Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tek Knight is great. Sam moving up the ranks real fast too. Sadly Jordan has taken up the role of being kind of a poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So happy to see Emma become huge just like a lot of people were theorising about.

Also, I'm guessing Jumanji guy's cock still looked normal* because being a supe confers general strength and resilience. And being able to hear a wider range of frequencies, too, apparently.

* well, briefly

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Only Kindness posted:

It's been a good year for spunky show-stealing college room-mates with four-letter names beginning with E and short-styled light-coloured hair.

Wait what's the other ones

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Outrail posted:

I'm just here for the genital mutilation

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So happy to see Emma become huge just like a lot of people were theorising about.

Also, I'm guessing Jumanji guy's cock still looked normal* because being a supe confers general strength and resilience. And being able to hear a wider range of frequencies, too, apparently.

* well, briefly

I'm outraged that we are getting huge exploding dicks but not mega Emma boobs.

But seriously, sometimes it is weird how this kind of violence on men is played as sort of a joke.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Shageletic posted:

Wait what's the other ones

Enid from "Wednesday"?

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I know that the brain tumor bit is from the comic but I thought Tek Knight was also more of an Iron Man type dude rather than a Super Detective.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Derek Wilson was great as Tek Knight, this is the only thing I've seen him in besides Future Man and I barely recognized him.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

a seagull posted:

I know that the brain tumor bit is from the comic but I thought Tek Knight was also more of an Iron Man type dude rather than a Super Detective.

An Iron Man type dude sounds like expensive VFX. That's money better used for bodily explosions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

a seagull posted:

Yeah, in the comic he has no superpowers other than being obscenely rich. He's a mix of all of the worst aspects of Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark.

Garth Ennis really hates superheroes. My guess is that with the exception of Starlight, one of his only interferences in the show is "don't make any of *my* bad guys into good guys."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 6, 2023

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
My big bold prediction is that they were brainfucking Golden Boys brother to replace Black Noir, and we’ll get a similar Black Noir vs Homelander showdown as in the comics

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Pretty fun episode but using the "schizophrenic character is tormented by hallucinations that take the form of children's show characters" thing two seasons in a row, for two wholly unrelated characters, is obscenely lazy

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

mutantIke posted:

Pretty fun episode but using the "schizophrenic character is tormented by hallucinations that take the form of children's show characters" thing two seasons in a row, for two wholly unrelated characters, is obscenely lazy

Unless the forest is using puppets to try to condition their subjects.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

mutantIke posted:

Seconded. It was already lazy when they did it in the Boys and was worse here.

Also, Sam is turbo hosed any way he goes, and has a jillion murders under his belt, do our main characters really need to risk their lives(and school rankings) to stop him from killing a sadistic doctor who is also ruining other people's lives? There were more cells in the Woods, yeah, not just him?

This and the Boys both have a weird obsession with returning things to some kind of status quo that doesn't need to exist in the first place. Starlight is always back in the tower, these kids are back on campus. It makes sense in say, Breaking Bad, where you need the framing of White as a secret drug lord until the last season of the show. But here? There is no status quo, there is no baseline of normalcy they need to return to, except it makes it easier for the writers, I guess.

I also really like both of these shows and the Boys is a staggering improvement on the comic book in a way I didn't think was possible, so I guess I'm just pulling at threads I don't like.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I don't think Vought has any real plans for Sam, he's way too unstable to even be a reliable weapon like Black Noir. So far, all we know of Sam is that he's very strong and very tough so he's basically just Maeve with schizophrenia when it comes to being a supe.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 6, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sam would be a useful asset in the same way a grizzly full of coke and LSD would be a useful asset.

Drop it far behind enemy lines and hope to god they can deal with it before it finds its way home.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Again, I think Sam is being used as a lab rat to figure out how to "manage" Supes should they ever decide to just take over the world. We've already seen that the guards have anti-Supe technology - that one in the stairwell didn't even seem nervous about Andre.

They claim he's stronger than his brother by "a lot," and given that he's crazy, in their minds they have justification to do whatever they want to him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
People said supes would be terrible at solving crimes but Tek Knight seems like he has great potential (just be sure not to distract him too much with holes).

Emma's powers are seriously underrated and I think she is really selling herself short. Yeah there's the bulimia angle but I'm betting she finds some practical workaround later on.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Panfilo posted:

People said supes would be terrible at solving crimes but Tek Knight seems like he has great potential (just be sure not to distract him too much with holes).

Emma's powers are seriously underrated and I think she is really selling herself short. Yeah there's the bulimia angle but I'm betting she finds some practical workaround later on.

Laxatives ?? Then it wouldnt eat away her enamel

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Stomach tap like they use on cows and a tank of nutrient slurry.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I was wondering why Emma wouldn’t have realized the eating more to get bigger thing would work before this, but her mom did say she kept a strict calorie count before this

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

mutantIke posted:

I'm just disappointed it wasn't somebody's actual power to create puppet versions of people..

I'm not really liking any of the characters aside from Emma. I guess Sam is interesting too. Marie is just a super boring character to me.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

pretty bored of this. its a lot of retreading and the shock moments feel really desperate.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm liking it but I have a feeling next episode is going to make or break it for me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bobjr posted:

I was wondering why Emma wouldn’t have realized the eating more to get bigger thing would work before this, but her mom did say she kept a strict calorie count before this

I'm pretty sure she knew she could grow bigger and that's *why* her mother asked her if she was still counting her calories.

Not because she gave a gently caress about her health or wellbeing, but probably because her "brand" was her being ~tiny~.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
the manipulating blood in a penis thing was funny but it's weird and cartoonish that there were no consequences or even a callback to that

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Whoops, looks like Chance Perdomo (Andrew) deleted his Twitter account and made his Insta with 1m followers private.

Probably nothing.

Edit: Oh wait, before shutting down his Instagram, he posted

Phew, crisis averted.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 7, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Marie is pretty dang powerful now that she knows she can manipulate other people’s blood. I wonder how much they’ll work with that.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Dongicus posted:

pretty bored of this. its a lot of retreading and the shock moments feel really desperate.

I'm still enjoying the show but you're right. I can't quite put my finger on why but in The Boys the gross edgy shock moments feel impish to me, whereas here they feel... forced.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kaddish posted:

Marie is pretty dang powerful now that she knows she can manipulate other people’s blood. I wonder how much they’ll work with that.

Only issue with that is that she already should've suspected that after putting the blood back into that woman whose carotid got sliced. If she doesn't start exploring that, it's either lazy writing or evidence that if/when Supes start getting *too* curious about their powers, they get "reset" somehow.

I also find it :allears: how they're openly scheming about doing anti-school/anti-Vought poo poo in their loving dorm rooms which are almost certainly bugged and under camera surveillance.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Maria controlling Vought soldiers like puppets via blood would be awesome :getin:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
A problem I have with Gen V as opposed to The Boys is that even in the serious material, The Boys always retains a heightened reality. So when they shift into violent, wacky hijinks it feels more or less fine. The realistic moments are the ones that standout because they are rare and can be more affective. But in Gen V the balance feels the opposite. They use too much teen melodrama and try to be somewhat grounded about what the characters are going through. Then a penis explodes or schizophrenia is expressed via goofy puppets, everyone acts like WTF, then they reset to college kids business as usual. And I really don't give a poo poo about a bunch of college students' relationship drama.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do kind of wish we'd gotten an example of what Tek Knight's actually capable of past being some perverted Colombo/Chris Hansen combo, since I kinda wanted Cate to answer his threat of cutting off her hand with "with what, your bluntness?"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
gen v and the boys revolves around 3 things

sex, money, and power

every single angle in the show is one of these things

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do kind of wish we'd gotten an example of what Tek Knight's actually capable of past being some perverted Colombo/Chris Hansen combo, since I kinda wanted Cate to answer his threat of cutting off her hand with "with what, your bluntness?"

We've had a couple of hints. In season 1 in the "collateral damage" support group a woman says Tek Knight saved her life but paralyzed her in the process. In this episode the dean mentions that many of his suspects, presumably supes, end up beat to poo poo.

Also, thinking about it, I think what's bothering me about gross poo poo in Gen V is that The Boys kinda spaces it out, as far as can remember, where this has just been relentless dicks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It really doesn’t, it’s just been a few months since you last watched it so it’s all muddled in your memories.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bobjr posted:

She knew, it's just her "brand" was Little Cricket.

e: well beaten.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 7, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

LinkesAuge posted:

I'm outraged that we are getting huge exploding dicks but not mega Emma boobs.

But seriously, sometimes it is weird how this kind of violence on men is played as sort of a joke.

I'd say it's a deliberate choice to swap how things usually go in these shows where women are the ones who are salaciously exposed and brutalised.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

a seagull posted:

We've had a couple of hints. In season 1 in the "collateral damage" support group a woman says Tek Knight saved her life but paralyzed her in the process. In this episode the dean mentions that many of his suspects, presumably supes, end up beat to poo poo.

And this makes dean’s plan to find a secluded spot to blackmail a guy who beats other people for the thrill of it and clearly dislikes her such a brilliant move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'd say it's a deliberate choice to swap how things usually go in these shows where women are the ones who are salaciously exposed and brutalised.

There's definitely a fascination with penises, giant ones, stretchy ones, and all kinds of trauma being done to them