Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Had to pick up a niece today from school who was sick, which rapidly accelerated my anxiety. The school is only one block away but I made sure the windows were down with both of us masked in 3m's. Here's to hoping I not only don't catch whatever they have, but don't spread it to anyone.

In better news though thanks to The vaccine finder posted earlier, I found a very local Dr with there own clinic offering Novavax. Every other listing was Walgreens which lol

I'm going to shoot for mid October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

chugging along but a little worse every year, some years worse than others. people will look at you weird if you talk about it.

basically the same general program:

Our lives are average; Worse than last year, but definitely better than next year

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
moderately interesting polls from the guardian australia:

victoria is the state that had the longest, hardest, girthiest lockdowns outside of china. WA also went hard. seems like people loved it at the time, but have soured on it 2 years on.

cool that fully 1 in 6 people are cooked. and where's my "i don't believe the numbers; the whole thing is MUCH WORSE" doomer option.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pingui posted:

Interesting results and something that speaks in favor of heterologous vaccinations (as immune evasion will trend towards evading the dominant antibody mix - e.g. the combined vaccination and infection norm):

I am not so sure about their conclusion that this can be used to define which variants should be targeted by vaccines. I can see why they would say that, but I feel they kinda skirt over the impact that Omicron had (and Omicron type mutational leaps would have). Rather I think it makes it clear that a vaccine only strategy at the very least should be diversified to not leave the exact same holes in protection for everyone.

Good news! about the uptake of the Fall booster then.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Don't worry everybody, British airport security x-rayed my mask so everyone is SAFE! And after security there was a helpful hand sanitizer station with automatic dispensing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Oracle posted:

Friends sister died of a blood clot in her lung. She was 55. Someone found her in her car by the side of the road, unresponsive. She taught high school choir and was just generally a really great person.

:sympathy:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Oracle posted:

Friends sister died of a blood clot in her lung. She was 55. Someone found her in her car by the side of the road, unresponsive. She taught high school choir and was just generally a really great person.
:smith:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Maybe the CDC should be communicating this, instead of "you are immune, act like it"?

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2023-10-05/cdc-study-warns-covid-19-hospitalization-a-continued-public-health-threat posted:

CDC Study Warns COVID-19 Hospitalization a ‘Continued Public Health Threat’
The majority of this year’s COVID-19 hospitalizations so far are among adults ages 65 and older, according to the study.
(..)
All adults, especially those aged ≥65 years and others at high risk for progression to severe COVID-19 illness, should reduce their risk for COVID-19–related hospitalizations and severe outcomes by receiving recommended COVID-19 vaccines, adopting measures to reduce risk for contracting SARS-CoV-2, and seeking early outpatient antiviral treatment after receipt of a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result,” the study said, referring to the scientific name for the virus.

Not an expert though, so maybe I just don't understand the health benefits of a false sense of security :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
An interesting and very nice source for the general recommendation in the thread for post-covid exercise (it is a decent read; the excerpt here highlights the conclusion):

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a45454046/why-you-shouldnt-run-with-covid/ posted:

Why Experts Say You Shouldn’t Run With COVID-19
While it’s often fine to exercise with a cold, experts say you should avoid intense activity when it comes to the coronavirus.
(..)
Don’t Run During the Acute Phase of COVID
“Exercise does induce the stress response,” says Sandrock. While the “stress” of exercise typically pushes our mind and bodies to become healthier over time, if our bodies are already responding to an infection, then exercise may push us over that limit.

Two to four weeks out from an acute infection, once you test negative and you no longer feel symptoms, try going for a walk. If your heart rate goes up more than it typically does, you may need more rest days, Scherry says.
(..)
Be Patient
Wait 24 to 48 hours after your first walk and then your first run to see how you feel. Keep in mind that rest and recovery is part of training, and if you push yourself, your body won’t have time to recover from the stress response caused by exercise.

“I would start off at much lighter intensity and see how your body responds even 24 to 48 hours post exercise,” Scherry explains. “At most, stick to 50 percent of your normal training session, then wait two days to see how you respond.”

