Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

She didn't do anything wrong in that though :question:

No one who tries to fry an egg like this can be called right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
VHS 85 was pretty good, Scott Derrickson's short was the stand out for me

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

weekly font posted:

I went to Japan, experienced the electric kettle and bought one immediately when I got back. Also an attachable bidet. Us Americans really are a bunch of hooting pigs with doodoo rear end

How well does the kettle work? I remember hearing something about how they don't work as well in America do to power differences but while that sounded like BS I don't know enough to be sure.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Schwarzwald posted:

How well does the kettle work? I remember hearing something about how they don't work as well in America do to power differences but while that sounded like BS I don't know enough to be sure.

Mine works great. Bought it from WalMart and it's one of those purchases I wish I made ages back.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My mum's side of the family is from England (and I was born there) so I grew up with an electric kettle and it's weird when I find a household that doesn't. They're just so useful!

Nowadays I have a hot water dispenser. drat I'm gonna go make some tea now.

Oh and to keep things on topic, I'm watching the movie May from 2002 and wow they had NO idea how to advertise this movie huh

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh and to keep things on topic, I'm watching the movie May from 2002 and wow they had NO idea how to advertise this movie huh

i mean they released it in fuckin February, so bravo on that one marketing team

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

May, like Ravenous, is a 10/10 movie that seems kind of impossible to advertise for beyond "hey, weirdos!"

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hello spookadoodlers! I’d like to invite everyone to join in this year’s Annual Scream Stream. This year’s theme: Too Hot for TV, featuring horror movies banned or censored in first world countries.

The preshow music will start at 8:00PM EST, and the features will begin at 8:30. Watch here: https://beta.watchw.me/Lurdiak

And feel free to hop on the discord where most of the chatting will go on. Work is being done to integrate the website chat client to the discord so that you don’t need to join the server, and should be set up soon.
https://discord.gg/ne67A5DQ

Oh, and tonight’s features will be:

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0077681/parentalguide

Followed by:

The Toxic Avenger (1984)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0090190/parentalguide

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Schwarzwald posted:

Soooo much faster than a kettle on a gas stove and light years faster than a kettle on an electric range. Just pick one thats like 20-25 bucks on amazon and has a good rating.

I’m on call this weekend and tethered to my computer so give me some tubi recs that aren’t History of Occult, I already did that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Phy posted:

They have a swimming pool named after a Prime Minister who got washed out to sea and was never seen again

The CIA replaced another one of their Prime Ministers and nobody ever talks about it.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Schwarzwald posted:

They work exactly the same as the UK. The US and Europe have different standards for electricity but there's nothing magic about electric kettles that cause them to not work on the US standard. Weird elitist beliefs like that are what caused the UK to blow a 13 colony lead against us in the first place but they never learn :fsmug:

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 6, 2023

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

fr0id posted:

Hello spookadoodlers! I’d like to invite everyone to join in this year’s Annual Scream Stream. This year’s theme: Too Hot for TV, featuring horror movies banned or censored in first world countries.

The preshow music will start at 8:00PM EST, and the features will begin at 8:30. Watch here: https://beta.watchw.me/Lurdiak

And feel free to hop on the discord where most of the chatting will go on. Work is being done to integrate the website chat client to the discord so that you don’t need to join the server, and should be set up soon.
https://discord.gg/ne67A5DQ

And I'm off today. I can't wait for this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Schwarzwald posted:

UK electric kettles do boil noticeably faster (typically at least twice as fast) than kettles in North America, simply due to the wattage. We use them a lot in Canada and they're still a bit faster than stovetop, but it's not quite like European kettles that can boil two cups of water in forty-five seconds.

To put it in horror terms, a British woman who wants to throw half a gallon of boiling water on the maniac with the knife who's invading her home will only have to wait about three minutes, while an American woman who wants to do the same will probably have to wait at least six minutes.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

May, like Ravenous, is a 10/10 movie that seems kind of impossible to advertise for beyond "hey, weirdos!"

This is so true. It's a top 3 horror (top 3 movies in general if I'm being honest) for me but as soon as you start trying to explain what it is you sound like a lunatic.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

May rules so fuckin hard. I think by and large I like all of Lucky McKee’s output I’ve seen even if none of them approach May levels. It’d be a great double feature with Excision.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah that poo poo was absolutely amazing. I dropped my full thoughts in the challenge thread but I'm gonna be buzzing about that one for a while. What an incredible surprise.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
All these talk about Kettles you’d be surprised what they can do, I work in a prison here where the prisoners only get kettles in their cells, I’ve seen them cook up some incredible looking meals using nothing but a couple of cheap as poo poo kettles.

This does have the side effect of blowing the power in the cell occasionally but that’ll happen when the buildings wiring is like a thousand years old….

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

May rules so fuckin hard. I think by and large I like all of Lucky McKee’s output I’ve seen even if none of them approach May levels. It’d be a great double feature with Excision.

