Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

if you mean novavax, you already got an updated covid vax

right yes, thanks!
https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/coronavirus-covid-19-cber-regulated-biologics/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine
vs
https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/coronavirus-covid-19-cber-regulated-biologics/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine

This thread is basically getting me confused about what the best course of action is re:protection. :-/

https://twitter.com/Friesein/status/1709286270030012470

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

my covid shot got rescheduled to next monday, booooo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

No one knows the best course of action because they stopped doing any announcements. The best course of action is to get the latest vax every year, just like the flu, and more often if it's available.

And hope for the best.

As a fully vaxed dude that still got COVID you'll probably be okay. I'm not in great shape and I'm not young and it was like a bad cold for 4 days.

Your experience may vary but there's not much you can do especially if you work around other meat sacks.

Hope that helps.

I'm personally glad that they had the ability to create a vaccine despite its failure at making us all immune, it does work to lessen side effects to a significant degree. Ask the idiots declined to be vaccinated until they were dying on respirators begging to be vaccinated.

Welcome to global warming. Disease and life is only going to get worse as we continue this journey.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Private Cumshoe posted:

My sister ..., has permabronchitis from smoking and drinking without much stopping.

Not to sidetrack anything, but does alcoholism actually give you bronchitis?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2081157/

Aside from smoking, which is a well-known risk factor for developing COPD, little is known about other factors that impact risk for developing airflow obstruction. The term “whiskey bronchitis” is an expression that was often used to describe the high prevalence of bronchitis in alcoholics (Lyons et al., 1986).

I mean alcohol is corrosive and it hurts the same parts of your body that's smoking does until it fits into your lungs so...

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

null_pointer posted:

Not to sidetrack anything, but does alcoholism actually give you bronchitis?

I think it's more the smoking but it probably doesn't help

If it's covid she's probably had it before though and a couple times, would be shocked if not, she'll be fine I'm sure

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Wendigee posted:

Your experience may vary but there's not much you can do especially if you work around other meat sacks.

I'm a weirdo that's been working in the office since October of 2021 and haven't caught it. My secret is my N95 mask that I wear at all times when I'm indoors at work. Imo it's worth trying to avoid infection as long as possible due to the persistent risk of long covid even amongst the vaccinated.

If you've got kids you're probably SOL. I'd still mask to reduce my chance of transmitting to others.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

One big thing to remember with Novavax is that a lot of people bought the stock when it was high and are eager to repeat and exaggerate any superlative claims about it. If someone's entire twitter identity is about it that's probably why.

This has the power to inspire wishful thinking.
I don't think there's anything wrong with novavax and it's built on good proven technology but I also don't think there's much reason to believe it's better than mrna vaccines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/jeffgilchrist/status/1700854119223685245

This is an idiotic take on why it’s actually encouraging that the fox did not grasp the grapes.

I’m glad that Novavax caught up this year, but no amount of soapbark extract is likely to make up for major structural differences between circulating strains of Omicron and the antique spike presented by their first‐generation vaccine.

It’s probably a fine product when they can get it manufactured in a timely fashion, but it’s hard to say because they didn’t get it made in all of 2021, and by 2022 its pure wildtype formula was apples‐to‐oranges against the WT/BA.5 (U.S.) and WT/BA.1 (most of the rest of the world) mRNA vaccines. Hardly anyone got it in the end, so real‐world data on effectiveness is thin.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Deeply curious whether Novavax will end up being a worthwhile option.

I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until better vaccines come along, but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two boosts exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Unfortunately I need to get some dental work done and there's no way I'm stepping into a dentist's office without being freshly boosted, especially since that appointment will assuredly land right at the height of this wave, so I'm weighing my options on what to get this time 'round.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Kestral posted:

I’ve yet to get COVID, respirator life is real until better vaccines come along, but the boosters now lay me out for most of a week, and the last two boosts exhibited some rather alarming symptoms that seem in line with myocarditis. Unfortunately I need to get some dental work done and there's no way I'm stepping into a dentist's office without being freshly boosted, especially since that appointment will assuredly land right at the height of this wave, so I'm weighing my options on what to get this time 'round.

I spent a day calling around to various dentist offices in my city to find one who still had decent covid protocols. Finally found one, who now has the entire local Still-COVIDing group as new patients.

It might be worth the time to do the same. Dental health has implications for overall health and immune health.

Look for a dentist with

Non-open office space (my dentist has cleaning/exam rooms with doors that close)
Good Air filters

Happily tooth dust is toxic, so most dentists/assistants seem on top of masking during procedures. With a quality air filter in the room, you could put on a mask when they're not working on your mouth and be pretty secure.