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I don't think humans would survive 15 degrees of warming.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Michael Mina interview, I highlighted some stuff I found amusing and/or asinine (as this is a Michael Mina interview, there is much more in the article):

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/05/opinion/covid-pandemic-michael-mina.html posted:

We Should Have Known So Much About Covid from the Start
(..)
I think we’re like toddlers.
(..)
Many will never develop that robust, long-term immunological memory we would want to see — and which happens naturally to someone who’s been exposed hundreds of times since they were a little baby.
(..)
Q: And as I’ve argued elsewhere, if we know that the elderly are going to continue to be vulnerable, you really kind of need to tell them that they’re still vulnerable.
A: That was just not politically palatable. And frankly, it was scientific group think.
(..)
we set society up for failure
(..)
Q: My understanding is that the best data on long Covid prevalence comes from the U.K.’s Office of National Statistics, which shows a much lower risk of developing long Covid now, from reinfection, than from an initial infection earlier in the pandemic.
A: I think the worst is behind us. By far. But I know multiple people, very close to me, who are dealing with really severe long Covid. Some of them have amorphous symptoms, but haven’t been able to work for a few years. Some have very significant heart disease. One person is in surgery right now today, from an infection a few years ago. But the worst is definitely behind us, which is a good thing, especially for people who worry that the problems will keep building and a lot of people — or even everyone — will get long Covid symptoms. I don’t think there’s a world where we’re looking at the babies of today dealing with long Covid at any meaningful scale.

Q: My understanding is that, for long Covid at least, the large majority are relatively well recovered within a year.
A: Yes, that’s right. But a lot of the fear right now comes from the worst cases, and there’s a lot of worst cases. Even one of the people that I know well, I know in their mind they’re worried that they’ll never recover, but I think objectively they are recovering slowly. It might not be an eight month course. It might be a year and a half. But they will get better. Most of us will.

Please stop setting society up for failure Michael :negative:

Archived link: https://archive.li/OnSIp

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In other plague news:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ays-2023-10-06/ posted:

Dengue will 'take off' in southern Europe, US, Africa this decade, WHO scientist says

Dengue fever will become a major threat in the southern United States, southern Europe and new parts of Africa this decade, the WHO's chief scientist said, as warmer temperatures create the conditions for the mosquitoes carrying the infection to spread.

The illness has long been a scourge in much of Asia and Latin America, causing an estimated 20,000 deaths each year. Rates of the disease have already risen eight-fold globally since 2000, driven largely by climate change as well as the increased movement of people and urbanization.
(..)
Many cases go unrecorded, but in 2022 4.2 million cases were reported worldwide and public health officials have warned that near-record levels of transmission are expected this year.
(..)
“We need to really prepare countries for how they will deal with the additional pressure that will come… in the future in many, many big cities.”
(..)
Farrar said the infection is likely to “take off” and become endemic in parts of the United States, Europe and Africa - all regions where there has already been some limited local transmission - as global warming makes new areas hospitable to the mosquitoes that spread it. That will put acute pressure on hospital systems in many countries, he warned.
(..)
“The clinical care is really intensive, it requires a high ratio of nurses to patients,” he said. “I really worry when this becomes a big issue in sub-Saharan Africa.”

Most people who get dengue do not have symptoms, meaning case rates are thought to be far higher than the reported numbers. Those who do can experience fever, muscle spasms and joint pain so severe it is known as “break-bone fever.” In severe cases – less than 1% - it can be fatal.
(..)

The story doesn't mention if this is the break-bone fever you want to get, but I think it is implied.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

genericnick posted:

Good news! about the uptake of the Fall booster then.

It will be ridiculously low in the US, but 1) I expect the European numbers to be vastly higher, 2) you don't need a massive uptake to push evolution in a specific direction and 3) the variant vaccines are targeted towards the presumed dominant variant.

Using Denmark as an example, the last number I could off hand find for the 2022 bivalent booster in Denmark showed an uptake of 75% among the people eligible e.g. 50+, this amounts to 30% of the total Danish population. While it isn't sterilizing - so it not a full 30% difference in Reff - for the subvariants applicable it is going to be substantial. On top of that you have the people getting a shot of nature's vaccine, which by definition is most likely to be the dominant variant. In aggregate the dominant antibody mix will therefore be similarly targeting.

