Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

When the US has acknowledged using WP as an incendiary weapon rather than as a smokescreen, it typically has been explicitly to drive people out of hardened positions and/or lock them down inside bunkers (might not kill them if they just hole up in cover, but if they can't see out of their fighting position and don't expose themselves, they are sufficiently suppressed).

One of the times the US authorized use of WP for this, it was due to just how thoroughly hardened a bunch of ISIS positions were, making it extremely hard to actually confirm destruction or dig out their fighting positions, so WP was used as an incendiary and also to blind ISIS fighting positions. This was controversial. It was also explicitly not for the purpose of just using WP on soft targets and people, but rather using them to suppress and disrupt hardened fortifications.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2017/06/14/iraq/syria-danger-us-white-phosphorus

Color me corrected. :-)
Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think it's the other way around, but I am not knowledgeable enough to be certain. I know that from an Infantry standpoint, that would be used under different tactical scenario, particularly since Napalm is air delivered.

Napalm is a burning gel that can be slung off and spread in sheets, and needs chemicals to extinguish, and once it's burned through its gel fuel, it will consume any other combustible matter. It burns slow and hot. We were taught to call this in on harder targets, and larger area targets

WP burns hot as hell, much hotter, but relatively fast. It won't burn through hardened positions/bunkers, and can be extinguished with mud/water/denial of oxygen. (MASH has a fantastic scene on WP treatment). We were taught this was virtually only for soft targets and people.

Their targets had overlap, but much different considerations - the danger close of each varies.

Not an expert, talking out my B-Hole caveat applies.

napalm is definitely better for attacking living targets and hardened targets because it will flow and splash, and once it touches something, it likes to stick. WP is ferociously hot and will burn through a lot of things the uninitiated might not think can burn (everything burns if you try hard enough), but it likes to fall straight down and sit and burn.

But we're comparing different flavors of hell on earth. It's not like any of them are good when sprinkled over your morning corn flakes.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Soviet Union considered WP and all smoke Chemical Weapons, at least in their retrospective look at the Soviet Afghan War by the General Staff College. It was very weird to see them 'brag' about XXX chemical deployments, and then learn that most of them were smoke.

It does make a sort of sense- anyone caught in a smoke grenade is probably breathing not good stuff, and I'm yet to be around smoke that didn't give the at least the faint perfume of CS/Tear Gas.

E- I highly recommend the book. It's a very neat, detailed look at their views of the war, with lessons learned scattered in. I recommend it to anyone interested in counterinsurgency, the war, the region, and anyone who wants to see how America copied their homework during GWOT.

Although military chemistry is better known for mustard gas and poo poo, in practice stuff like flamethrowers and smoke generators were also applied chemistry and you wanted your chemists involved in making best use of em. Chemical corps had similar responsibilities in WW2.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Remember "horseshoe theory?" Because lol
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1709664379312947574

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Those thumbnails make those photos look AI generated. I'm not saying they are, just that the down scaling makes them look fake.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The only time I've seen WP used was for marking targets. Other than that, I heard my old TOC at FOB Shank ended up getting destroyed by a WP 107mm rocket. That certainly would have raised my anxiety level more than the traditional IDF.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Imagine living and working in a building made of wood that previously was a TOC, while the Afghans kept fruitlessly trying to mortar it thinking that it was still the TOC. Oh, and the FOB blimp was next to it, to add to target value. Yeah, that was fun.
Edit: the mortar attacks got so old that I almost got the afghan inshallah attitude and just wanted to sleep through em due to the terrible aim

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 6, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bees everywhere posted:

The only time I've seen WP used was for marking targets. Other than that, I heard my old TOC at FOB Shank ended up getting destroyed by a WP 107mm rocket. That certainly would have raised my anxiety level more than the traditional IDF.

It makes a loving sick appearance in one of the greatest shooters of all time

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The Door Frame posted:

Russian commercial aviation is kind of terrifying in the best of times. They could have just claimed a mechanical malfunction in a poorly maintained jet, incapable of being corrected by the poorly trained flight crew, and that would be a very plausible story that even skeptics could buy

Although here was an Aeroflot crash like a decade or so ago caused by the pilot turning off all pilot assistance aides and letting his kids fly the plane, so it's not like a drunk plane of mostly high rollers is implausible or anything

the regular old commercial mishaps don't usually have grenades involved though

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

OddObserver posted:

FWIW, a lot of Soviet incendiary stuff appears to be thermite based rather than WP (e.g. 9M22S for Grad).

magnesium acshually, those get recorded on video a lot and people always call them WP even though they look quite distinct visually

eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BttoqSbeE

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 6, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Negotiate for peace…. These loving idiots. How does one negotiate for peace with an invader bent on self proclaimed genocide?

