Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sweet timing. Just at the same time we will be putting the first people on Mars and when full autonomous driving will be available.
What are the chances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1710167130186879071?t=gbZcb5F1LIa7PHZw2KsGUA&s=19

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
from his phrasing i'm pretty sure they're also removing the reply/retweet/like buttons from the timeline entirely, no more retweeting or liking unless you click in to the tweet

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Improving engagement and pixel perfection at the same time

Big W

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So to like a post, you'll have to open it first?
Not that I personally care, I think I have not done that in years, but that seems like a... dumb idea?

Also, taking away the dopamine inducer/indicator from the brainbroken tweet monkeys who like to scroll through their own posts to feel good about themselves... yeah, I don't know if that will play well.
But then again, I'm not a genius entrepreneur with a refined sense for aesthetics and readability.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mcbexx posted:

Also, taking away the dopamine inducer/indicator from the brainbroken tweet monkeys who like to scroll through their own posts to feel good about themselves... yeah, I don't know if that will play well.
I bet its so all the blue checks dont keep getting confronted with the fact that their tweets have hugely inflated view counts and zero likes

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also lol that more and more the people dunking on Musk and crying about the downfall of twitter have shinny blue checks on their names

Dumb fuckers

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also lol that more and more the people dunking on Musk and crying about the downfall of twitter have shinny blue checks on their names

Dumb fuckers
the ad revenue scam was really good bait, i've seen a bunch of outright anti-musk/"elon is a fascist" types with blue checks

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

mcbexx posted:

So to like a post, you'll have to open it first?
Not that I personally care, I think I have not done that in years, but that seems like a... dumb idea?

He is hoping it will juice ad numbers and view counts by making people jump back and forth between screens. The risk here is the extra steps will aggravate people and lead to less engagement.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Everything he is doing is for ad revenue (except for hating trans people, that comes from the heart)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WrasslorMonkey posted:

He is hoping it will juice ad numbers and view counts by making people jump back and forth between screens. The risk here is the extra steps will aggravate people and lead to less engagement.

He's doing the exact opposite of what modern UI standards dictate you should. Basically, scrolling is infinite and free and clicks are expensive resources you need to minimize. He's reducing scrolling for the sake of adding a click step which is... the kind of genius UI innovation only a man like Musk can come up with

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

He's doing the exact opposite of what modern UI standards dictate you should. Basically, scrolling is infinite and free and clicks are expensive resources you need to minimize. He's reducing scrolling for the sake of adding a click step which is... the kind of genius UI innovation only a man like Musk can come up with

Really Svejk, really? You actually believe the media … wow.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Yeah, I figured it was to basically double the impressions and add an opportunity to place an ad.

But hey, maybe the urge to feel like a part of the herd by liking/quoting/replying to the latest gem from brilliant minds like IMC or Jorp is so strong for most of the user base that this masterful gambit will pay off.

Twitter is surprisingly not dead after 12 months of Elons reign. Well, it is, it's X now, but every day it keeps shambling on is a day where it might turn itself around because there is no god and every subsequent day has to be dumber than the last.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's not dead yet but they seem to be pulling the noose a bit tighter

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I guess me, a lot a of people, underestimated how addicted the average twitter heavy user is

Elon keeps making GBS threads on them and they keep screaming and complaining but they just cant leave, and cant stop posting and than they start to think "well, is just $8 a month..."

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/xDaily/status/1710261424449294403?s=20

It gets stupider

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Swipe right to send a bomb threat to an elementary school

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Did anyone ever ask for this?

Like legit besides being a worse decision for UI in general, it makes interacting harder for people with disabilities since it is easier to use single clicks than doubletapping or making precise motions to swipe.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Double tap to like sucks so loving much

Also theyve made it where touching a pic while scrolling will darken the screen and bring up an option to share it, instead of letting me scroll

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The accessibility UI people were probably among the first out the door.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol still at musk groveling at that "lazy" guy in a wheelchair because it turned out his contract would require like 300 million if he got fired

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

evilmiera posted:

It's right there in his tweet, "it made his eyes bleed". There is no process, no consulting with UI experts, no A/B testing.

Just catering to the whims of a megalomaniac with a messiah complex between streaming Diablo IV and jumping into a k-hole, who's sense of aesthetics brought you the cybertruck.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

mcbexx posted:

It's right there in his tweet, "it made his eyes bleed". There is no process, no consulting with UI experts, no A/B testing.

Just catering to the whims of a megalomaniac with a messiah complex between streaming Diablo IV and jumping into a k-hole, who's sense of aesthetics brought you the cybertruck.

That, but also it's about ads, not users. I assume the "hidden UI nobody will ever use" stuff is just so he can tell advertisers he is not, in fact, just trying to juice ad numbers with these seemingly malicious changes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

I guess me, a lot a of people, underestimated how addicted the average twitter heavy user is

Elon keeps making GBS threads on them and they keep screaming and complaining but they just cant leave, and cant stop posting and than they start to think "well, is just $8 a month..."

I get how he gets to feeling validated by being right about stupid things like this (even though all the addicts giving him $8 is a substantial downgrade in revenue from the ad dollars they were getting)
he's destroying the business, sure, but he is reading the userbase as exactly what they are

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

so it’s not a positive cash flow at all then lol

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

evilmiera posted:

You could apply this to any one of elons brilliant company decisions in the last 25 years

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Ignoring the servicing costs and 1 billion dollar interest payments, things are looking positive

We have installed hang in there kitty posters throughout the building we don't pay rent on

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

somehow they are able to pay for a staff that has been greatly reduced and had all their cushy benefits cut tho, so they're actually in the red

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

morningdrew posted:

You could apply this to any one of elons brilliant company decisions in the last 25 years

Hm, ok, I might start walking back my thought that this is all about ads. I keep forgetting he is incredibly stupid.

I maybe gave him too much credit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol, lmao

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish I found the idea that the richest man on the planet being one of the absolute dumbest idiots comforting or empowering in some way, instead of just monumentally depressing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

graventy posted:

I wish I found the idea that the richest man on the planet being one of the absolute dumbest idiots comforting or empowering in some way, instead of just monumentally depressing.

i find it very funny and tbh kind of sad
sometimes it feels like the dreams where i am dying are the best i ever had

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Ian Miles Cheong isn't gonna feed himself

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

So we lost roughly 80% of our ad revenue, but are now seeing 7-9% revenue increase per quarter. We'll be cash positive in a year (not including debt servicing or, lol, repayment).

Someone help me figure this out, I'm bad with money.
Our company is thriving. Unregretted user minutes are at an all-time high.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

elon doesnt understand how engagement works

is that why he keeps having kids out of wedlock?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I’m cash flow positive if you exclude rent, healthcare, car payments, and food

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i find it very funny and tbh kind of sad
sometimes it feels like the dreams where i am dying are the best i ever had

It's a EPIC world
:elon:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Is he tired of people seeing how badly he gets ratioed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there’s no way YouTube “barely breaks even”