Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get those ukulele girls out of here loving immediately

Builds are cute, the moms one probably my least favourite. Trailer one was too plain for sure but overall works as a design I think. Loved the grandad/grandson one and the castle party one. Watching them go around the lake was adorable. I still don’t like when they do the animation thing instead of just letting us see more of the actual build.

Winner was good but not my personal fave. I would have sent the other of the bottom two home but I get it.

We back!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put it on as mother in law was around and I noticed it had just started. It’s still a reminder of why I don’t watch the US one, Fox productions are just awful and it’s a shame. Not gonna lie I’ll tune in next week due to the kitties though, that’s a solid challenge.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

One episode in, but this is a pretty enjoyable season so far. Good teams, although holy poo poo the one tech bro needs to calm down. He constantly sounds like he's presenting, and he was pretty much sprinting across the floor to grab bricks at one point. Their build was pretty good, though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't finished the episode yet, but the two guys who met in college are really annoying to me. As soon as one of them said that they met in freshman year college and said he had a startup idea, I checked out. Then Will asks him if he's ever made a lego set that can float, and he instead starts talking about how he wants to have the most legos ever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate one of these tech guys. I think Christopher? You know which one I mean. gently caress that guy.

Yeah after watching a lot of the AUS version in between US seasons, this is pretty rough in comparison. I really dislike how much they pick personas for teams and then are seemingly forcing them to play into those personas. It makes almost all the teams seem very annoying. The corny midwesterners are a bit too much.

Anyway, awesome idea for a challenge, and a lot of the builds came out well too.

It didn't seem like they got to test them out in the water, so I felt like the huge ones falling in wasn't totally the teams' fault.

I don't particularly appreciate that they eliminated a team in the first one. Give out a golden brick and let everyone have at least 2 builds so we get to know them better.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I want someone to sit down with the 'tech bros' and explain to them that phrase is spoken with the same invective as 'douchebags'. It is only used pejoratively, despite all the people trying to 'own it'.

This feels like the weakest group yet. The winning boat would have been bottom middle of any other season, and first-out in AU. Like the team that went home, one of them seemed pretty forthright that they don't really build, and one of the techbros talked about how he only builds from instructions. gently caress the LM:US production staff, stupid bastards are sabotaging and ruining a simple format that's proven to work.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I understand that it’s partly a time constraint difference but AUS is so good at following the teams as they develop their idea from the conception to the revamp/“Scotty Smash” to completion, and highlights what specific challenges each team comes across.

US is just very quick and surface level on the actual construction and goes too hard on the personalities

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

I understand that it’s partly a time constraint difference but AUS is so good at following the teams as they develop their idea from the conception to the revamp/“Scotty Smash” to completion, and highlights what specific challenges each team comes across.

US is just very quick and surface level on the actual construction and goes too hard on the personalities

Does Australia have as many teams? I've noticed that the US show usually gives more air time to the teams that do really well and the teams that go home. The teams that do ok and make it further into the season don't really get much screen time until the lower teams get kicked out. I figured this is due to there being a bunch of teams and only so much time in the episodes.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

AU never has as many teams. US is always 12-13, AU is 8-9.

US s4e1 is also the least time for a first build of either the US or AU and I think it was a terrible choice. They usually have 14-17 hours. 10 is usually what they get for their second smaller build. But even looking at the gamut of second episodes, this season looks like poo poo in comparison.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 5, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
How on earth did
1) the tech bros get on the show with minimal experience making their own designs
2) have that mentioned right from the beginning?

My kid is insisting he's better at building custom stuff than them and hell, maybe he is

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Its season 4, anyone who is good at lego would have been on seasons 1-3. These are just douche bags who have a lot of money and know enough buzz words to appear competent but really aren't, like most tech bros.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Thats a bunch of the official aframe cabins used as backdrops, right? Is that the first time that they've done that on any of the shows?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Its season 4, anyone who is good at lego would have been on seasons 1-3. These are just douche bags who have a lot of money and know enough buzz words to appear competent but really aren't, like most tech bros.

