Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Votto is the kind of veteran presence that is actually beneficial to younger guys - a 40 year old man who acts like an overgrown teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
MLB teams don't really have the roster flexibility to carry a Veteran Presence who can't hit good pitching anymore and can't play any position but first base.

He'll get offers but it'll be from teams like the Pirates and Royals. Teams that are both bad and have no obvious first baseman already, and just want someone casual fans have heard of to put a picture of on the tickets and marketing emails.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eric the Mauve posted:

MLB teams don't really have the roster flexibility to carry a Veteran Presence who can't hit good pitching anymore and can't play any position but first base.

Tell that to the Cubs who signed not one but two guys - one of them to actual money - who fit this bill exactly this year and then hemmed and hawed about how they can't bring up the AAA 1B OPS'ing close to 1.000 because he was blocked. :shepicide:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Eppler legit resigned because of phantom IL stints, that seems like an overreaction? It's seems a common enough practice and even fans want players to get a phantom injury every now and then to rest or recalibrate

It's possible that they phantom IL'ed a player who didn't agree with the decision. You have to have full buy in from the player to get away with it.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There's no way Votto could end his career that'd be better than getting tossed for arguing balls and strikes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Tell that to the Cubs who signed not one but two guys - one of them to actual money - who fit this bill exactly this year and then hemmed and hawed about how they can't bring up the AAA 1B OPS'ing close to 1.000 because he was blocked. :shepicide:

Matt Mervis in 27 games managed to rack up -0.4 WAR. Not saying the Cubs should sign more veteran 1b's but uh, Mervis wasn't really the answer this year. I hope he can come up next year and mash but really they ought to just sign my good friend Cody.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes they do, they just decide to carry 84 relievers instead

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bregor posted:

Yes they do, they just decide to carry 84 relievers instead

Teams can only carry 13 pitchers.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Votto on the 2023 Mariners just sounds correct, to me.

he can be signed for spring training then dealt by late April. Everyone wins.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I would wear the hell out of a Votto Mariners jersey even if he got cut in spring training.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

He'll get offers but it'll be from teams like the Pirates and Royals. Teams that are both bad and have no obvious first baseman already, and just want someone casual fans have heard of to put a picture of on the tickets and marketing emails.

If there's one thing the Royals have it's an abundance of 1B who can't really hit or field that well (Nick Pratto) and guys who can hit but should never see the field (Nelson Velasquez, Edward Oliveras).

Also Pasquantino will be back next year and he's dreamy but can't really play anywhere but 1B or DH

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, none of them are really any good so it would be no great loss to play Votto's decaying corpse instead.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

Yeah I was gonna say his plate discipline and bat speed are mostly cooked and it's weird to see Votto striking out a ton but also he did the crusty old vet slugger thing where he was just cheating for one pitch and if he got it, it was gone.

He still drew a lot of walks and his strikeout numbers don't seem that out of whack with the last few seasons. I think it's probably the bat speed thing mainly, lots of weak contact when instead it would be solid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Matt Mervis in 27 games managed to rack up -0.4 WAR. Not saying the Cubs should sign more veteran 1b's but uh, Mervis wasn't really the answer this year. I hope he can come up next year and mash but really they ought to just sign my good friend Cody.

By this logic Anthony Rizzo wasn't the answer after he racked up -0.4 WAR after 49 games in his rookie year.

The Cubs came out of the gate pretty much saying this was going to be an in-between year where they expected to do better but probably not make the playoffs, and I still don't understand why they then didn't see it as the perfect year to trial run Mervis full time instead of begrudgingly bringing him up for a very brief stint in the middle of the season after their inexplicable crusty vet signings both predictably fell flat.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every fan currently hates the Jays so he can replace Brandon Belt and cheer us all up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MERVIS WILL RETURN

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sandy Alcantara needs TJ as well

RIP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sandy Alcantara needs TJ as well

RIP
This sucks but considering how shaky he was this year, I can't say I'm surprised

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

joey votto can fix ty france and eugenio suarez

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

N: The Blue Jays have confirmed that John Schneider will be back as manager next year
V: lol :smith:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

The Berzerker posted:

N: The Blue Jays have confirmed that John Schneider will be back as manager next year
V: lol :smith:

really? Arghh. I thought for sure they would dump him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's not the problem. He's a virtual machine for the front office.

Lol Atkins threw Schneider under the bus.