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Crab Dad posted:

Negotiate for peace…. These loving idiots. How does one negotiate for peace with an invader bent on self proclaimed genocide?

Because Russia only responded to NATO's aggression! ... no, seriously, that's what their website says they believe.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Marjorie Taylor Greene posted:

In Afghanistan, Biden's woke generals tucked their tail and ran. He dishonored the sacrifices made by every American soldier who fought in the 20-year war, especially those who gave their life for the cause.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

WP is ferociously hot and will burn through a lot of things the uninitiated might not think can burn (everything burns if you try hard enough), but it likes to fall straight down and sit and burn.

Does it burn through concrete?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Does it burn through concrete?

Slowly, yes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

the cause of

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ded posted:

the cause of

Owning the libs.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah the funniest thing here is that Code Pink is at least partly linked to propaganda agencies of the PRC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/05/world/europe/neville-roy-singham-china-propaganda.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

We had a couple land at Ghazni. Bit confusing at first because they sounded like banshees on the way in and then ... pif.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

magnesium acshually, those get recorded on video a lot and people always call them WP even though they look quite distinct visually

eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BttoqSbeE

oh right, magnesium, not WP.

So it burns anywhere near twice as hot and isn't extinguished by water. Cool, cool.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1710227599580955015

quote:

German Chancellor Olaf #Scholz explained his decision not to provide #Ukraine with #Taurus cruise missiles. Scholz said that this is due to "constitutional restrictions and the danger of escalation of the conflict," Politico reported.

Really, Germany? You're still pounding that old drum? Russia must have some wild dirt on Scholz.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Really, Germany? You're still pounding that old drum? Russia must have some wild dirt on Scholz.
It's actually worse than that. I posted it in the D&D Ukraine thread. The main concern is that unlike the British and French missiles, targeting for Taurus could be done autonomously by Ukrainians. The German officials expressed concern that Ukraine might use Taurus to attack the Kerch bridge and Germany couldn't do anything to stop them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

DTurtle posted:

It's actually worse than that. I posted it in the D&D Ukraine thread. The main concern is that unlike the British and French missiles, targeting for Taurus could be done autonomously by Ukrainians. The German officials expressed concern that Ukraine might use Taurus to attack the Kerch bridge and Germany couldn't do anything to stop them.

Yeah? Good. gently caress that bridge, and gently caress the German government if they wouldn't hoot and holler and throw a party every time it took a substantial hit, calling a national holiday when it went down.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1710253483524251662

quote:

Warriors-tankmen of the 25th Air Assault Brigade talk about their combat experience.

Short video with a little bit of combat stories and battle experience from Ukrainian tankers. I thought it was interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PurpleXVI posted:

Short video with a little bit of combat stories and battle experience from Ukrainian tankers. I thought it was interesting.

"the good (at combat) russians are up there" points to the sky.... drat dude

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1710257397795524926

Short clip, but this time it's a brief, positive review of the Stryker APC.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

DTurtle posted:

Wait - so every Storm Shadow that hits a Russian target is actually programmed/set up/whatever by the Brits rather than the Ukrainians? That actually seems worse from a "nuh uh we're not touching you" standpoint

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Discussion Quorum posted:

Wait - so every Storm Shadow that hits a Russian target is actually programmed/set up/whatever by the Brits rather than the Ukrainians? That actually seems worse from a "nuh uh we're not touching you" standpoint

I highly doubt that's true.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

It seems more likely that the british and french missiles are just delivered with the guidance package pre-programmed to only accept targets within Ukrainian territory.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

From what I understood, the French remotely input the target coordinates while the British have personnel in Ukraine directly inputting the target coordinates.

Here's my post from the other thread:
The source is Bild (a tabloid), but they do have good contacts in the government.

Bild - Machine translated posted:

The German government is not planning to deliver the Taurus cruise missiles so urgently requested by the Ukrainian army in the foreseeable future. This was confirmed to BILD from German and Ukrainian government circles.
This is why Scholz does not supply Taurus missiles

Germany has not yet given the government in Kiev a formal denial of the request, but has made it clear internally that the Taurus missiles will not be delivered at present. Thus, Scholz is theoretically keeping the option open for the future, but delivery is considered highly unlikely.

