increase their GDP per person? Couldn't they just reduce emissions down to zero (lol) but stay on the same GDP range?

this is turbo Malthusian ecofascism

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I'm scared someone say something positive

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Yeah we reduced emissions to zero but GDP stayed exactly the same? That's a fail in my books!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We're all going to die

E: gently caress sorry, I'm not good at positive :(

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Microplastics posted:

We're all going to die

Thank you. I feel better now.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Fell Mood posted:

[Biosphere] I'm scared someone say something positive

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
Think about it: some people join suicide cults because they are afraid to die alone. Well guess what?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Not biosphere related but that reminds me of this batshit insane video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FGgwCQ22w

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

Someone re-do that chart but with a linear x-axis because the situation is far far worse than that chart currently makes it out to be lmao

This is great. Love to see how easy pointing to an aspiration is and ignoring reality.

“It’s simple. We kill the Batman decarbonise the global economy.”

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

that chart is a perfect way to illustrate the point that gdp can no longer be the way we measure good/progress, but they're not gonna draw that conclusion

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Microplastics posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bawfuls posted:

lol i like that all of the critical responses are literally just "THIS IS CHINA'S FAULT"

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SaraHor76174949/status/1710167403588378734?s=20
:blastu:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Can we capture the methane and somehow convert it to focaccia?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol that chart doesn't even include land use change or methane emissions

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hmm it seems the infinitely scaling bacteria that would eat all methane from the ocean cannot in fact infinitely scale. Well, I'm sure it's an isolated incident. Infinity is always possible from finite beginnings because economists say so, thus this must be the exception that proves the rule.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://e360.yale.edu/features/chronic-flooding-eastwick-philadelphia?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

quote:

As Waters Rise, a Community Must Decide: Do We Stay or Go?

Faced with more frequent flooding and worse to come, the Philadelphia environmental justice community of Eastwick is grappling with difficult questions about its future: Will levees and flood walls protect them, or should residents abandon their homes and move to higher ground?

The relocation of whole communities, or sections of them, has been pursued throughout the U.S. since the 1980s. In New Jersey, for example, a state-run program called Blue Acres buys chronically flooded properties from willing sellers at market prices, then demolishes them and creates open space to absorb future floods. The program has bought about 1,000 such homes since its inception in the 1990s, mostly along the Atlantic Coast and Delaware Bay, and has helped displaced residents find new homes in safer areas. But critics say these efforts are dwarfed by the challenges of climate change, which is expected to raise the state’s sea level about two feet by 2050.

Nationally, the Federal Emergency Management Agency bought some 40,000 properties between 1989 and 2019 through its managed-retreat program, according to a paper by A.R. Siders, who researches climate-change adaptation at the University of Delaware.

Gordon Branham, 71, has lived less than a mile from Eastwick’s Planet Streets since 1982. A disabled Vietnam veteran who said his PTSD is worsened by the constant threat of flooding, Branham said he loves his neighborhood and is open to the proposed land swap. But he worries that the move wouldn’t be protective enough and is considering leaving Eastwick altogether. “I’m not going to move to another potential flood-prone area because we know the seas are going to continue to rise.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

2 feet by 2050? Is that really the projection now?

I know everything is always faster than expected but sea level rise is one of the slowest feedbacks in the system. poo poo like much worse and more frequency wild fires/hurricanes/droughts that lead to the collapse of the global food system are more immediate. Or at least, I thought they were based on biosphere collapse thread osmosis.

Or is 2 feet by 2050 baking in a couple sudden glacial collapses?