Australia, a country less than a tenth of the size of America, has had no trouble producing 4 seasons worth of awesome builders. The problem isn't the talent pool, it's the producer. Majority of the blame rests on one Antonia M. Green, <Troy Mclure voice> who you may know from 'The Hunt for Hogzilla' and 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not crazy in thinking they give them way less time on the US one, right? I feel like it makes the contestants look a lot worse.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not crazy in thinking they give them way less time on the US one, right? I feel like it makes the contestants look a lot worse.

They usually have around 15 hours for a first build, 10 on the next much smaller build.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Slyphic posted:

Australia, a country less than a tenth of the size of America, has had no trouble producing 4 seasons worth of awesome builders. The problem isn't the talent pool, it's the producer. Majority of the blame rests on one Antonia M. Green, <Troy Mclure voice> who you may know from 'The Hunt for Hogzilla' and 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition'.
I'm looking forward to the AUS season with international contestants. I'm not sure who they'll get but from the US I think the Bearded Oregonians or the Canadian Firefighters could hang with the Australians given less gimmicky challenges and longer timeframes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
These brickmasters are obsessed with scale. I didn't think the last place team did all that poorly. It even had a moving propeller thing at the top.

Second to last, I think the "safety" stuff was overblown (it's a cat it can fall a foot), but their build was also very simple. Good idea with the aquarium thing and the transparent bricks, but other than that, that build had nothing going for it.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 6, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I tried making an abridged cut of an episode of LM:US last season starting by cutting out any time the judges were talking, Will's skits, the most annoying 'social media' moments from the contestants, and I was already below 15 minutes. The final cut was sub 10. I've never felt the need to this with AU.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

These brickmasters are obsessed with scale.

There’s only one man we can send to teach them the error of their ways. The true master of the 1:1 scale build.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Slyphic posted:

I tried making an abridged cut of an episode of LM:US last season starting by cutting out any time the judges were talking, Will's skits, the most annoying 'social media' moments from the contestants, and I was already below 15 minutes. The final cut was sub 10. I've never felt the need to this with AU.

That's because all of the things that need to be cut out of the US version are actually good in the AUS version - the judge talk, Hamish's skits, even the contestant background bits.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
LM cat episode: my kid immediately said " oh no what if the cats think the Legos are a litterbox and pee on it"

He's clearly still traumatized from this happening to his mixed part bin

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Habibi posted:

That's because all of the things that need to be cut out of the US version are actually good in the AUS version - the judge talk, Hamish's skits, even the contestant background bits.

Yeah the cuteness of the challenge got me to watch it, but once again I’m bailing from the US version. Fox reality shows are just unbearable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I guess it was an interesting concept for a challenge this time, but ehhhhhh. It didn't really deliver. A lot of very unimpressive interaction between the slow-flowing lava and the models and then everyone pretended it was cool. Like the water challenge, I once again wonder how the gently caress the builders were supposed to predict what the interactions would be without any real way of testing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PostNouveau posted:

I guess it was an interesting concept for a challenge this time, but ehhhhhh. It didn't really deliver. A lot of very unimpressive interaction between the slow-flowing lava and the models and then everyone pretended it was cool. Like the water challenge, I once again wonder how the gently caress the builders were supposed to predict what the interactions would be without any real way of testing.
They couldn't and that basically is what got the guys sent home and because I guess "controlled lava" isn't a volcano

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Just popping in to say: LEGO Masters Australia S3 was amaaaaaazing. I mean, wow.

And it blew me away how different the final 3 (and final 4 and final 5 even) were to one another stylistically.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

They couldn't and that basically is what got the guys sent home and because I guess "controlled lava" isn't a volcano

I think they ran out of time or something. Their plan would have worked if they had built a trough like they said. Instead they built a large pool area which just collected the lava but didn't give it enough potential energy to move the wheel. It seemed like they had more lava than some of the others, so they really had no excuse. I assume they were all told a general idea of what would happen.

Also, the tech bros and ukulele girls need to go. They are so annoying.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I am torn. I hate the tech bros as people, but they don't suck as builders and this field feels real weak so the show needs them.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I can't find a screencap and I'm on poo poo internet, but did the Techbros just Goatse the Lego Masters?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m behind but watching the cat one now and when the tech bro talked about “doing A/B tests with the kitten prototype” I wanted to die

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

I can't find a screencap and I'm on poo poo internet, but did the Techbros just Goatse the Lego Masters?

I didn’t see Goatse I just saw Bionicles

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The first volcano with the face got robbed those guys should’ve won the challenge.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My wife thinks I'm crazy

pretty sure that's the goatman

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Let's make this easier to talk about.

US seaon 4, episode 3 (us.s04e03)

Poppy and Ben deserved that win, well constructed and well thought out. I also really like Tim & Tim's build. In taking screenshots, once you get Fox to stop loving around with the camera, there's all kinds of good story telling going on all over it.

The tech douches slapped a space marine face on a flat pile of bricks and built a bunch of mono color featureless corridors. And they're still in the front half of this pack.

Jordan and Chris earned that L by building a boring garish obelisk on top of a boring blob of sand and a lot of nothing but also that mechanism needed a titanic amount of lava, well beyond what they should have expected. Paul & Nealita, and Emily & Kelly won't be around much longer, those were both basic and poorly thoughout builds. If Neena & Sam hadn't won last week they'd be on the outs as well. Where the gently caress were the judges when they were going Kale scale with that mountain? Brickman would have stepped in as soon as they got the bottom perimeter down to have a talk with them about realistic expectations.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 16, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I really don't know what Neena and Sam were thinking with that built. I don't know how they didn't think they were in the bottom two when they built a big gray monstrosity. Maybe they genuinely thought they were better than Emilee and Kelly or Paul and Neality, but I don't know how. The build is genuinely bad, and I think they only stuck around because there was some good faith built with their two wins plus Jordan and Chris really poo poo the bed. Hopefully they learned from that, because they could have gone home with that.

Also, thanks for posting the pictures. It's really easy to completely forget what each team built when you can only really see them for a few seconds each.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Also, thanks for posting the pictures. It's really easy to completely forget what each team built when you can only really see them for a few seconds each.
I was a bit surprised I couldn't find anywhere else that pics of them. As little screen time as they all get at this point, it's real easy to entirely forget about some of the builds. I'll make a point to post up spoilered further episode build reminder pics.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I hated how Christopher and Robert were just rubbernecking and taking notes on the other team.
And their overall demeanor.
And them.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

It's weird that twice in one season, there have been teams that fundamentally don't understand how ramps work. I was pausing and slow-mo gawking at Neena and Sams ramp because I can't for the life of my figure out why they thought it would work?

That's not a gap. That's not a 'crack' as Will put it. It's a gaping hole.

And all the corners are like this.

It's not like the spillway has to be completely water tight, just overhang the gaps. This was fixable with 10 seconds of worthwhile judge intervention.

The producers don't give a poo poo about making cool lego builds, they just want to do basic teevee elimination melodrama. And the judges are complicit at best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if they spent so much time building that giant mountain that they didn't have time to think about anything else. Their little cat 3 falling off the tracks didn't make any sense either. Did they not test that? I don't know why it being bumped by the pyrotechnics would have caused it to go faster. I'm more and more thinking that they should have gone home because they did so poorly. Poor planning, bad design, and boring result. Would have made more drama too as the team that won the first two challenges gets sent home.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slyphic posted:

I was a bit surprised I couldn't find anywhere else that pics of them. As little screen time as they all get at this point, it's real easy to entirely forget about some of the builds. I'll make a point to post up spoilered further episode build reminder pics.

Thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The pyro didn't bump gently caress all. That was entirely post-production screen shake. It just plain never worked and apparently they never tested it.