It follows that variants that have changes relative to the dominant antibody mix, will have substantially increased survivability and subsequent have a substantially higher Reff leading to likely future dominance. Heterologous vaccinations would curb this on an individual basis. I suspect this is the deal with Novavax and the reason vaccines like Soberana (the Cuban shot) seem to fare well.

Edit to add the population source, because I thought this was pretty cool (from the public Danish statistics agency): https://extranet.dst.dk/pyramide/pyramide.htm
Pressing play shows the change over time, while pressing "Rediger" (transl.: edit) will let you choose an interval of population for the right-most count.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Oct 6, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Kill all the mosquitoes. :commissar:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

Kill all the mosquitoes. :commissar:

Very antivax towards nature's flying vaccine syringes.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I read on social media this morning that my HMO finally has the vax ready to go in their system. Unfortunately I would encounter a picket line if I were to go in, because they're all on strike.

:rubby:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

I’m sorry, I know that pain and I can’t believe they won’t approve Stelara for her. Isn’t her doctor managing it for her, though? What’s the issue?

It's impossible to reach her gastro, appointments are six months in advance and a phone call has a week or two lag time in getting returned

health care is going great here

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Michael Mina interview, I highlighted some stuff I found amusing and/or asinine (as this is a Michael Mina interview, there is much more in the article):

Please stop setting society up for failure Michael :negative:

Archived link: https://archive.li/OnSIp

i enjoy the idea that anyone outside of a very small slice of americans can take eighteen months to maybe get better from long covid without life-ruining results

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

(..)

This one is for you:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/pittsburghs-top-doctors-warn-of-a-growing-covid-complacency/ posted:

Pittsburgh's top doctors warn of a growing "COVID complacency"

As numbers grow, has COVID fatigue turned into COVID apathy?

We are in a new wave of COVID and there is a growing trend away from testing which experts have said is disturbing.

This week, the top doctors in all our local healthcare institutions came out with a joint statement warning against "COVID complacency."

In their offices and emergency rooms, they're seeing it.

"This is a real thing," said UPMC Chief Medical Officer Dr. Don Yealy. "We see that the biggest threat now with COVID and soon to be with flu is what we call 'presenteeism' that is people coming to work or to school, not taking precautions and infecting others."

He said that this is bigger than the self.

"It's not just about yourself, it's about everybody around you, and you can't tell from looking at someone how vulnerable they are," he explained.

While you might recover from a bout with COVID, Dr. Yealy said the person you could possibly infect might not.

"It puts people in the intensive care unit and on breathing machines and still kills people at a rate that's higher than influenza or many other respiratory pathogens," Dr. Yealy warned.

So, if you find yourself with symptoms, he said to take a test.

"Don't just assume it's a cold or an allergy," he said. "And if you're positive, stay at home and have some contact with your health care provider if you have any risks for a bad outcome."

The sooner you seek help, the better chance your doctor can help lessen the severity for you.

"The problem is people are just choosing either to not test or to then not follow that really pragmatic advice," Dr. Yealy explained. "If you're sick don't go in, test yourself, and keep [a] distance or wear a mask."

While businesses and schools have relaxed their handling of COVID from the pandemic peaks, the CDC is still recommending you isolate for five days, then return to your normal activities while wearing a mask for another five days.

Lastly, a flu shot, an RSV vaccine for people over 60, and the new COVID vaccine for everyone.

As Dr. Yealy pointed out, whatever immunity you've built up by having COVID or getting vaccinated wears off over time and that could leave you increasingly vulnerable.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/366553435/Top-science-journal-faced-secret-attacks-from-Covid-conspiracy-theory-group

pedo island's homegrown Great Barrington crowd manifests itself by siccing the government on people who run the journal Nature

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm not sure that's that clear. Rapids often do have a very faint indent that will catch a shadow, if there's no actual color to it I personally would read that as negative.

youd be wrong

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

mrbotus posted:

I don't think humans would survive 15 degrees of warming.

I also dont think the news wouldn't mention or blame migration?

wtf was that post, did Rime write it? yeesh.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Of course I've thrown away all my RATs, but there is always a line there, it's visible even before you do the test. Depending on lighting I could absolutely take a picture that makes it stand out even more.

I'm not saying that's definitely negative, but I can definitely see how someone would read it that way, since that doesn't stand out any more to me than the line that's always there.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Rescue Toaster posted:

Of course I've thrown away all my RATs, but there is always a line there, it's visible even before you do the test. Depending on lighting I could absolutely take a picture that makes it stand out even more.

I'm not saying that's definitely negative, but I can definitely see how someone would read it that way, since that doesn't stand out any more to me than the line that's always there.

found the Ohio cryptic pooper

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

puncturewound78 posted:

vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

This one is for you:

I used to work for UPMC and I know that guy

they were the last hospital operator around here to do away with mask mandates, but they did away with them

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Rescue Toaster posted:

no it is not visible before you do the test.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Ok... I don't know what to tell you. I don't remember if it was the ihealths or one of the other brands in that same plastic stick form factor. There is 100% absolutely a visible indent right where the test line is, and if the light hits it right it's absolutely visible as a faint shadow if you're really looking. With a bright light and a close up with a camera you could take a picture of a negative (or even completely un-processed) test that looks like that.

I'm not going to waste money on some RATs to take a picture. Feel free to not believe me I guess. I remember it vividly because I also thought 'Oh poo poo maybe this is positive, but it doesn't actually look like color, just a shadow/indent' so I opened another test to do another and to look at it un-processed and the line I was seeing was there on the unprocessed one.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Oct 6, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just used one of the roughed-up expired-by-original-date Binax tests USPS sent me and yes there is some kind of physical indent at the location of the T strip that is visible as a slightly darker-than-background gray line if you shine a bright light at it at just the right angle but the tweet shows a faint pink line from directly overhead without apparent glare from a flash or other nearby light source. It's very likely positive and either way someone getting that result should test again not blithely assume they're negative.

puncturewound78 posted:

This is the harshest burn on vyelkin I've ever read.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah I can see where the line is sposeda show up if it's lit correctly and photographed and processed like a cellphone does to it but honestly you're a dang wealthy government person just do another test binch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this is a lot of posts about some nothing politician's RAT test. who fuckin cares.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
The latest in, "it's just a cold" research:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/long-cold-symptoms-last-long-covid-people-can-develop-long-colds-rcna119041

On the one hand, it's good that we're finally realizing post-viral illnesses are a real thing and not just lazy people wanting handouts and attention. On the other this just feels like a new front being opened up in the ongoing war to keep us ignoring COVID.

"People have always been this sick. Here's how many people the cold regularly maims, see?"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Very large (and - I think - well constructed) study on the autoimmune etc. disorders following a COVID infection. Due to the general health examination not starting until 40+ these results are naturally only applicable for this age cohort. It should also be noted that most of the immune disorders are pretty rare, so even a doubling of hazard ratio does not amount to a large amount of people.

"Autoimmune and Autoinflammatory Connective Tissue Disorders Following COVID-19"

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2810259 posted:

Key Points
Question Is COVID-19 associated with an increased risk of autoimmune and autoinflammatory disorders?

Findings This cohort study including 354 527 individuals with COVID-19 and 6 134 940 controls identified a significant elevation in the risk of multiple incident autoimmune and autoinflammatory disorders subsequent to COVID-19. Notably, certain disease risks exhibited a positive association with the severity of COVID-19.

Meaning These findings suggest that autoimmune and autoinflammatory connective tissue disorders may manifest as post–COVID-19 sequelae, highlighting the potential long-term health ramifications associated with COVID-19; long-term management should include evaluating the development of such disorders in patients who had COVID-19.

Abstract
Importance Multiple cases of autoimmune and autoinflammatory diseases after COVID-19 have been reported. However, their incidences and risks have rarely been quantified.

Objective To investigate the incidences and risks of autoimmune and autoinflammatory connective tissue disorders after COVID-19.