Roman is a really interesting no-budget companion piece that flew under the radar. Written by and starring Lucky McKee but directed by Angela Bettis. Worth a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8GrVRZq5A

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Any particular brands to favor/stay away from kettle wise or do they all work just as well?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

To put it in horror terms, a British woman who wants to throw half a gallon of boiling water on the maniac with the knife who's invading her home will only have to wait about three minutes, while an American woman who wants to do the same will probably have to wait at least six minutes.

LMAO

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is so true. It's a top 3 horror (top 3 movies in general if I'm being honest) for me but as soon as you start trying to explain what it is you sound like a lunatic.

I think this description has convinced me to give it a try.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

Any particular brands to favor/stay away from kettle wise or do they all work just as well?

I would not go with Exploding Electric Kettle & Sons

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just used my electric kettle to make tea. I have the plague!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
a kettle that bottles lightning and boils without fire? sounds like witchcraft

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My mum's side of the family is from England (and I was born there) so I grew up with an electric kettle and it's weird when I find a household that doesn't. They're just so useful!

Nowadays I have a hot water dispenser. drat I'm gonna go make some tea now.

We replaced our electric kettle with a dispenser when the kettle poo poo the bed and I'll never look back.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

UK electric kettles do boil noticeably faster (typically at least twice as fast) than kettles in North America, simply due to the wattage. We use them a lot in Canada and they're still a bit faster than stovetop, but it's not quite like European kettles that can boil two cups of water in forty-five seconds.

Plugging a lower-wattage electric kettle (like those from the US or Japan) into a more powerful 240v UK outlet can also be a fire risk, just in case the writers of the next Final Destination film are reading this and need an unlikely series of events to culminate in someone's grisly death.

"Ooh, blimey, I can't believe I got safely off that doomed plane. Now to have a nice cuppa." Etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I still haven't seen May even though it's been on my watchlist for like a decade. I always think "I should definitely watch this for the next May Challenge thread", forget about it when the challenge actually comes around, remember it in like July and then decide I'll definitely watch it next May. I might just bite the bullet and watch it this weekend.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone seen When Evil Lurks yet? Might check it out today (in my ongoing crusade to bankrupt movie pass), seems like it could be good.

I tried getting into VHS but bounced off the first segment in the first movie (with like the frat guys and vampire lady or whatever? Such cringe 2000s energy) but I should prolly skip around and watch the good bits.
Whoever recommended Ura Horror that was solid, like a little j horror short story collection, I actually liked how short each of the bits are. Not all of them hit, there was more humor than I expected, I'd say it was pretty good overall.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone seen When Evil Lurks yet? Might check it out today (in my ongoing crusade to bankrupt movie pass), seems like it could be good.

It's incredibly brutal but I loved it. Shudder may be turning it into a series.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Gaz2k21 posted:

All these talk about Kettles you’d be surprised what they can do, I work in a prison here where the prisoners only get kettles in their cells, I’ve seen them cook up some incredible looking meals using nothing but a couple of cheap as poo poo kettles.

This does have the side effect of blowing the power in the cell occasionally but that’ll happen when the buildings wiring is like a thousand years old….

I use mine for anything I'd need hot water for. Cup noodles, tea, instant flavored coffee, instant oatmeal, got a pot boiling on the stove and it got a bit low-off to the kettle to add some more hot water.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yesterday at work one of the managers was ready to hurry up to box to let me know that even with it not listing a rating, to treat it as rated R, only to have the other managers point out I likely already know, have already seen the red band trailer and will likely be grumbling that we don't have earlier showings so I can catch it before my shift.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Shocking nobody, Exorcist: Believer stinks. I really hope it underperforms so they can finally admit DGG is bad at horror movies.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Shocking nobody, Exorcist: Believer stinks. I really hope it underperforms so they can finally admit DGG is bad at horror movies.

The consensus at work is it doesn't do anything that wasn't done in the original, and it doesn't do them as good as the original.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why the exorcist is my question

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Why the exorcist is my question

It has extremely high name recognition.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
people know about the exorcist. make new the exorcist movie. people recognize the exorcist and see new the exorcist movie. profit? (maybe)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They don’t lol

That drat pazuzu is at it again!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

M_Sinistrari posted:

The consensus at work is it doesn't do anything that wasn't done in the original, and it doesn't do them as good as the original.

It's just really loving dull more than anything. Nothing in it you've not seen a billion times if you've seen any possession movie made in the past 20 years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
These big iconic horror properties are always in a rotation. You always have producers looking around trying to figure out which famous horror franchise is in that sweet spot where it's been dormant for long enough that people would be hyped for it but not for so long that people have totally forgotten it. It was The Exorcist's turn apparently. Five years ago it was Halloween, two years ago it was Candyman.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Pope's Exorcist was a pretty decent possession movie but it goes so hard at the end then becomes the Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m stupid as gently caress and mostly turn my brain down to a comforting hum when I watch movies but even despite that, May is one of the most thematically coherent movies I’ve ever seen.

I really dug it!!

Also finished V/H/S/85 earlier today. Pretty fun! I have a crush on Gigi Saul Guerrero and I liked that she got to play a bit part in her own segment. Then in the credits I saw she got her dad involved :3: