Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dick Fontaine posted:

lower decks doing rom dirty :mad:
Wondering if this was from before you finished the episode, because Rom and Leeta were just running a con to see if the Federation was competent enough to figure it out and outsmart them. He was playing dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Yeah I liked that LD twist. Then me and my kid watched Take me out to the holodeck so I could show her who Rom and Leeta were. Love that episode for the fun and the message. Worf's lines are choice too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I felt it was completely obvious from jump they were playing a con. Freeman saw through it right away. Like, that wasn't even supposed to be a twist, it was designed to show Freeman excelling where the admiralty was failing.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Kirk saw the writing on the wall, never become an Admiral they'll just stick you behind a desk for years and when you finally get a real assignment you've been away from star trekking for so long it always becomes a clusterfuck

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if star trek were written again today it wouldnt have a naval command structure

both because people dont like that kind of tv anymore and because it doesnt mesh with updated views of a utopian future

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

reminds me of that bit in TOS first pilot (iirc) where they ping a space anomaly or something and its this obnoxious series of pings in a row.

All the naval references and background are pretty neat to me. Gives them a ton of real lore to draw on for the shows.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

GolfHole posted:

if star trek were written again today it wouldnt have a naval command structure

both because people dont like that kind of tv anymore and because it doesnt mesh with updated views of a utopian future

Yeah definitely people don't like procedurals based on ranked organizations these days for sure

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

Yeah definitely people don't like procedurals based on ranked organizations these days for sure

Yeah, especially if they can combine police procedural with armed forces, like "Crime Investigators for Navy Services" or something, CINS or you mind. That sure spells cancellation mid-season 1.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Star Trek: Holodeck Crimes Unit

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Animal-Mother posted:

Barclay is in every episode

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Its always sex crime and it always gets worse. Barclay and La Forge are regular visiting characters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In the Starfleet justice system, holographically-based offenses are considered especially unhealthy. Onboard the Enterprise, the dedicated therapists who investigate these innocent faux pas are members of an elite squad known as the Hologram Victims Unit. These are their stories.

BEEP BOOP

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Animal-Mother posted:

It would be easier to use a reverse backlight that glows where there ISNT cum

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Lord Hydronium posted:

Wondering if this was from before you finished the episode, because Rom and Leeta were just running a con to see if the Federation was competent enough to figure it out and outsmart them. He was playing dumb.

yeah, they went real hard on that and it felt like a step backwards in characterization to me. too much focus on rubbing in the nostalgia bait

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dick Fontaine posted:

yeah, they went real hard on that and it felt like a step backwards in characterization to me. too much focus on rubbing in the nostalgia bait

IMHO This also happened with the earlier DS9 episode where they visited the DS9 station. For LDS very mediocre episode where the only redeeming quality is "Look Paramount green-lighted us to use DS9 setting".

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dick Fontaine posted:

In Lower Decks? You surprise me.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

It's the little touches that make episodes fun. A few naked Ferengi around. Rutherford and Tendi happy foot taps under the shuttle at the start. The 'Mariner has to figure out why she's so self destructive thing' is starting to wear a bit thin. Lower Decks continues to be enjoyable at worst and sometimes pretty great.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah this last LD episode fell into the category of “it’s fine I guess except for what Boimler is doing which is really great”

It’s getting a season 5 and I think it’d be a good idea to end it there

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 6, 2023

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Maybe Mariner just needs something to rebel against, are the romulans going to become real villains again before their sun goes superdupernova(?) and they lose their empire?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Migleemo would have a lot in common with Ferengi in a way since they commonly eat their mother's regurgitated food, even in adulthood!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Migleemo would have a lot in common with Ferengi in a way since they commonly eat their mother's regurgitated food, even in adulthood!

And occasionally fighting with malfunctioning replicators

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Whoa, what's Tom Paris doing in a cadet uniform hanging with Wesley in this TNG episode?

EDIT: Why are they calling him Locarno?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
betazoids can get a virus that makes people fuckin horny

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Outpost22 posted:

Whoa, what's Tom Paris doing in a cadet uniform hanging with Wesley in this TNG episode?

EDIT: Why are they calling him Locarno?

They made him an Original Character Do Not Steal in Voyager so they didn't have to pay the writer of that episode

lol :capitalism:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's part of it. there's also how locarno was a little too nasty a character to use for the paris role. so nick locarno with a fake mustache and a slightly better backstory was born.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
He should've actually had the mustache in the penal colony and pulled it off like Tom Riker after accepting Janeway's offer. With no explanation and no dramatic music.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPCGkHjsK9M

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

It’s getting a season 5 and I think it’d be a good idea to end it there

I think it could do a full seven, but I'd be fine with five as long as Mike McMahan and the other Lower deck creatives was given more Trek stuff to do. The teams behind, LDS, SNW, and Prodogy are great, and Paramount would be idiots to lose them.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that's part of it. there's also how locarno was a little too nasty a character to use for the paris role. so nick locarno with a fake mustache and a slightly better backstory was born.

iirc Paris was supposed to be a nasty character too but he got diluted by the writers.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Another Bill posted:

iirc Paris was supposed to be a nasty character too but he got diluted by the writers.

Then they made him bad again but it was a fakeout and he was actually extra good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's a filthy lie. paris never got better than okay.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
He hosed a shuttlecraft

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Nice to see prodigy finally acknowledged

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

maybealabia posted:

He hosed a shuttlecraft

That's a mean thing to call Kes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The General fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 7, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
He also hosed Captain Janeway when they were both polymorphed into salamanders

Never scored with the Delaney sisters, though

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I think there is a good case to be made about Tom Paris being an even bigger creep than Neelix. He was definitely after Kes, as shown by the ep where she's traveling into the future and has his kid. But whereas Neelix is a weird ugly cat alien with an alien sense of morality, Paris should be an enlightened Starfleet human who should think it's just as weird as we do. Plus on top of all that, he's a douchebag trying to steal a dorky catman's girl.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ever played a trombone with your butt?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They had so little chemistry you could easily think dorky catman was an over protective father figure, except they kept telling us it was a romantic thing. If the writers came out and said "they never had sex" that would be totally believable.

Given the bizarre Ocompan reproductive system it is totally plausible that her vajazzle is on her shoulder and only opens one time in her whole life. That's why he was so shook when she went into horny prematurely and wanted him to father her babies. It wasn't that he wasn't ready to be a father, it's that he was a permavirgin and terrified of having to perform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it just me or is the new lower decks episode name a play on Garth Marenghi's darkplace.

Yes?