Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

LanceHunter posted:

Maybe one goon posting their own personal experience with/emotions around covid isn't actually a case of them arguing that no lockdowns should have happened and the virus is fake and there's 5g in the vaccines or whatever y'all are trying to dogpile onto now.
Yes, that's exactly what happened here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quotey posted:

How are the tungsten cube guys doing. Does anyone remember this

E: of course

https://twitter.com/FTX_Official/status/1449024949801275397

...who is paying for the verified checkmark for this?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

Maybe one goon posting their own personal experience with/emotions around covid isn't actually a case of them arguing that no lockdowns should have happened and the virus is fake and there's 5g in the vaccines or whatever y'all are trying to dogpile onto now.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have happened or anything, I'm just saying that all of it really sucked and watching people say how kinda neato it was to get to play video games and learn how to bake bread all day really isn't cool.

sorry for the derail, let's go back to laughing at fake internet money.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

evilweasel posted:

why did they need a tungsten cube?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rad-daddio posted:

It was a fad back in the day, like fidget spinners.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tbf, if I had billions of dollars of other people's money and no accountability, I might impulse buy a tungsten cube too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Do not question the cube.

The cube is all.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rad-daddio posted:

Effective altruism, obviously.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tungsten cubes are weirdly heavy (density about equals gold) and that is an unexpected property that makes them fun to pick up

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
This cube cured my mortality.

quote:

All the people here who bought this wireless tungsten cube to admire its surreal heft have precisely the wrong mindset. I, in my exalted wisdom and unbridled ambition, bought this cube to become fully accustomed to the intensity of its density, to make its weight bearable and in fact normal to me, so that all the world around me may fade into a fluffy arena of gravitational inconsequence. And it has worked, to profound success. I have carried the tungsten with me, have grown attached to the downward pull of its small form, its desire to be one with the floor. This force has become so normal to me that lifting any other object now feels like lifting cotton candy, or a fluffy pillow. Big burly manly men who pump iron now seem to me as little children who raise mere aluminum.

I can hardly remember the days before I became a man of tungsten. How distant those days seem now, how burdened by the apparent heaviness of everyday objects. I laugh at the philistines who still operate in a world devoid of tungsten, their shoulders thin and unempowered by the experience of bearing tungsten. Ha, what fools, blissful in their ignorance, anesthetized by their lack of meaningful struggle, devoid of passion.

Nietzsche once said that a man who has a why can bear almost any how. But a man who has a tungsten cube can bear any object less dense, and all this talk of why and how becomes unnecessary.

Schopenhauer once said that every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. Tungsten expands the limits of a man’s field of vision by showing him an example of increased density, in comparison to which the everyday objects to which he was formerly accustomed gain a light and airy quality. Who can lament the tragedy of life, when surrounded by such lightweight objects? Who can cry in a world of styrofoam and cushions?

Have you yet understood? This is no ordinary metal. In this metal is the alchemical potential to transform your world, by transforming your expectations. Those who have not yet held the cube in their hands and mouths will not understand, for they still live in a world of normal density, like Plato’s cave dwellers. Those who have opened their mind to the density of tungsten will shift their expectations of weight and density accordingly.

To give this cube a rating of anything less than five stars would be to condemn life itself. Who am I, as a mere mortal, to judge the most compact of all affordable materials? No. I say gratefully to whichever grand being may have created this universe: good job on the tungsten. It sure is dense.

I sit here with my tungsten cube, transcendent above death itself. For insofar as this tungsten cube will last forever, I am in the presence of immortality.

(The cube is/was a popular meme object.)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rad-daddio posted:

When I finally ended up getting covid, it wasn't any worse than a strong cold. I just remembered staring at the positive covid test and thinking, "We shut the whole planet down for two years because of this?"

are you loving kidding me?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rad-daddio posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't have happened or anything, I'm just saying that all of it really sucked and watching people say how kinda neato it was to get to play video games and learn how to bake bread all day really isn't cool.

titty_baby_ posted:

If something personally didn't affect me then I don't understand what the big deal is. My perceived reality is the only thing that matters

hm seems like you're back where you started

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Deformed Church posted:

Tbf, if I had billions of dollars of other people's money and no accountability, I might impulse buy a tungsten cube too.

I would probably get something more interesting

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Rad-daddio posted:

When I finally ended up getting covid, it wasn't any worse than a strong cold. I just remembered staring at the positive covid test and thinking, "We shut the whole planet down for two years because of this?"