What are the reasons for Scholz's current no to Taurus?

Last week, according to BILD information, the chancellor was asked in an internal meeting of the Foreign Affairs Committee why France and Great Britain supply cruise missiles but Germany continues not to. Scholz responded in the meeting, according to participants, that the two countries "can do something we are not allowed to do, so the question doesn't arise." A clear Taurus rejection!

What Scholz apparently means by this is that the UK and France contribute the geospatial data for missile targets directly themselves, the UK also with its own personnel on the ground.

In addition to the issue of geospatial data and possible personnel, German government officials are also said to have expressed concern that Taurus cruise missiles could be used to hit the Kerch Bridge.

Thus, in recent weeks, there have been talks between British and German government officials in which British representatives tried to convince Germany to supply them. During these talks, according to BILD information, the German side expressed concrete concern that the bridge in Crimea could be destroyed with the German weapon.

There is clear criticism of the chancellor's actions from the CDU. "With the cancellation of the Taurus delivery, Scholz confirms Germany's total failure as a self-proclaimed leading nation for European security and offends our partners like Great Britain and France, who are already supplying cruise missiles," foreign affairs and defense expert Roderich Kiesewetter (60) told BILD.

Kiesewetter still believes a Taurus delivery is the right thing to do, but that the Chancellery's stance is dangerous. "With Taurus, there is a chance for Ukraine to cut off Russian supply lines to Crimea and liberate Crimea, thus ending the war more quickly. Putin's fate hangs on Crimea, Scholz knows that," the CDU politician said. "He is thus deliberately sacrificing the lives of many innocent Ukrainians and opposing coalition partners FDP and Greens, apparently because he does not want Russia to lose. This is bitter and harmful for European and German security!"
Emphasis mine.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 6, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

Emphasis mine.

Scholz is such a piece of poo poo - Kerch bridge is as legit a target as any other Russian target in Ukraine's territory. How is the bridge different from the strikes Ukraine already carries out on Crimea proper?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 6, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1710227599580955015

Bonus points for talking of escalation the day Russia bombed a hospital and slaughtered like a sixth of a village by missiling a wake.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

Scholz is such a piece of poo poo - Kerch bridge is as legit a target as any other Russian target in Ukraine's territory. How is the bridge different from the strikes Ukraine already carries out on Crimea proper?

Because the official german position is that Crimea is Russian territory.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

One difference is that it is significantly harder to hit the bridge without killing civilians than it would be with a bunch of other Russian targets Ukraine could target with German weapons instead.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Fivemarks posted:

Because the official german position is that Crimea is Russian territory.

Bullshit.

e: Also, why would you voluntarily out yourself as a Bild reader?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

e: Also, why would you voluntarily out yourself as a Bild reader?
If you mean me: I’m not. However, they were the original source for the reporting in that article. Everybody else was paraphrasing or citing them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

One difference is that it is significantly harder to hit the bridge without killing civilians than it would be with a bunch of other Russian targets Ukraine could target with German weapons instead.

Yeah I think this is the root of the issue.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PurpleXVI posted:

Short clip, but this time it's a brief, positive review of the Stryker APC.

Can't wait for the Abrams unboxing video

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mlmp08 posted:

Thats not a problem for Germany, this is just Germany being owned by russian money.

If you hit the Kerch bridge during the equivalent of LA traffic you'd still be justified in doing so IMO.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

BaconAndBullets posted:

Pretty sure that's the Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS). It basically combined IR, night vision, and augmented reality into one package with the ability to stream UAV feeds and potential to tie in weapon optics. Pretty crazy stuff. The new helmet, Improved Head Protection System, comes with rails purpose built for mounting the system so I think the Army is thinking it's gonna go into full production.

Do you happen to know who manufactures the system?

E: nevermind I looked it up myself, it's Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

M_Gargantua posted:

If you hit the Kerch bridge during the equivalent of LA traffic you'd still be justified in doing so IMO.

Ehhh legally maybe, but morally, I'd say no. If you schwack the bridge at 3AM and an unlucky civilian is making a redeye drive across, that really sucks but it's war. (I would also argue that "unlucky civilian" just means a dude driving along, not a dude who has maybe been turned into an unwitting suicide bomber)

If you deliberately hit the bridge during rush hour, you've deliberately greatly increased the likely civilian casualties in exchange for... what exactly?