The non-open office space is probably the biggest goal IMO. Only sharing air with a dental assistant or two vs the aerosolized particles of the entire dental practice is a good win to shoot for.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kestral posted:

Which specific shots did you get? Every Moderna vaccination I got thoroughly kicked my rear end, but the Pfizer bivalent I got last time was no worse than a flu shot for me, very mild and manageable. If all your shots have been from the same manufacturer, trying the other one seems like it would be worth a shot. If you've gotten that level of side effects from both of them, then giving Novavax a shot seems like a reasonable thing to try, if it's actually available.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I spent a day calling around to various dentist offices in my city to find one who still had decent covid protocols. Finally found one, who now has the entire local Still-COVIDing group as new patients.

It might be worth the time to do the same. Dental health has implications for overall health and immune health.

Completely agree. Dentistry for anything other than aesthetics is non-optional, I've seen too many really horrible problems arise from neglected teeth to take any chances there. Let that poo poo go long enough and you'll be in the hospital, and if your goal is Not Getting COVID then a week-long hospital stay is worse than a couple hours at a dentist's office by far. Sadly my choices of offices are fairly limited around here, and my region is fairly chuddy so I don't have high hopes for finding an office that gives a poo poo, but it'll be worth asking around during the two-week downtime while I wait for the shot to kick in.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Which specific shots did you get? Every Moderna vaccination I got thoroughly kicked my rear end, but the Pfizer bivalent I got last time was no worse than a flu shot for me, very mild and manageable. If all your shots have been from the same manufacturer, trying the other one seems like it would be worth a shot. If you've gotten that level of side effects from both of them, then giving Novavax a shot seems like a reasonable thing to try, if it's actually available.

Pfizer and Moderna alternating, twice each; I was keeping an every-six-months schedule for a while, until I started getting concerned about how I was reacting to them. The original 2021 shots were not fun experiences, but the 2022 ones were noticeably worse both in symptoms and duration. I get hit harder by these things than anyone I know.

Novavax isn't available anywhere yet, but they've said they expect to have it in pharmacies next week. I'm currently planning on waiting until I can book that appointment, then looking at the current state of the data and making a choice one way or another. Fingers crossed!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Which specific shots did you get? Every Moderna vaccination I got thoroughly kicked my rear end, but the Pfizer bivalent I got last time was no worse than a flu shot for me, very mild and manageable.

It's been interesting to see how everyone has had such different reactions to each type. Every Pfizer made me wish I was dead because the bonitis was so bad, but I barely felt anything after a Moderna booster.

Just got a Pfizer booster, I'm curious about how it'll affect me since my last booster was last fall, and I had covid in February.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

It's been interesting to see how everyone has had such different reactions to each type. Every Pfizer made me wish I was dead because the bonitis was so bad, but I barely felt anything after a Moderna booster.

Just got a Pfizer booster, I'm curious about how it'll affect me since my last booster was last fall, and I had covid in February.

There's so much individual variation on how people react to various drugs and such that it makes some sense to me that the reactions are all over the place. My own experience of side effects with Moderna weren't even consistent between shots in anything other than them being really bad. That said, as far as I know I have still managed to avoid getting COVID despite exposures, unless I had an asymptomatic case and literally couldn't tell.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I had my first Moderna booster today after getting Pfizers for all previous shots. Did anyone else get a minor wave of dizziness and nausea seconds after the injection? I started feeling woozy as I sat down in the 15 minute observation area but it went away after a few minutes and now I just have a sore shoulder. It's possible it's just from standing in line in hot weather, or the fact that all I had for breakfast was maple pecan ice cream.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dick Jones posted:

I had my first Moderna booster today after getting Pfizers for all previous shots. Did anyone else get a minor wave of dizziness and nausea seconds after the injection? I started feeling woozy as I sat down in the 15 minute observation area but it went away after a few minutes and now I just have a sore shoulder. It's possible it's just from standing in line in hot weather, or the fact that all I had for breakfast was maple pecan ice cream.

I believe it’s one of the known side effects of any kind of injection.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dick Jones posted:

It sounds like the latter bit was the most likely cause - if your system was already stressed, the shot probably could have been saline and you could have had a similar reaction.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah that's a normal reaction to injections and similar. I randomly got nauseous once during a blood draw even though I've had blood drawn several times before and since without issue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

Yeah that's a normal reaction to injections and similar. I randomly got nauseous once during a blood draw even though I've had blood drawn several times before and since without issue.

Yeah there was a study on covid vaxx side effects really early on and pretty much all the minor side effects (redness around injection site, swelling, muscle pain, light-headedness, etc) also occurred in similar numbers in the placebo group who got saline shots

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I'm doing a booster shot tomorrow. It'll be shot #4 for me. If you add up the number of doses my entire family has taken, it comes out to... 4.