What kind of response were you looking for by posting this? You can probably take a good guess as to what I’m thinking right now.

E:fun fact, even when you close your eyes and everything disappears, other people can still see you! Crazy poo poo, I know, huh?

Buttcoin

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 6, 2023

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rad-daddio posted:

i mean im not surprised ftx spent, say, eight billion dollars on nonsense

i am wondering who, today while they're in bankruptcy is spending money on keeping a gold checkmark for the account

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I found a decent sized chunk of a 90% tungsten alloy at work and honestly it's a pretty cool object to just have a really heavy block

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

cruft posted:

Lockdown was generally a really nice time for my family. We came closer together and gelled in a way we hadn't done before.

A lot of people had very real and substantive problems, and I don't want to diminish that, but I feel like I need to chime in for folks who have nice memories to say you're also not broken. It was just different for everyone.
I only talked to my boss on zoom once a week so I used to take off from work in the middle of the day, every day, to work out. now i have incredible cardio

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I found a decent sized chunk of a 90% tungsten alloy at work and honestly it's a pretty cool object to just have a really heavy block

Yeah, I keep a chunk of plutonium on my desk for the same reason. It's amusing to see the reaction on people's faces when they pick it up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cruft posted:

Yeah, I keep a chunk of plutonium on my desk for the same reason. It's amusing to see the reaction on people's faces when they pick it up.

You joke but I have a small sample of Thorium and Uranium at my desk, and it does indeed freak people out.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Juul-Whip posted:

I only talked to my boss on zoom once a week so I used to take off from work in the middle of the day, every day, to work out. now i have incredible cardio

I lost 15 lbs and got big calves because I was going stir crazy during my furlough/wfh/life and would ride my bike and run every day. I was already skinny before covid too.

The doing cardio outside in nature part was great, everything else sucked tho

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

CommieGIR posted:

You joke but I have a small sample of Thorium and Uranium at my desk, and it does indeed freak people out.

y'all are a bunch of posers. I have a piece of unobtainium at my desk.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I keep one of my balls on the desk at all times for the same purpose

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

y'all are a bunch of posers. I have a piece of unobtainium at my desk.

That just creates a black hole in your desk, right?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

That just creates a black hole in your desk, right?

uhhh, just a moment let me cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cruft posted:

New Mexico posters shouldn't joke about that sort of thing :v:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

evilweasel posted:

Elon Musk. Game respects game.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

titan-level gibberish masterpiece

The only sad thing about the bubble finally deflating is that these are getting fewer and farther between

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Ariong posted:

Elon Musk. Game respects game.

Remember the time they had a phone call and both of them came out of it thinking the other one was crazy on drugs:allears:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Boxturret posted:

Remember the time they had a phone call and both of them came out of it thinking the other one was crazy on drugs:allears:

I guess even a pair of stopped clocks can be right... uh... four times a day? gently caress, the saying doesn't really scale nicely

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

I guess even a pair of stopped clocks can be right... uh... four times a day? gently caress, the saying doesn't really scale nicely

I'm seeing double!

A Long Way Down
Jul 14, 2009

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

I'm seeing double!

Four grifters!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

A Long Way Down posted:

Four grifters!

I will push them off the Goddamn cliff…

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pham Nuwen posted:

New Mexico posters shouldn't joke about that sort of thing :v:

My uncle gave me a chunk of Trinitite that I kept in my front pocket for good luck as a kid, and now I'm trans.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

too much co-vid, too much tung-sten, not enough liquidi-ty in thread. ATOMIC SWAPS

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So do you think they have a list somewhere of all the buzzwords they needed to haphazardly chuck into their advertising word salad or do you think they just have them memorized at this point?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The tungsten cube needs die faces on it so you can play a really hardcore game of snakes and ladders.

Actually did that occasionally using a couple of big stone dice bookends. You definitely want to do it on a soft surface.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just bought two saucer chairs from Bedbathandbeyond.com. What is this going to do to the stock?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lammasu posted:

I just bought two saucer chairs from Bedbathandbeyond.com. What is this going to do to the stock?

So each saucer comes with 1000 naked short-shares, so you are now part of big -evil- fiance, and owe legitimate BBBY share holders, $15,000,000,000.

Welcome to the world of high finance!!!!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lammasu posted:

There is no stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Wait, sorry, congratulations on your purchase of a collectors item. In about 5 years, you'll be able to sell them to a crazy divorced man, living in a 1992 Corolla covered with stencil appliqués ranting about Ryan Cohen, and subsisting on canned beans.