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1710673115007623281

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1710674142196908190

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1710676475765051565

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/status/1710677249790218450

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 7, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

After that presser I'm actually surprised the Atkins is bringing Schneider back cause Schneider made it pretty clear post game 2 that the Berrios move was something planned pregame with the entire front office and now Atkins is absolving himself.

This front office is a fuckin dumpster fire and both Atkins and Schneider are gonna get canned in May if the Jays come out struggling next year.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Isn't Schneider an in-house guy they promoted to manager? Atkins is talking about him like he's someone forced on him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mr. Fix It posted:

joey votto can fix ty france and eugenio suarez

Votto and Ohtani to the Mariners

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Some Numbers posted:

Votto and Ohtani to the Mariners

You'll get Alex Verdugo, Michael Busch, Curtis Mead, and Mike Yastrzemski and you'll like it.

(I would actually like that, that would be a very successful off-season).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Isn't Schneider an in-house guy they promoted to manager? Atkins is talking about him like he's someone forced on him.

Yes though he was part of the org long before Shapiro and Atkins got there. He managed Bichette/Vlad/Biggio through the minors which is largely why he got the job.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Honestly I think like pointing fingers at one specific bad decision like pulling Berrios, or Guerrero getting caught off of second is pointless because it's diverting attention away from the overall poor performance of the offense which dogged the team all year long after April ended.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Honestly I think like pointing fingers at one specific bad decision like pulling Berrios, or Guerrero getting caught off of second is pointless because it's diverting attention away from the overall poor performance of the offense which dogged the team all year long after April ended.
On paper that offense should have been one of the best in baseball, but yes, they clearly underperformed significantly and that doomed them in the end. I also don't know what you do about it going forward, because now Chapman is going to be a FA and I'm sure other players on that team are getting raises as well through arb.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yes but it also points to how hosed up the entire process is again and again with this front office/management team.

And now they're pointing fingers back and forth through the media at who's fault that process is.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They need to go out and get some dudes that crush dingers and don't need to be platooned. The entire team was built to emphasize defence and contact ability and well that doesn't get you anywhere in the playoffs. You need dudes that are hard to pitch to and they don't have enough of those.

Since the moment they started "rebuilding" it was consistently about building a high floor and they've never gone out and gotten high ceiling guys on offence outside of Springer who was always gonna fall off in the second half of his deal. The idea was to have a high floor team surrounding vlad and bo but there was never a backup plan if they didn't hit their ceilings

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think that Gabriel Moreno trade was a big mistake. Moreno is great and they also gave up Gurriel Jr who was pretty good. Varsho is alright but I think they lost that trade easily.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that Gabriel Moreno trade was a big mistake. Moreno is great and they also gave up Gurriel Jr who was pretty good. Varsho is alright but I think they lost that trade easily.

Big time. Cavan Biggio ended the season with a better slash line than Varsho despite not hitting for much power.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

From day one it was dumb as hell and i said as much at the time.

Varsho was just another raise the floor move. His ceiling is a league average hitter with very good defence which is nice and all but Moreno's ceiling is best catcher in baseball.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was totally hilarious from the moment it was announced, and continues to be.

The Dbacks are pretty fun.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

From day one it was dumb as hell and i said as much at the time.

Varsho was just another raise the floor move. His ceiling is a league average hitter with very good defence which is nice and all but Moreno's ceiling is best catcher in baseball.

Yeah it was a horrible trade for Toronto that I didn't understand but greatly appreciated so that I did not have to watch a full season of Carson Kelly catching

Varsho is the best defensive CF in baseball but he's a sub-700 OPS hitter because of poor OBP. He's due for positive regression next year but still, Moreno + Gurriel helped propel the DBacks this year

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Forrest on Fire posted:

Varsho is the best defensive CF in baseball

…for now

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's cool that the jays the traded for "the best cf in baseball" and played him in LF

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's cool that the jays the traded for "the best cf in baseball" and played him in LF

In fairness, KK is also right up there in terms of "best cf's in baseball," and also the Jays did use Varsho in center field a lot.

P.S. RE-SIGN KK, for heck's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kiermaier is 34 next year. He won't be an elite defensive CF much longer, and his bat won't play every day in a corner. Would not re-sign unless it's cheap or only for 2 years.

He has been an awesome CF glove for a decade though and not appreciated nearly enough