Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Imagine "Life of Brian" but Brian is a bankrupt company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cruft posted:

Imagine "Life of Brian" but Brian is a bankrupt company.

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very rich failson.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Covid just supercharged what was already a pretty strong pattern with the unchecked channels of disinformation, hate propaganda and hysteria narratives coming from both fringe and completely mainstream channels, turning innocuous and/or unimportant things into scapegoats with blatant lies to divert energy and attention from real problems, same patterns, methods and channels going at least all the way back to the Satanic Panic.

So much of the superstonks and bitcoin poo poo is literally just repeating and cargo culting mainstream ideas and narratives on economics and technology, also detached from reality and existing only as justifications to upholding existing systems with all their unsustainable contradictions.

canada wants to bring large digital platforms under the purview of the same regulating agency that has been regulating TV and radio broadcasters the entire time so of course all the joe rogan fans are melting down about trudeau's communist censorship regime forcing their favourite podcast magnate to get his admin staff to fill out a bit of extra paperwork once a year

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I see Sams trial is going about as well as expected

quote:

Next witness: Gary Wang.
AUSA: What was your job at FTX?
Wang: CTO
Gary Wang: Chief Technology Officer.
AUSA: Did you commit crimes at FTX?
Gary Wang: Yes. With Nishad Singh, Caroline Ellison and Sam Bankman-Fried.
AUSA: Is that him over there?
[A pause...]
Gary Wang: Yes.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Wasn't Gary Wang the one that went into hiding and avoided any sort of blame at first? And even Sam was trying to cover for him, in some capacity? Not that it's hard to guess he folded, but I'm wondering what the penalties are going to be for Nishad and Caroline.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Strong Sauce posted:

I do feel a sense of pity for this guy. I mean he seems like a piece of poo poo but also wonder how much that had to do with the pandemic. I had issues with my parents during the pandemic and while it's subsided a little due to some money coming their way, I don't know if my relationship will ever be the same due to what happened. One of the things most people don't talk about is how the pandemic completely hosed with people's mental well being. Like beyond the physical illness that was COVID, being stuck inside and not being able to go out, all the financial uncertainty, and everyone with way too much time was just a huge catalyst for this crazy conspiratorial thinking where people think random stocks will make them rich. I'm not sure that aspect has really been covered well at all.
Yeah I don't know how well it has been covered but my ex is in health and wellness and definitely was aware how much strain the pandemic was on peoples' wellbeing. We got divorced after going through it and while it wasn't the only reason it absolutely contributed to the relationship's demise being around each other all the drat time with the added stress from basically everything. I also stopped talking to a really good longtime friend because he went absolutely off the deep end on anti vaxx stuff.

So I could totally see conspiracies and investment bad decision making being exacerbated by everything that went down. The relief checks put cash into a lot of peoples' hands that never had a grand or whatever dropped into their hand like that on top of everything else. I don't know if that led to some poor financial decisions or not.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Wasn't Gary Wang the one that went into hiding and avoided any sort of blame at first? And even Sam was trying to cover for him, in some capacity? Not that it's hard to guess he folded, but I'm wondering what the penalties are going to be for Nishad and Caroline.

Nishad and Caroline have already pled guilty and agreed to cooperate with the Feds

(so has Gary obviously since he literally said "i did the crimes" today on the stand)

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

notwithoutmyanus posted:

yes, gary was the one speculated to be a true believer that wouldn't testify.
https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1710021321613025588?s=20

he's also supposed to be the one that built the backdoor that allowed alameda to steal unlimited money. he'll presumably testify to that tomorrow, but they haven't gotten there yet. he was only on the stand for an hour before they broke for the day.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 5, 2023

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Yeah I don't know how well it has been covered but my ex is in health and wellness and definitely was aware how much strain the pandemic was on peoples' wellbeing. We got divorced after going through it and while it wasn't the only reason it absolutely contributed to the relationship's demise being around each other all the drat time with the added stress from basically everything. I also stopped talking to a really good longtime friend because he went absolutely off the deep end on anti vaxx stuff.