I had covid once, in July 2022. It felt exactly the same as the vaccine side effects, just magnified.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I got the COVID. Started Paxlovid yesterday. They are really huge pills.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hollismason posted:

I got the COVID. Started Paxlovid yesterday. They are really huge pills.

yeah, and ritonavir tastes like poo poo

well, up until the taste clears for 30-60 minutes and you are reminded that you have a dose coming up

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MrQwerty posted:

yeah, and ritonavir tastes like poo poo

well, up until the taste clears for 30-60 minutes and you are reminded that you have a dose coming up

Yeah they do taste like poo poo but better than the alternative lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they do taste like poo poo but better than the alternative lol.

yeah, my girlfriend brought it home from work and got real sick on Tuesday, popped hot and got on paxlovid Wednesday morning. I started testing positive on Wednesday night and got on pax Thursday morning. She got it way worse than I did, she was bedridden for a day. The worst I got was pretty much half as bad as the peak of my first shot of Moderna, plus a you know you're sick cough and a tinnitus I've never had before as a tinnitus-haver. I knew I was getting sick while I was still testing negative, because I started feeling like I just got a COVID booster.

Oh well, it was a good near-3-year run. Just so happened to be the week we had boosters scheduled. At least nobody lost their senses.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 7, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I mean Im not bed bound I just have head ache stuff nose occasionally. The Night shakes are not pleasant though. Waking up in the middle of the night freezing.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I mean Im not bed bound I just have head ache stuff nose occasionally. The Night shakes are not pleasant though. Waking up in the middle of the night freezing.

that sucks, I got real sick again right before my second dose of pax on the first day, but since then I've basically... not felt like I'm sick, really, while obviously having physical symptoms of an infection. It's weird. poo poo's a miracle drug, my girlfriend went from nonstop coughing fits to a coughing fit once an hour within 3-5 hours of her first dose.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah it just feels like a head cold. Also this happened while family were visiting and we had tickets to multiple broadway shows. So I get to isolate in my room while they travel everywhere without me.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
For me, the taste went away when I was actually tasting something else, so I got a big bag of sugarfree cough drops, and then it was nbd. Totally worth a shot

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

The worst I got was pretty much half as bad as the peak of my first shot of Moderna, plus a you know you're sick cough and a tinnitus I've never had before as a tinnitus-haver.

One of the side effects from my first Moderna shot was hyperacusis (severe sound sensitivity) to a level I'm not sure I've experienced before. My hearing was so sensitive that regular noises sounded incredibly loud, and the sound of an automatic garage door opener made me wince in pain. I've only experienced anything like that with a couple of incredibly bad hangovers and one or two of my concussions, and it was weird to just have it show up as a side effect to a vaccination. Hearing you got weird tinnitus from it makes sense to me.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

One of the side effects from my first Moderna shot was hyperacusis (severe sound sensitivity) to a level I'm not sure I've experienced before. My hearing was so sensitive that regular noises sounded incredibly loud, and the sound of an automatic garage door opener made me wince in pain. I've only experienced anything like that with a couple of incredibly bad hangovers and one or two of my concussions, and it was weird to just have it show up as a side effect to a vaccination. Hearing you got weird tinnitus from it makes sense to me.

So you're saying vaccination turned you into Daredevil?

I don't know, I've only had weird dreams and swollen lymph nodes. And a super loving sore arm. Some of my friends are out for days though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't know, I've only had weird dreams and swollen lymph nodes. And a super loving sore arm. Some of my friends are out for days though.

It's very weird, but part of me honestly wonders if my hearing isn't slightly more acute now, still. :shrug: It's hard to say, because my hearing is way better than it should be to begin with - with all the abuse it has put up with over the years, and looking at others in my family, I should have some kind of impairment or tinnitus, but instead my hearing is sometimes annoyingly good.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Surely you mean Batman?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

we just tested. She's got 3 doses of paxlovid left and came up negative, I've got 5 left and came up very weakly positive, faintest of the faint lines. A+ experience would take paxlovid again (i never want to take paxlovid again)

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Stockpiling 8 courses of paxlovid between two people is a bit ??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shazbot posted:

Stockpiling 8 courses of paxlovid between two people is a bit ??

Doses, not courses.

Three doses means a day and a half left in the course. Five would be two and a half days in, i.e. halfway.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

A dose is how much you take at once, not a full prescription

Edit: beaten

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Ah my bad carry on

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean I feel like the paxlovid is working I've had three doses so far. I havent had any medication since 10am this morning and have felt pretty normal since then no need for tylenol or anything really.. Hopefully this past night was the last nights of the chills.

I plan to take some cold and flu medicine before sleep tonight to kind of help me go to sleep and hope I feel better.

Also I was vaccinated a total of 6 times. I haven't gotten the newest vax though because I could get an appointment.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
I thought the general sentiment of the medical community is that you don't need antivirals?