Design, Setting, and Participants This was a retrospective population-based study conducted between October 8, 2020, and December 31, 2021, that used nationwide data from the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency COVID-19 National Health Insurance Service cohort and included individuals who received a diagnosis of COVID-19 via polymerase chain reaction testing and a control group with no evidence of COVID-19 identified from National Health Insurance Service of Korea cohort. Data analysis was conducted from September 2022 to August 2023.

Exposures Receipt of diagnosis of COVID-19.

Main Outcomes and Measures The primary outcomes were the incidence and risk of autoimmune and autoinflammatory connective tissue disorders following COVID-19. A total of 32 covariates, including demographics, socioeconomic statuses, lifestyle factors, and comorbidity profiles, were balanced through inverse probability weighting. The incidences and risks of autoimmune and autoinflammatory connective tissue disorders were compared between the groups using multivariable Cox proportional hazard analyses.

Results A total of 354 527 individuals with COVID-19 (mean [SD] age, 52.24 [15.55] years; 179 041 women [50.50%]) and 6 134 940 controls (mean [SD] age, 52.05 [15.63] years; 3 074 573 women [50.12%]) were included. The risks of alopecia areata (adjusted hazard ratio [aHR], 1.12; 95% CI, 1.05-1.19), alopecia totalis (aHR, 1.74; 95% CI, 1.39-2.17), antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody–associated vasculitis (aHR, 2.76; 95% CI, 1.64-4.65), Crohn disease (aHR, 1.68; 95% CI, 1.31-2.15), and sarcoidosis (aHR, 1.59; 95% CI, 1.00-2.52) were higher in the COVID-19 group. The risks of alopecia totalis, psoriasis, vitiligo, vasculitis, Crohn disease, ulcerative colitis, rheumatoid arthritis, adult-onset Still disease, Sjögren syndrome, ankylosing spondylitis, and sarcoidosis were associated with the severity of COVID-19.

Conclusions and Relevance In this retrospective cohort study, COVID-19 was associated with a substantial risk for autoimmune and autoinflammatory connective tissue disorders, indicating that long-term management of patients with COVID-19 should include evaluation for such disorders.

On the other hand, due to a likely higher tendency towards dying in the cohort that get such disorders, the authors note this may be low-balling the risk increase.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:40 on Oct 6, 2023

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's impossible to reach her gastro, appointments are six months in advance and a phone call has a week or two lag time in getting returned

She needs a new doctor. If she’s not already I’d go find a big university hospital and go there.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Glumwheels posted:

She needs a new doctor. If she’s not already I’d go find a big university hospital and go there.

You are so privileged lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
excuse me? Sir? One Specialist Doctor please, yes, thank you.

no, that's all today. How much? Mm OK well, you know what they say, if you don't have your health you don't have anything.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It's definitely privilege. But I know for me, if my wife hadn't pushed me to go to Mayo clinic (or if my insurance hadn't let me), I'd very likely be dead or have been seriously disabled because of the rank incompetence of the doctors I had locally. This was way before COVID and I'm sure things are even worse in many places in terms of access to competent specialists.

I know the nearest real university hospital which is supposed to be good is also massively backed up so it's not like that's a guarantee either though. Also maybe I should plan on keeping enough cash on hand to bribe the ambulance driver to take us there instead of the local shithole if one of us ever needs a ride in the wee-woo wagon.

This is all evidence of a good and working healthcare system.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Oct 6, 2023

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

can't take this thread seriously, full of doctor-havers smh

less facetiously though: i wonder if pax is available on darknet markets yet. i'll check sometime when i'm less lazy

e: to be clear i would def not recommend acquiring from a darknet market lol but i do wonder if it's made its way there

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Gunshow Poophole posted:

excuse me? Sir? One Specialist Doctor please, yes, thank you.

no, that's all today. How much? Mm OK well, you know what they say, if you don't have your health you don't have anything.

I'm sorry y'all are going through that poo poo. Been dealing with gastro as well on the homefront and thankfully have gotten through a diagnosis to treatment in under like three months, most of which was waiting for gov help stuff. On the upside, ended up with literally (no joke) $30k bottle of pills for 10bux lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
beef stew cough coworker went to the local university (UW medicine) who had him see a NP who told him he had asthma and gave him an inhaler.

didn't test for RSV. didn't test for covid.