So I could totally see conspiracies and investment bad decision making being exacerbated by everything that went down. The relief checks put cash into a lot of peoples' hands that never had a grand or whatever dropped into their hand like that on top of everything else. I don't know if that led to some poor financial decisions or not.

Yeah, navigating 3 years of built-up neuroses in isolation has done incalculable damage to my own mental health and personality, not to mention several relationships. I'm barely pulling out of a spiral weeks before it became a crater. I think it's natural for people in times of stress to either lose hope or contrive a messiah figure to believe in.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lockdown was generally a really nice time for my family. We came closer together and gelled in a way we hadn't done before.

A lot of people had very real and substantive problems, and I don't want to diminish that, but I feel like I need to chime in for folks who have nice memories to say you're also not broken. It was just different for everyone.

I would, however, like to volunteer my family to move to Mars, when applications open. I think we're the perfect candidates for that trip.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I have a lot of friends for whom it was the best time of their lives, particularly my less extroverted buddies. Unfortunately it sent me slightly mad to the point I came about this close to just saying gently caress it and becoming addicted to crack

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My wife is on the "why isn't every social interaction on zoom now, we figured it out and I can be in my pajamas" train and I'm on the "i'm very proud of myself that I survived long enough to get vaccinated" train

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The relief checks put cash into a lot of peoples' hands that never had a grand or whatever dropped into their hand like that on top of everything else. I don't know if that led to some poor financial decisions or not.

Zoom out on a linear chart of the price of Bitcoin to at least 5 years and you can see the answer to that last bit.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

Nishad and Caroline have already pled guilty and agreed to cooperate with the Feds

(so has Gary obviously since he literally said "i did the crimes" today on the stand)

We know they pled guilty and have immunity on the stand, the question is how much of the pled guilty part they're paying for.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
How are the tungsten cube guys doing. Does anyone remember this

E: of course

https://twitter.com/FTX_Official/status/1449024949801275397

Quotey fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 6, 2023

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Time_pants posted:

Yeah, navigating 3 years of built-up neuroses in isolation has done incalculable damage to my own mental health and personality, not to mention several relationships. I'm barely pulling out of a spiral weeks before it became a crater. I think it's natural for people in times of stress to either lose hope or contrive a messiah figure to believe in.

There’s a concept in psychology that says that trauma tends to exacerbate trends that were already in motion. For examples: if you use alcohol to cope with stress, individual trauma will likely make you drink more. So it’s fascinating to me that we saw (and are seeing) that on a national level.

I think this tendency was made even worse by Americans tendency to be isolated and mentally unhealthy in general, but the individual differences have been interesting nonetheless. For me personally, it brought me and my partner closer together, and also made us better friends with some of our closer people. However, it also made me incredibly disillusioned with my career (mental health), and I have to wonder if I wasn’t already heading in that direction.

All that being said, theoretically anyone could be susceptible to a grift like crypto, but like…I don’t get it. I guess I’ve just never been that desperate.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Quotey posted:

How are the tungsten cube guys doing. Does anyone remember this

E: of course

https://twitter.com/FTX_Official/status/1449024949801275397

aged like a fine milk

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I didn’t have a problem with lockdown at all, honestly. There’s a crisis situation and the responsible thing to do is stay home, avoid face to face interactions, and play video games all day? Put me in coach, I’ve been training for this my whole life.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Khizan posted:

I didn’t have a problem with lockdown at all, honestly. There’s a crisis situation and the responsible thing to do is stay home, avoid face to face interactions, and play video games all day? Put me in coach, I’ve been training for this my whole life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1DDn2eklU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MEIN RAVEN posted:

All that being said, theoretically anyone could be susceptible to a grift like crypto, but like…I don’t get it. I guess I’ve just never been that desperate.

I have been and I would have loved to be able to believe I could have gotten rich, but from day one looking at crypto I was "This obvious scam is an obvious scam."

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Pro-grammable

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Wtf is a “programmable NFT”?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

But is it Ligg-Botha compliant?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Wtf is a “programmable NFT”?

I'd have to assume its a reference to Smart Contracts, which is super dumb.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

MEIN RAVEN posted:

There’s a concept in psychology that says that trauma tends to exacerbate trends that were already in motion. For examples: if you use alcohol to cope with stress, individual trauma will likely make you drink more. So it’s fascinating to me that we saw (and are seeing) that on a national level.

I think this tendency was made even worse by Americans tendency to be isolated and mentally unhealthy in general, but the individual differences have been interesting nonetheless. For me personally, it brought me and my partner closer together, and also made us better friends with some of our closer people. However, it also made me incredibly disillusioned with my career (mental health), and I have to wonder if I wasn’t already heading in that direction.

Absolutely, my stress peaked from covid and my main IT skill's software being involved in one of the biggest hacks on US government. If not for that making me feel like my IT career was over due to everyone knowing the stuff in such a horrible way I wouldn't have (mistakenly) jumped into crypto before getting proverbially slapped and realizing I needed to get out of Crypto.

While I am flexible in learning from mistakes I don't think that applies to most people who got into crypto. Globally stress from covid hasn't really settled down.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Okay but what do you do in the game?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Khizan posted:

Everything about covid and the lockdowns loving sucked.

When I finally ended up getting covid, it wasn't any worse than a strong cold. I just remembered staring at the positive covid test and thinking, "We shut the whole planet down for two years because of this?"

also, buttcoin.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

haha so I pulled that image from here

https://www.scfchain.io/

So I was at a big hotel for a job yesterday, and they were having a seminar for this there.

Me and another guy wandered into the banquet/convention hall it was being presented in cause there was a water machine in there, and they were playing a straight up cult indoctrination video on the stage screens.

It was a bizarre uncanny valley videogame graphic situation where this bald business guy was standing on some elevated platform over a woman. He stretches his hands out and is like (paraphrasing, I hope to find this video but couldnt on the site) "With these methods I provide you great wealth"

Then the woman falls on her knees and starts praising him "You have saved my life and made me rich! I give you my life!"

This is in Korea and the hall was packed with older people sitting at circular dinner tables, there was also an overflow hall that was full up to. So apparently elder asian stock/gambling addicts are a prime target for final bagholding.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

There Bias Two posted:

Okay but what do you do in the game?
Pro-gram your nft to embark on a grand interstellar adventure.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Rad-daddio posted:

When I finally ended up getting covid, it wasn't any worse than a strong cold. I just remembered staring at the positive covid test and thinking, "We shut the whole planet down for two years because of this?"

also, buttcoin.

Wasn't any worse than a strong cold for you.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pro-grammable

Better than Amatuer-grammable.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Tony Hawk Pro-Grammable

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't any worse than a strong cold for you.

I was going to say that was the perfect example of dunning-krueger : anecdotal evidence vs facts.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

few points here

1) millions died of covid, including my s/o's brother
2) the lockdowns really only lasted until spring 2021, hell I was going to bars outside before end of 2020
3) i'm glad you didn't get sicker but that doesn't mean it's not serious. if you could avoid having a stroke or other heart issues, would you?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
typhoid mary: 'i don't get the big deal, i'm not even a little sick!'

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

If something personally didn't affect me then I don't understand what the big deal is. My perceived reality is the only thing that matters

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Rad-daddio posted:

Consider about how bad poo poo’s gotta get in our capitalistic hellcape world for that many corporations and governments to all pull the plug on economy and gently caress up their profits for even a minute let alone months.

Do you really think megacorps that took million dollar a day hits, like Disney shutting down all their theme-parks, came out of their executive’s loving care for their employees to avoid a simple cold? Most of them would commit live ritual sacrifices in the board room to avoid one quarter of displeased shareholders, they didn’t take that hit for anything less than a lethal plague.

Anyway, remember NFTS?
https://youtu.be/mTBCzH1UyNY

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

titty_baby_ posted:

If something personally didn't affect me then I don't understand what the big deal is. My perceived reality is the only thing that matters

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Maybe one goon posting their own personal experience with/emotions around covid isn't actually a case of them arguing that no lockdowns should have happened and the virus is fake and there's 5g in the vaccines or whatever y'all are trying to dogpile onto now.

EDIT:

Anyways, back on topic, @TikTokInvestors brought up this blast from the last (aka: 2 years ago)...

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 6, 2023